The Daily Deal

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Fry_The_Guy, Aug 21, 2014.

1. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Mordecai's Staff Of Magma
    Peon's Prescription for Prodigious Multiplayers
    A lot of the time you can turn Volcano into a big rangeless Firestorm but obviously it's best when used in a one-sided fashion. The trick is playing in such a way that convinces your opponent that you aren't just passing to get them to waste move cards. Many a Volcano has been sniffed out by the infamous do nothing pass back. In fact, it's such a widely known phenomenon that I will sometimes fake pass with wizards holding mediocre cards that don't even run Volcano to see if my opponent will pass right back out of fear and allow me to craft a better hand. It works best when you can play a normal game of expending your visible move cards to encourage your opponent to do the same. That means running extra team moves, Telekinesis type spells, terrain overlays like Illusory Barrier, and traits like Dimensional Traveler. Priests complement the strategy well with cleanse effects and a few of their own terrain spells like Consecrate Ground. Now on to the bad news. Volcano sucks against highly mobile teams such as step attack warriors. Also, the higher your rating, the more likely your opponent will have a lot of experience playing around Volcanoes. Mordecai's Staff of Magma gives you access to a powerful strategy with huge potential but it's effectiveness is hinged upon what and how your opponents play. I can absolutely recommend it for certain leagues like Roll out the Barrels where you have tons of time to mess around and the rangeless nature of Volcano is invaluable. For top tier play, Volcano is more trouble than it's worth. Would purchase if you want to try the strategy out for yourself. Would not purchase expecting free wins.

Peon's Perspective for Penny-Pinching Singleplayers
    Yes, it costs double major tokens so you can only use it in modules level 14 and up. No, that doesn't matter diddly squat. Volcano will single handedly win you games. The most obvious example is the second level of Black Plume Mountain. Lay down a Volcano and those annoying Lightning Idols are dead in two turns, no questions asked. Volcano is so powerful that most of my high level farming parties are built around spamming them. There are a lot of modules where the enemies are too far away for Firestorm or you can't afford to take too much self damage. Highly recommend purchasing.

Substitutes
    Staff Of Blazing Sparks (E) (majortoken)(majortoken)

Did Peon Buy It?
    Yes, but not today. While still the best source of Volcano for multiplayer since it frees up arcane item slots for control spells that are hard to get on staves, I no longer think it is a must own for singleplayer. There were a bunch of Volcano arcane items released in the last expansion, most notably Nuclear Pistol. Combine those with Wym's Lavastaff and you get a few less Volcanoes but a whole lot more firepower in Dual Laser Beacon. I still think Mordecai's Staff of Magma is a great pickup since it gets you 4 arcane item's worth of Volcanoes in one go but if you only have gold for one farming staff, the clear choice is Wym's Lavastaff.

Epics
    Banik's Bubbling Bauble
    Double Firestorm legendaries aside, this is the Firestorm arcane item to use since it gives you great tools for getting your wizards into optimal Firstorming position.

McKay's Energy Cube
    Fine item to use while waiting for the premium Radiation Bomb items but that Healing Blessing is a real eyesore.

Oliver's Boots
    With the inclusion of Shimmering Aura and Rushing Aura, I'm guessing you're supposed to use Oliver's Boots to chase down wizards. Well, good luck with such terrible cards. Quickness Aura or, better yet, Energizing Move are much more reliable as they don't fall off to a light breeze.

Notable Rares
    Focused Healer (BN)
    Talented Healer a vamp priest's best friend. Not only do you get incidental heals from all your vamp attacks but by making them Cantrip, you can chain them together and suck people dry out of nowhere. With so many good low an no token items, vamp's usually don't have problem with the major token, but if you want to run vamps in low level modules Manifold Healer is the way to go.

Mirror Of Melting (P)
    When you're up against a pile of armor, there is no quicker or more efficient way off getting rid of it all than Boiling Armor. Two is the most you can get from an arcane item so Mirror of Melting is one of the best ways to get it. Akon's Amulet takes the armor removal even further with a Dissolve Armor which makes it better when you are expecting a ton of armor (I'm looking at you Blizzy) or when removing a particular armor is crucial (I'm looking at you Resistant Hide). That said, Dissolve Armor is much weaker to filler armors (I'm looking at you Officer's Harness) so just having a more impactful Stone Spikes can be more valuable.

Argy Bargy Brand Sneakers (U)
    Props to @SceoMyntan for creating these sweet pair of kicks. Ooze Shove is both a potential powerhouse and a liability as control cards go. Moving something 3 squares away is second only to Violent Spin, and that's if you choose to give up your starting position. That said, Slide Back cards are limited by any blocking terrain behind potential targets and Ooze Shove itself is a blockable melee card. Muscle Through fairs better in the Unblockable department but it too fairs poorly against Violent Spin. However, what you lose in quality you make up for it in quantity. Getting two control cards on minor token boots is incredibly rare. In fact, the only other options are also player created items. Muscle-Bound Boots gives you more consistency but in the form of underwhelming Muscle Throughs. The epic Fashionable Ball And Chain has a Lunging Bash that fairs better against blocking terrain and the almighty Violent Spin but at the high cost of randomly Halting.

