The Daily Deal

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Fry_The_Guy, Aug 21, 2014.

1. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Asmod's Telekinetic Chain is a completely different beast but you probably have enough Telekinesis that you can do without Luke's Iron Hand.

If ever there was an item for people with too much gold, Luke's Iron Hand is it. If you're even slightly hesitant about purchasing it then you are not one of those people. The only reason I bought them was because I had enough gold left over to get the very few items I was still waiting for at the time. Now that there's new stuff out, if I could trade in my Luke's Iron Hands for chase EttSC items I would.

2. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

It really depends on how many TKs you want in your deck. If you absolutely need that additional TK, then yes. Otherwise, Asmod's Telekinetic Chain and especially Ring Of Appropriation are good replacements.

As @peonprop pointed out, the very fact you're questioning whether you need Luke's Hand or not probably is good indication that you don't really need it.

If the time ever comes that you find yourself using a build which would really benefit from the Hand, you will just know it.

3. kyokasuigetsu

kyokasuigetsu Kobold

Thanks to both for your answers:). Much appreciated.
    I'll keep my gold then:rolleyes:

Sir Veza and Bandreus like this.
  4. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Lewin's Boots
    Peon's Prescription for Prodigious Multiplayers
    Remember how I said Violent Spin usage would go way up after the Team Run nerf? Well I'm sorry loyal reader but I was wrong. Huge shocker, I know, but there's a first for everything. I'm still a huge fan of Violent Spin and I believe it is currently the most powerful move card but there are a couple things going against Violent Spin boots. Violent Spin does not help melee characters all that much. At the end of the day, your primary goal is to run up and smack people. To that end, Violent Spin may as well be a Run. For buff priests and wizards, Violent Spin acts as an unblockable Telekinesis for adjacent characters but would the token you're spending be better used elsewhere? Judging from how often I don't see it being played or even how often I use it myself, the answer is no. Lewin's Boots aren't bad. The Dangerous Maneuvers are painful but they help melee attackers get close while giving support characters and wizards a long move to escape with. If you've got the token to spare Lewin's Boots are a great option but I also wouldn't go out of my way to free up a token for it either. Purchase if you've got spare gold but don't sweat it if you need to pass on it.

Peon's Perspective for Penny-Pinching Singleplayers
    Spending tokens on boots is a big no no. There are two exceptions to this rule. Token boots are acceptable if you want extra copies of Reliable Mail or you need a movement boost to chase down ranged mobs. Lewin's Boots sort of fits the second category but there are way cheaper options that do the job way better. I'm a huge fan ofTurquoise Boots for those situations. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    Foley's Footwear (E) (minortoken), Infernal Boots (R) (minortoken), Vinorkin's Boots (E) (minortoken), Zachary's Boots (E) (majortoken)The Daily Deal

Did Peon Buy It?
    Nope. I don't think I'd ever use them on a melee character over Hawkwind's Moccasins. It'd be fine on a wizard or support priest but at that point I'd rather run Vinorkin's Boots for sweet sweet Jump Back action.

Epics
    Banik's Bubbling Bauble- One of the better non-legendary Firestorm farming arcane items. The Slide spells help you get a wizard to the center of the map for maximum effect.
    Kerrick's Steel Boots- I would pass on them for multiplayer since even Reliable Mail isn't generally worth spending a token on. However, they are singleplayer all-stars where you get hit more often for less damage. Bonus points if you're running Firestorm.
    Sharp Shell- Shimmering Aura sucks.

Notable Rares
    Trainee Command- One of the few playable tokenless human skills. The only other one I'd consider is Novice Guidance.

Obernoob, Pawndawan and Sir Veza like this.
  5. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Uula's Whirling Robes
    I'm a pretty firm believer that Arcane Shell isn't worthy of spending a token on. The effect is too small and a lot of wizards don't have the attack density necessary to justify running it. Adding Whirlwind to the mix doesn't help either. Positioning is incredibly important for wizards. While you're more than likely going to move enemy melee characters out of their attack range, you could just as easily move yourself to a position where your own attacks are out of range or your line of sight is obstructed. The same goes for using Whirlwind to blow enemies out of cover and you can forget about holding victory squares. Would not purchase.

Any damage boost is a good thing but Whirlwind is significantly worse in singleplayer. The more mobs you're up against the greater the chance that you'll remain in something's attack range. The AI doesn't seek cover and there are fewer maps with victory squares to blow things off of. Instead of Uula's Whirling Robes, I'd go with Cotton Wizard's Robes and rely on a tanking character to keep your wizards unscathed. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    Tempest Robes (R) (minortoken)

Did Peon Buy It?
    Nope. I really like Whirlwind Enemies so I will occasionally bust out Tempest Robes if I'm feeling particularly evil but those decks tend to be on the controlling side where Arcane Shell has no place.

