The Daily Deal

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Fry_The_Guy, Aug 21, 2014.

1. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Ring Of Majestic Healing
    Peon's Prescription for Prodigious Multiplayers
    I've mentioned it before but small heals aren't very good, even when they heal the entire team. Damage is generally dealt in large chunks aimed at one character at a time. Single target heals already have a tough time keeping up. Using something like Team Heal is almost futile. The exception is when you're fighting against Firestorm but it's been a long time since Firestorm was a significant portion of the metagame. Would not purchase.

Peon's Perspective for Penny Pinching Singleplayers
    I still prefer Impenetrable Nimbus to heals even with Firestorm builds since it also turns one of your characters into a punching bag to absorb any attacks but you can make Team Heal work. However, the major token cost limits Ring of Majestic Healing to higher level modules and Hrillia's Healing Ring is nearly the same but much cheaper. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    Hrillia's Healing Ring (E) (majortoken)

Did Peon Buy It?
    Nope. I've found 2 and have plenty of Hrillia's Healing Rings.

Dual Optimum D-45- I don't expect to hit multiple targets with Scatter Laser or Spreading Laser often. If you just count them as 5 damage attacks, Dual Optimum D-45 becomes much less appealing.
    Nimbus Blade- Great option for getting a couple copies of Impenetrable Nimbus since you can only get 2 from a divine item anyways. Not worth getting over Duality Mace if you're just nimbus stacking in singleplayer.
    Pendant Of Artax- Glob Of Flame and Telekinesis don't belong on the same wizard. Little Zap doesn't belong on any wizard.

Notable Rares
    Crazed Hermit's Gizmo- Best Irradiated terrain divine weapon. Whether or not Radioactive Spray is a viable strategy remains to be seen but I think it has a lot of potential.

Pawndawan likes this.
  2. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Trained Tactics
    There are a couple of ways to get rid of Handicaps and they all have their strengths and weaknesses. There's overwriting the Handicaps with 3 unique new attachments but that is slow and you are back at square one as soon as another Handicap appears. There's Purge effects and new cards like Genetic Engineering which are fine as answers to enemy cards but are card disadvantage when you are running Handicaps yourself. They also require you to run a priest. There's Holy Presence which cycles and doesn't require priority but does require a priest and careful positioning. There's Arrogant Armor which doubles as decent armor but shuts down beneficial attachments as well. There's Warp Run but it also removes beneficial attachments. And then there's Shrug It Off and Lateral Thinking which are only found on dwarf and human skills respectively. Shrug it Off is pretty terrible since it doesn't replace itself but Lateral Thinking does. Even so, I don't like these one shot answers if you're relying on them to get rid of your own Handicaps. When you draw Lateral Thinking but aren't Handicapped, you are faced with the tough decision of having a dead card in hand until you do or cycling it and lowering your chances of being able to deal with future handicaps. When you are Handicapped, using Lateral Thinking might draw you into another one leaving you back where you started. I don't think Trained Tactics is bad, especially given the increased likelihood of running into Handicaps when playing against the new expansion cards, but I wouldn't rely on Lateral Thinking alone if you're building a Handicap heavy character. Wouldn't purchase unless you're looking to supplement other Handicap removers or want insurance against a Handicap heavy metagame.

Peon's Perspective for Penny-Pinching Singleplayers
    It should be noted that Handicaps are black cards so stuff like Mind Munch don't count. Lateral Thinking will only help you in the new expansion modules or if you're running Handicaps of your own. There is a very easy and cheap way to solve the self Handicap problem, don't run any. Moving on. When fighting mutants in the new modules, I find that they often wind up hitting themselves with Handicaps as well so you are essentially on an even playing field. If you're still worried about Handicaps I'd recommend running a lot of Purging Bursts since they're helpful for dealing with Adaptable and Mass Invisibility. Trained Tactics is fine but it isn't necessary and it forces you to play with puny humans. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    None

Did Peon Buy It?
    Nope. I think the racial skills slot is too full of unique and powerful cards to fritter away on trivial stuff like Lateral Thinking.

Bloodfoot Robes- Arcane Aura and Path Of Knives don't work together and there are better ways of getting both on separate items.
    Healing Hand Mace- I'm not a fan of the heals but you can't go wrong with smashing face with Mighty Bludgeon. Most priests carry more medium sized attacks so you can catch people looking for an easy kill off guard.
    Sturdy Mail- Wait for Sturdy Armor or True Mail.

