The Daily Deal

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Fry_The_Guy, Aug 21, 2014.

1. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

The Bludgeonator
    Peon's Prescription for Prodigious Multiplayers
    The Bludgeonator is an Infused Greatclub that charges you a major token for 5 extra damage. Not only has Infused Greatclub fallen out of favor but warriors are the most difficult class to budget major tokens with. Wizards and priests have amazing weapons and items that cost little or no major tokens. Warriors on the other hand have a relatively small pool of playable weapons that don't require major tokens. That major token could be the difference between an amazing Bejeweled Shortsword and a much less shiny The Lunginator. #Bejeweledruleslunginatordrools Would not purchase.

Peon's Perspective for Penny-Pinching Singleplayers
    Would I use The Bludgeonator if I had one? Of course, I use Infused Greatclub all the time, even in higher level modules. Would I pay for one? Sure, just as soon as I finish going in against this Sicilian. Death is on the line. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    Infused Greatclub (R) (minortoken)(minortoken)

Atchocl's Spear- Basically a glorified Blackeye Hammer. Adding penetrating and a Shuffle to low damage attacks is not enough.
    Pip's Anklet- Bimson's Water Stone, Tauri's Watery Maze, and The Soulstone are all more useful and only cost a minor token.
    Tochtli Boots- The poor man's Boots Of Etzicatl. I'm not the biggest fan of Brutal Charge so I'd rather use Diamond Moccasins.

Notable Rares
    Shielding Token- If you're looking for a cheat code for Card Hunter the developers already built it into the game. It's called Impenetrable Nimbus and Shielding Token is the best way to get it. It is a pretty controversial card for multiplayer though and much harder to play optimally against human opponents. Would 100% get as many as you can for quests alone.

Mr. Magnifico and Pawndawan like this.
  2. Ector

Ector Hydra

The Bludgeonator 3/3. A really good weapon should deal good damage and have the good tech attached to the attacks. On the high MP levels the tech is always more important than the damage. That's why The Lunginator is much more powerful than the uber-agressive but rather techless Bejeweled Shortsword, and that's why Vibrant Pain is great even dealing the laughable 24 damage total for (majortoken)(majortoken). Here we have an absolutely techless weapon that was nerfed recently, and I don't recommend to buy it, even though it combines well with Crusher. Get some weapons with the good tech instead.

Atchocl's Spear 3/3. Nice, but nothing spectacular. Strangely enough, this spear has more crushing attacks than penetrating ones... maybe it's a disguised mace? :)
    Pip's Anklet 3/3 Yes, it costs a golden token, and it's worse than most alternatives. Forget about it.
    Tochtli Boots 4/3. Get Boots Of Etzicatl instead.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  3. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Just to be clear, the major token cost of Pip's Anklet is not the primary reason I wouldn't get it. Wall Of Illusion is so terrible I would even play the admittedly awful Maze over it. I would rather have a semi-useful unrelated effect than a wall that only lasts 1 turn.

4. Ector

Ector Hydra

5. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

I find Wall Of Illusion useful in conjunction with volcano. Not as good as Bless, but not as expensive either. I definitely wouldn't recommend buying Pip's Anklet. I have 5 and never use them due to the token cost.

BlackVoidDeath likes this.
  6. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Eeygonnic's Shield
    Tokenless shields have very good melee block options in Twisting Shield and Hexagon Shield but when it comes to all purpose blocks Eeygonnic's Shield is the best of the best. Surging Shield Block does double duty in chasing down ranged characters and escaping opposing melee attackers. Wounded Block fairs poorly against Unnerving Strike but everything else is fair game. When you get attacked at a healthy life total your opponent will most likely throw a weaker block checking attack at you which is not likely going to trigger Wounded Block. You get to keep a block in hand and they are forced into the difficult position of ordering subsequent attacks. There aren't many times I choose to use a tokenless shield since Parry and Defender's Block are so bonkers but Eeygonnic's Shield is the one I always go for. Purchase if you want to increase your win percentage against wizards while using a tokenless shield.

As much as I love Eeygonnic's Shield there is no reason to play it over other tokenless shields when you know the contents of opposing decks. The never buy legendary shield rule still applies here. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    Underdog's Shield (E)

Cherry Shield- Unreliable Block makes it much less playable than other Defender's Block shields.
    Necalli Charm- Worse than pure vamp options.
    Untrained Tactics- Unreliable Block strikes again.

Notable Rares
    Cleansing Incense- You won't often want cleansing effects but this is the best rare divine item for the job.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  7. Youbo

Youbo Orc Soldier

Uh.. Cleansing Incense is 1 blue token to me, not tokenless.

peonprop likes this.
  8. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Oops, always mix it up with Ravenna's Incense.

9. Ector

Ector Hydra

It's probably the first time when peonprop recommends buying something that I wouldn't recommend :) IMHO, Wounded Block is complete crap since it's nearly useless while you are close to full health and not very reliable even after that. Anyway, the difference between this shield and the best (minortoken) shields is so huge that it nearly always justifies spending a token for me. When I have no token to spend, I prefer Hexagon Shield.
    I could probably consider buying this for SP if I wouldn't have Snitrick's Shield already. It's even better in SP, since slowing the giant monster is much more powerful there than just moving two squares.

10. Youbo

Youbo Orc Soldier

Wounded Block look decent to me. 5+ is 33%,don't sound like ''nearly useless'' to me and when your low health(AKA when you likely need a block more) it become 3+ which is 66%. That is pretty reliable. Also,you seems to believe its better in SP but like Peonprop said,you can just adjust to ranged blocks or melee blocks depending on the enemies so its crap. And moving 2 is much more powerful than slowing since it is useful by itself and you control it while slowing need the opponent to play moves and you don't control if you want to slow or not(maybe you WANT that spear gnome to move toward you....)In MP,I would consider it equal to hexagon. It exchange some reliability on melee for not being dead draw vs mages.

Still not worth buying when hexagon is so cheap however.

11. Ector

Ector Hydra

Still, it's going to be discarded first if you would need to discard.

It's better in SP since there are many long-ranged attacks there. And slowing is much better than moving since you don't generally need extra moves, but you really need to slow down a giant monster until your wizards deal with him.

12. Youbo

Youbo Orc Soldier

I don't get it. If you are in a mission with mainly long-ranged monsters,just use a bulleye shield. If they are mostly melee,use hexagon. There is no point to use it in SP where you know what you will face. Slowing and moves serve the same job,which is keeping distance between monster you want to avoid or get near a monster you are chasing.

13. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Superb Toughness
    Violent Spin is fantastic. The only reason it saw as little play as it did was because of a little card called Team Run. If the nerfing of Team Run goes through I would not be surprised to see a surge in Violent Spins. It is less explosive early on but it's usefulness only goes up as the game progresses. Unfortunately for Superb Toughness, Shrug It Off is a steaming pile. Before, it had niche play for people that were fed up with encumber but now you're more likely to see burning attachments or nothing at all. The cantrip keyword prevents it from being truly useless as you can always use it to regain priority but it just isn't worth it if that's its sole purpose. On the bright side, Shrug it Off counters all those pesky stun cards, aka only Anvil Strike. If you want an extra copy of Violent Spin be on the look out for Ferocity. Wouldn't purchase Superb Toughness.

There are a heck of a lot more encumber and stun effects in the campaign. Shrug it Off gets a lot more use but is it worth a minor token and a card to unlock your character for a turn? Heck no. Save those tokens for stuff that matter and use Apprentice Ferocity or Raging Battler instead. Yes, even for wizards. Even though Blind Rage hurts sometimes the card cycling and the ability to power up other slots more than make up for it. I like dwarf wizard farming like I like my colonoscopies, over quick with a hint of danger. Wouldn't purchase Superb Toughness.

Substitutes
    Charging Boulder (E) (minortoken), Toughness (E) (minortoken)
    The Daily Deal

Gleaming Glaive- Low damage and 3 awful attacks. Polearm Slash might look fun to build around but you only need to have it Boiling Armored away with the rest of your armor once to have second thoughts.
    Runcible's Bracelet- Counterspell is too narrow and Penetrating Zap is terrible.
    Staff Of Blazing Sparks- Not as good as Mordecai's Staff Of Magma but it is a decent substitute until you get one.

Notable Rares
    Burnished Plates- Vamps have a tough time against armor and Frenzy Aura is a popular way to get around it. You can usually afford the major token with vamps but you can also try Jet Armor or Metzli Mail if you can't.
    Focused Teleportation- Good for Volcano builds and a decent choice for any wizard that doesn't have many spells to buff.
    Spear Of Dancing- Useful on tanky or victory point capturing warriors. The damage is too low for a regular warrior.
    Vibrant Plate- Good way to increase mobility on your warrior without adding pure movement cards.

UpstartPuppet likes this.
  14. Accent

Accent Hydra

15. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Someone needs to Shrug it Off.

Foz, Pawndawan, Bandreus and 3 others like this.
  16. Foz

Foz Lizardman Priest

My brain auto-completed this to "Vibrant Pain" once I read the word "vibrant." I was about to rush to log in and hit up the DD. Sad panda.

17. BlackVoidDeath

BlackVoidDeath Guild Leader

↑ since he put it under rares i dont know how you got it mixed up and anyway i prefer to look at the items myself before peonprop's suggestions.

18. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

I'm pretty sure that there are more items with "Toughness" in their name with Shrug It Off then there are with Toughness.

Foz likes this.
  19. Getorix

Getorix Orc Soldier

Couldn't help but notice the assessment of penetrating zap. I actually think that of the host of crappy little damage dealers wizards have to deal with on arcane items, penetrating zap is one of the least offensive. It's not great by any means but I think it's not bad at all, especially when paired with boots or armor that carry arcane aura or shell. A range of 3 is outside stabs and penetrating is really nice. For a little poke spell, I wouldn't complain about penetrating zap.

Sir Veza and Mr. Magnifico like this.
  20. Ector

Ector Hydra

Crazy Sal's Halberd 5!/5. The advantages of this wonderful weapon are obvious: both Polearm Slash and Blind Rage are very strong, and the Halberd is very focused, providing three copies of each card. Polearm Slash serves as both armor and a strike, and it strikes at range 2, which is great for a squishy elven warrior. Blind Rage empowers all your strikes, which is especially appreciated by non-dwarves who cannot get the Rages from their racial skills. Overall, it's one of the best weapons in the game, so you should grab it immediately, especially if you have some plans to play the elven warriors.

Apprentice Command 2/3. Subtle Parry is crappy.
    Hydrogen Staff
    Sergeant's Helm

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
    Pawndawan likes this.