Epics
    Hutul's Robes- Force Cone is the big draw and Forceful Robes does it better.
    Mathiam's Helm- An ok substitute for the legendary Sprint, Team! helmets if you really want to build around it but it really only works for an all warrior party. They're the only ones with the damage output to take out an ambushed character.
    Tarial's Diadem- Counterspell is too narrow and there are better ways to get the other cards.

Notable Rares
    Cold Laser- I'd go with Supercooled Laser for Cooling Laser action but Cold Laser would be my second choice.
    Coruscating Blade- Great card draw, decent attacks, and a Purge thrown in for good measure.

Pawndawan likes this.
  6. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Mordecai's Staff Of Magma
    A lot of the time you can turn Volcano into a big rangeless Firestorm but obviously it's best when used in a one-sided fashion. The trick is playing in such a way that convinces your opponent that you aren't just passing to get them to waste move cards. Many a Volcano has been sniffed out by the infamous do nothing pass back. In fact, it's such a widely known phenomenon that I will sometimes fake pass with wizards holding mediocre cards that don't even run Volcano to see if my opponent will pass right back out of fear and allow me to craft a better hand. It works best when you can play a normal game of expending your visible move cards to encourage your opponent to do the same. That means running extra team moves, Telekinesis type spells, terrain overlays likeIllusory Barrier, and traits like Dimensional Traveler. Priests complement the strategy well with cleanse effects and a few of their own terrain spells like Consecrate Ground. Now on to the bad news. Volcano sucks against highly mobile teams such as step attack warriors. Also, the higher your rating, the more likely your opponent will have a lot of experience playing around Volcanoes. Mordecai's Staff of Magma gives you access to a powerful strategy with huge potential but it's effectiveness is hinged upon what and how your opponents play. I can absolutely recommend it for certain leagues like Roll out the Barrels where you have tons of time to mess around and the rangeless nature of Volcano is invaluable. For top tier play, Volcano is more trouble than it's worth. Would purchase if you want to try the strategy out for yourself. Would not purchase expecting free wins.

Yes, it costs double major tokens so you can only use it in modules level 14 and up. No, that doesn't matter diddly squat. Volcano will single handedly win you games. The most obvious example is the second level of Black Plume Mountain. Lay down a Volcano and those annoying Lightning Idols are dead in two turns, no questions asked. Volcano is so powerful that most of my high level farming parties are built around spamming them. There are a lot of modules where the enemies are too far away for Firestorm or you can't afford to take too much self damage. Highly recommend purchasing.

Substitutes
    Staff Of Blazing Sparks (E) (majortoken)(majortoken)
    The Daily Deal

Did Peon Buy It?
    Yes, but not today. I've got 4 already and my high level farming party has a spot reserved for a buff/Impenetrable Nimbus priest.

Epics
    Apprentice Command- Run, Team! is fantastic but Subtle Parry is one of those cards that I wouldn't play unless I'm getting 2 better cards out of the deal. It is a perfectly reasonable item if you rate Subtle Parry higher but I would try to swing a major token for Perfect Command or use Command instead.
    Staff Of Freezing Fire- Good attacks but unfocused.
    Vira's Chain- Useful for certain leagues but Teleport Self isn't great anywhere else, especially if you're waddling with the obligatory dwarf wiz. Morbo's Pendant would be better for singleplayer if you wanted it for some reason.

Notable Rares
    Displacing Staff- Punishing Bolt kills things dead so it's very useful when you need to take things out before they can hit back for stuff like 1 hp quests.
    Overheated Force Suit- The only way to get Lava Pool and one of few ways to get Force Field. Arcane Feedback is one of the easiest handicaps to play around since at worst you can just fire it off on one of your teammates.
    Perfect Command- The number one reason why humans make the best support priests on a melee team.
    Smoke Pin- The best Smoke Bomb item.
    Wingtip Robes- You need Fly for leagues like Wicked Waterways. It's often better to get Flight Aura from Winged Track Shoes so you can have Resistant Hide for the inevitable onslaught of Volcano spamming (or if you're a filthy Volcano spammer yourself) but Wingtip Robes is the next best option should your boots slot be unavailable.

7. BlackVoidDeath

BlackVoidDeath Guild Leader

How many of this Staff do we need? I have 5 and am quite tempted to buy a 6th, i am just afraid that i will get my 7th of this staff in the next chest after buying the staff.

8. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

I have currently four and I am thinking about buying the fifth. But I can't think of a build were I would need five. And I will be around tonight, so I can double buy, if there is something good. So buying the staff would be wasting the chance of buying something two times.

9. BlackVoidDeath

BlackVoidDeath Guild Leader

What is this???

10. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

11. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

Can anyone let me know if there is a Hurricane Stone in the Daily Deal ever? It is the last non-EttSC Rare that I don't have max usable for.

Sir Veza likes this.
  12. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Umm, so what is it you farm with? Why the double standard?
    I admit I love brute force (especially if I have the upper hand), but there is beauty in misdirection and finesse in a game. Anything to avoid a fair fight.

13. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

I am a card carrying member of the Filthy Volcano Spammer Club so that was more of a term of endearment. I was also specifically referring to constructed leagues. The AI doesn't normally complain after getting wrecked with Volcano.

14. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Barnum's Burning Bauble
    While Barnum's Burning Bauble isn't a bad item it is worse than other legendary options. Most burning decks do not actively want Firestorm. It is fine to have a couple as finishers but you are likely to already have a few copies from Firehide Robes and Azgul's Orb. If you're looking to build a Firestorm wizard, something I haven't seen since the range nerf, then you will want double Firestorm items instead. Look for items that only have Flame Jet and/or Glob Of Flame. Would not purchase.

Welcome to Singleplayerland, where up is down, black is white, and the countryside is ablaze from all the Firestormin. If you are just starting out with your Firestorm farming party you will basically want any old Firestorm item you can get your grubby mitts on. Barnum's Burning Bauble is better than most single Firestorm items but it is also way more expensive. There are plenty of rares and epics to choose from, with Magma Scepter being the cream of the crop. I would rather pick up 5 or more mediocre Firestorm items than 1 slightly better legendary. If you do want to splurge a little, hold out for Azgul's Orb, Brin's Storm Locket, andChartwell's Ring. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    None
    The Daily Deal

Did Peon Buy It?
    Nope. I've got all of the better burning wizard and Firestorm arcane items so I don't need their sub-optimal versions. I will buy stuff like Kerrick's Steel Boots over Quellic's Boots if I don't think the downgrade matters but changing a top tier burning spell to Firestorm and still charging a token is too much.

Epics
    Azure Shield- You are asking to get wrecked if you switch out a block for an easily blocked itself Lunging Bash. Bashes are best when you have a critical mass of them, preferably with a backup defensive measure should your first attempt fail.
    Jackrabbit Shield- Halt is one of the worst things that can happen to you so you need a lot of incentive to do it to yourself. A pair of Dodges didn't really cut it pre nerf and it sure doesn't now.
    Waenog's White Chain- Nice cards but unfocused. I would try to get items with two or more copies of the card you want instead.

Notable Rares
    Ironwood Staff Of The Magus- The anti-melee staff of choice when you have the major tokens, Staff Of Chask when you don't.
    Mail Of Absorption- Great for fighting Electricity based mobs like Wyverns if you don't want to deal with the Encumber from Stormward Pauldrons.
    Xipil's Ring- Cheap minor token Volcano.

Sir Veza likes this.
  15. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Kelvin's Chunk Of Ice
    Cone Of Cold can be tricky to use if you care about encumbering your own characters but that wide range also makes it very hard to play around. Cone of Cold is also the only cold spell available on arcane items. Slowing down multiple characters on the opposing team is powerful but not something you want to draw multiples of. Add that to a major token cost and you have an item that a lot of wizards can't afford to run. Most people that want a few extra cold spells opt for one of the minor token double Cone of Cold items. Would not purchase.

Encumber doesn't do anything against zombie hoards. Goblins have magic blocks for days. Oozes have long range attacks. Encumbering en masse is great in theory but there just aren't many good uses for Cone of Cold. Plus, it takes up valuable Firestorm/Volcano slots. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    Hasek's Icy Ring (E) (minortoken), Hylithia's Wand (E) (minortoken), Xochu's Icy Circlet (E) (minortoken)
    The Daily Deal

Did Peon Buy It?
    Nope. Now that Encumber doesn't halt anymore, stacking different Cold spells is way less useful. You don't need more than a couple Cone Of Colds so I always go with Xochu's Icy Circlet to save on major tokens.

Epics
    Atchocl's Spear- Only slightly better than Blackeye Hammer. I would try to get Maquah Of Ancient Blood or Blazing Shortsword instead.
    Cleansing Hide Armor- Good option for Cleansing effects but they are narrow enough that you'll rarely need them.
    St. Well's Powermace- Like a Healing Hand Mace with less consistent damage but better spells.

