The Daily Deal

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Fry_The_Guy, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Accent

Accent Hydra

Korenchkin's? Insta-purchase. Not because I need it, or I have a deck in mind, but who knows when it will next pop up?

There is only one way to get Adaptable for each class, so . . .

2. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Korenchkin's Tactical Tunic
    Peon's Prescription for Prodigious Multiplayers
    Is Adaptable worth a major token? For a warrior or priest probably not. But for a wizard, there is no other armor that comes close to preventing the amount of damage that Adaptable will. Sparkling Cloth Armor sort of competes but only against melee. Resistant Hide also has massive damage prevention potential but there are a lot less burning and spark wizards than burst wizards running around. Not to mention the addition of Laser attacks introduced another way to get around it. Being immune to Sundering Strike is another huge advantage in Adaptable's favor. Korenchkin's Tactical Tunic has a hefty major token cost and doesn't work well if your wizard relies on attachments. For those reasons, it isn't necessarily worth accommodating but it certainly is worth playing when you can afford to. Would purchase.

Peon's Perspective for Penny-Pinching Singleplayer
    I don't know about anyone else buy I tend to jam a ton of Impenetrable Nimbuses and Savage Curses in my farming parties, neither of which work well with Adaptable. Not being able to dual wield Mordecai's Staff Of Magma is more than my poor heart can take. These are fairly minor gripes but I still don't think Korenchkin's Tactical Tunic is worth shelling out for when Impenetrable Nimbus is so much cheaper and reliable. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    None

Did Peon Buy It?
    Heck yes. Did I mention I that I'm a sucker for unique and powerful items?

Epics
    Advanced Footwork- Fine if you want an extra copy of Violent Spin on your elf but it's not that exciting and a bit of a waste of the racial skill slot.
    Badjeera's Black Relic- Wuuna's Vampiric Shroud/Flax's Thirsty Vial is better.
    Xipe's Maquah- Solid attacks but most support priests would rather focus of spells.

Notable Rares
    Cleansing Incense- Cheap source of Cleansing effects. Still too rich for your blood? Try Amber Charm.
    Staff Of Winter- One of the best cold staves.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  3. Ector

Ector Hydra

The Tunic allows your wizard to safely move close to an enemy horde and launch his Firestorms, which is dangerous with Nimbuses, if you don't have another Nimbus for the next turn. That requires a LOT of Nimbuses though, while I prefer to have a lot of Savage Curses, healing and drawing.
    I don't agree that Adaptable is bad with Savage Curse. You just have to choose whether to play the Curse on the char with Adaptable or not. If you're close to finish off the enemies, play the Curse. If the enemies are close to finish your wizard, don't play it :)
    Overall, the Adaptable makes wonders in SP. It may be enough to defeat the damned Storges, for instance. That's why my SP rating for the Tunic is even higher than MP rating.

4. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Adaptable is indeed much better in singleplayer. The enemies have much more focused attack types and they don't stop attacking you when you have the corresponding attachment. However, you must have Adaptable in hand in order to take advantage of it. I would much rather have a good chance of having immunity on any given turn with an Impenetrable Nimbus priest than a low chance of immunity for consecutive turns relying solely on the single copy of Adaptable. If you want to buy Korenchkin's Tactical Tunic to supplement a Nimbus strategy knock yourself out but it does not replace it.

Just because you can play around something doesn't stop it from sucking. You cannot fling Savage Curse around willy nilly if you want the damage prevention. If Adaptable prevents you from casting Savage Curse that's defeating the purpose of the card. In any case, I tried to downplay the interaction as a minor annoyance. The real issue is that the single copy of Adaptable isn't reliable enough. Powerful but not worth purchasing when you have the better alternative in Impenetrable Nimbus spamming.

5. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I couldn't afford this last night, but luckily I was checking the forums right before reset and this thread reminded me that I hadn't bought it yet. Ack! But I logged on in time and so I now have a tunic and a whole 46 coins in the bank. :)

Sir Veza likes this.
  6. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Peon's 300th Review Spectacular
    Absolem's Leather Shoes
    Advanced Crushing
    Amulet of Blades
    Aork's Vial of Memories
    Apprentice Stoutness
    Aranak's Chain Web
    Avakiria's Cup
    Axander's Robes
    Axe of the Titans
    Azan's Icy Bulwark
    Azgul's Orb
    Barnum's Burning Bauble
    Barnum's Staff
    Beater
    Bendolth's Pauldrons
    Berian's Locket
    Bewlin's Baffling Bauble
    Bleneth's Frenzy Charm
    Bleneth's Frenzy Medallion
    Bleneth's Skull
    Bloodchopper
    Bloody Stoutness
    Blue Destruction
    Bohemian Ear Spoon
    Bolg's Club of Evasion
    Boxton's Red Pendant
    Brightblood Glaive
    Brin's Spiked Rod
    Brin's Storm Locket
    Brutal Agility
    Bynser's Weighted Club
    Captain Cedric's Helm
    Chalchu's Hammer
    Chartwell's Amulet
    Chartwell's Ring
    Clovidian's Mail
    Clowen's Boots
    Crazy Sal's Halberd
    Cudgel of Wrath
    Czint's Buckler
    Darune's Dagger
    Demigod's Hammer
    Dianon's Staff
    Eeygonnic's Shield
    Ekkerg's Amulet
    Elemer's Diadem
    Elemer's Pine Staff
    Evasion
    Eye of Wicna
    Fabrian's Shield
    Ferocity
    Forval's Chain
    Garalem's Boots
    Gauixl's Sacred Maul
    General Gideon's Helm
    Glasod's Dark Eye
    Glasod's Dark Thighbone
    Gloomthirst
    God's Rage
    Golden Wings
    Gzellin's Boots
    Hand-Held Ram
    Hand of Melvelous
    Hand of Wicna
    Hawkwind's Moccasins
    Hawlic's Glowing Shirt
    Hawlic's Handy Axe
    Hawlic's Surging Shield
    Highbolt Jerkin
    Holy Hellyn's Breastplate
    Huetotl's Firebrand
    Igneous Scorchstaff
    Illusion
    Inara's Boots
    Jaguar Spirit Staff
    Jannivol's Shield
    Jornin's Figurine
    Juniper's Boots
    Juniper's Jumper
    Kazmir's Staff
    Kelharin's Clogs
    Kelvim's Buckler
    Kelvin's Chunk of Ice
    Kristoph's Skull
    Knife of St. Blenko

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  7. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Larkin's Orb
    Lenora's Prayer Beads
    Lewin's Boots
    Lt. Buckwell's Boots
    Luke's Iron Hand
    Mandaeus's Aegis
    Massive Harm
    Mathilda's Locket
    Mazzaram's Mighty Mattock
    Meztis Wyrmhide Robes
    Miligar's Dragon Tongue
    Mindshrinker
    Mokad's Reeking Skull
    Mokad's Unholy Tome
    Mordecai's Staff of Magma
    Mullik's Blisterstaff
    Nuncible's Boots
    Og's Boots of Peril
    Oquith's Choking Incense
    Oquith's Foul Incense
    Oskar's Pine Shield
    Overheated Staff
    Ozerian's Boots
    Ozone Plates
    Perfect Footwork
    Perfect Stoutness
    Perrio's Kinetic Robes
    Phantom Pain
    Porior's Nimble Mace
    Prillith's Robes of Pain
    Pwindle's Boots
    Quellic's Boots
    Quick Jon's Axe
    Quornic's Battleaxe
    Raging Battler
    Red Flame
    Relic of St. Darqar
    Ring of Bifurcated Healing
    Ring of Majestic Healing
    Robes of Avak Seth
    Robes of Foz
    Robes of White Wylla
    Rolf's Reliable Platemail
    Sander's Force Mirror
    Saramin's Shield
    Shield of Ultimate Dodging
    Shieldripper
    Skull of Savage Iljin
    Smoag's Bucket of Pitch
    Snitrick's Shield
    Spear of the Cozqui
    Spear of St. Qaith
    St. Alipp's Hammer
    St. Gwendolyn's Armor
    St. Hongjin's Soulstone
    St. Malaj's Cuirass
    St. Nyssa's Hammer
    St. Pascal's Torch
    St. Portia's Mail
    St. Portia's Maul
    St. Qaith's Armor
    St. Sebanna's Armor
    St. Tesrim's Corona
    St. Xarol's Mace
    St. Zaadia's Spacesuit
    Staff of a Million Embers
    Staff of Embers
    Staff of the Misanthrope
    Sundersong
    Superb Flexibility
    Superb Toughness
    Suvv's Boots of Escape
    Swiz's Circlet of Elements
    Taltec's Staff
    The Hackmaster
    The Irradiator
    The Lunginator
    Trained Tactics
    Troll's Ire
    Ulrin's Scuttling Socks
    Unholy Nimbus
    Vibrant Pain
    Vinorkin's Cuirass
    Vira's Shimmering Robes
    Wenham's Leather Cap
    White Flame
    Wild Trickery
    Wym's Fiery Bangle
    Xemu's Crown
    Xemu's Staff
    Yount's Chain
    Yvette's Buckler

