Ozyola's Oddments Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Pawndawan, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

This thread is for discussing Ozyola's Oddments: the event in general, any questions you may have for a specific month's contest, suggestions/ideas for future contests, collaboration offers and any items Ozyola has photoshopped as a result of the contest.

edit: Ozyola's Oddments #6: Community Choice is open for voting!

Contest history:
    1. Ozyola's Oddments #1 (overpowered (OP) items only) & community poll (direct link to the results)
    2. Ozyola's Oddments #2 (Clothes you could wear on a date) & community poll (direct link to the results)
    3. Ozyola's Oddments #3 (Skill item for a new race or class) & community poll & results and feedback thread
    4. Ozyola's Oddments #4 (Highlander (divine) weapon or staff) & community poll & results and feedback thread
    5. Ozyola's Oddments #5 (THE WORST Legendaries) & community poll & results and feedback thread
    6. Ozyola's Oddments #6 (Hybrid cards only) & community poll & results and feedback thread

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  2. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

Is this where I ask for feedback on my item?

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  3. Pawndawan

I guess so... although I won't be giving any feedback on items in the current contest. Also for this first theme (OP items), I think you just know if it's min-maxed to it's fullest.

Anyways, feel free discuss about submitted items, if you feel the need to. Though, if you're unsure about your item and/or want feedback before you submit, the Smithy might be a better place.

I would appreciate if people submitted items in their final form.

Sir Veza likes this.
  4. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

I honestly have no clue what min-maxed means. Not that interested in knowing, as well.

Thanks for the clarification!

5. seth arue

seth arue Thaumaturge

Minimum risk
    Maximum power
    Or at least, that's how I understand min-max as.

6. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

I just looked it up.
    Min-Maxing
    The practice of playing a role-playing game, wargame or video game with the intent of creating the "best" character by means of minimizing undesired or unimportant traits and maximizing desired ones. This is usually accomplished by improving one specific trait or ability by sacrificing ability in all other fields. This is easier to accomplish in games where attributes are generated from a certain number of points rather than in ones where they are randomly generated.
    From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_video_game_terms

Sir Veza and seth arue like this.
  7. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

That sounds gross.

Flaxative, Sir Veza and 40c_rudy like this.
  8. seth arue

seth arue Thaumaturge

Like packing on as many Fireball as you can.
    Example:
    Staff of Fireballs
    4x Fireball 1x Ember Burst 1x Combustible
    (I'd so abuse this thing. Lv 21.5 Legendary, btw)

9. seth arue

seth arue Thaumaturge

@FDrybob
    I know Ozyola doesn't normally have rules, but consider reading the intro post. I'm sure @Pawndawan put a lot of work in to it ;)
    (P.s. like your items, but figured I'd let you know they're invalid.)

10. FDrybob

FDrybob Goblin Champion

I know, just submitted these for fun.

11. seth arue

seth arue Thaumaturge

*cool, cool. You see the original Ozyola page? That's got the really ridiculous stuff ;)

FDrybob likes this.
  12. Pawndawan

Everyone is free to submit anything of course, but I would really appreciate if you'd limit yourselves to only one submission per thread. Thanks!

Sir Veza and FDrybob like this.
  13. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Tough, we're going to educate you whether you want us to or not. :p

In the context of Card Hunter items, it would be using harmless handicaps to lower the token cost of an item.

Examples:
    Fireball, Volcano, Flash Of Agony, Flash Of Agony, Arcane Curse, Arcane Curse (level 6 epic)
    Laser Thrust, Laser Thrust, Blind Rage, Blind Rage, Combustible, Combustible (level 7 Epic)
    Raging Battler, Novice Guidance, Runestone, Searing Pain

14. Killer74

Killer74 Hydra

I realise this isn't serious, but do you want the items to follow the vague rules of current items concerning the type of cards on an item (e.g the minimum number of cards which are attacks on a weapon is two)?

Also, some black traits are way better than Arcane Curse. :p

15. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

I think you shouldn't follow good design rules but do keep the amount of cards on the item the same(weapons get 6 cards, robes get 3 cards) but this contest is about impressing others with your ideas(likes are what you are trying to get) so do whatever it takes to do it(you could make troll items like this AA submission).

16. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

There are many amazing possibilities within the rules as written. :)
    I just went with what I think many would expect from me. I'd also love to have 6 of them.

FDrybob, ParodyKnaveBob and seth arue like this.
  17. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Darn, and I just thought of two different totally insane boot ideas. And I don't think they even violate the official design rules (yet).

18. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

Flaxative likes this.
  19. Pawndawan

Sorry for that, but @seth arue wanted some "satisfyingly frustrating restrictions" and I think limiting entries is one of the biggest and most important restriction. Forcing you to select only one of your loved ones and leaving the rest of them in the drawer is quite harsh.

Some of you might like to show how brilliant they are by submitting ten amazingly clever items, but I want to limit the amount of amazing. Mainly because I don't want to do your job of culling your item ideas.

Thanks for the good and tough question. I would like that the OP submissions would look like existing items in the game, but I'm afraid I don't have any definite rules / answers.

I try to select a winner that follows the vague rules that @Stexe has catalogued in Item Creation Design Discussion. But still, item design is not binary science.

Here are some vague examples about my opinions / interpretations about OO #1 rules:
    I'm not sure whether I should enforce my rules / opinions on the community poll items or just put the top 10 most liked submission as poll options. I'm more than happy to discuss about different interpretations / opinions about OO #1 rules, but only as long as every participating in that discussion is having fun, since that's the main goal of this contest / event.

Other than writing long posts about it, I can't really enforce my rules and I accept that. It's quite same thing with AA contest. Some only want to be funny / silly and/or get as many likes as possible, some want to test the rule boundaries and/or spark discussion, while others follow the rules to the dot and try to maximise their chances of winning at the risk of playing it too safe by submitting "boring" or underpowered item designs.

tl;dr: Yes, I want the items to follow the vague rules of current items, but I acknowledge the fact that there might be some amazing border cases, where I have to change my opinion. Follow the vague rules only if you like.

20. seth arue

seth arue Thaumaturge

(Very tempting for a "that's what she said" joke in there, but I'm refraining....)