(B)est of the Best
    Who need legendaries and epics when you have rares like these? This item is not only powerful but also fits in well established multiplayer or farming archetypes.

(N)iche
    This is a great item but fits in a very specific build. You should only consider purchasing if you have that particular strategy in your sights.

(P)layable
    Not the best. Not the worst. This item is simply solid all around and I believe could see play. If that isn't enough of a ringing endorsement then I don't know what is. Oh, and you can go ahead and assume that any item that falls into other categories is playable as well. I will not list things that I would not be willing to play myself.

(U)nique
    There is nothing quite like this item. Its cards or combination of cards are not found on other items of the same slot or not on other items period. If this item catches your fancy you should take a second look because you won't find anything similar elsewhere.

(V)alue
    There may be better options but this item won't bust your piggy bank.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
    SceoMyntan and Sir Veza like this.
  2. BlackVoidDeath

BlackVoidDeath Guild Leader

A player designed item, good for all classes - for warriors or priests to get characters out the way/into position and for support priests/mages to get the characters aways from them. For a (minortoken) it is not the best pair of boots but it would work very well in some builds. It would work well with savage curse mages because they can first use their move and then blast away.

SceoMyntan likes this.
  3. Rebel7284

Rebel7284 Ogre

Was thinking about buying Mordecai's Staff Of Magma. Then checked and saw that I have 6. That means I am winning at this game, right?

Sir Veza likes this.
  4. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

If you were playing to collect max usable of Mordecai's, you've already won. Gratz! :)

Rebel7284 likes this.
  5. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Sahagun's Sword
    Sahagun's Sword gives you armor removal and Cleansing effects but neither are particularly sought after on your average priest. While armor removal is always nice to have, priests tend to stay out of the action and cast spells. When you draw Sundering Strike, you'll need to decide if it's worth holding on to over more valuable cards or even if you'll have the opportunity to use it. That is why Sundering Strike is best when incidentally found on weapons with the cards you actually want. Cleansing Ray is just too narrow an effect to qualify. You need to be running Volcano or Irradiated Terrain yourself or you likely won't have any targets. There are better ways to get both "value" Sundering Strikes and Cleansing Rays. Would not purchase.

There are few modules where Cleaning Ray has targets and the mobs that use terrain attachments tend to be armorless. While Volcano is a popular farming card, you're also running a wizard with superior armor removal options. Not to mention, you've probably got better things to be doing than cycling Cleansing Rays anyways. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    Ripping Mace (E) (minortoken)(minortoken): Sundering Strike
    Bahoxl's Maul (E) (minortoken)(minortoken), Nanahut's Morningstar (E) (minortoken)(minortoken): Cleansing Ray

Did Peon Buy It?
    Nope. I almost never run Cleansing effects, even when I bring my own terrain attachments. Ditto for Sundering Strikes on priests unless they happen to be on stuff like Huetotl's Firebrand

Epics
    Hawlic's Armor
    Pretty much a Perilous Ringmail that charges you a minor token for an Officer's Harness.

Nifty Halberd
    Good mobility for a tokenless weapon but the attacks are too weak to consider running.

Untouchable Plate
    The way to go for Arrogant Armor on a priest.

Notable Rares
    Ritual Straps (B)
    Ritual Straps is one of the best tokenless divine armors. It helps keep you alive and ahead on cards with Lifesaving Block, gives you access to the incredibly useful Purging Burst, and all while allowing you to use your tokens elsewhere. If I could buy and play only one divine armor, Ritual Straps would be it. It is that good.

Tough Leather Cap (P)
    Both All Out Attack and Dash, Team! can be extremely powerful given the right circumstances which makes Tough Leather Cap one of the few minor token helmets worth investing a token in. All Out Attack gets much worse when you run a lot of low damage utility attacks like Nimble Strike and is extremely weak to blocks and Toughness so I would hesitate before throwing Tough Leather Cap on any warrior. Your other option for All Out Attack is Necalli Cap, which is much less impressive once you no longer need the speed boost. On the command front, you can upgrade to Sprint, Team! using various helmets, with the legendary Forrtesque's Feathered Cap and Wenham's Leather Coif topping the list. And if you're just looking for the best all around minor token helmet, my pick would be Angry Jack's Helmet with it's solid mix of armor, team movement, and melee buffing.

(B)est of the Best
    Who need legendaries and epics when you have rares like these? This item is not only powerful but also fits in well established multiplayer or farming archetypes.

(N)iche
    This is a great item but fits in a very specific build. You should only consider purchasing if you have that particular strategy in your sights.

