The Daily Deal

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Fry_The_Guy, Aug 21, 2014.

1. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Bewlin's Baffling Bauble
    Peon's Prescription for Prodigious Multiplayers
    Whether or not you should buy Bewlin's Baffling Bauble really depends on what you want out of it. If what you're looking for is a way to get away from an overly friendly warrior Short Perplexing Ray will get the job done but items like Ring Of Appropriation do the job better for a lower token cost and have added utility in moving around your own troops. On the other hand, if you're looking for a way to neuter an unsuspecting warrior so that the rest of the team can go in for an easy kill, a little hand disruption will do the job nicely. In a pinch, you can target your own party to get a Shuffle out of it but that is really stretching it. Unless you've got a mixed class party that can take advantage of Short Perplexing Ray, I would pass on it.

Peon's Perspective for Penny-Pinching Singleplayers
    Short Perplexing Ray has no place in singleplayer. The AI is dumb enough that you can usually avoid getting attacked just fine from movement alone. When you do get trapped or surrounded, a Telekinesis will most likely help you out more than a random discard. Hand sizes also tend to be larger so that random card is often negligible. Tack on the major token cost and you've got an item that is limited to higher level modules. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    Farzil's Perplexing Horn (E) (majortoken)

Cohr's Black Scepter- Whirlwind is just as likely to screw you over as your opponents.
    Giant's Battleaxe- No, just no.
    Untrained Footwork- Three really unexciting cards.

Notable Rares
    Smoke Pin- Smoke Bomb does double duty in blocking line of sight and clearing out large swaths of damaging/difficult terrain. You really only want it for a wizard heavy metagame but when it works it really really works.

Sir Veza likes this.
  2. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Bewlin's Baffling Bauble is a prime example of an item nerfed from awesome to unwanted.
    Too bad there wasn't a better middle ground.

BlackVoidDeath and Getorix like this.
  3. Drakkan

Drakkan Ogre

Maybe "Discard 1. Move 2" ?

4. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I use it pretty often in multiplayer and it's still quite good at what it does. Not super great in singleplayer I guess.

5. PDXTai

PDXTai Ogre

What if you could pick the card to discard? Either pick a shown card or go fish with a covered card. Would give some synergy with elven mages.

6. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Not a horrible idea for a future card, but would require a lot of new UI work, hence future. :)

7. Getorix

Getorix Orc Soldier

Card Hunter offers a difficult landscape for balancing things because all of it's granularity is very coarse. The difference between a 1 and a 2 in everything from cards in hand, to movement, to damage is all a pretty big deal.

8. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Staff Of Embers
    Ember Burst is one of the most sought after spells for a burn wizard. It doesn't require line of sight since you only need to be able to see the center square and hits multiple things. There are 3 staves that you should consider for the Ember Burst job. Staff of Embers, Barnum's Staff, and Staff Of A Million Embers. Staff of a Million Embers is obviously the best option if you can afford the extra major token. Barnum's Staff has two less copies of Ember Burst but replaces them with two strong, albeit functionally different, burning cards. Staff of Embers has only one less copy but also has a nearly unplayable Burning Fingers. Pick the two qualities you like best out of the following and you'll know which staff you want: lower token cost, consistent, no weak cards.

All that junk I said up there is still true but keep in mind that token costs heavily restrict the number of modules you'll be able to use items in. So much so that I would downright pass on Staff of a Million Embers for singleplayer. In fact, I would favor Staff of Embers over Barnum's Staff too because single target spells are way less effective when you're outnumbered. I wouldn't personally use Ember Burst over Firestorm but there are a few situations where it is superior. Ember Burst is better than Firestorm in block heavy modules where you can wind up taking way too much self damage or if you're afraid of the self damage in general. If that's the case you have my blessing to purchase Staff of Embers...you big baby.

Substitutes
    None
    The Daily Deal

Bloodfoot Robes- Path Of Knives is easy to get and something you don't want too much of. It also doesn't combo with Arcane Aura.
    Perfect Insight- Pathfinding is really cool but not when you combine it with move cards you'd rather not draw.
    The Soulstone- Decent way to get Flash Flood.