Notable Rares
    Overheated Force Suit- Great spells that more than make up for a very manageable handicap.
    Vampire's Blade- One of the best vamp weapons. Too many Loners make dual wielding a dangerous proposition but the first is almost the default choice.

16. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Yount's Chain
    Not much to say here. Burning wizards don't want it and it doesn't have enough Counterspells in case you're building for a wizard heavy field. Would not purchase.

A lot of magic using mobs have their own magic blocks so Counterspell doesn't land reliably if you lead off with it. Every other spell you use to bait them out is time you're giving the AI to empty its hand. You can use it as a block but who wants to add more blocks when you could be casting spells instead? Also, Glob Of Flame works best against the high hp bosses that you can focus single target attacks on but they are mostly melee focused. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    Tarial's Diadem
    The Daily Deal

Did Peon Buy It?
    Nope. With the introduction of Force Field even warriors can be a little magical but cards like these are very hard to hit with Counterspell. They are the first things to get cast and likely out of sight of your wizard.

Epics
    Cherry Shield- Significantly worse than Buckler Of Protection.
    Gaudekki's Orb- Not fancy enough for a burning wizard and not better than cheaper Firestorm items for farming.
    Staff Of Immolation- Nowhere near good enough to replace the premier Ember Burst staves, even with the lower token commitment.

Notable Rares
    Healthy Trickery- Particularly good on vamps for the Cantrip potential of Healing Dash with Talented Healer.
    Rod Of Winds- Whirlwind Enemies is criminally underplayed. You trade some consistency of traditional control spells for the ability to hit the entire opposing team.
    Sacrificial Axe- The same trait cycling as Vampire's Blade but much better for victory square shenanigans and playing keep away. I would pick Sacrificial Axe if you're expecting more melee and Vampire's Blade for anything ranged.

trrst and Sir Veza like this.
  17. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Troll's Ire
    If you want armor removal on your weapon without using major tokens Troll's Ire is the best option. Blind Rageis tough to get on non-dwarves so getting some copies from a non-skill source is also welcome. The biggest downside is obviously the low number of attacks but 32 damage is actually very respectable for the token cost and the two Blind Rages cycle you further into your deck. I wouldn't call getting Troll's Ire a huge priority but it does give you a lower cost option for armor removal. There isn't too much armor stacking going around soSundering Strike is pretty much for Toughness checking dwarf wizards. Would get it if you have extra gold but don't sweat it if you can't afford it or you decide to pass on it.

Troll's Ire is probably most useful for Trog slaying as you only have access to minor tokens at that level. However, Sundering Strike only works on successful armor rolls and it's tough getting enough copies. I always take a wizard along for armor removal duty instead and let warriors focus on high damage attacks once everyone is naked. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    Marblehilt Blade (R) (minortoken)
    The Daily Deal

Did Peon Buy It?
    Yes, but not today. I'm fairly certain I'm never going to need more than 2. Troll's Ire is my go to double minor token weapon when I don't need the step attacks from Rageblood Dagger. There's also a bunch of new armors to Sundering Strike but it's worth noting that it doesn't work against Adaptable.

Epics
    Basher's Delight- One of the best Bash weapons but Bash warriors are an acquired taste.
    Cleansing Diamond- Good item but Cleansing effects aren't hard to come by on divine items and you won't want them all that often.
    Raxcotl's Hammer- If you're going spend tokens on such vanilla attacks you might as well play Infused Greatclub and kill maim some elf wizards.

Notable Rares
    Automatic Shield- Particularly useful in the Astral Shrine modules. I would definitely keep tabs on Automatic Shield as new levels come out as Auto Block is an incredibly powerful effect.
    Chaos Hammer- Incredibly powerful cards and highly unpredictable. I don't quite have the guts to run something so random but I imagine it's a blast to play with.
    Crusty Helm- One of the best tokenless helmets.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  18. karadoc

karadoc Hydra

Troll's Ire is pretty good. I have one already and I think I'll buy a second one.

Are you sure that Sundering Strike doesn't work against Cushioning Armor? I haven't tried it; but based on the card descriptions it should definitely work. If it doesn't work, then that sounds like a bug. I haven't noticed it on the bug report forum.

peonprop likes this.
  19. j3st3ri

j3st3ri Thaumaturge

I totally agree; if Sundering Strike doesn't work against Cushioning Armor at the moment, it should be fixed.

20. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity