The Daily Deal

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Fry_The_Guy, Aug 21, 2014.

1. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

To be fair, my assessment of Staff Of Peril was geared towards multiplayer. I've been abusing Firestorm for so long that I'm pretty blind to anything else.

2. BlackVoidDeath

BlackVoidDeath Guild Leader

I am leaving for a day or two, gonna be sleeping in a tent surrounded by ticks, snakes, wild animals and in the middle of nowhere. I am leaving today at midday and coming back either tomorrow morning or Sunday afternoon (dont know which one yet), in the last case I will miss 2 DD's and I REALLY hope I dont miss anything good :(

3. Drakkan

Drakkan Ogre

Sir Veza likes this.
  4. HunterMike

HunterMike Mushroom Warrior

That Sub-zero Staff looks like fun! Not a good item for the cost? First time I've been offered cold-based items. Are there wizard skills that go with it? Feel like this could help lock down those damn war monkeys...

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  5. j3st3ri

j3st3ri Thaumaturge

No. Info of every item can be found from HERE.

6. HunterMike

What exactly do you feel the wiki can tell me about sub-zero staff better than a forum post dedicated to these items with veteran player suggestions? In any case, the wiki is VERY slow for me, actually painful to use.

7. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Force Bolt and Maze really drop the value. Staff Of Winter is usually a better choice.
    Personally, I prefer Fireball (or Ember Burst) and Punishing Bolts for the damned dirty apes monkeys. And Wall of Fire. Tons of it.
    I'm sure other players have other (and quite possibly better) methods.

8. j3st3ri

j3st3ri Thaumaturge

You obviously don't know what items the game has to offer. That's why I suggested the wiki, where you can quite easily see what skills there are for wizards.

9. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

When I bring a smoke mage, he's stacked to the gills. Whether magician or musician, if it's your job to bring the smoke, don't show up without it.

Qui11 likes this.
  10. HunterMike

To be honest, again, due to the wiki speed for me, it's generally faster to get answers by asking them here, plus the extra insight from players has been extremely helpful. ;)

Sir Veza likes this.
  11. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Barnum's Staff
    Peon's Prescription for Prodigious Multiplayers
    If you didn't pick up Staff Of Embers, here's your chance to purchase its twin. Barnum's Staff trades one copy of Ember Burst for access to two way more playable than Burning Fingers burning cards. I would not fault anyone for going one way or the other. "But Peon, which one would you pick?" They both have their merits, there's no right or wrong answer. "Quit copping out on us!" Ok fine. If you had asked me a few months ago I would have told you Barnum's Staff hands down. I hate drawing weak cards so I avoid putting them in decks whenever possible. However, what previous me didn't realize was how insanely powerful burst spells are. The biggest problem wizards have is getting line of sight on targets. Ember Burst is one of the few ways to shore up this weakness. You have more than enough powerful targeted spells from arcane items that you can afford to run a weak one to boost the number of burst spells. All too often, you'll find you have nothing to target and will need to discard something at end of turn anyways. Burning Fingers is at least a decent block checker/attachment pusher offer. Still, that is only my opinion. Barnum's Staff is very powerful and makes for a solid purchase. "You suck Peon." Duly noted.

Peon's Perspective for Penny-Pinching Singleplayers
    If it doesn't have Firestorm or Volcano I'm not interested. You can burn things safely in small batches with Barnum's Staff if you want. Me, I will just be nuking everything.

Substitutes
    None
    The Daily Deal

Did Peon Buy It?
    Nope. Already have all the legendary Ember Burst staves and I don't plan on using more than one burning wizard at a time.

Aloysi's Cloak- Mystical Wyrmhide has a lot more stuff to reflect now but it still isn't reliable enough. At the very least I would avoid Aloysi's Cloak since that Mystical Wyrmhide is likely going to be the thing you Fumble away.
    Cybernetic Boots- Trip is one of the harshest handicaps out there though Warp Run does get you out of it. Only playable if you have a good number of ways to get rid of or play around Trip.
    Eixocl's Hammer- One of the best double minor token weapons.

Notable Rares
    Superb Evasion- Warriors are by far the most commonly played elven class with vamps being the runner up. That means the times you won't be able to use Elvish Scamper profitably you probably won't need it. That also means you shouldn't rely on Elvish Scamper as a getaway card but that's not how team movement cards are usually used anyways.

12. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

St. Zaadia's Spacesuit
    Cushioning Armor is the best new armor to come out of the EttSC expansion and will likely have a significant impact in the metagame. Playing a bunch of high damage or buffed attacks was good enough before but if Cushioning Armor becomes popular, and there would need to be a massive amount of armor removal floating around for it to not be, it'll be time to leave Bejeweled Shortswords at home and dust off those Double-Edged Swords. Armor is traditionally an afterthought so spending a major token on a slot that usually goes tokenless is also going to shake things up. However, this isn't as big of an issue for priests since they have fantastic minor token divine weapons so Cushioning Armor is right up their alley. That said, St. Zaadia's Spacesuit is by far the worst of the Cushioning Armor divine armors. Genetic Engineering is useless way too often. Healing Beacon is slow and nails you to a 3x3 square. If you want Cushioning Armor for your priest try to get one of the epics instead. Would not purchase.