Notable Rares
    Mantle Of Instinct- Expensive to equip but this is about as good as wizards get in terms of armor.

9. Getorix

Getorix Orc Soldier

I was sad in that I have 5 or 6 SoE already...
    Would love another Deadly Deadly staff or a Blue Destruction.

10. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Barnum's Staff
    If you didn't pick up Staff Of Embers, here's your chance to purchase its twin. Barnum's Staff trades one copy of Ember Burst for access to two way more playable than Burning Fingers burning cards. I would not fault anyone for going one way or the other. "But Peon, which one would you pick?" They both have their merits, there's no right or wrong answer. "Quit copping out on us!" Ok fine. If you had asked me a few months ago I would have told you Barnum's Staff hands down. I hate drawing weak cards so I avoid putting them in decks whenever possible. However, what previous me didn't realize was how insanely powerful burst spells are. The biggest problem wizards have is getting line of sight on targets. Ember Burst is one of the few ways to shore up this weakness. You have more than enough powerful targeted spells from arcane items that you can afford to run a weak one to boost the number of burst spells. All too often, you'll find you have nothing to target and will need to discard something at end of turn anyways. Burning Fingers is at least a decent block checker/attachment pusher offer. Still, that is only my opinion. Barnum's Staff is very powerful and makes for a solid purchase. "You suck Peon." Duly noted.

If it doesn't have Firestorm or Volcano I'm not interested. You can burn things safely in small batches with Barnum's Staff if you want. Me, I will just be nuking everything.

Substitutes
    None

Aloysi's Cloak- There isn't a single playable item with Fumble. On the first turn it's a Trip if you don't draw additional move cards. Every subsequent turn it's likely to hit an important card you saved from the previous turn.
    Cleansing Diamond- Cleansing effects are too narrow for regular play. There are plenty of lower rarity items that do similar things though without as much card draw.
    Naradoc's Boots- Solid pair of boots though I always end up running tokenless Flanking Move boots or Sticky Slippers instead.

Notable Rares
    Advanced Ferocity- I use this a lot for singleplayer. Not a big fan of Dwarven Battle Cry or War Cry in multiplayer though. Too much potential for card disadvantage.
    Displacing Staff- Cheapest way to get Punishing Bolts for low level quests.
    Hexagon Shield- One of the best tokenless shields.
    Yolotli Armor- If you're going to spend a major token on heavy armor, this is one of the best ones to do it with.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
    trrst, Pawndawan, Bandreus and 2 others like this.
  11. Accent

Accent Hydra

Concur, but do you know how badly I want to talk myself into Assegai? Dammit.

12. j3st3ri

j3st3ri Thaumaturge

Quite a few items with handicaps has made me reconsider them after the change to Lateral Thinking.

13. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

Shorter version:

If you want to maximize burst spells -> Staff Of A Million Embers
    As above, but you need to put a valuable major token elsewhere -> Staff Of Embers
    For a focused Burning Wizard + some bursts -> Barnum's Staff or Red Flame

Further mumblings:

Ofc, keep in mind there are so many ways to skin a cat. This is especially true when it comes to Fire Wizards, as you can vary your build in order to hit a different balance between different attachments (Glob, Jet, Spit), bursts, Instant Burns.

Some people would argue 2x Red Flames or Red Flame + White Flame is better for an Instant Burn build.

14. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Unfortunately, Lateral Thinking doesn't help with Fumble. Unless, of course, Fumble discards Lateral Thinking. *cymbals*

15. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Spear Of The Cozqui
    Spear of the Cozqui is the best healing divine weapon at its token cost and it has 3 very solid attacks attached. Triple Heal is particularly useful for drawing out blocks, especially if you can catch a couple Defender's Blocks out of the deal. There's no doubt Spear of the Cozqui has great cards but do you want a healing priest? For most the answer is no. You cannot win the damage race with heals unless you are up against control wizards. It is better to use powerful buffs and draw spells to speed up your own damage clock,Impenetrable Nimbus to halt you opponent's clock, or vamp attacks to tack on damage while you "heal" yourself. I'm not saying that heals are unplayable but you need to think of them as backup rather than Plan A. I would hesitate to devote a priest's weapon slot to a healing weapon (with the exception of Healing Hand Mace of course but let's be honest, you are using it for the spicy 13 damage meatballs). Would not purchase.

