Challenge - The Nudie Run

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Farbs, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

Remember when you held your breath every time you opened a treasure chest, and inspected every common item with glee and wonder? You can bring those moments back with The Nudie Run.

Here's what you do:
    1. Create a new campaign party with no items whatsoever. For extra difficulty you could start with lvl1 characters, but high level characters are fine too.
    2. Starting from level 1, complete a single adventure at each level until you defeat Xanthicus, or fail an adventure.
    3. You may only equip items from the loot that you earn. To make this simple, you can only equip items that are sitting in loot chests, and you may only add items to loot chests if they are currently equipped by your nudie run party. Once an item moves into your collection it cannot be equipped.
    4. Post updates about your progress in this thread

2. Farbs

Run 1
    No club items
    Fully leveled characters

Progress:
    Level 5, just beat the warden by the skin of my teeth (3 hp between a priest and a warrior). Not sure where to go next. Don't think I can hold out much longer. Haven't opened the adventure chest yet but I'm going to need it to be rather special.

Level 6, just started on Diamonds of the Kobolds. Uh oh. My first drop was all treasure items. This is going to hurt.

3. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Sounds fun, will try this tonight!

4. tuknir

tuknir #3 in Spring PvP Season

i will try it :) just a question: if i die its game over or i can still use the other 2 "lives"?

5. Farbs

I think it's probably okay to use all three attempts. Otherwise a bad draw can just destroy you, which isn't much fun.
    No purchasing extra attempts with gold though!

karadoc likes this.
  6. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Farbs, what's your stance on club items? Should these be allowed to be counted, or just regular chest drops? Would make sense from the challenge factor not to "allow" them, if people want to compare their runs.

Edit: I see the point of club items was already brought up - that's what I get from posting from work.

7. Oberon

Oberon Hydra

I'll try this. Yay rougue-like versions.

Should probably spell out that you can't wait for a rest and replay adventures as well.

8. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Are you allowed to pick treasure hunts?

9. Pengw1n

My nude newbie (all started at lvl 1) just beat Garnet Demon Portal.

Progress: (LVL1) White Skull Canyon> (LVL2) Caverns of the Troglodytes> (LVL3) Highway Robbery> (LVL4) Garnet Demon Portal. I chose the adventures with most battles to maximize my loot, but avoided the golems due to lack of penetrating attacks - not sure I dare tackle Shieldhaven, even with more chance of loot. Hm.

10. Oberon

Oberon Hydra

I've managed to beat adventures up to Lvl 6 in my current attempt.

I skipped The Wizards Workshop, probably beatable now that I think about it. I also skipped Ruby Demon Portal figuring the last battle could be tricky. I'm not sure if the White Star is worth it, so didn't do that either.

Slub Gut's Sanctum was the closest I came to defeat so far. The lizardmen that guard him do a lot of consistent damage, and you really need to draw enough attack cards to beat them.

At Lvl 6 I went for Defense of Woodhome first, then the Diamond mines. Now I'm not sure what to try next. I don't have near enough penetrating attacks to try the Trogs. So probably try the trees next.

11. Pengw1n

Weren't we only supposed to beat 1 adventure per level before moving to the next? Maybe I misunderstood the "rules", or your post. Just making sure! :)

12. Oberon

Oberon Hydra

Oh wait, i missed the part about only 1 per level. Ha, I'll try again tomorrow.

13. This seems really fun. Any way you could add either a game mode, or map to facilitate this type of challenge? Would be awesome to have a rogue-ish mode, where you got to keep all of the items you got in a run, with a better quality chest at the very end.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  14. Oberon

Oberon Hydra

Lvl 7 was beatable. My favored lvl choices would probably be White Skull -> Wizards Workshop -> Highway Robbery -> Dungeon of Lizard Priest -> Rescue from Shieldhaven Prison -> The Defense of Woodhome -> Forest of Souls.

Not sure from there, I'll try again tomorrow.

15. Farbs

This was born from pondering what a rogue-ish mode would be, so yeah I'm definitely thinking about that as I/we play it. Experimenting with the format helps map out the design space too, so please feel free to go ahead with any variants you want to try.

ParodyKnaveBob and karadoc like this.
  16. Pengw1n

I went for Shieldhaven in the end anyway - the amount of loot was the thing that got me to pull the trigger, and - it payed off. I had to replay the last battle once - but it's all within the 3 attempt margin. Now to decide what lvl 6 adventure I should go for...

17. Here's another somewhat related idea: what about a rogue-like arena challenge with either infinite procedurally generated maps/parties, or just a big number? Start with random party (3x random classes, 3x random races) and 1 random item for each slot for that class vs another procedurally generated AI team with same restrictions?

If you win, you go against another team, same rules.

To stay on topic, you could always ask players to play nude at home ;)

18. Pengw1n

There's currently no way to spawn random maps and/or monsters - it's been suggested a lot earlier, but let's keep this thread on the Nudie Challenge - or slight variation thereof. A sort of semi-iron man thing would be good, maybe with a bronze, silver and gold medal? Gold for zero retries, silver for 1 and bronze for 2 fails - this could somehow impact an Iron Man chest track or something? Your inventory would be locked during the challenge - unless you switch parties.

19. Oberon

Oberon Hydra

First, I am 100% behind a rogue-like mode. Yes, please. In many ways it plays like a limited version of SP, bringing interesting decisions back to SP play rather than just repeatedly grinding for treasure. It made me make invested choices about low level items, which is a lot of fun and a great reuse of your content. It forced me to evaluate negative traits in a way the regular campaign doesn't, which was also a lot of fun. Just tried it the one time today, but I enjoyed it a lot, and look forward to trying it again.

You could allow a single run through it each day (maybe allow players to buy more runs with gold [yay more gold sinks] or pizza), with a good chest awarded based on how far you make it. Make leader boards for people to brag about. Pure awesomeness to me. Plus I can already see the epic arguments it would bring about how this can never be a true Rogue-like. :)

Personally, the biggest thing I'd suggest is to involve the stores. Rogue-likes often have stores and it would keep treasure useful in the game (on my initial test this is already an issue for the mode) which also makes level selections more interesting. Plus it gives you some flexibility down the line, allowing you to do some interesting things like take unbalance parties by planning to buy things from the store. I don't think it's needed at the low levels, but I have a feeling it'll help get over the curve into the middle/later level adventures. I.E.; you would be allowed to sell items/treasure you found to be used in the store during your run. Some thought needs to go into this, as you'd need to tie the store to the run, but I think it adds a lot of value to the gameplay.

Character levels needs to be figured out. The exp gain doesn't work so well for starting with level 1 characters, as they will quickly fall behind. Starting with max level characters is the best option at the moment, though a custom mode where you leveled up with each adventure may be another possibility if this is something you want to support more officially.

A separate inventory/lockbox would be nice though it isn't essential by any means. Locking down the treasure club would also be nice to avoid temptation to cheat as well.

I also lean towards no-deaths allowed, 2 replays of each module seems really forgiving for a rogue-like, but that's just me. Bad draws would kill you out, but high amounts of randomness is the name of the game in a rogue-like.

The treasure hunts are definitely a benefit to players as well, it's not fair but personally I feel they make the choices better given the current options. I would be curious what others who don't have the treasure hunts think.

karadoc likes this.
  20. ElShafto

ElShafto Goblin Champion

Ok, I must be slow on the uptake, because I'm confused. To do this I have to:

1) Buy 3 new figures?
    2) Start playing adventures naked, and after each battle I can only equip what I've won in -that particular battle- in the next battle, giving up previous equipment?
    3) I can retry only if I don't spend any $$?