The Daily Deal

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Fry_The_Guy, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Ector

Ector Hydra

This is completely biased review, folks. The warriors aren't all about reaching the enemy and killing him before he kills you, though that's their primary task for sure. In many situations, if you can just stay at the victory area and bash the enemies away, you're going to win. This may fail versus stabbers, but all range 1 warriors will have to move back to hit you. If they lack the step attacks, then they come to you, you bash them back, they have to come again :) Also, there are situations where the enemy is staying near the wall and aren't going to be pushed by Lunging Bash. You have the control whether to bash or not to bash, and where to bash, so the disadvantage of bashing isn't that great, and sometimes can be turned to the advantage. Just pushing the enemy out from the victory area may save you the game, and sometimes you can even push YOUR character to the victory area.

This is even more ridiculous. You can use Lunging Bash just for movement and bashing the enemies away, and The Lunginator will still be a nice weapon. Actually, if you have one Lunging Bash and several range 1 attacks, and the enemy is near, you can play your Unnerving Strike first (it's likely to discard the enemy block, so you don't have to start with low-damage attacks), and play the Bash as your last attack. If you have 2+ Lunging Bashes, then you're probably not ready for the alpha strike (as you lack the high-damage attacks), so you can try to bash the enemy away or run away yourself. See now? You have an answer to almost ANY situation with The Lunginators.
    Zoltan's Laser Scourge is a crap right because you have attacks that depend on the other attacks. Any warrior with Sparkling Cloth Armor will be your nemesis. You bash him away, he returns back, and your Laser Whips are useless. It also costs (majortoken)(majortoken) and has only two Whips, which deals insufficient damage for that price.

2. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Time for this dance again? :rolleyes:

3. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

CT5, Sir Veza and Flaxative like this.
  4. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Hand-Held Ram
    Peon's Prescription for Prodigious Multiplayers
    Barge warriors are Bash warriors with less copies of their signature card and more control over enemy character placement. Neither one is particularly popular but if you've got Barge fever, you'll need a special weapon to fill the void. Hand-Held Ram is not that weapon. For the low low price of two damage, Enormous Tree Branchtrades in a weak Flimsy Block for a Blind Rage. You could also splurge for The Pulper but I'd rather have the cycling trait to get to your Barges quicker. Whichever one you pick to pair with Barreling Club, just make sure it isn't Hand-Held Ram. Would not purchase.

Peon's Perspective for Penny-Pinching Singleplayers
    Barge loses a lot of utility when there aren't victory squares, when the mobs are packing melee blocks, or simply when there are more mobs than you have Barges. Control cards are generally going to be worse than purely offensive attacks and Barge is no exception. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    Enormous Tree Branch (E) (minortoken)(minortoken)
    The Daily Deal

Did Peon Buy It?
    Nope. I use Enormous Tree Branch for all my Barge needs.

Epics
    Hydrogen Staff- Acid Blast is too weak for a double major token staff.
    Jackrabbit Shield- Dodge isn't good enough to willingly Halt yourself for.
    Savage Plates- The best attack buffing divine armor.

Notable Rares
    Focused Bruising- Anything that buffs your attacks by 2 is worth a gander. Now you just need to figure out what to do with all those Bashes.
    Slippery Shield- Expensive token cost but a good way to increase mobility without adding pure movement

5. Ector

Ector Hydra

6. BlackVoidDeath

BlackVoidDeath Guild Leader

If you think Bloody Stoutness is good then I will use it in my next deck - have two of that item, will use both.

7. Ector

Ector Hydra

I don't consider it very good, but it's nice if you really know what are you doing. I mean, if you really need Blind Rage and some extra blocks for some reason.
    There are better ways for spending a token, I guess: Ferocity will give you much better tech most of the time, for instance. But if you really want to block the opponent's weak attack and then steal his major attack with Duck, Bloody Stoutness will be your choice. Unfortunately, after the change of Pulverizing Bludgeon and Pulverizing Hack this tactics became much less attractive. So I don't recommend buying the Bloody Stoutness now.

8. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Inara's Boots
    Escaping Run is useful as a move that occasionally cycles when you're next to an enemy. I don't like it for support characters or wizards. You don't usually send them near the other team so Escaping Runs end up beingRuns or getting discarded. Melee characters that have an incentive to get next to enemies get the most use out of them. That being said, Inara's Boots are near the bottom of the double Escaping Run boot hierarchy. Chain Harness is such a small upgrade from Weakened Armor that I would easily get Lum's Moccasins instead. Would not purchase.