(P)layable
    Not the best. Not the worst. This item is simply solid all around and I believe could see play. If that isn't enough of a ringing endorsement then I don't know what is. Oh, and you can go ahead and assume that any item that falls into other categories is playable as well. I will not list things that I would not be willing to play myself.

(U)nique
    There is nothing quite like this item. Its cards or combination of cards are not found on other items of the same slot or not on other items period. If this item catches your fancy you should take a second look because you won't find anything similar elsewhere.

(V)alue

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  6. Rebel7284

Rebel7284 Ogre

I will pretty often use my Sahagun's Sword in single player if I have leftover tokens after loading up on nimbus. Good attacks + works nicely with my Volcano wizard.

Not worth purchasing in my opinion, but I enjoy it in SP.

7. BlackVoidDeath

BlackVoidDeath Guild Leader

I used it in a 1600-1650 volcano deck, worked pretty well.

8. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Focused Thinker
    Focused Thinker has 2 things going for it. It removes handicaps that are Purge proof and it's the only human skill with cards that fully replace themselves. The bad news? Handicaps themselves are few and far between. You are only going to face handicaps if you run into a radiation priest using cards like Radiation Bomb. That is of course unless you bring your own handicaps to the party. Items like Enormous Mattock and Sacrificial Axe offer handicaps that card cycle and effectively reduce your deck size. They make drawing your best cards more likely but at fairly steep costs if you aren't packing answers. While Lateral Thinking is technically an answer, it is also a huge Catch-22. You need to have a significant amount of handicaps in your deck to even consider Lateral Thinking over more useful cards. At the same time, the more handicaps you put in your deck, the more likely you are to draw a handicap off of Lateral Thinking itself. What's the use of discarding a handicap if it's going to be replaced by another? This makes Focused Thinker better as a backup plan to Arrogant Armor. And at a major token, what an expensive backup plan it is. If I were to run Lateral Thinking, I would opt for the minor token Trained Tactics instead, especially if using a major token Arrogant Armor item like Bern's Untouchable Mail. But what about wizards that don't have access to Arrogant Armor? They don't really need it. All their best handicap trait cycling items have Combustible (harmless against non-burning opponents), Squeamish (easy to play around using attack buffs and non-targeting spells), and/or Vulnerable (if you're getting hit you're probably not winning anyways). Would not purchase

There are a couple handicap heavy modules in the EttSC expansion but you would be better served going with Arrogant Armor. When it rains handicaps it pours so you'll want the permanent solution that Arrogant Armor offers. This isn't an option for wizards of course but you can always bring a priest along packing answers like Genetic Engineering. Oh, and if you're looking for a way to deal with self imposed handicaps, there's an easy cost effective way to do it. Don't play any. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    None
    The Daily Deal

Did Peon Buy It?
    Nope. I'm not above paying major tokens for gimmicky cards but usually not when they're one shot effects.

Epics
    Cintxotl Mail
    Divine armor that would make any warrior jealous. Good option if you want a durable priest.

Xochu's Icy Circlet
    Best minor token Cold arcane item.

Yaro's Scepter
    Good substitute for the tokenless Firestorm legendaries for farming since it sometimes removes pesky armor cards.

Notable Rares
    Advanced Ferocity (NU)
    There is only one item with War Cry that isn't a helmet and you're looking at it. Getting rid of blocks can be useful when you know they're there but that isn't what makes Advanced Ferocity special. Rather, it's the massive amount of cards it lets you burn through. Sure, other dwarf skills have Dwarven Battle Cry but Advanced Ferocity is the only minor token skill that also gives you a cycling trait. There is no better skill to help you find the cards you need when you've got an all dwarf farming party. However, I would hold off on using it in multiplayer. Not only are you risking giving free cards to your opponent's dwarves but you're also forgoing incredible defensive options like Toughness when you do so.

Forceful Robes
    (BU)
    Resistant Hide is no longer the powerhouse it once was as many wizards have shifted away from burning and spark attacks but blanking entire strategies is still a bargain for a tokenless item, especially when there are few good alternatives. Forceful Robes also happens to be the only Resistant Hide robes with control spells if you discount the Whirlwinds on Tempest Robes. If you want a little more punch to go with your tokenless robes, the epic Rockshard Robes is the way to go. Firestorm farmers have the epic Firehide Robes to turn to. Alternatively, you can ditch Keep armor altogether and play Robe Of Lightness for cycling traits.

Rod Of Winds
    (P)
    If there's one thing people tend to shy away from it's uncertainty. Whirlwinds are definitely random, it even says so in the card text. While I can't tell you where everything will land, I can tell you that it will be a pain in the butt for your opponent. Camping out on a victory square? Whirlwind. Finally got within striking distance of your wizard? Whirlwind. Got blocks waiting for a juicy target? I hope Whirlwind is good enough for you. Being able to inconvenience the entire opposing side is incredibly powerful. Rod of Winds is the single best item let alone arcane item to get Whirlwind Enemies from as there isn't anything else that gives more than one copy.

