The Daily Deal

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Fry_The_Guy, Aug 21, 2014.

1. BlackVoidDeath

BlackVoidDeath Guild Leader

2. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Meztis Wyrmhide Robes
    Peon's Prescription for Prodigious Multiplayers
    The most common attachments you'll see are burning attachment. Path Of Knives and frost attachments are distant runner ups. Way in the back of the pack are Bad Luck and Mind Worm. Is it worth giving up immunity to fire and electricity spells with Resistant Hide, which handles burning attachments, so you can reflect attachments 50% of the time? No way Jose. Both armors are terrible against melee parties but you give up a huge edge against a lot of wizards for very little gain with Mystical Wyrmhide. Meztis Wyrmhide Robes even charges you a major token. Would not purchase.

Peon's Perspective for Penny-Pinching Singleplayers
    There is one reason and one reason only you'd want a major token requiring attachment hoser. Secret of the Elder Mind. :eek: I soiled myself a little just thinking about it. The problem is that you are up against Mind Munch. You still have a 50% chance of getting hit with it and if that happens, say goodbye to your expensive new armor at the end of turn. Arrogant Armor is the real solution but only for non-wizards. For wizards, you basically just have to live with the attachments or run a bunch of Purges. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    Boltswap Robes (R), Drakehide Robes (U) (minortoken)

Apprentice Ferocity- A close second behind Raging Battler for best tokenless dwarf skill. Even wizards will want to take advantage of the trait cycling.
    Booming Ring- The only tokenless way to get Path Of Knives.
    Cintotl's Robes- Don't you just hate it when you draw a useless movement card on your wizard? Well let's shove some more on your robes just for kicks. Pass.

Notable Rares
    Black Token- Appeals to both Impenetrable Nimbus and Savage Curse aficionados. Both cards are very powerful and hard to come by.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  3. j3st3ri

j3st3ri Thaumaturge

Of Course it is, but it also costs a token to use.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
    peonprop likes this.
  4. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

Just a fun fact about Mystical Wyrmhide- It does get better rolls when you add Harnesses. Not that harnesses are a great addition to Mystical hides anyways...

I'm not going to argue about Drakehide, it's a pretty bad card for the quality, even if it is cool. Not too many items with the card though...

I actually have Meztis Wyrmhide Robes already, and I always use it for Elder Mind because, hey, how often can you reflect a Mental Flensing at someone? It's a lot of fun.

5. Pyrogoth

Pyrogoth Mushroom Warrior

thanks peonprop for the review.

Since I've never really tried, I was wondering if mystical whirmhide is worth it.

Thinking about it, I've never face it...

6. Foz

Foz Lizardman Priest

Because I don't pay enough attention to rarity while the items are dropping :-P

BlackVoidDeath likes this.
  7. Getorix

Getorix Orc Soldier

It's a shame. When you first see mystical wyrmhide you just want to love it because it seems cool. But then you realize that not only is it narrow, but it's horribly unreliable. You have to draw it, then you have to beat a 50% fail rate. You can run some narrow cards IF they are reliable and have fun with them. But if you run narrow cards you that can't count on you just wind up frustrated. Wyrmhide is the perfect example of a card that missed the mark in design. If it always reflected attachments like certain other armors triggers, then you could run it. Deterrence, the worry that your glob of flame *WILL* be reflected if your opponent has wyrmhide, would cause many a wizard hesitation. The narrowness of this usefulness limits its effectiveness in the wild but keeps it fun to use.

8. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

9. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Ozerian's Boots
    Shimmering Aura is narrow and much worse than Reliable Mail, which you can get 2 copies of on boots for the same token cost. The only upside Shimmering Aura has is that as a bronze quality card you can get them on tokenless boots. If you aren't going to take advantage of the token discount stick with good old Reliable Mail boots. Would not purchase.

There is a lot more Firestorming going on to take advantage of Shimmering Aura but spending a token for a slightly better movement card is still not a great idea. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    Vira's Shoes (E), Chadwick's Clogs (E) (minortoken), Kerrick's Steel Boots (E) (minortoken)

Hythalia's Wand- Good way to add a couple cold spells without devoting an entire staff to it.
    Lt. Morrison's Helmet- Not a bad helmet but most warriors choose the helmet slot to save on tokens.
    Staff Of Chask- Very good staff for fighting melee characters but dead blocks, a handicap, and low range spells makes it extra bad against wizards.

Notable Rares
    Enormous Mattock- If you've got a way to deal with the Large Weapons such as Arrogant Armor you wind up with 4 strong attacks and 2 harmless cycling traits.
    Focused Teleportation- Not many wizards will want it but it is a nice skill to have for things like Volcano builds.
    Perilous Ringmail- One of the best tokenless heavy armors.
    Staff Of Winter- Good staff to supplement a control strategy.

10. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Shieldripper
    Unnerving Strike is decent but it isn't all that it's cracked up to be. The average melee character has 3 blocks and the average wizard has none. Most of the time Unnerving Strike winds up being a Strong Bludgeon. When you do catch someone with a block there's a good chance it's a high percentage block like Parry which will still trigger 50% of the time. Unnerving Strike is even worse currently due to widespread usage of Aegis Of The Defender. Not only is everyone down a block for you to remove but you also can no longer assume that the character your opponent leads out with has a block in hand. While fine on lower costed weapons where you really only want the 8 damage with occasional card advantage, spending two major tokens for copies of a relatively low damage card that doesn't live up to expectations is overkill. Would not purchase.