It's a lot easier to draw cards with Escaping Run in singleplayer but it's also a waste of time. I would much rather just use Sticky Slippers. You only need Escaping Runs as movement against ranged characters in which case you'll want better move cards. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    Lum's Moccasins (E) (minortoken)
    The Daily Deal

Did Peon Buy It?
    Nope. Escaping Run is a fine card but not something I like enough to actively seek out.

Epics
    Axamander's Ringmail- Untouchable Plate is better.
    Bahoxl's Maul- Cleansing Ray is dead too often to see general play so Bahoxl's Maul is limited to builds with terrain attachments. On the bright side, priests can supply their own terrain attachments now.
    Petochl's Sword- Double major token is pretty steep when you're basically only getting Sundering Strikes out of the deal. I would get White Katana or Troll's Ire instead.

Notable Rares
    None

9. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

If this is your only reason for dismissing Bloody Stoutness then good news everyone. Pulverizing Bludgeon/Pulverizing Hack is not used as a block baiter. In order for using either Pulverizing attack first to be profitable, your second attack would need to do more than 8 damage. It's pretty rare that you won't have a sub 8 attack when the most popular source of Pulverizing Bludgeon is Infused Greatclub. And the good news fairy strikes yet again! Pulverizing attacks see incredibly low play compared to pre nerf Obliterating Bludgeon numbers. Why saddle yourself with crappy attacks to do a measly 14 damage when you could do 11 with a side order of Vicious Thrust? If you're going to not play Bloody Stoutness, do it because it doesn't have Toughness and/or Bloodied Block is garbage, not because of the Pulverizing boogeyman.

10. Ector

Ector Hydra

I've just tried to say that the Duck's effectiveness was lowered due to change of Pulverizing Bludgeon/Pulverizing Hack. These cards deal less damage now AND they will still damage my warrior even after Duck triggers. Plus, the metagame changed several times, and Mass Frenzy warriors don't dominate the world anymore (though they still present, of course). This also makes Duck less effective than it was before.

Bloodied Block isn't garbage, and Toughness isn't a must have card. But Duck isn't as good as it was before, so the other dwarven skills seem to be better.

Arrombador and karadoc like this.
  11. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

I completely misunderstood your point so I apologize. You are much less likely to Duck a Pulverizing attack now due to lack of play. I think there are some flaws in your logic but I won't bring them up.

12. NIMABI

NIMABI War Monkey

Darkblood Glaive... already got one. Still, instabuy period.

Ector likes this.
  13. Arrombador

Arrombador Kobold

Bloody stoutness would be fairly nice if duck weren't so unreliable. You can duck a weak attack with your 50% chance of sucess, or even miss and stay with the revealed card in your hand, just waiting to be exchanged by the weakest opponent's attack. Duck should have a better chance of triggering to be effective like a gold rare is expected to be.

14. BlackVoidDeath

BlackVoidDeath Guild Leader

Duck is a good card because your opponent usually uses their weak attacks first, and because its a 50/50 you might fail the roll on it and then if they have a Mighty Bludgeon or something similar in their hand that they were going to use next, they would probably not use it since they cant risk you taking such a powerful card.

15. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Yes, Duck is 50% weak attack, 50% only get attacked with weak attacks until it's removed, and once in a blue moon something incredible. It's actually pretty good against decks that have a flat but high damage distribution like Cult of the Bejeweled. However, it is no Toughness. You consistently get a random card from your deck which will hopefully be greater than 50% good card if you built your deck correctly.

16. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Darkblood Glaive
    Darkblood Glaive is the premier buffing staff for wizard based parties. Melee characters often pack too many blocks and armors that they'd rather not discard to Savage Curse. Non-burning wizards on the other hand are packed to the gills with low or no damage spells. Being ranged also allows them to treat movement cards as discard fodder. You can even play around the drawback by running Inspirations. If you empty your hand and draw cards one at a time, each attack you draw this way ignores the discard clause. Highly recommend purchasing.

Savage Curse effectively turns useless cards on your wizards into more Firestorms. Who can say no to more Firestorms? Since Firestorm (and Flash Of Agony) always damages your opponents first, adding 4 damage also makes it much easier to fire off the lethal blow without regard for your own life totals. I especially like usingDarkblood Glaive for my farming parties because putting the Savage Curses on the divine weapon frees up divine item slots for Impenetrable Nimbus. Highly recommend purchasing.

Substitutes
    Axe Of The Dark Soul (U) (majortoken)(minortoken)
    The Daily Deal

Did Peon Buy It?
    Yes, but not today. Between Savage Curse's savage 3 turn duration and the powerhouse Skull Of Savage Iljin you can easily end up being too savage. I already have 2 copies and can't imagine needing a third.

