The Daily Deal

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Fry_The_Guy, Aug 21, 2014.

1. karadoc

karadoc Hydra

Have I misunderstood something? Healing Blessing heals 3 points each turn for 3 turns. That a total of 9 point. Heal heals for 5. So the difference is 4 points, not 1 point.

peonprop likes this.
  2. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Oops, guess they buffed it while I wasn't looking.

Robauke and karadoc like this.
  3. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

The Bludgeonator
    Peon's Prescription for Prodigious Multiplayers
    The Bludgeonator is an Infused Greatclub that charges you a major token for 5 extra damage. Not only has Infused Greatclub fallen out of favor but warriors are the most difficult class to budget major tokens with. Wizards and priests have amazing weapons and items that cost little or no major tokens. Warriors on the other hand have a relatively small pool of playable weapons that don't require major tokens. That major token could be the difference between an amazing Bejeweled Shortsword and a much less shiny The Lunginator. #Bejeweledruleslunginatordrools Would not purchase.

Peon's Perspective for Penny-Pinching Singleplayers
    Would I use The Bludgeonator if I had one? Of course, I use Infused Greatclub all the time, even in higher level modules. Would I pay for one? Sure, just as soon as I finish going in against this Sicilian. Death is on the line. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    Infused Greatclub (R) (minortoken)(minortoken)
    The Daily Deal

Nanahut's Morningstar- Cleansing Ray can be great when you have targets and a Minor Heal that can't draw out blocks when you don't. You can't rely on your opponents for terrain attachments so you'll need to bring your own. Bahoxl's Maul is also a consideration if you want Cleansing Rays.
    Rhood's Boots- Pick up if you don't have any Team Walk boots yet.
    Scintillating Robes- One Shimmering Aura too many.

Notable Rares
    Ebony Prayer Beads- Crazy amount of card draw for a rare item.
    Enormous Mattock- Strap on some Arrogant Armors and put on your Lateral Thinking caps.
    Goat Boots- Great for pairing with Elven Maneuvers or just as a tokenless pair of boots that trait cycles.
    Hexagon Shield- One of the best tokenless shields.
    Spear Of Dancing- Great for a tanking warrior but you won't be slaying too many things even with killer dance moves.

4. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Quornic's Battleaxe
    The list of playable double minor token weapons is ridiculously tiny with Infused Greatclub being the gold standard. Quornic's Battleaxe trades 11 points of damage for chops and low damage penetrating attacks, neither of which are particularly desirable in multiplayer. Would not purchase.

I'll be perfectly honest. Whenever I use warriors in singleplayer the only thing I do is check how many Infused Greatclubs I can equip and fill in the rest with tokenless gear. To be fair, chops and penetrating attacks do have value in the lower levels to quickly deal with multiple mobs and armor respectively. However, I would still pass on Quornic's Battleaxe. There are way cheaper and more consistent alternatives to both. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    Hefty Chopper (C) (minortoken)(minortoken), Reliable Axe (R) (minortoken)(minortoken), Thornhill Sword (R) (minortoken)(minortoken): chops
    Piercing Pick (R) (minortoken), Trogsbane (E) (minortoken): penetrating
    The Daily Deal
    Having not seen Infused Greatclub in quite some time I wouldn't call it the gold standard anymore but I'd take it over Quornic's Battleaxe any day.

Charring Staff- This staff is 2 burn spells away from being great. Still pretty good but nowhere near the best burning staff.
    Pirate's Rapier- Do you know why there's no pirate class in Card Hunter? Because they were all wiped out holding crappy weapons.
    Robes Of The Crab- Wingtip Robes is cheaper and better.

Notable Rares
    Focused Healer- A must have for any self respecting vamp.
    Ironcurse Robes- Reliable Mail is that good and Traveling Curse isn't that bad.
    Shuddering Relic- Great Mass Frenzy item and one of the few that are tokenless.

wavy, Robauke and Sir Veza like this.
  5. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

No word on the tokenless Ritual Straps? Given the relevance of purging burst and the solid package presented here, i think its definitely worth promoting.

peonprop, Sir Veza and Melancthon like this.
  6. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

It's definitely one of the best tokenless divine armors.

Vakaz likes this.
  7. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Learn something new every day. Will give it a shout out next time it pops up.

8. Ector

Ector Hydra

Today is The Day of Cowardly Boots!

Inara's Boots 4?/3. To get full advantage of these boots, you have to wear an armor worth pumping and have an advantage from escaping from enemies. Thus, you have to play a stabbing warrior in Yolotli Armor or something like that. I guess even these warriors would prefer some boots with mass moves :)

Eixtl's Winged Mail 4?/2. If you need to fly on some special maps, you may try this. At least it's cheaper than Golden Wings.
    Lum's Moccasins 2/2. Now, this is complete crap for a token.
    Red Jon's Boots 5?/5? If you want some good tokenless boots for a wizard, seek no more. You have two Flanking Moves and a piece of armor - not the best, but still decent. I recommend these to the controlling wizards in MP and some SP scenarios where the bots are too quick.

9. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Inara's Boots
    Escaping Run is useful as a move that occasionally cycles when you're next to an enemy. I don't like it for support characters or wizards. You don't usually send them near the other team so Escaping Runs end up being Runs or getting discarded. Melee characters that have an incentive to get next to enemies get the most use out of them. That being said, Inara's Boots are near the bottom of the double Escaping Run boot hierarchy. Chain Harness is such a small upgrade from Weakened Armor that I would easily get Lum's Moccasins instead. Would not purchase.

It's a lot easier to draw cards with Escaping Run in singleplayer but it's also a waste of time. I would much rather just use Sticky Slippers. You only need Escaping Runs as movement against ranged characters in which case you'll want better move cards. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    Lum's Moccasins (E) (minortoken)

Eixtl's Winged Mail- Fly is only necessary for a few league maps. For those, I'm a much bigger fan of packing Flight Aura on each character.
    Lum's Moccasins- These boots are fine but personally, I don't like Escaping Run enough to run them over stuff like Team Walk and Sparkling Cloth Armor.
    Red Jon's Boots- Mouse Boots are much better.

Notable Rares
    Wingtip Robes- Best way to get Fly on wizards if you don't want to use the boots slot on Winged Track Shoes.

Pawndawan likes this.
  10. Accent

Accent Hydra

Cottonwood Staff is one of the epics today.

Whenever I drop an unusual epic or legendary, I try and think of ways it could be useful -- either on a specific board, or in a narrow build. With this . . . maybe a control wiz, where if they finally get next to you, you Barge them away? But why not just use Telekinesis or Winds Of War, since those get buffed past blocks by Spark Generator?

11. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

White Flame
    Multiplayer
    Instant Burn is a weak card in a vacuum but surround it with other burning cards and you are off to the races. Fire wizards are the top choice for offensive wizards due to the availability of attacks on arcane items. If you play more than one wizard, avoid crossing the streams. Instant Burn will not trigger off another character's burning cards so it's best to avoid fire spells and attachments in general for the rest of the party. If enemy characters have burning attachments but are out of range or line of sight, you can fire an Instant Burn at your own characters to trigger them. Be sure to pack armor removal somewhere in your build. One Resistant Hide or Reliable Mail is enough to ruin your day.

Singleplayer
    Best paired with multi-target spells like Ember Burst or Firestorm when you are outnumbered. If you are using Firestorm with Instant Burn, remember that it will trigger for burning attachments on your own characters as well.

Peon's prescription for prodigious players- Would get White Flame if you enjoy burninating the countryside. Just be prepared to shell out major moolah for legendary arcane items if you want to play with it.

Substitutes
    None
    The Daily Deal

Cottonwood Staff- This is one of the best tokenless staves. Barges are awesome but they also turn on your opponents' otherwise dead melee blocks like Parry.
    Frozen Shield- Not bad but not worth the major token.
    Ripping Mace- I love running Purge effects on priests but I don't love devoting two tokens to it. I'm a bigger fan of Purging Mace. If your looking for solid attacks and utility though, you could do a lot worse.

Notable Rares
    Tough Leather Cap- Great for adding team movement and surprise All Out Attack blowouts. The blowout might not be in your favor but it will be a blowout.

12. CT5

CT5 Guild Leader

I'm a huge fan of Ripping Mace. All six cards are useful, and it comes at a nice token cost. Not a must buy, but if you have extra gold and don't have one, then I strongly recommend purchasing it.

Flaxative and j3st3ri like this.
  13. j3st3ri

j3st3ri Thaumaturge

I agree and bought my second mace. I love Sundering Strike in SP and this is the earliest (and cheapest, and best) possible way for a Priest to get them.

CT5 likes this.
  14. Ector

Ector Hydra

Wow, I've missed the Mace yesterday and now I regret about that :( I generally use the healing weapons in SP since I've got three Skull Of The Savage Iljin, but I agree that armor thrashing is very good in some scenarios.

15. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Jaguar Spirit Staff
    The most obvious thing to do when evaluating items is compare them to items you have experience with. Jaguar Spirit Staff is pretty darn close to Staff Of Chask. It's a little better against wizards (not wearing Resistant Hide of course) due to the longer range attacks and it doesn't have a handicap card to worry about. What it does worse with is the blocks themselves. Pushback Parry is way better than Subtle Parry because you know you can get a free attack in with the high percentage block safety net and randomly catching a step attack is virtual card advantage. There simply aren't that many weak melee attacks that trigger the card draw on Subtle Parry and buffs will often push the ones that do out of range. The attacks on Staff of Chask are also easier to pair with wizard traits, though that's a pretty small consideration. I think the benefits of having better blocks puts Staff of Chask on top. You're using both staves to get blocks so go with the one with better blocks. Would not purchase.