178/305 Legendary items reviewed

fluky, Sir Veza, Wocket and 5 others like this.
  8. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

The Peonys

Best New Addition to the Game: SP Edition
    Co-Op
    Yes, we just had a new expansion but co-op breathes new life into quite frankly, a singleplayer experience that gets stale fast. Can you drag that newbie across the finish line in one piece? Will the pair of fresh eyes teach the grizzled veteran some new tricks? Is there something shiny in that extra large Loot Fairy chest? The only way to find out is to take that co-op plunge.

Best New Addition to the Game: MP Edition
    Steam
    Imagine my surprise when I tried to log in one day only to find out there were approximately one bajillion people ahead of me in a queue. Steam probably brought the greatest influx of new players to Card Hunter since the game's inception. More players should bring more variety to the metagame. Sure, there will be players looking only to copy the top builds but there will also be a much larger casual player base that is bound to mix things up. I can only hope that one day I too can fail so spectacularly from being too successful.

The Bell Tolls for "The"
    The Hackmaster
    The Hackmaster offers nothing but damage but it isn't even spread out well like Bejeweled Shortsword. Not being able to one shot elf wizards anymore was the straw that broke the camel's back. Don't be tempted by the only amethyst quality card available to players. Even emerald card tend to push the balance of items out of whack. Stick with good ole gold cards and you're pretty much golden.

Staff Recomendation
    Mullik's Blisterstaff
    To be fair, there weren't really any power staves in the last 100 reviews but Mullik's Blisterstaff is no pushover. It is a solid tokenless control staff that doubles as a great low level Firestorm staff. And if anyone's wondering, yes, I did buy Mullik's Blisterstaff. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've bought 2.

The One Ring to Fool Them All
    Ring Of Bifurcated Healing
    Not much to see here. Heals are weak and multi-target heals are the worst offenders. Twin Heals just happens to be near the bottom of that infamous list.

I've Got to Hand it to You
    Luke's Iron Hand
    While Luke's Iron Hand is pretty much the same as Ring Of Appropriation, Telekinesis is just so back breaking when it works. I would switch out all my Rings for Jedi hands in a heartbeat.

Biggest Gripe About the Forums
    The %$*&@ing Word Limit
    What is this, Twitter?

Peon's Desert Island Item 3
    I look for two things when I buy items. Raw power and coolness factor. Korenchkin's Tactical Tunic just so happens to fit both. Adaptable can only be found on 3 items and there's no other card quite like it? Shut up and take my money. I'm not sure I'll buy the warrior and priest versions but there sure isn't anything comparable armorwise for wizards.

As always I'm open to any suggestions to make my reviews better. Even I didn't think I'd stick it out for this long but I'll promise to keep reviewing if you promise to keep on reading.

9. Lucky Dice

Lucky Dice Thaumaturge

I just wanted to say that we don't need to promise you anything. You know we're reading!

I wanted to say "thank you" for helping all the new players that have problems deciding which item is good and which isn't. I probably saved thousands of gold just because I have this thread open by default. If you're willing to, please do keep making these!