Slippery Shield
    (V)
    Movement isn't very glamorous next to flashy attacks but it is every bit as important and often even more so. However, you can't go replacing key cards in your deck with movement or you'll risk being able to get anywhere you want with nothing to do. That is where hybrid cards like Hard To Pin Down come in. Flexibility does have a cost and with Slippery Shield it costs a major token. The legendary Hawlic's Surging Shield is generally preferable with its move on blocking Surging Shield Blocks although there are some fringe benefits in having a more reliable block and moving an extra square instead.

(B)est of the Best

(N)iche

(P)layable

(U)nique

(V)alue

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
    Han Lee likes this.
  9. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Illusion
    Illusory Barrier is obviously best against wizards but if you combine it with enough copies of Telekinesis you can keep melee characters at bay too. Cards like Gusts Of War do not work as well as you can only slide enemy characters back on top of your walls instead of teleporting them back behind them, requiring 2 movements instead of 1 to claw their way back. While Illusion is a very powerful item, it is also high risk. Control wizards usually don't have damaging attacks on their arcane items. By playing Illusion, your wizard cuts back on 5 additional attacks in favor of speed bumps. Should the rest of your team die, you are basically limited to victory point wins, which can be very difficult depending on the map. Illusion is definitely an item that you need to build around and it is not for everyone. If you like running up and smacking people Illusion is not for you. If you like trapping your opponents and laughing maniacally while they squirm around like rats in a maze you might want to spend some more time with your therapist. Also, you'll want to pick Illusion up.

Control strategies can be crucial for ensuring victories in quests where you are massively handicapped but it blows for regular play. If your goal is farming items your best bet is to dish out as much damage as you can. Illusory Barrier can help your characters live longer but that shouldn't be your primary goal. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    None
    The Daily Deal

Did Peon Buy It?
    Yes, but not today. I've got a pair and that is more than enough Illusory Barrier for even the toughest wizard cleanup.

Epics
    Aegis Of The Defender
    The best major token shield and quite possibly the best shield altogether.

Silver Fir Staff
    Staff Of Chask is a better anti-melee staff and there are plenty of better ways to get your Linear spark fix.

St. Bethan's Charm
    Not sure who this St. Bethan's is but he/she is no Bleneth.

Notable Rares
    None

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
    Melancthon likes this.
  10. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Peon's 400th Review Razzmatazz
    Absolem's Leather Shoes
    Advanced Crushing
    Amulet of Blades
    Aork's Vial of Memories
    Apprentice Stoutness
    Aranak's Chain Web
    Atomic Drop Console
    Avakiria's Cup
    Axander's Robes
    Axe of the Titans
    Azan's Icy Bulwark
    Azgul's Orb
    Barnum's Burning Bauble
    Barnum's Staff
    Beater
    Bendolth's Pauldrons
    Berian's Locket
    Bewlin's Baffling Bauble
    Bleneth's Frenzy Charm
    Bleneth's Frenzy Medallion
    Bleneth's Skull
    Bloodchopper
    Bloody Stoutness
    Bloome's Barging Boots
    Blox's Unyielding Bulwark
    Blue Destruction
    Bohemian Ear Spoon
    Bolg's Club of Evasion
    Boxton's Red Pendant
    Brightblood Glaive
    Brin's Spiked Rod
    Brin's Storm Locket
    Brutal Agility
    Bynser's Weighted Club
    Cadefel's Savage Maul
    Captain Cedric's Helm
    Chalchu's Hammer
    Chartwell's Amulet
    Chartwell's Ring
    Clovidian's Mail
    Clowen's Boots
    Crazy Sal's Halberd
    Cudgel of Wrath
    Czint's Buckler
    Darkblood Glaive
    Darune's Dagger
    Demigod's Hammer
    Dianon's Staff
    Eeygonnic's Shield
    Ekkerg's Amulet
    Elemer's Diadem
    Elemer's Pine Staff
    Evasion
    Eye of Wicna
    Fabrian's Shield
    Ferocity
    Focused Thinker
    Forrtescue's Feathered Cap
    Forval's Chain
    Garalem's Boots
    Gauixl's Sacred Maul
    General Gideon's Helm
    Glasod's Dark Eye
    Glasod's Dark Thighbone
    Glasod's Dark Skull
    Gloomthirst
    God's Rage
    Golden Wings
    Gzellin's Boots
    Hand-Held Ram
    Hand of Melvelous
    Hand of Wicna
    Hawkwind's Moccasins
    Hawlic's Glowing Shirt
    Hawlic's Handy Axe
    Hawlic's Robes
    Hawlic's Surging Shield
    Highbolt Jerkin
    Holy Hellyn's Breastplate
    Huetotl's Firebrand
    Igneous Scorchstaff
    Illusion
    Inara's Boots
    Jaguar Spirit Staff
    Jannivol's Shield
    Jornin's Figurine
    Juniper's Boots
    Juniper's Jumper
    Kazmir's Staff
    Kelharin's Clogs
    Kelvim's Buckler
    Kelvin's Chunk of Ice
    Kreevian Radcannon
    Kristoph's Skull
    Knife of St. Blenko
    Korenchkin's Tactical Tunic

