The Daily Deal

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Fry_The_Guy, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Wow, thanks, Scarponi! How did you manage that?

2. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

Crazy excel skillz

3. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

More proof how insane strongarm is damagewise for no token.

4. Drakkan

Drakkan Ogre

Let's nerf it .. put I believe it should have at least 3 weak blocks!!!

5. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Strongarm is reasonable for a no-tech legendary. Too many weapons are just too weak.

6. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

Can't tell if youre joking, but a slightly better no-token version of Blocking Axe would be welcome. Maybe not with strongarm as a foundation though.

7. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

What Bandreus said, I actually pretty much already had it, just had to tweak a few things to make it forum post-able.

This brings up a good point, keep in mind that list offers base damage values only, it speaks not at all to tech, extended damage (burning, etc) or the like.

8. Drakkan

Drakkan Ogre

:) .. I was joking ... whenever a card gets some "overpowered" hype, some players start start asking for a nerf .. (let's burn the Witch)
    Luckily Strong Hack doesn't leave that much scars/pain as OB/Defender's Block etc does .. so Strongarm might be safe .. for now

Just, let's not mention The Strongarm in "OP"-context any more .. just in case ;)

9. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

i just made an observation based on the gap between strongarm and the next tokenless item on that list. You've been the one asking for a nerf, and you forgot to use the irony font.
    Its true that strongarm flies under the radar of the nerf-mob thanks to its unspectacular cards.

10. Drakkan

Drakkan Ogre

Whaat? I haven't been asking for a nerf, that was the "irony" .. and first of all - what's "irony font" .. and even if I knew what it is I don't really see the point in emphasising irony by fonts..
    But whatever, we apparently did not understand each other .. I totally agree with you about The Strongarm being insanely good as tokenless .. I just wanted to say that if we continue speaking that someone might <irony=ON>call for nerf<irony=OFF>.

Melancthon likes this.
  11. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Knife Of St. Blenko
    Peon's Prescription for Prodigious Players
    Knife of St. Blenko used to be pretty neat. Then they made Inspiring Presence only draw for attacks. And then they nerfed Firestorm. You need to reliably stay out of range of your opponent's characters for optimal use and that won't happen too often without some hot wizard on wizard action. Maybe the current supposed scourge of burst wizards is enough to push Knife of St. Blenko over the line of playability but I still think Inspiring Presence will help out opponents too often for comfort. Would not purchase.

Peon's Perspective for Penny-Pinching Singleplayers
    I have used Inspiring Presence in Firestorm Builds in the past. It is actually not too bad. If you wait for the mobs to get close before you throw out any Firestorms you can use it as a block remover/pseudo Dwarven Battle Cry. Let them hit you a bit while hold back and you can fire Inspiring Presence off without much consequence. Still, there are a couple reasons why I moved away from it. Drawing Inspiring Presence anytime after the first turn will usually undo most of a Firestorm so it just becomes a dead card to be used only in case of emergency. If the mobs do come within range you can no longer use it to help win a damage race. Currently, my Firestorm parties stacks Impenetrable Nimbus instead. It's a lot easier to get copies of and it draws out attacks on top of make a character invincible for the turn. Again, Inspiring Presence just doesn't do enough to warrant running over other much cheaper priest cards. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    Inkdark Halberd (E) (minortoken)(minortoken), Godtouched Spear (E) (majortoken)(majortoken)

Fingerbone Of St. Ob
    Gaudekki's Orb- Firestorm alert.
    Japper's Energy Boots

12. Questor

Questor Ogre

Your are right if you only look at normal ranked matches.

But the Knife is very good on a lot of League maps (Golden Shrine, Wicked Waterways, Roll Out the Barrels and Death March) if you have the right team.
    Still a luxury item but worth it if you already have a good collection of Wizard stuff which goes well with it.

13. PDXTai

PDXTai Ogre

Hackmaster 56
    Looks like you're using the damage on the test server as the live version is 20 +8*5 = 60
    Same deal for weapons with obliterating bludgeon.

14. Drakkan

Drakkan Ogre

I noticed that too and wanted to comment .. but then I also noticed:

Wise guy this one is ;)

PDXTai, FDrybob and Scarponi like this.
  15. Ector

Ector Hydra

Clovidian's Mail 4/4. Really good armor, if you can afford spending a token. Nothing spectacular, but reliable protection, especially for an elf, who appreciates Heal 2. I am not buying it myself, since I have Xander's Mail, and the armor is usually the place to save a token, but it isn't a bad purchase, if you have a lot of gold.

Backflip Buckler 3/3. Nice shield, but Jarring Block isn't great, and yellow token is a lot.
    Gaudekki's Orb 3/5. One of the best tokenless Firestorm items for SP.
    Necalli Charm 3/3. There are better healing items and better vampiric items.

16. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Clovidian's Mail
    Clovidian's Mail is the best Reliable Mail heavy armor for a minor token but it has two things going against it that make it an awful buy. There are 3 epic heavy armors that also have double Reliable Mail. The only advantage of using Clovidian's Mail over the second best ones is a whopping 2 whole hp you get from discarding Toughened Hide Strips. The more nuanced reason is that heavy armor is one of the most popular item slots to go tokenless with, the most prominent ones being Perilous Ringmail and Spiked Tlahuiztli with Dependable Mail being respectable as well. The default method of distributing tokens for a warrior is 2 tokens on martial skill and boots for Team Runs and most likely 6 tokens on weapons. If you do use a single token or tokenless weapon (more than one will make your warrior wimpy) the next two slots that usually get attention are shield and racial skill. Both these slots offer unique card advantage options like Defender's Block, Toughness, Dash, Team!, and Elvish Scamper. Reliable Mail does a respectable job in competing with these cards against wizards but big melee attacks can essentially blank them. If you do decide to upgrade your heavy armor slot just get one of the epic options. You can also consider using a major token for Rolf's Reliable Platemail. Would not purchase.

What's that Randimar, your Toughened Hide Strips will heal me 2 hp if I fork over 2000 extra gold? I have a better idea, why don't you show me that True Mail off the clearance rack? Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    Sturdy Armor (E) (minortoken), Sturdy Mail (E) (minortoken), True Mail (E) (minortoken)

Backflip Buckler
    Gaudekki's Orb- Again? I guess if you don't already have a bajillion of these.
    Necalli Charm

Peon's Post-Parity Permutation Prognostication (balance changes caveat to the above advice)
    Depending on how the Team Run nerf plays out the tokens used for boots and martial skill may be up for grab. I would highly recommend looking into both cards that may replace Team Run and powered items you could upgrade to should tokens become more available. Investing in one of the epic Reliable Mail armors is a good idea if you have extra gold to play around with.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
    wavy likes this.
  17. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Bloodchopper
    Chops are awful in multiplayer. There are very few situations where you'll hit more than one target for Obliterating Chop. The people that don't move away have blocks or think they can outrace you in damage. If you do manage to get a chop off you can be fairly certain they won't let you do it again for full value. Unless you can reliably get adjacent to multiple enemies using things like control wizards, Entangling Roots, or taking advantage of a map with 4 central victory points you should evaluate the weapon as if chops were single target. In that case, you are paying for 4 overcosted attacks and an overrated block. If you want to build around chops it is irreplaceable but hard to make work. Would not purchase.

Obliterating Chop is great in singleplayer. No building around chop is necessary. You will always have targets against melee mobs that mindlessly move in for the kill. Be aware of trees with slash attack immunities and you can pretty much turn your warrior into a walking lawnmower. The biggest thing that prevents Bloodchopper from being a great buy is the token cost. You can only use it in level 14+ modules. If you prefer using melee parties to farm higher levels and are looking for a way to dispatch multiple enemies quicker then Bloodchopper is the best tool for the job. Buy if you think you'll get good mileage out of it but it is much lower priority than Volcano and Firestorm items for most people. I myself am too much of a Volcano junkie to go blood chopping.

Substitutes
    None

Bec De Corbin
    Lt. Morrison's Helmet
    Wex's Mail

18. Ector

Ector Hydra

Bloodchopper 3/3. As peonprop said, you will rarely hit two chars with Obliterating Chop in MP, especially after your opponent will know that you're playng Bloodchopper. In SP you should care not about killing the enemies like a mad, but about surviving. Monsters are numerous, and you will have two yellow tokens only in the high-level scenarios anyway. The Bloodchopper deals only 40 damage, has absolutely no tech besides a nice block, and even has a drawback! Don't buy it.

Bec De Corbin 2/2. With the upcoming Dodge nerf it will be absolutely useless. Only 3 attacks, even good, is not enough.
    Lt. Morrison's Helmet 2/2. Same here.
    Wex's Mail 3?/4? If you ever would play warriors versus mages, this mail can be very good, especially combined with Nassrum's Moccasins. This may happen even in MP, if you want to bring a "rogue party" on the map where everyone is playing wizards, and there are many SP scenarious with a lot of magic and shooting. 500 gold isn't very much to have it "just in case".

19. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I think Bloodchopper was the very first legendary I bought from Randimar. It's the absolute best at what it does, but as peonprop and Ector say, what it does isn't very useful.

(Though I did use it to chop up Flaxative in a recent co-op game. :))

Flaxative likes this.
  20. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

If you can get them grouped (which happens in some SP dungeons), it deals up to 80 damage without buffs. It's really fun when it works. :) Pity it isn't useful more often.

FDrybob likes this.