Removing attacks for blocks is a big no no. Attacks win. Blocks help you not lose. Winning is much better than not losing, just ask Charlie Sheen. Add the fact that the AI attacks into Impenetrable Nimbus and purposefully adding more blocks to a character just becomes downright silly. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    Heavy Oak Staff (R), Staff Of Chask (E) (minortoken), Oaken Staff Of The Magus (R) (minortoken)(minortoken), Voltstaff (E) (minortoken)(minortoken)

Frennik's Soulstone- Twin Heals is too weak.
    Novice Stoutness- You are a weird bird if you want Duck over Toughness.
    Robes Of The Crab- Worse than Wingtip Robes.

Notable Rares
    Focused Bruising- Most martial skills add a lackluster 1 point of additional damage. Being handicapped with Bashes give you a respectable 2 points.
    Rod Of Winds- Games are won and lost over positioning. Whirlwind Enemies tips the board state in your favor.
    Steel-Rimmed Buckler- Surging Shield Block and Parry are two of the best blocks.

Pawndawan likes this.
  16. Ector

Ector Hydra

White Flame 5?!/5?! Again. If you didn't buy it yet, do it now - Randimar is insisting on selling this to you :)
    Though it was reviewed many times, I still have to say that it's the key item for the burning wizard build, since you trigger the burning more often than once per turn and usually deal much more damage to the enemies. Moreover, it's good even in SP, since you're generally playing Firestorms there, and it's a burning spell. Note that White Flame requires only blue tokens, so you may play it even on the mid-level scenarios. Having one White Flame is highly recommended, and you generally don't need a second copy.

Bloodfoot Robes 3/3. You rarely need Path Of Knives so badly to play a robe with them and pay a token for that.
    Bniff's Boots 1/1. I really cannot imagine spending a yellow token on this.
    Morbo's Pendant 4?/4? All three cards have their uses, but the item is very unfocused. Still, it's one of the best items with Teleport Self, so if you would really need that for some special map, it would be handy.

Notable rares:
    Vampire's Blade. One of the best vampiric weapons, don't miss it.
    Shadowleaf Maquah. A very nice damage for a (minortoken)(minortoken) weapon, and even better tech. Unholy Wellspring is always welcome nowadays, as it pumps twice more than Mass Frenzy, and extra Pushback Parry is great too.

17. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

White Flame does not belong in a Firestorm deck. The power of White Flame comes from stacking various burn spells. With a Firestorm, the most you're doing is 4 damage with Instant Burn and that's if you have Firestarter on. You know what else does 4 damage to everything? More Firestorm.

18. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

White Flame
    Multiplayer
    Instant Burn is a weak card in a vacuum but surround it with other burning cards and you are off to the races. Fire wizards are the top choice for offensive wizards due to the availability of attacks on arcane items. If you play more than one wizard, avoid crossing the streams. Instant Burn will not trigger off another character's burning cards so it's best to avoid fire spells and attachments in general for the rest of the party. If enemy characters have burning attachments but are out of range or line of sight, you can fire an Instant Burn at your own characters to trigger them. Be sure to pack armor removal somewhere in your build. One Resistant Hide or Reliable Mail is enough to ruin your day.

Singleplayer
    Best paired with multi-target spells like Ember Burst or Firestorm when you are outnumbered. If you are using Firestorm with Instant Burn, remember that it will trigger for burning attachments on your own characters as well.

Peon's prescription for prodigious players- Would get White Flame if you enjoy burninating the countryside. Just be prepared to shell out major moolah for legendary arcane items if you want to play with it.

Substitutes
    None
    The Daily Deal
    My assessment of White Flame for singleplayer is a bit misleading. Yes, Instant Burn is best with Ember Burst and Firestorm for multiple enemies but it's better to just avoid Instant Burn for those situations. I would instead use White Flame in a standard burn deck to pile damage on high hp mobs.

Bloodfoot Robes- Path Of Knives is easy to get. You are better off running Cotton Wizard's Robes for Arcane Aura, the card you really want.
    Bniff's Boots- If you're paying a major token for an item there better be some spectacular cards. Leap and spectacular are not on speaking terms.
    Morbo's Pendant- Decent Firestorm item for farming. Being able to teleport to the middle of the map for one wizard to go out in a blaze of glory is nice.

Notable Rares
    Defensive Buckler- You get the best block in the game and Loner is one of the least harmful cycling traits.
    Trainee Command- One of the few playable tokenless human traits.
    Vampire's Blade- Powerful vamp attacks with the relatively harmless Loner.

19. Ector

Ector Hydra

Are you playing only Firestorms in SP? I don't. Torching Staff and Azgul's Orb/Gaudekki's Orb provide the non-Firestorm burning even at the lowest available levels, and if I have at least one token more, I always play Miligar's Dragon Tongue. "More Firestorms" is a mindless solution that can lead to a loss if the enemy has more HPs or a lot of blocks.

20. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

That's perfectly understandable, you don't run a Firestorm deck.

Sir Veza and Flaxative like this.