trrst, Jarmo and Pawndawan like this.
  11. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Larkin's Orb
    Lenora's Prayer Beads
    Lewin's Boots
    Lt. Buckwell's Boots
    Luke's Iron Hand
    Mail of St. Oxivia
    Mandaeus's Aegis
    Massive Harm
    Mathilda's Locket
    Mazzaram's Mighty Mattock
    Meztis Wyrmhide Robes
    Miligar's Dragon Tongue
    Mindshrinker
    Mokad's Reeking Skull
    Mokad's Unholy Tome
    Mordecai's Staff of Magma
    Mullik's Blisterstaff
    Nuncible's Boots
    Og's Boots of Peril
    Oquith's Choking Incense
    Oquith's Foul Incense
    Oskar's Pine Shield
    Overheated Staff
    Ozerian's Boots
    Ozone Plates
    Perfect Footwork
    Perfect Stoutness
    Pergop's Slippers
    Perrio's Kinetic Robes
    Phantom Pain
    Porior's Nimble Mace
    Prillith's Robes of Pain
    Pwindle's Boots
    Quellic's Boots
    Quick Jon's Axe
    Quornic's Battleaxe
    Raging Battler
    Red Flame
    Relic of St. Darqar
    Richie's Frigid Laser
    Ring of Bifurcated Healing
    Ring of Majestic Healing
    Ripple's Reality Robes
    Robes of Avak Seth
    Robes of Foz
    Robes of White Wylla
    Rolf's Reliable Platemail
    Sabo's Flamespit Staff
    Sahagun's Sword
    Sander's Force Mirror
    Sanger's Space Cap
    Saramin's Shield
    Searing Pain
    Shield of Ultimate Dodging
    Shieldripper
    Skull of Savage Iljin
    Smoag's Bucket of Pitch
    Snitrick's Shield
    Spear of the Cozqui
    Spear of St. Qaith
    Spector's Raygun
    St. Alipp's Hammer
    St. Gwendolyn's Armor
    St. Hongjin's Soulstone
    St. Malaj's Cuirass
    St. Nyssa's Hammer
    St. Osrim's Corona
    St. Pascal's Torch
    St. Portia's Mail
    St. Portia's Maul
    St. Qaith's Armor
    St. Sebanna's Armor
    St. Tesrim's Corona
    St. Xarol's Mace
    St. Yatzie's Genetic Console
    St. Zaadia's Spacesuit
    Staff of a Million Embers
    Staff of Embers
    Staff of the Misanthrope
    Sundersong
    Superb Flexibility
    Superb Toughness
    Suvv's Boots of Escape
    Swiz's Circlet of Elements
    Tasty, Tasty Staff
    Taltec's Staff
    The Hackmaster
    The Irradiator
    The Lunginator
    The Strongarm
    Tlaloc's Stormplate
    Trained Tactics
    Troll's Ire
    Twizel's Water Talisman
    Ulrin's Scuttling Socks
    Unholy Nimbus
    Uula's Whirling Robes
    Vibrant Pain
    Vinorkin's Cuirass
    Vira's Shimmering Robes
    Wenham's Leather Cap
    White Flame
    Wild Trickery
    Wym's Fiery Bangle
    Wym's Lavastaff
    Xemu's Crown
    Xemu's Staff
    Yount's Chain
    Yvette's Buckler
    Zeeplon's Jumping Boots

206/306 Legendary items reviewed

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  12. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

The Peonys

Best New Addition to the Game: SP Edition
    Caverns of Chaos
    Improved loot grinding? Check. Getting to play as all those legendary characters you've been stealing borrowing items from? Check. Breaking up the monotony that is singleplayer? Big checkeroo. Caverns of Chaos is far from perfect but it is a big step in the right direction of what many of us hope singleplayer will become. One big random adventure, preferably in the nude.

Best New Addition to the Game: MP Edition
    Aloyzo's Arsenal Community Choice
    Getting player created items to show off and experiment with was great. Not getting to pick said items was not. It may have taken a minor rules kerfuffle, but the community was rewarded with the opportunity to pick 2 new additions to the game. Sure, it's not going to happen every Aloyzo's Arsenal but hopefully it will happen again. And if it doesn't? I'll be sharpening my pitchfork just in case.