Notable Rares
    Corpselight Charm- Heavy token requirement but powerful cards.
    Hexagon Shield- One of the best tokenless shields.
    Shielding Warp Boots- The only boots with Force Field. I'm pretty sure that alone is worth the price of admission but Warp Run isn't too shabby either.
    Wingtip Robes- If you want your wizard to Fly but don't want to spend the boots slot on Flight Aura, Wingtip Robes is the way to go.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
    Sir Veza and Pawndawan like this.
  3. BlackVoidDeath

BlackVoidDeath Guild Leader

Is the server back up?
    (its not for me)

4. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

5. BlackVoidDeath

*Starts shaking uncontrollably* Whe- Whe- WHEN IS THE SERVER GOING TO BE BACK UP!!! :p
    No but seriously the league is going to be over in 10 mins :(

6. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

It's up! #BoughtChestsFromTheSecretChestShop

BlackVoidDeath likes this.
  7. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

Just letting you know, you can check what's up in the DD even when the prod server is down, assuming the test server is up.

8. HunterMike

HunterMike Mushroom Warrior

Those boots are pretty awesome! Biggest purchase ever for me! *whew*

On a side note Peon, I just want to say "thank you" for helping us out every day with item selection. As a new player, it can be very overwhelming at times!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
    BlackVoidDeath and Sir Veza like this.
  9. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Demigod's Hammer
    Multiplayer
    Controlled Overswing is bad. A controversial statement, I know. If it's the last card in your hand there is no drawback but there are few times that you won't have armor, blocks, or magic spells that you'll want to save for later. Waiting a turn to get healed fromSoothing Darkness when you need it immediately is also bad. If you want high damage attacks and heals on your divine weapon there are many better options.

Singleplayer
    Um, you can pretend to be a demigod with it I guess.

Peon's prescription for prodigious players- Would not purchase this. If you really want to handicap yourself with Controlled Overswings, at least do it with some class using the stylish Sugar Rage.

Substitutes
    Glinting Eye Hammer (C) (majortoken)(majortoken), Healing Hand Mace (E) (majortoken)(majortoken)
    The Daily Deal

Did Peon Buy It?
    Nope. Already found 2. Does dual wielding Demigod's Hammer turn you into a full blown god?

Aegis Of Aversion- Decent shield for an attack light support priest but it isn't nearly as good as Aegis Of The Defender.
    Granwick's Ringmail- Chain Harness sucks and there are much better armors to buff over Thickened Mail.
    Dark Chain Shirt- Best tokenless divine armor for armor.

Notable Rares
    Gauntlets Of The Giant- The only Frenzy Aura heavy armor that doesn't self Encumber.
    Coruscating Blade- Decent attacks, great card draw, and an always handy Purge thrown in for good measure.

10. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Bynser's Weighted Club
    I love Barge as a card but as melee attack, it is among the most susceptible control cards to blocks. You would need a heavy commitment to attacks for drawing out blocks that most support priests can't accommodate. If you must run a preventative measure against melee attackers, I would be try Entangling Roots. As a projectile, it doesn't get blocked by the ever present Parry and it hoses step attacks like Nimble Strike that answer Barge. Alternatively, my preferred method of avoiding melee attacks is to not give the enemy the opportunity in the first place. Leave your priest in the back where they are much less likely to be attacked but can still throw out buffs. Bynser's Weighted Club is a unique item with good cards but just isn't as effective as you'd like. Would not purchase.

Peon's Perspective for Penny Pinching Singleplayers
    You do not need Barge on priests in singleplayer. If you want your priest to go untouched simply keep it in the back ranks. The AI will go after whichever character you send out front first. If your priest is the tank of the party, an Impenetrable Nimbus is much more reliable at dealing with multiple mobs than a single target control card. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    None

Did Peon Buy It?
    Nope. Had a ton of new items not just come out, I might have taken the plunge since I think Bynser's Weighted Club is a really cool item. However, I don't plan on making a Barge priest anytime soon so it is very low priority.

Axahot's Shield- Icicle Shield is tokenless and better.
    Spiked Platemail- Gauntlets Of The Giant has Frenzy Aura, which is far superior to Horned Plates.
    Staff Of Peril- You'd have to be really hurting for tokens to resort to Staff of Peril. My advice would be to move tokens back to staves. You get far more out of tokens from staves than you would from arcane items.

Notable Rares
    Demon Charm Of The 3rd Circle- A good option for a draw priest if you are looking to go all in on a critical turn. Alternatively, you can go the slower but pain free route with Inspiration or the ultra slow but reliable route with Accelerated Thought/Unholy Energy.
    Oak Roots- Entangling Roots does work against melee characters, step attack warriors in particular. It's pretty terrible for against wizards unless you're using it to nail them down for a subsequent beating but it's not easy to do with only 4 range.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  11. BlackVoidDeath

I just love the fact that @peonprop has this kind of "job" of posting his comments on different items every day :)

Christofff likes this.
  12. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

peonprop likes this.
  13. Deepweed

Deepweed Thaumaturge

Sour Staff is also a recommended rare. It's the only staff with Acid Jet worth the major token cost in multiplayer.