The only card you really want is Cushioning Armor and there are two much cheaper and better options. Cushioning Armor isn't even all that great in singleplayer compared to Reliable Mail. You would need to get hit with an attack that does 8 or more to see any benefit and Cushioning Armor does nothing to protect you from your own Firestorms. It does a heck of a job against big bosses but those levels are few and far between. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    Stargod's Raiments (E) (majortoken), Zod's Vile Spaceplate (E) (majortoken)

Did Peon Buy It?
    Nope. I might pick up Zod's Vile Spaceplate if I happen across it but I'll probably just wait for one to drop since it's only epic.

Dancer's Dagger- If you want to build around Disorienting Block you may want to get Spear Of Dancing instead. It has nearly the same damage output and the lower token cost lets you play with more of the shiny new major token toys.
    Madman's Maul- So much worse than St. Olf's Fiery Pike.
    Noral's Cleansing Charm- Great if you want a Cleansing item but there are more budget friendly options.

Notable Rares
    Perilous Ringmail- One of the best tokenless heavy armors.
    Smoking Pistol- Volcano is so rare that you could put it next to two ham sandwiches, which Smoking Pistol essentially does, and it'd still be worth playing in singleplayer. I would hold out for something a little more refined if you exclusively play multiplayer. Maybe a mini quiche.

ParodyKnaveBob and Christofff like this.
  13. karadoc

karadoc Hydra

I haven't bought it yet, but probably will end up buying St. Zaadia's Spacesuit. I've got a hunch that Healing Beacon is going to turn out to be a bit more useful than people have realised. I don't think it'll be super-powerful, but since it isn't an easy card to get, and this is the best armour with the card - I'm thinking it might be worth buying.

Christofff likes this.
  14. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

I haven't played Healing Beacon myself so I like to compare new cards to known quantities. I don't know about anyone else but to me, Healing Beacon reeks of Soothing Darkness.

15. karadoc

karadoc Hydra

Nar, you're probably right. I guess the big competition for Healing Beacon is Bless - and although I can imagine Healing Beacon being really good in particular builds and situations, bless would still be good in those same situations - and be more broadly useful in general.

So maybe I won't buy the spacesuit after all. I already have Stargod's Raiments, which is pretty much the bless version of St. Zaadia's. And I have Infused Spacesuit if I want to mess around with Healing Beacon... so maybe I'll just save my Gold Thread Toupee for a different daily deal.

16. Ector

Ector Hydra

Bless is great primarily for the card advantage and for cleansing the enemy terrain, the healing is minimal there. Healing Beacon offers only healing, but if you're guarding a narrow passage it heals 15 HP total per turn! 30 damage total!!! Just think about it: Team Heal heals 9 damage, Help The Weak heals just 5 damage, and both cards are considered quite good. If your chars aren't dying right now, the Beacon will be just fantastic.
    I don't agree with Peonprop that St. Zaadia's Spacesuit is the worst divine armor with Cushioning Armor. Genetic Engineering is actually quite good, since you're almost guaranteed to get at least one useful card of three, and Healing Beacon is very good and very rare. Still, both the competing divine armors are Epic, so you should buy the Spacesuit only if you don't have Vak's Portable Infirmary. Having the Infirmary is the only reason of skipping the Spacesuit for me :)

17. karadoc

karadoc Hydra

I bought the spacesuit. I figured that there really aren't many legendaries left that I'm definitely going to want to use, so I might as well spend my gold on a legendary that I might use. (Besides, it's generally easier to replace the item Gold Thread Toupee and Troll Cigars than it is to find a new legendary item.)

Ector likes this.
  18. BlackVoidDeath

Any thought if I should buy this thing today, since I already have one from a chest?

19. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Azan's Icy Bulwark
    Icy Block suffers from a bad case of nerfitis. Requiring a major token is also a huge downside. Even though Aegis Of The Defender is widely regarded as the best shield, the major token holds it back from seeing universal play. Azan's Icy Bulwark provides a less impactful effect making it even less likely to see play. Encumber 2 is annoying to play against but it doesn't warrant a major token investment. Would not purchase.

My rule for major token shields is the same as the one for legendary shields. Don't even think about it. You are going to get a lot more mileage out of your major tokens from attacks. If you have tokens left over go for better armor. If that's also taken care of go with card drawing blocks like Parry which not only draws you more attacks but also only require a minor token. Encumbering one mob when there are 10 more waiting their turn for a whack at you is pretty miserable. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    Frozen Shield (E) (majortoken)

Did Peon Buy It?
    Nope. It doesn't make dwarfcicles anymore so I'm not interested.

Dorimer's Boots- Quick Run is the star of Dorimer's Boots. Diamond Moccasins does it better for cheaper, which is good news for the shoeless Dorimer.
    Gaudekki's Orb- The poor man's Azgul's Orb. Burning wizards require a ton of legendaries so using an epic substitute is just poor taste. Firestorm farmers don't want it either since it's not any better than the rare options.
    Vigun's Blessed Blade- Surestrike Blessing is a 2 for 1 in your opponent's favor. Sure, you get your best attack through but your opponent gets to block another day and if they don't have blocks or armor you spent an extra card for nothing.

Notable Rares
    None

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
    Sir Veza and BlackVoidDeath like this.
  20. BlackVoidDeath

Ah those were good times...

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.