Now I Know My ABCs
    Zeeplon's Jumping Boots
    Finally have a "Z" item, the last missing letter, to fill out the list. That bother anyone else? No? Just me? Well anyways, you're a lifesaver Zeeplon.

Skullduggery
    Glasod's Dark Skull
    Ok, ok. So this one was kind of a cop out being the last legendary skull and all but it perpetrates one of the most egregious of offenses. It appears to be a great purchase when it's not. For a minor token, you get one measly point of vamp stab damage over Hand Of Melvelous and that is a token stab vamps often can't afford. Always consult the wiki (or your friendly neighborhood peon) to look at all your options and make a plan for your optimal build. This is something that I myself have struggled with in the past and I've got a Glasod's Dark Skull to prove it.

Staff Recommendations
    Tasty, Tasty Staff
    Holy moly did we hit pay dirt in the past hundred days. Searing Pain and Wym's Lavastaff, the best staves for multiplayer and singleplayer respectively, both made a glorious appearance. Despite how powerful they are, I'm kind of getting tired of using the same stuff all the time. I know I told you all not to buy Tasty, Tasty Staff but that was purely from a "play to win" perspective. Games aren't all about winning, they're about having fun. If you're idea of fun is to play win or lose in the most unique and stylish manner possible, look no further than Tasty, Tasty Staff.

That's What I'm Talking A-Boot
    Pergop's Slippers
    I might not use them much due to major token budgeting issues but these are by far my favorite major token boots. Violent Spin is just such a versatile card. It's a control card when you need it, it's a respectable move 3 when you don't, it lets you steal victory squares, and it even moonlights as a Team Walk every so often. If you haven't tried using Violent Spin you are missing out.

Peon's Desert Island Item 4
    Cadefel's Savage Maul
    There are plenty of items that have won me more games. In fact, I think this round of reviews had more top tier items than any of the previous ones. However, I am fondest of Cadefel's Savage Maul. It's an item I got fairly early on, definitely way before I ever so much as even glimpsed the admittedly more powerful Darkblood Glaive. When I first got enough Volcano items for a decent Volcano wizard, Cadefel's Savage Maul was there to save the day. It's not something I'd recommend buying but it sure has a lot of sentimental value.

As always, I'm open to any suggestions for improving the reviews. Also, I know not everything I say is generally accepted. If you disagree with anything please feel free to voice your opinion. I kinda hijacked this thread so I'm in no position to stop anyone else from doing the same. Or maybe even start your own review if you're also addicted to "likes" the helpful type. ;)

trrst, Obernoob, timeracers and 9 others like this.
  13. Lucky Dice

Lucky Dice Thaumaturge

Thanks for all the hard work so far Peon. It's always a pleasure to sit down, sip some cappuccino and read the Daily Deal review. It's amazing how many of these you've done.
    Speaking of reviews... I'm feeling like procrastinating today. I also decided to add an optional tune to listen to while reading all that. Today's sick tune is from Mark Morrison!

Tlaloc's Stormplate

Here's Peon's point of view on that item:
    Still, gotta include my own PoV on that.

Multiplayer usefulness: This is the only divine armor with Grounding Plates. It's also packed with 2 of Triple Heal, still a good card, that doubles as something that can proc Defender's Block if used on an enemy. I'd probably use it one day in a mass-healing build, because it leaves you with two healing cards and a great piece of armor. But... I wouldn't buy it. There are quite a few alternatives that are more all-purpose. Stargod's Raiments cost 1/5th of Tlaloc's price, same with Cleansing Hide Armor and Dark Chain Shirt, Ritual Straps is something you can get for 100 gold and it's arguably one of the best divine armors. You've probably noticed the pattern - there are cheaper, more versatile armors out there.

Singleplayer usefulness: Again, Grounding Plates. You know what loves electricity? Besides those lightning teleporting wisps and sprites? WYVERNS. This is the only place where I wouldn't mind having this armor. But, in all honesty, Resistant Hide is miles better. Mostly because it's on wizards, which can reliably remove armor without having to move closer. Not only that, Resistant Hide protects them from both Firestorm and Volcano they can cast. Priest has Impenetrable Nimbus, which Wyverns can't remove. So there's also that. Seriously, just go for these things for these maps.

Verdict: Take this only if you desperately want to build a healing-centered build, otherwise skip it. You seriously won't find much use in it outside of very limited variety of situations.

Epics:

Atlatl Of Zuma - Poor... no, poorman doesn't fit, it's more expensive... Uh, weirdman's Vampire's Blade? I guess. I mean, it has good things going for it, such as range 2 health-draining attacks and the fact that every single card from here procs your Talented Healer. But... ugh, 2 damage, even vampiric, is kind of... sad. If this card had just Consuming Spears, then I could recommend it as a decent replacement for Vamp blade. But in the current state, you'll be disappointed every time you draw a Sapping Spear.

