The Daily Deal

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Fry_The_Guy, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Ector

Ector Hydra

I've already admitted that (according to your definition of "instant buy"). There is nothing to discuss.

I guess this is the wrong thread to discuss the various Crusher builds, and I'm going to create a special thread for this.

2. Drakkan

Drakkan Ogre

And I (we all) would be glad to see those builds.. I would even like to test them, I just dont have Lunginators :/ ..
    I've put FC in my Farming Team .. to try to "feel" it a bit.. but it's too early to say.

You could post some builds there (all 3 characters) .. especially budget versions .. maybe not for top players .. but there are a bunch of lower level players, who aren't even registered to the Forum, who would like to to test some builds.. I know I was looking for nice builds myself when I started..

If those Decks show enough power, some of those players will drive those decks to high ranks and became the best Ambassadors of your creations..

I will always support such efforts, to help new players.. I have posted all my Farming teams in Deckbuilding section ..

We all would like more players.. as .. after all, beside skill and good deck, what do you need to get 1900+ rating, 2000+ rating?
    You need a lot of players with 1700, 1800 and 1900 rating.. as you lose too much when paired with lower rating players (who could be playing same deck as you)

Until next Daily Deal

3. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Just in case anyone be led astray by this comment, Team Run is definitely the single best card available to players in the game right now. It is the most powerful effect on a single card and the most instant card advantage on a single card, and it's possible to get it in your deck at little cost (Savvy Attacker being the best item with it, bringing two traits for cycling at a total cost of (minortoken)).

4. Ector

Ector Hydra

I wasn't trying to say that it isn't good. It's really awesome! It's so good that boots are generally chosen by having this card.
    But all that doesn't mean that Savvy Attacker is automatically better than Focused Crushing. Team Run is a one-time effect, and you're getting only one copy. Crusher lasts for 3 turns, and you're getting 3 copies of it. Your choice.

5. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Fair enough!

6. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

I like Drakkan's ideas a lot. I've always avoided terms like must buy but I will try not so say an item is the best if it isn't a strictly better version of other things. I will also try to note cheaper alternatives that can be used to substitute if they exist. Maybe a multiplayer playability rating, single player rating, and a power level rating to differentiate between actual and potential use.

7. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

Garalem's Boots - There are definitely situations where a Wild Run is very helpful. Exceedingly, at times. But it's a toss-up between these and Mouse Boots, and I certainly use Mouse Boots more often.
    Verdict- Good item, mediocre buy.

[sarcasm] Barreling Club- this thing is OP. Nanananana...instant buy.
    Oh wait... no it's not. You should save your gold for Hand-Held Ram instead. [/sarcasm] XD

Magma Scepter - it has Firestorm over Xipil Ring (only 100g), although considering that the Volcano is what counts, it might not be the best 500 g you ever spent. It depends how many good firestorm items you have.

Xalanen's Boots- Good tokenless boots, certainly a handy item to have in your collection. It's not the best source of armor, and it's not the best source of Healing Dash either, so use at your discretion.

In the rare department, Trained Stoutness is one of my favorite items- three blocks for one token.

8. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Garalem's Boots
    Multiplayer-3
    Flanking Move is a very powerful card. It allows wizards to reposition themselves and hit an enemy without giving up priority. It is useful for getting a surprise hit on things behind cover. Warriors that rely on stab or step attacks can also circumvent the adjacent to enemy drawback. At the very least you can use it to regain priority at the end of a turn. Being tokenless with three great cards is a big plus. However, there are multiple boots with double Flanking Move and while this is one of the better ones they do not say Team Run on them. These are best on ranged characters that are out of tokens.

Singleplayer-4
    When your enemies come to you and don't seek cover Flanking Move loses a lot of utility. It will primarily be used to gain priority at the end of turns. I will generally look for cycling traits or armor on my boots but regaining priority can be crucial if you rely on terrain barriers like Flash Flood or buff effects like Impenetrable Nimbus that you want active at the start of the next turn. Cantripping moves are essential for some 1 HP quests.

Overall power level- Meh. Not what you want to be spending gold on if you're short on funds.

Substitutes: Mouse Boots (E)

Barreling Club
    Magma Scepter- Volcano alert. Add on Firestorm and you've got one sweet sp farming item.
    Xalanen's Boots

5-Will fit in any deck. Sees a lot of play in multiplayer or has great utility in single player.
    4-Powerful, but deck specific. Popular in multiplayer or useful in certain adventures.
    3-Average. You could do better, you could do worse. The cards on this item will not make or break a build.
    2-Subpar. There are unplayable aspects to this item or many better alternatives exist.
    1-Very bad to totally unplayable. Little or no redeeming qualities.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
    trrst and Ector like this.
  9. Ector

Ector Hydra

Great reviews, guys!

I can only add that Xalanen's Boots are my favorite farming boots (2 wiz + priest Firestorm party), and I'm using them every day. As long as most of the damage you take comes from magic/ranged attacks, Shimmering Aura isn't much worse than Reliable Mail on Bertha's Big Clogs, while Healing Dash is definitely much better than Walk. So if you at least farm the Loot Fairy every day, consider buying the boots. Especially if you don't have enough Clogs for all three characters.

10. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

Umm Vira's Shoes > Xalanen's Boots in terms of armor, and when you're farming you are probably mashing Flash of Agony/Firestorm, not so much running around.

Makes me miss that one draft tournament I played. Heavy Dashing Boots were really useful there, of all things! So let's just say that having some Move 4's in your deck doesn't hurt. They're handy.
    Or, at least it doesn't hurt less than having actual armor when you are getting blasted. Then it definitely hurts more.

11. Ector

Ector Hydra

Yes, movement isn't as important as the armor, but Healing Dash saved my butt a lot of times: my wizard with low health could disengage and heal in one action, and the bots started to attack the other chars. Plus, in some missions you have to reach the enemy guarding the victory area, and Move 4 becomes very useful too.

12. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

I beg to differ -- I think Defender's Block is better. It isn't as much of a card advantage, but it is ALWAYS useful. Team Run isn't useful if you get it when you already have other move cards and don't need to reposition.

13. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Well it's not particularly useful if it's end of the game and the opponent has victory square position while you just need one more attack to win by total KO, but they're just going to pass and dare you to do something. But, I get what you're saying.

14. Stexe

Even then, you have a chance of baiting an attack and getting a card advantage. It also helps thin out your deck due to drawing -- can prevent other targets from getting hit. And can bait a big hit on a target that isn't facing. It is just obscene and puts Team Run to shame.

15. Drakkan

Drakkan Ogre

Well I disagree .. I believe (similar) deck without Defender's Blocks is inferior to deck without Team Runs..
    When I realized the power of movement I jumped up 200 points.. I also had 3 Aegises in my deck somewhere along the run .. and then slowly removed one by one (to free up that yellow token)..

Or - how many decks are there in top 10/20 ranks without Team Run and how many without Defender's Block..

16. Stexe

It is map dependent how much movement you need. But it also comes down to how many of something you can get for a token. Would you rather have 1 Team Run for a Gold token (in Boots) or 2 Defender's Block for a Gold token (in Shield)? I'll take 2 Defender's Blocks over 1 Team Run.

17. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

By that logic all dwarves should be running Perfect Toughness. A gold token is just too valuable to use on shields sometimes. Team Run is a heck of a lot more popular because it usually just costs a blue token. Defender's block is great and I will run it whenever I have the tokens for it but I don't think it's powerful enough to mess up another part of your build.

18. Darial Storm

Darial Storm Orc Soldier

Both cards are very useful in the current meta. How valuable team run is relative to Defender's Block really depends on your specific team composition.

19. Drakkan

Drakkan Ogre

When I put 3 Aegises in my party .. I thought it would be like "oh man I'm now so protected" .. it was not like so .. there are only 2 Defender's Blocks in Aegis.. you draw 1 .. sometimes 2 .. you block and get a card..
    if you blocked a melee attack with your front character its same as Parry .. only Parry has better chances.. ok, you sometimes block with other characters.. but then you get only 2 blocks on your main character and that compensates a bit..
    (maybe I could try Yvette's Buckler .. got 2x )
    Then I took out Aegis from my tank to free up Yellow Token .. then I took it out from 2nd melee character.. and I only had 2 DB's on priest .. that had marginal effect .. and finally I took it out for Bloody Command..
    And rare were the situations when my 2 melee characters would block attack on priest.. so they mostly block attacks on them ...and other blocks can do than .. (yes yes you get a card.. but you get weak chop instead of 3rd block)

But when I put Team Run .. it was like "dwarves fly again" .. somehow I'm much more happy to see Team Run in my hand than Defender's Block.. Defender's Block is canceled by a weak chop or pen. cut.. but Team Run will have its effect..
    It can be used both defensively and offensively .. it's great against Mages .. it's great when chasing hurt characters .. etc.. it opens up new strategic options ..

So somehow I got the impression that Defender's Block can be decently substituted by weaker blocks + token .. but Team Run cant be substituted by not-having-Team-Run (ok, maybe with Commands ;) )..
    Maybe it comes down to play style or team composition as Darial Storm said ..

I wish there was item with 2 Defender's Block + some other block ;)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
    TeJaQuKiAce likes this.
  20. TeJaQuKiAce

TeJaQuKiAce Kobold

I have been playing with 3 Aegis Of The Defender myself for quite a while, and I have to say it's a lot of fun to play with. In my opinion it is definitely worth the gold token, since when you draw it, you get fresh card supply straight to the battle front. The weak chop sucks, but with MF and Blind Rage it's still a potential double 7HP hit.

Right now my team is constantly shifting between using Savvy Attacker and Superb Impaling. With Superb Impaling you get 2 traits that you actually use, unlike with Savvy Attacker where I have no use for a slice trait. If I wasnt packing Cuirass Of Froth, I would probably not doubt and always go with Savvy Attacker.