Ozyola's Oddments #3 Results and Peer Feedback

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Pawndawan, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

New OO instalments have been requested, but I think we should try to wrap Ozyola's Oddments #3 (custom race or class skill) first. The elaborate review / feedback I provided for OO #1 & #2 proved to be too much for me and was the main reason the event died down 9(!) months ago.

Here's how it works for OO #3 Results and (Peer) Feedback:

You can post on this thread to give feedback about OO #3 submissions. Remember to be constructive and nice, Ozyola's Oddments is purely a fun social forum event.

I announce Ozyola's pick at the end of month (Tuesday January 31st, 23:00 UTC +/- 1 hours or so) with a short feedback. I plan to launch OO #4 at that time as well.

List of OO #3 submissions for feedback:
    Planeswalking by @Killer74
    Sneaky Git by @40c_rudy
    Call of Luna by @LieutenantCommanderData
    Patient Poisoner by @Hidden Jaguar
    Ace Attorney's Badge by @Maniafig
    Careless Offense by @Lucky Dice
    Chickening Out by @SceoMyntan
    Artemis' Blessing by @gulo gulo
    Junior Chipmunk Scout by @Inkfingers
    Amateur Buckaroo by @Mama Mia
    Battle Mode by @seth arue
    Hellish Baptizer by @think_panther
    Cursed Lineage by @Dragudo
    U Shall Not Pass by @Adunien
    Living Battery by @WexMajor
    Frog Metamorphosis by @Fanturluche
    Fascism by @degensquared (Community Choice Winner)
    Mob-Mentality by @Dieben
    Competative Sprinter by @BlackVoidDeath
    Guardian Angel by @hello world
    F-F-Fire! by @tghy71

2. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

Whoo, more OO contests! I really liked the ones so far, it's a good way to get the creative juices flowing without regard for silly details like 'game balance'.

Planeswalking by Killer74: It's very tightly themed, I like how all cards fit the Planeswalking theme. Some bonus points for using an unprinted card, I'm sure Ozyola approves. I only now got that Tesserat is probably meant to be a combination of ratpeople and tesseract! Only took me several months.

Sneaky Git by 40c_rudy: Some love for Rogues! Some wonder why if we'll ever play as this nebulous class, but I have a theory people have been playing with them all along but just so sneakily nobody has figured it out. All cards in the item follow the sneaky and tricky play a Rogue would use and I could actually see it be a real item.

Call of Luna by LieutenantCommanderData: It seems someone predicted CM forms! The Loner conveys the moon theme very well while the Frenzies do a good job conveying the werewolf theme. This item definitely benefits from hindsight as Lycanthropic Form makes this item all the funnier.

Patient Poisoner by Hidden Jaguar: Fun fact, alchemy was one of the four Priest builds in Loot and Legends! The poison attribute is really underused and alchemy is a natural fit for poison. Stink Bombs and Bad Medicines are sensible brews for alchemists to make and it makes sense someone who spends all day brewing potions would grow some resistance to poison, and it somewhat fulfills the Boost requirement of a skill item. Well-themed item!

Ace Attorney's Badge by Maniafig: I may have gotten a bit carried away here. :p I was inspired by the Ace Attorney series and the concept of rules lawyers in tabletop gaming. I had fun making it but I'll probably stick to less out there submissions for consequent OOs. I also didn't include a Boosting trait, whoops!

Careless Offense by Lucky Dice: Here's another item that benefits from hindsight! I'm sure Binwin would be glad to have a new Berserker Skill to use. It conveys the idea of a Berserker very well, dealing as much damage as possible without much regard for defense, allies or (mental) health.

Chickening Out by SceoMyntan: Another new race idea, so far we've mostly seen class ideas. The pun on chickening out is conveyed well through the cards and it being a Bird Skill, I'm sure Ozyola would give bonus points for being punny. There's no Boost trait but Cowardly does make sure there's at least a trait in there. Clever and well-themed item!

Artemis' Blessing by gulo gulo: Another idea for a new race, Dryads. It conveys the association with nature that Dryads and Artemis have very well, though it does lack a boosting or trait card. It's nice to know that since this item was made Reinforced Wood was implemented in the Dwarf Skill slot. :p

Junior Chipmunk Scout by Inkfingers: I wonder what items Squirrel Scouts use. The Scamper, Team! and Scouting run convey the Squirrel Scout idea well while the Wimpy covers the Junior part, nicely themed item.

Amateur Buckaroo by Mama Mia: Some EttSC flavour! I like to think it's based on Melvin's comment regarding Elvish Space Cowboys, which I am fully in support of. It's a bit of a shame CH has no dedicated lasso card, the closest I can think of is Laser Whip, but the cards used still suit the card name well.

Battle Mode by seth arue: This item makes one thing clear: You do not want to be subjected to a Warforged's fisting. The idea of Waforged is an interesting one and I'd be curious to see what their item items and intricacies would be. Nicely themed item!