Blackhammer - Yeah, decent collection of attacks! Potent Stab is cool, Sundering Strike - amazing! Enervating Touch is cool too. Wings Of Faith... uh, for some specific maps it's okay? Impetuous Heal is the one that can pretty much ruin or save your games without your influence. It just gets in your hand and you either hit the desk with your head, because you've just healed your opponent's team, or you thank RNGods because you refilled some of your heroes' HP. If you have one, try out playing a few matches with it. Should you like it the way it can be played with, go buy a second one. You probably won't waste money. Just keep in mind that this Impetuous Heal comes at a price - you need to stay next to your allies. And burst wizards are just waiting for that one...

Blazing Shortsword - Three fantastic Fiery Stabs with a cycling Combustible that doesn't matter against half of the decks you're going to face. Also, 5 times cheaper than The Strongarm. Get it if you can. This is the best Epic of all of today's epics. You won't need more than 9 of these, that's the maximum you can equip on the party you're using.

Notable rares:

Acrobat's Aegis - Disorienting Block is great block that allows you to hit somebody without triggering their block, disengage or just move their pesky wizard to a less comfortable spot. Absorbing Block is also an anti-wizard thing. You get the theme? This is THE anti-wizard shield. It even has Travelling Curse so that they hit themselves after some time. On top of that, it's not completely useless against warriors.

Rod Of Falling Cinders - In SP, you can't go wrong with Firestorm. If you're looking for more control on your SP farming Wizards, this is a legit cheap option.

Sky Traveler's Boots - These boots are one of the most fun boots to use. And they're pretty good too! In fact, these are the cheapest and most versatile boots with Rocket Charge. Let's stop for a second and talk about that card. Rocket Charge can deal up to 15 UNBLOCKABLE damage. Keep that in mind. You can fly over watery tiles, difficult terrain, pretty much anything but walls, to hit your enemy from out of nowhere. This is, in case you can't tell, a potentially game-changing card. Then there's Telepod Jaunt which can help you set yourself close to VP or just skip difficult terrain with relatively low cost of moving on a random tile next to the one you picked. If you pick your tiles right, it's almost like "Move 6. Fly." And Cloth Armor... eh, a material to throw out with Savage Curse? Hey, it's a use, all right.

peonprop, Sir Veza and Pawndawan like this.
  14. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

15. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Yancley's Boots
    Both Reliable Mail and Energizing Move have their uses but you can either one on more focused minor token boots. It isn't likely that you'll want one of each over two or more copies of one or the other. As for Leap, you really don't need Fly aside from a couple of leagues so most of the time you're getting a glorified Walk. The biggest upside is being able to escape situations where you're pinned down by opposing characters and/or blocking terrain but only moving 2 squares lands you fairly close if not next to the enemy. Would not purchase.

When you spend tokens on boots, you're either looking to boost your mobility or defense. Reliable Mail and Energizing Move pull Yancley's Boots in opposite directions. I would again seek out more focused boots more suitable for the job you want. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    Kerrick's Steel Boots (E) (minortoken): Reliable Mail
    Japper's Energy Boots (E) (minortoken): Energizing Move
    Lizard Hide Boots (E) (minortoken): Leap

Did Peon Buy It?
    Nope. In fact, I rarely use boots with any of those cards aside from the occasional Reliable Mail for farming purposes.

Epics
    Apprentice Command
    Subtle Parry is one of those cards that is borderline playable if paired with great cards. A single Run, Team! doesn't cut it, especially when there are plenty of better command skills.

Mercury Stone
    Wizards that want Hypnotic Beacon generally don't want Firestorm and vice versa.

Staff Of Burning Ice
    Great cards but another item that pulls in opposite directions. Cold spells tend to belong on more controlling wizards and burning spells are best when used exclusively to maximize Firestarter.

Notable Rares
    Blackeye Hammer (V)
    Blackeye Hammer is a cheaper less mobile version of Atchocl's Spear. While it isn't particularly powerful, Blackeye Hammer does decent damage for only costing a minor token. If you're willing to shell out a bit more gold you can get Maquah Of Ancient Blood, which is slightly more painful but more useful with its Unnerving Strikes.

Sacrificial Axe (N)
    There is a relatively small pool of divine weapons with good spells so sometimes it's correct to skip them altogether and use the tokenless Sacrificial Axe for trait cycling. This is especially true if the spells you want are only available on divine items. Pressing Bashes give you late game options for capturing victory squares as well as keep opposing characters off your back. Combine them with careful positioning and the Vulnerables aren't too big of an issue against melee. They do make you weaker to ranged characters so if you are expecting to face them, you may want to opt for Vampire's Blade for less risky trait cycling instead.

Shuddering Relic (BV)
    Shuddering Relic gives you the highly sought after Mass Frenzy while remaining tokenless. While you can get the same deal from the less risky legendary Bleneth's Frenzy Charm, being Vulnerable can draw you to the better cards in your deck. Shuddering Relic even makes for a fine filler item on a vamp, though I wouldn't go overboard since running out of gas is a big concern.