You can use Shieldripper in modules starting at level 14. There are a couple of mobs with annoying blocks including those damn dirty monkeys. The majority of them have block melees. What are you trying to tell us Peon? Is little Timmy stuck in the well?
    USE YO WIZARDS
    Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    Maquah Of Ancient Blood (E) (minortoken), Riptide (E) (majortoken)(minortoken)
    The Daily Deal

Savage Plates- Good way to get quality buffs when you don't have the high end Mass Frenzy or Savage Curse divine items yet.
    Staff Of Freezing Fire- Has very good attacks but they just don't really fit together.
    Trogsbane- Decent option for beating up heavily armored low level mobs but it is too low damage for anything else.

Notable Rares
    Healthy Trickery- This is a particularly good skill for a vamp since the life gain can counteract Vulnerable and an active Talented Healer adds cantrip to Healing Dash.
    Staff Of Winter- Tired of Cautious Mobility packing elf warriors ruining your day? Tell them to chill out and turn all their step attacks into Shuffles.

Sir Veza, Merdis and Pawndawan like this.
  11. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

A couple of notes:
    Unnerving Strike is an Average damage attack, certainly not a "relatively low" damage attack, at least for MP and player characters.

Second, I always upgrade my priest to Savage Plates first when I do a campaign run. The token is better spent on the Savage rather than a Frenzy medallion/Tome/etc or saving up two tokens and upgrading a weapon to Fiery or Darkblood.

Also, don't forget Freezing Fire is good for handicap quests

Pawndawan likes this.
  12. Ector

Ector Hydra

And 48 damage total with some nice tech is respectable even for two yellow tokens. Plus, the damage can be boosted by Crusher. The review is totally biased. Shieldripper costs more than The Lunginator and offers less useful tech, but it's still possible to run two Lunginators + Shieldripper + Advanced Crushing. Even if you aren't planning the Crusher build, having an ultimate block dumper is wise just in case of some new superior blocks that can appear in the future. So I recommend buying it if you don't have it yet. I have two myself :)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  13. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

If you want to know whether or not Shieldripper is good, the next time you use a Bejeweled Shortsword and draw one of its attacks pretend it's an Unnerving Strike instead. Keep track of the damage difference and block rolls to approximate how the game would go with a Shieldripper. It gets a little more complicated than that since you usually want to lead off with Unnerving Strike and a bunch of other factors but you should end up with a rough idea of how good a Shieldripper would be. I'll admit I'm biased on Shieldripper but the bias comes from owning and playing with it extensively. My reviews are not meant to be rules to follow to the letter. Feel free to make your own opinions.

Foz and Sir Veza like this.
  14. Accent

Accent Hydra

The fact that we seem to see this exchange just about every time Unnerving Strike comes up makes me want to run a Shieldripper/Focused Crushing build to see what I can get out of it.

I am getting a little tired of what I'm running at the moment, and Bandreus' Lunginator thread is a heckuvan inspiration.

Sir Veza and Bandreus like this.
  15. Ector

Ector Hydra

Bandreus likes this.
  16. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

let's call that an unorganized collaborative effort ;)

Sir Veza, Getorix, Jarmo and 2 others like this.
  17. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Bandreus, your gracefulness and diplomacy are inspiring. I'm proud and honoured to share a hobby space with you and the others like you here.

Ector, Foz, Sir Veza and 7 others like this.
  18. Getorix

Getorix Orc Soldier

#1055 and #1056 were the most entertaining things that happened to me today.

Flaxative and Bandreus like this.
  19. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

Hello, Garalem's Boots. I will say, sometimes I use these instead of Mouse Boots, but it's rare I need to move more than 4 squares in a turn, and the discard is always a consideration.

I find it funny that anyone would consider running two Lunginator and a Shieldripper when you could replace the 'ripper with a Beater and have almost the exact same damage for a fraction of the cost, and about the same functionality in competitive MP. You can't hope to stand next to an enemy and hit them with an Unnerving Strike every turn.

20. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Garalem's Boots
    Multiplayer-3
    Flanking Move is a very powerful card. It allows wizards to reposition themselves and hit an enemy without giving up priority. It is useful for getting a surprise hit on things behind cover. Warriors that rely on stab or step attacks can also circumvent the adjacent to enemy drawback. At the very least you can use it to regain priority at the end of a turn. Being tokenless with three great cards is a big plus. However, there are multiple boots with double Flanking Move and while this is one of the better ones they do not say Team Run on them. These are best on ranged characters that are out of tokens.

Singleplayer-4
    When your enemies come to you and don't seek cover Flanking Move loses a lot of utility. It will primarily be used to gain priority at the end of turns. I will generally look for cycling traits or armor on my boots but regaining priority can be crucial if you rely on terrain barriers like Flash Flood or buff effects like Impenetrable Nimbus that you want active at the start of the next turn. Cantripping moves are essential for some 1 HP quests.

Overall power level- Meh. Not what you want to be spending gold on if you're short on funds.

Substitutes: Mouse Boots (E)
    The Daily Deal

St. Bethan's Charm- Mass Frenzy and 2 good heals is a little less powerful than a full on buffing item but still pretty good. Just make sure you use Help The Weak correctly. It will go directly to the lowest hp character, even a full health one.
    Staff Of Chask- Great against melee, awful against wizards.
    Weighty Wand- While none of the cards are unplayable, I'm not a huge fan of Dissolve Armor. One Officer's Harness will ruin your day.

Notable Rares
    Coruscating Blade- You usually need a major token to get 2 draw 3 spells on a weapon and Purge is massively underplayed for how useful it is.
    Displacing Staff- The cheapest way to get Punishing Bolts for quests. Staff Of Chask is better if you can afford it.
    Healthy Trickery- One of the better options for an elf vamp.