Hellish Baptizer by think_panther: I've heard rumours Aloyzo strongly disapproves of putting laser malfunctions directly on items, so I'm sure Ozyola loves this item all the more for it. The idea of erupting lava pools, grasping arms coming from below and the meltdown convey the idea of a demonic entity well, and a baptism by lava. I'll take a regular human baptism over a demonic one any day. :p

Cursed Lineage by Dragudo: I'm glad I wasn't the only one that submitted user-made items. The item descriptions are very long and winding though, and perhaps too silly even by Ozyola's standards. :p

U Shall Not Pass by Adunien: Considering Medium's Garb, I could see Wizard Hat being a Silver quality card. I like the item's referential nature, and the cards themselves convey the scene it references well. Some love for unprinted cards is nice to see as well!

Living Battery by WexMajor: Heh, quite a different card from the actual item called Battery. The cards all convey the idea well of supplying power to one's allies, and the adapted to electricity makes sense for a creature powered by it. Bonus points for using unprinted cards, too!

Frog Metamorphosis by Fanturluche: Werefrogs huh? Perhaps that should have been the Wizard Form instead. :p The cards fit the item idea well, though I'd have probably put a Tongue Lash in the middle to convey movement between the second and third card and have three unique cards on there.

Fascism by degensquared: A very contemporary and topical item these days, it conveys the idea of this particular brand of politics very well. Bonus points for using the Good for Us/Bad for Them cards, those seem like they'd be fun to play around with. I'd love to see more ideas like these transformed into items.

Mob-Mentality by Dieben: And on the other side of the spectrum we have the rioter, likely incited by the aforementioned politician. The cards all convey the chaotic situation riots can devolve into, well-themed item!

Competative Sprinter by BlackVoidDeath: A rather unfortunate item to equip for a Marathon Runner, not only is there a Trip but Sprint was nerfed as well! This item reminds me of the Human and Elf Skills of old days, filled with movement cards and bad handicaps. Perhaps the name being a typo is also a reference to some of the game's items? :p A funny and well-themed item!

Guardian Angel by hello world: A bit of redundancy with the Flight Aura and Hover, I think Lifesaving Block and Wings of Faith would have fit better on this item thematically and visually.

F-F-Fire! by tghy71: Nice taste in music and video games. :cool:

3. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

Planeswalking: Fairly balanced, seems like a reasonable race though the race would be limited in potential.
    Sneaky Git: Luckily for you the skill slot is always powerful making the item decently balanced, but the idea of a rogues isn't too creative since it has already been discussed.
    Call of Luna: For foreseeing the form you did get your item to match the idea, but obviously I wouldn't want though cards on a skill slot though.
    Patient Poisoner: Those cards were not the most interesting or fun poison cards to pick, and I assume you weren't going for balance, I don't like it.
    Ace Attorney's Badge: Really fun cards. Making the class and card images really adds the cherry to top it off.
    Careless Offense: Fairly balanced, solid theme.
    Chickening Out: I didn't enjoy the flavor, and the balance wasn't good.
    Artemis' Blessing: They are on theme but not balanced.
    Junior Chipmunk Scout: The theme is good but those cards are so bad (mostly scamper team!) it reminds of those trash items with them
    Amateur Buckaroo: What? Ok I can see why some of the cards are there, but the item is so lackluster.
    Battle Mode: This feel like it fit in the already existing crusher series, maybe call it blind crushing.
    Hellish Baptizer: This paints an excellent picture.
    Cursed Lineage: Silly, the photo-shopped cards weren't done nicely so I don't like it.
    U Shall Not Pass: Looks like a reasonable wizard skill, and the reference was not enjoyed by me.
    Living Battery: Makes for a great battery, though underpowered
    Frog Metamorphosis: I don't like leap, I can see that it is part of a frog but without balance and only 2 different cards, I didn't find it fun.
    Fascism: All the cards fit in nicely.
    Mob-Mentality: This does capture the flavor of rioting mobs.
    Competative Sprinter: Trip? Well I don't think it is very competitive to trip.
    Guardian Angel: It does have a flavor but I do think flight aura would be better as a trait.
    F-F-Fire!: Didn't get the reference.

Maniafig likes this.
  4. Gingrich Yurr

Gingrich Yurr Thaumaturge

I don't have comments about every item, but I must say I really love that Sneaky Git has two cards that get better when you use it behind a target, which encourages clever positional play.

Maniafig and Pawndawan like this.
  5. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

Thanks for the thorough peer feedbacks! :) I don't have much to add, but I'd like to discuss about one thing.

I felt that some of the submissions tried to introduce the whole concept of the race / class through the skill item. That is, they tried to cram the whole 36 card deck into one 3-card skill item.

The OO #3 winners!

@degensquared's Fascism (level 17 Epic Policy Skill [for Politicians], (minortoken))
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

@SceoMyntan's Chickening Out (level 15 Epic Bird [Race] Skill, (minortoken))
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Also, special badge for @Maniafig for really positive peer feedback and over-the-top OO #3 submission:
    [​IMG]

6. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

I will wear this banner with utmost pride. :p

Congrats to @degensquared and @SceoMyntan for their winning submissions!

ParodyKnaveBob and Pawndawan like this.