10. MattW

MattW War Monkey

Frankly I think this isn't just a mandatory daily read, it's one of the (if not the) best examples of player community interaction enhancing and enriching a game experience, ever. You rock, Peon, flat out. Thanks for that. :)

11. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

Agreed! Time to update my bookmarks once again. Looking forward to the next couple of hundred! :)

peonprop likes this.
  12. @peonprop Link to White Flame is broken. :)

peonprop likes this.
  13. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Vinorkin's Cuirass
    Multiplayer
    Arrogant Armor has two uses. The obvious main use is to counter enemy attachments. With frost wizards seeing so little play you really only need to worry about burning wizards. Arrogant Armor is good against burning attacks but Reliable Mail does a similar job since burns do a maximum of 3 damage. The other reason to play Arrogant Armor is take advantage of items with bad traits. Cards like Vulnerable and Large Weapon will fall right off and you get to have all the perks of a smaller deck. It is dangerous to rely on Arrogant Armor this way though. You can have at most 2-3 of them in your deck and if you don't draw a copy before seeing the bad traits you will be in a world of hurt. The biggest downside of Arrogant Armor is the inability to stick beneficial traits and buffs. If you do run Arrogant Armor, be sure your warrior can function without them.

Singleplayer
    Arrogant Armor is a great tool for combating enemy attachments but you will have to settle for unbuffed base damage attacks. It is best used against encumber and halt effects where buffed attacks can't hit out of range mobs. However, if the attachments in question are damage based like Infected Bite it is often correct to race them with buffs like Mass Frenzy or Impenetrable Nimbus.

Peon's prescription for prodigious players- If you expect to regularly face encumber effects or want to build around items with bad traits, Arrogant Armor is exceptional. If your warrior needs buffs to operate on the other hand, try to find a more suitable solution. Would get Vinorkin's Cuirass only if you can't afford a major token and you want to avoid the encumber from Heavy Armor on Impervious Panoply.

Substitutes
    Impervious Panoply (E) (minortoken). Emperor's Plate (E) (majortoken)
    Plates Of Ixicha (E) (minortoken)- Only has one copy of Arrogant Armor but Reliable Mail combats burning cards and Quickness Aura negates most encumber cards.
    The Daily Deal

Did Peon Buy It?
    Nope. I rarely use Arrogant Armor. When I do, I go for Bern's Untouchable Mail for the full set.

Epics
    Ajan's Glowing Vial- Twin Heals is weak and Curse Of Fragility is basically a bad, short duration Frenzy buff in most builds.
    Hylithia's Wand- I prefer Xochu's Icy Circlet for my Cone Of Cold needs. Force Cannoning away an encumbered target is just too satisfying.
    Ixtli Amulet- Illusory Barrier is a great card and hard to come by. Though token intensive, Ixtli Amulet is the best cheap way to get it.

Notable Rares
    St. Xarol's Axe- Great for low level mob clearing. Why priests get better low level weapons

Lucky Dice likes this.
  14. richard edwards

richard edwards Mushroom Warrior

Anyone like Azgul's Orb? I am seriously considering buying it. I feel like it is a great SP and low rank MP item.

Sir Veza likes this.
  15. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

you should definitely buy if you are trying to grind sp.

16. richard edwards

richard edwards Mushroom Warrior

Thanks for the input. I mean, doesn't everyone have to grind SP? At some point, if you play frequently, you are going to grind?

17. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Not everyone plays SP. But those of us who do, use as many Azgul's Orbs as we own.

18. Xayrn

Xayrn Hydra

I bought two! Now if I could just find a few sets of Firehide Robes...

19. Besides loot fairy runs, I play MP almost exclusively. MP rewards, especially for leagues, make SP rewards look sad in comparison.

Xayrn likes this.
  20. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Some people seem averse to re-running the campaign, in whole or in part. Personal preferance, I guess. I like grinding.
    You can run levels 2-6 in about 30 minutes with a good build, and the gold haul is usually pretty nice. You can also focus on the level of items you're looking for, if you choose to do so.