The Daily Deal

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Fry_The_Guy, Aug 21, 2014.

1. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Cadefel's Savage Maul
    Peon's Prescription for Prodigious Multiplayers
    At first glance Cadefel's Savage Maul seems like a bad Darkblood Glaive and if you're only after Savage Curses you would be correct. It has one less copy of the signature card and you're stuck with a narrow Cleansing Burst. However, if there's one strategy where Cadefel's Savage Maul is top dog it's Volcano. You actively have a use for Cleansing Burst, Volcano isn't buffable so you don't need as many Savage Curses, and most importantly,Lunging Bash is awesome for getting characters off of or on to lava terrain. For the low low price of 4 hp, you can get 2 characters out of a hot spot in one swoop. Would get if you are trying to build a Volcano team. Darkblood Glaive is better for everything else.

Peon's Perspective for Penny-Pinching Singleplayers
    Volcano is a much better strategy in singleplayer but the very reason it is so effective is also the reason why Cadefel's Savage Maul is unnecessary. Since the AI does not play around your actions, you do not need cards like Cleansing Burst and Lunging Bash to run the "I used up all my revealed movements so I definitely don't have Volcano" bluff. All you need to do is use up extraneous cards and pass the turn and the AI will eventually run out of movement cards. This can be particularly difficult against ranged mobs since they have a habit of not moving unless you move closer but you can just ration your own movement cards to avoid damage. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    None
    The Daily Deal

Did Peon Buy It?
    Nope. I use the one I found but I'd never buy it over Darkblood Glaive.

Epics
    Cherry Shield- In a vacuum I would say it's a reasonable shield but Buckler Of Protection is way better.
    Penteth's Orb- An odd set of cards that doesn't lend itself to any particular strategy. Reflexive Teleport and Path Of Knives don't really contribute anything to Firestorm farming so not worth getting for that either.
    Underdog's Shield- Great tokenless all purpose block shield.

Notable Rares
    None

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  2. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

No time to get the review in before reset but I'll get a double in tomorrow. I bought Atomic Drop Console myself if it helps anyone. Yes for multiplayer, no for singleplayer.

3. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

4. ciopo

ciopo Orc Soldier

I got it to use together with the cursed radcannon, it's time for the priest-only burfst to rise !

Sir Veza and Flaxative like this.
  5. Rebel7284

Rebel7284 Ogre

Mind Worm is a lot more palatable when you need junk to discard to Savage Curse :)

I bought it, but not sure if I will use it.

6. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

May be I should have bought it.

7. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

8. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Atomic Drop Console
    While Radiation Bomb isn't as consistently good as Fireball, the fact that priests have a Burst 2 attack means that you can have your cake and buff it too. While obviously unique and powerful, the biggest problem with Atomic Drop Console is that Mind Worm trying to hide itself in the corner. There are those that will have you believe that getting your Radiation Bombs from Cursed Radcannon is better since it will not saddle you with a weak card and they are 100% correct if that's your goal. However, there is a second school of thought on deck building in which you play terrible cards if they allow you to get more copies of the cards you actually want. For instance, there is an age old debate over running Solid Rock or Perfect Toughness. Solid Rock has no weak cards but only gets you one copy of Toughness. Perfect Toughness has a crappy Rusty Armor but gives you an additional copy of Toughness for your troubles. Similarly, Atomic Drop Console gets you more Radiation Bombs per token than any other item. Which method of deckbuilding is correct? They both are. Whether you pick consistency or raw power, both will win you games. Would purchase if you want more copies of Radiation Bomb.

When it comes to speed farming getting the maximum copies of the card you want is the way to go. However, Radiation Bomb's damage output just doesn't measure up to the holy trinity of wizard spells; Flash Of Agony, Firestorm, and Volcano. Even Fireball consistently does more damage and when your only goal is to kill things as quickly as possible consistency is king. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    Glowing Gland (E) (majortoken)

Did Peon Buy It?
    Yup. I really really want to try out a Radiation Bomb priest and I'm not going to let a couple of Mind Worms get in my way.

Pawndawan, Sir Veza and Flaxative like this.
  9. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Juniper's Jumper
    So you've got all these spiffy Harnesses now but what are you going to buff? All the best armors are found on the heavy armor slot and that has conveniently been taken. You are stuck with stuff like Shimmering Aura(ewwww) or armors that at best turn into Reliable Mails (already found on helmets and boots). The two best armors available to buff are Officer's Harness and Spiked Mail, both of which give very tiny returns compared to things like Barbed Platemail. If you want to play around with Enchanted Harness and friends, get them on helmets and boots so you have access to the good stuff on heavy armors. Would not purchase.

Same deal as above except I would further add that you should avoid spending tokens on armor altogether. When you use tokens on armor, you are more than likely taking away tokens that should be going towards weapons instead. When you do have tokens to spare, just go for stuff with Reliable Mail like True Mail and skip all the fancy Harnesses. Would not Purchase.