Generally, heals get better in singleplayer where mobs have weaker attacks. They still won't do as much as buffs but your buffs don't mean a thing if you're dead. That said, Spear of the Cozqui requires a major token meaning mobs in the modules you can use it in start hitting harder than you can heal yourself. If you are having trouble in the upper levels I would encourage you to explore new strategies. Healing will get you through the lower levels but that's it. Try out different items and class configurations, move you characters around differently, and if all else fails ask for help in the Adventure Discussion and Strategy section. Whatever you do, don't pick up Spear of the Cozqui expecting that the heals that got you through the lower levels will continue to work forever. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    Gray Blade (R) (majortoken)(minortoken), Godtouched Spear (E) (majortoken)(majortoken), Healing Hand Mace (E) (majortoken)(majortoken)
    The Daily Deal

Frozen Shield- While I think encumbrance is really well positioned right now I don't think it's worth spending a major token on. Plus, encumbrance is better for keeping attackers from shambling towards you too quickly than wizards prey from shambling away.
    Staff Of Glowing Coals- Volcano, you've got my attention. Ember Burst, yes. Simple Bash, what the heck? Firestorm, oh Staff of Glowing Coals, you know how to get a Card Hunter all hot and bothered. Burning Fingers, no. Fire Spray, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! So close Staff of Glowing Coals, so close.
    Talisman Of Grief- I love items that cause grief...just not for me.

Notable Rares
    Focused Teleportation- A Volcano wizard's best friend. Just about every other wizard has stuff to buff with other traits though.
    St. Xarol's Axe- I really like this for low level modules.

Sir Veza, Pawndawan and Mr. Magnifico like this.
  16. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Relic Of St. Darqar
    One of the easiest legendary items to find and also one of the easiest to sell off in disgust. I wouldn't actually sell anything below a playset for epics or legendaries though. They are still hard to come by and cards do get buffed or replaced occasionally. For now, the Cause Fumble is narrow and the vamp attacks are too weak. I like to value vamp attacks at 2x their attack since that's what the resulting life swing will be. I wouldn't be looking to play Bludgeon so Sapping Spear is out of the question too, especially when you consider how good Wuuna's Vampiric Shroud is. Would not purchase.

Heck no.

Substitutes
    Flax's Thirsty Vial (E), Wuuna's Vampiric Shroud (E)

Black Walnut Staff- Second only to Wym's Lavastaff in terms of Firestorm farming staves.
    Pacifist Trickery- This goes great on a support priest that doesn't usually attack anyways. Also great for elf wizards that are heavy on non-attacks like Flash Flood or Telekinesis. Probably better on unicorns though, those are much more common.
    Pol's Prayer Beads- One of the few epics I don't currently own...that should tell you something.

Notable Rares
    Barbarian's Club- For those that want Devastating Blow without worrying about the Vulnerables on Club Of Devastation.
    Orbs Of Flame- Cheapest way to get Firestorm for blossoming pyromaniacs.

Sir Veza likes this.
  17. Accent

Accent Hydra

18. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

For low levels where you can pop off a couple Firestorms before succumbing to Combustible, yes. Higher up, the enemies have enough hp that you can't Firestorm willy-nilly with Staff of the Inferno.

19. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

I'm sorry, what? Barnum's, White Flame, and Staff of Embers along with Raging Battler but I haven't seen Blue Destruction since I bought one.... a month ago. I suppose maybe the Daily Deal feels pretty good lately though. I was glad to grab Crazy Hal's Salberd when I had the chance.

20. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

1 month is nothing compared to the 9 months I waited to get a Shielding Token from Randi.

Sir Veza, Bandreus and wavy like this.