Sir Veza likes this.
  14. j3st3ri

j3st3ri Thaumaturge

I don't play multiplayer, but to me Whiterune Staff seems better. (at least when it comes to battlefield control)

15. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I use this all the time in low level SP.
    deadlyspark.png

I'm keeping my Peril and Vankenstein's and saving my tokens for Magma Scepter, though that's because I don't have Wym's Lavastaff yet.

Sir Veza and Melancthon like this.
  16. Deepweed

Deepweed Thaumaturge

Staffs are the source of majority of a wizard's damage. Whiterune Staff, while completely decent in terms of the quality of cards it gives, gives far too little damage. Whiterune may fit in a control wizard's build, but even control wizards tend to have some damage. Sour Staff is ideal in this sense - you're packing pure damage in 2 cards (Potent Spark packs some serious punch), pure utility in 2 cards (Acid Blast can slow the opponent's advance and remove armor), and a hybrid of both in 2 cards (Acid Jet is one of the most interesting wizard cards for me because it provides so much in a single card).

On the other hand, there isn't much consistency with the range of Whiterune Staff, and Chilling Rime is often a poor card (one square encumber rarely makes much of a difference). It does not pack damage, and for Acid Jet to actually remove armor you have to wait until the opponent has no more moves. Gusts Of War is nice, but I'd rather spend major tokens on damage, team mobility, or protection. Wlakwa's Boots gives you two multi-moves for a single major token. Additionally, Ring Of Appropriation, arguably the best arcane item for control wizards, costs only a minor token. This damage argument is also why it's common for control wizards to pack Punishing Bolt (which is range 4 like Telekinesis, Gusts Of War, Force Cone, and Force Bolt) from items like Staff Of Chask or Heartripper.

17. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

A lot of control wizards depend on staves for damage but they can just as easily rely on damaging terrains from arcane items. In fact, if you have a critical mass of control spells, the longer duration of terrains is worth more than a one shot attack. If given the choice between Sour Staff with all control spells and Whiterune Staff with a mix of control and terrain attachments I would pick the latter. I think Potent Spark is overrated and Acid Blast is plain awful.

18. j3st3ri

j3st3ri Thaumaturge

I also use quite often Staff Of Peril. In fact, I just used them against the War Monkeys:

upload_2015-7-24_9-28-1.png

This was the result: (okay, she had help)

upload_2015-7-24_9-28-42.png

Accent and Sir Veza like this.
  19. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

I like Peon's analyses (and thanks again for the work you put into it), but it's good to see input from people with different playstyles. The value of an item can vary greatly depending upon how you build and how you play.

20. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Snitrick's Shield
    Snitrick's Shield is a member of the highly exclusive tokenless all purpose blocking shield club. However, it is worse than Eeygonnic's Shield in my opinion. Encumber just isn't as useful as it use to be when it could still Halt. That said, Snitrick's Shield is still one of only two tokenless shields that blocks anything no questions asked and Encumber does have its moments. I wouldn't fault anyone for purchasing Snitrick's Shield but I would wait for Eeygonnic's Shield.

Peon's Perspective for Penny-Pinching Singleplayers
    Don't buy legendary shields. You can get by just fine with melee and magic/projectile only blocks. There are plenty of fantastic lower rarity shields for both. Save your gold for stuff that boosts your offense.Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    Big Ash Shield (E), Icicle Shield (E), Underdog's Shield (E)

Did Peon Buy It?
    Nope. I've got a full set of Eeygonnic's Shield. I don't even use them all that often but it's nice knowing I can go tokenless anytime I want to.

Nova Axe- This is probably one of the most exciting weapons to come out of the new expansion. Laser Thrust and Violent Spin are bonkers and warriors finally get access to Purge effects.
    Oliver's Boots- Quickness Aura puts Ruhing Aura to shame and Shimmering Aura just shames itself.
    Staff Of Soot- I don't think a wizard will ever need the max copies of Smoke Bomb but this is the staff of choice to do it with.

Notable Rares
    Focused Electromancy- A good option to have for both spark and arcane wizards.
    Rageblood Dagger- One of the best double minor token weapons. The step attacks are particularly good with Elven Maneuvers.
    Shuddering Relic- One of the best tokenless divine items for a buff priest.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
    Sir Veza likes this.