Substitutes
    Catherine's Cardigan, Blake's Blazer, Peter Peter's Wife Beater
    The Daily Deal

Did Peon Buy It?
    Nope. Even if Juniper's Jumper was more Yolotli Armoresque, I've tried the harness stacking strategy before and it didn't go too well.

Epics
    Bloody Bracelet- Not bad but Sarigo's Rod has better synergy.
    Scintillating Robes- All that Shimmering Auras is not gold.
    Unbalanced Doloire- Decent tokenless weapon but a distant third behind The Strongarm and Blazing Shortsword.

Notable Rares
    Displacing Staff- Cheap source of Punishing Bolts for low level quests.
    Focused Electromancy- Not played too often due to the existence of Electroporter Novice but it's a nice skill to have access to for spark and arcane wizards.
    Powerpike- Has Bejeweled Shortsword finally met its match? No, but Powerpike is stabbier than most weapons and they're great stabs too.
    Smoke Pin- Best Smoke Bomb arcane item.

Sir Veza likes this.
  10. BlackVoidDeath

BlackVoidDeath Guild Leader

I remember this legendary being my 4th ever legendary :D Oh the memories

11. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

Really? I can remember the 1st legendary I dropped. Aside from Melvin's Hand I mean. But then, I don't even remember which one was the latest (and I dropped it only hours ago :oops:)

12. BlackVoidDeath

Melvin's Hand was my 2nd ever legendary, and I agree, I dont remember my last legendary and it was yesterday and i got a double legendary from 1 MP chest!
    Edit: I remembered 1 of them Dangerous Club

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
    Bandreus likes this.
  13. UiA

UiA Ogre

Bandreus likes this.
  14. BlackVoidDeath

How many Strongarms does a man really need?
    Answer: 2, but 9 in Card Hunter

FDrybob, timeracers, billiska and 2 others like this.
  15. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

The Strongarm
    You get two things from The Strongarm. Fantastic damage and, more importantly, tokens to spend elsewhere from something that should rightfully cost at least one or two minor tokens. With the introduction of new items from the EttSC expansion, we are experiencing a glut of good major token items the likes of which has never been seen. Finding good tokenless items is especially important for warriors because the power level of their weapons ramps up significantly as token costs increase. Being able to maintain a critical mass of high damage attacks while still being able to equip those newfangled armors is just too good to pass up. Highly recommend purchasing.

The Strongarm is the best weapon for low level modules but it doesn't make for a great purchase. Simply put, there are relatively few lower levels where warriors are the best class for farming. When you do need to do higher damage to fewer targets, Blazing Shortsword is a much more defensible purchase. It has very respectable damage for only a fifth of the cost. Funnily enough, both The Strongarm and Blazing Shortsword lose to the Piercing and Slashing Immunities of Only Bones and Tough Bark. Also, neither damage types are buffable with traits so even that isn't a consideration for choosing one over the other. Would not purchase.

Substitutes
    Blazing Shortsword (E), Unbalanced Doloire (E)

Did Peon Buy It?
    Yup. I had just about all the copies of all the pre-EttSC legendaries that I wanted for my multiplayer builds except for this darn weapon that eluded me for over a year. I was finally able to pick a pair up the last few months from Randimar's but I needed a third to perfect my Sprint, Team! human warriors build. Just in time to run into Cushioning Armors. Not a moment too soon Randi, not a moment too soon.

Epics
    Cobalt's Chalice- Anti-magic cards are far too narrow to see regular play. You need far too many things to go your way to get the two for one out of Counterspell.
    Runcible's Bracelet- Ditto.
    Untrained Tactics- No, just no.

Notable Rares
    Mark 2 Broadsword- Maybe me wanting one of these new weapons to unseat Bejeweled Shortsword is clouding my judgement but this one is at the very least interesting. Five out of six attacks that I wouldn't be ashamed to run is not too shabby. Not going to name any names. *COUGH* Flaring Laser *COUGH* *COUGH*
    Shuddering Relic- Speaking of good tokenless items, Shuddering Relic is arguably the best tokenless Mass Frenzy item.

16. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

Guess that makes 6 to go still for me :(

17. Now I'm a little curious how you'd spend your tokens if you're running three Strongarms per warrior. :p

18. Happenstance

Happenstance Thaumaturge

I sold my first excess legendaries today, Superb Flexibility and Tlaloc's Stormplate.

Had to go to Skarl's to remember what they were, though ;)

19. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

There is no way. And I think even two per warrior are too much. I have my third and I wont purchase any more.

Bandreus likes this.
  20. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

If you're running three Strongarms per warrior, you're probably in the campaign and have few or no tokens.
    Three Strongarms on one warrior is good for a 2 FS wiz/war no-swap low level farming build. Blazing Shortsword is not an acceptable substitute when you're standing in firestorms.