(B)est of the Best

(N)iche

(P)layable

(U)nique

(V)alue

Lucky Dice and Sir Veza like this.
  16. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Bern's Untouchable Mail
    Arrogant Armor is one of those cards that comes at a steep cost so you really need a good reason to play. Not being able to buff up your warrior or rely on racial skills can put you on the back foot against more humble enemy characters. You might get hit with a Radiation Bomb here or a Cone Of Cold there but in general, you aren't going to face too many attachments. To make Arrogant Armor worthwhile you will need to bring your own with Enormous Mattock being the poster child of handicap items. You get to shrug off those handicaps and the attacks are beefy enough to overcome not being buffed. Alternatively, you can utilizes teammates that regularly dish out attachments indiscriminately like a Radioactive Spray priest or a trigger happy Cone Of Cold wizard. Long story short, Bern's Untouchable Mail is absolutely great at what it does but most people don't need it. Only purchase if you plan on building around harmful attachments.

There are only a few modules with truly devastating attachments and they happen to be high level so the major token cost isn't a big issue. However, there are two strikes against Bern's Untouchable Mail when it comes to farming. First of all, you obviously need to use a warrior. Warriors make for great beatsticks in modules where you're up against fewer mobs but the attachment heavy modules tend not to fit that description. In addition, not being able to use beneficial attachments bars you from employing the ultimate easy mode strategy of loading up on Impenetrable Nimbuses. I'm sure there are farming builds that make good use of Bern's Untouchable Mail but I'm willing to bet that they are only used for one or two modules and aren't that much more effective compared to more traditional builds. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    Impervious Panoply (E) (minortoken), Emperor's Plate (E) (majortoken)

Did Peon Buy It?
    Yes, but not today. Already have the full set. I originally bought it to combat %&*#$ Cold wizards, but that was back when Encumber was fully stackable and had the ability to Halt. Now Bern's Untouchable Mail is on full time gimmick build duty.

Epics
    Staff Of Immolation
    Ember Bursts do not make up for the trio of bad short range low damage spells.

Untrained Tactics
    An item that doesn't even have good cards to tempt you into playing the bad ones.

Vira's Shoes
    Bertha's Big Clogs are better.

Notable Rares
    Blood Locket (V)
    When you run Path Of Knives, you obviously want ways to force afflicted characters to move. This is most often and most easily accomplished with control spells. Blood Locket just so happens to give you both on the same item. The epic Sarigo's Rod is better if you want an additional copy of Path of Knives but that isn't always the case. You may very well want a cycling trait instead and Squeamish is one of the easiest handicaps to play around.

Ebony Prayer Beads (V)
    While a little slow and vulnerable as attachments, the card draw that Ebony Prayer Beads offers is almost unparalleled for a minor token divine item. Though a bit painful, you can get similar card advantage from Incense Of The Caged Demon which benefits from a cycling trait. If you have a major token available the obvious upgrade would be Mokad's Reeking Skull.

Frosty Staff (N)
    The large variety of Cold spells on Frosty Staff allows you to stack Encumber better than any other staff. This is great if you just want a couple Cold spells on a control wizard but it only applies to targets which move 4 or greater. Also, if you're running a more dedicated Cold wizard, you'll already be packing Cone Of Colds from arcane items in which case you'd be better off with the more straightforward Staff Of Winter. Alternatively, you can opt for the legendary Staff Of The Arctic if you just want to Encumber everything in sight.

(B)est of the Best

(N)iche

(P)layable

(U)nique

(V)alue

17. snickersimba

snickersimba Goblin Champion

Er, I spent the day in a mad dash for two hundred gold for staff of blazes and ebony prayer beads, please tell me that wasn't a HUGE error, because I have no fire staves aside from hotglass and immolation

18. Sorry to break it to you, but Staff Of Blazes is pretty awful. Not a fan of Ebony Prayer Beads due to the dead card, but it isn't as bad as the staff.

19. snickersimba

snickersimba Goblin Champion

I wish everything was a bit cheaper, the legendaries should be five hundred, the epics a hundred and the rares fifty gold. SOMETHING like that, not EXACTLY but a bit cheaper. Especially since legendaries aren't garenteed to be amazing. Oh, I forgot that I got the tome of pain and lt.buckwells boots for free, are they good?

20. Staves are notorious for having pretty much all of the strong ones being legendary, so you can't skimp on money when buying those. Keep in mind that each legendary treasure can be sold for 1k each, and you can get a lot of rare+ from cooping loot fairy, so money shouldn't be too big of a barrier.

Lt. Buckwell's Boots is quite good for a tokenless boots, but be on the look out for Mouse Boots, which is generally more preferred. Tome Of Pain is plain bad.