Epics
    Godtouched Spear- Healing Hand Mace is a little worse on the spell front but has way better attacks making it the clear pick most of the time. If you are a fan of Inspiring Presence I would try to pick up Knife Of St. Blenko.
    Spacedragon Warpcloak- Such a disappointing item for having such a cool name. Neither Warp Run nor Mystical Wyrmhide are good enough to carry bad filler cards like Short Spark.
    Untrained Thinking- Too "Un" to be reliable I think.

Notable Rares
    Automatic Shield- Very powerful shield for farming levels where you can regularly make use of the Keep clause.
    Corpselight Charm- For the Swiss Army Knife priest. The major token and lack of focus keep it from being a true staple but Corpselight Charm is still a strong item.
    Rod Of Winds- If you're willing to get a little random, you get multi character affecting block checking control spells in return.
    Slippery Shield- Good way to add mobility to your melee characters if you've got the spare major token.

17. Ector

Ector Hydra

I guess a second Glaive isn't needed. The attacks aren't very good, so you generally want one Glaive + 1-2 Skulls.

18. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Hand-Held Ram
    Barge warriors are Bash warriors with less copies of their signature card and more control over enemy character placement. Neither one is particularly popular but if you've got Barge fever, you'll need a special weapon to fill the void. Hand-Held Ram is not that weapon. For the low low price of two damage, Enormous Tree Branchtrades in a weak Flimsy Block for a Blind Rage. You could also splurge for The Pulper but I'd rather have the cycling trait to get to your Barges quicker. Whichever one you pick to pair with Barreling Club, just make sure it isn't Hand-Held Ram. Would not purchase.

Barge loses a lot of utility when there aren't victory squares, when the mobs are packing melee blocks, or simply when there are more mobs than you have Barges. Control cards are generally going to be worse than purely offensive attacks and Barge is no exception. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    Enormous Tree Branch (E) (minortoken)(minortoken)
    The Daily Deal

Did Peon Buy It?
    Nope. Enormous Tree Branch is cheaper and better.

Epics
    Command Stone- As the only Hypnotic Beacon arcane item with a Slide spell, Command Stone is also the most synergistic. I'm not 100% convinced Hypnotic Beacon is worth playing but it's always a good sign when you never want to see it from your opponent.
    Crimson Morningstar- Eixocl's Hammer is better.
    Gaudekki's Orb- Not blinged out enough for a respectable burning wizard and not much better than cheaper options for Firestorm farming.

Notable Rares
    Overheated Force Suit- Great card, easy to handle handicap, blah blah blah. What I've never mentioned before was how good Overheated Force Suit is when you're relying on Savage Curse. Traditionally you'd use something armor light like Robe Of Lightness when you're expecting to empty your hand regularly but now you have an option that can pack a punch and provide some defense too.
    Rod Of Winds- A lot of people shy away from cards with a high randomness factor but it often doesn't matter where your opponent's characters land as long as it isn't next to your wizard.
    Smoking Pistol- Volcano. Enough said.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  19. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Zeeplon's Jumping Boots
    Major token items are held to an incredibly high standard. Since most major tokens go towards weapons, there needs to be a major incentive to take a hit in the attack department. Energizing Move and Lunging Bash can both be found on minor token boots so Warp Run is the card that makes or breaks it. Randomly being able to "Purging Presence" can be useful but you can only ever have 1 copy of Warp Run so it can't be built around like Arrogant Armor. It is also not very expensive to get your Purges from priests. Lastly, there is a good minor token Warp Run option in Shielding Warp Boots. Put everything together and there isn't much reason to get Zeeplon's Jumping Boots. Would not purchase.

Boots have 1 job in singleplayer. Get you close to those #%&@^* ranged mobs. Energizing Move fits the bill perfectly but again, those can be found on minor token boots. Attachments aren't a big enough deal in most modules to jam a solo copy of Warp Run. When they do run rampant it's better to use Arrogant Armor or a Purge priest. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    Cybernetic Boots (E) (majortoken), Reckless Warp Boots (E) (majortoken), Shielding Warp Boots (R) (minortoken)

Did Peon Buy It?
    Nope. Sliding Boots are still my go to boots when I have a spare major token. Pergop's Slippers comes in when I'm using a particularly controlly build and sometimes Suvv's Boots Of Escape if I really want the card cycling.

Epics
    Dark Chain Shirt- Best tokenless divine armor for armor.
    Quick Buckler- Wedge Shield is better.
    Vira's Shoes- Why would you want Shimmering Aura when you could have Bertha's Big Clogs instead?

Notable Rares
    None

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
    Sir Veza, Mr. Magnifico and Pawndawan like this.
  20. j3st3ri

j3st3ri Thaumaturge

peonprop likes this.