Ozyola's Oddments #4 Results and Peer Feedback

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Pawndawan, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

You can post on this thread to give feedback about OO #4 submissions. Remember to be constructive and nice, Ozyola's Oddments is purely a fun social forum event.

I will announce Ozyola's pick on Sunday 26th Februrary. I plan to launch OO #5 (thanks for the catch, @Gingrich Yurr) around that time as well.

List of OO #4 submissions for feedback:
    Bald Dolt's Bold Boltstaff by @Maniafig
    Unstoppable light-sword by @Founder
    Entorhinal's Crutch by @Killer74
    Unhindered Blade by @seth arue
    Wind's Painful Repellent by @Super4011
    Antipode by @Paper Crit
    Shimmering Spetum by @Maloqi
    The One Sword by @Valadilene
    Fall-in-Line by @Rohndil
    Can't Touch This by @PULSEFIRE
    Eldar Dragon Hai'Linn 'R' by @tolkien
    Radatouille by @think_panther
    Hex Army Sword by @timeracers
    Sliverwood staff of the magus by @hello world
    Malfunction Mitigator by @SceoMyntan
    Pyromancer's Prize by @Frostguard
    Pain-Bow by @adajon
    Xander's Staff by @BlackVoidDeath
    Mosquisitor's Morningstar by @Kalin

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    Gingrich Yurr likes this.
  2. Gingrich Yurr

Gingrich Yurr Thaumaturge

Don't worry, it's already launched ;).

Anyway:

The card illustrations with people on them all happen to be bald, which lends itself to the amusing name. All the of the cards being Silver Quality is aesthetically pleasing too.

Solid theme, it can't be stopped by blocks, armor, or attachments that prevent or reduce damage, though there's a slight bent to the blocks side with 4 of the cards being anti-blocks.

Had to research the name, it's basically a part of the brain. I think Brain Burn could be changed to Counterspell since Brain Burn doesn't discard cards though it does fit the theme.

This has a tighter theme than Founder's, the attacks all can deal damage even when blocked only along with a Parry that shows it can stop attacks too and an Obvious Maneuver that says "Here's what I'm going to do but you can't stop me". Nice flavour.

Not much to say here, a wind and pushing away theme along with some step attacks, movement and wind, yeah.

Antipode
    by @Paper Crit
    Not too sure about this one, antipode means opposite but, hmm. I'm guessing Inspiring Presence can heal back the damage done from Impetuous Slash and the Impetuous Heal does the same for Extra Hack. Other than that, can't really tell what's going on here.

This is a tough one too. There's kind of a daylight cleansing theme, and the Reaching Swing looks shiny, Polearm Slash looks moderately shiny, Disorienting Block symbolises how the shimmering confuses you I guess.

I've got no idea, okay? I guess it has something to do with AoA Pulverising Hack. Though you can do that already with Final Sword and Snitrick's Last Stand. Heheh.

Fall-in-Line by @Rohndil
    Linear theme. Not much else to say.

Doesn't follow the rules. Has an incidental armor theme going on.

All about the penetrating. Though I'm not too sure why Laser Thrust since it doesn't fit with the theme.

This item is rad.

6 damage, not much else to say too.

Again, can't seem to figure this out. There's some sort of self damage theme going on, though I think that may be purely coincidental.

Fantastic design. Triple Heals and Healing Pulse heals back the damage from the 5 damage malfunctions, Push the Button isn't discarded by Drained Battery and Meltdown, Cleansing Presence. Love this.

OP burning wizard staff.

Pain-Bow by @adajon
    There's a rainbow. You are Combustible, use Firestorm with Firestarter attached, and experience pain. Looks nice.

Totally a staff. Pretty strong.

Very funny. I like it. And the picture is great too.

Rohndil, SceoMyntan, Maniafig and 2 others like this.
  3. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

Nice to see a lot of OO#4 submissions! I'd say the theme was a success, there's a lot of well-themed items!

I had a pretty hard time figuring out what to do for the challenge, I'm not used to Highlander items, though scouring the cards.csv file for items with bolt gave me inspiration. Finding that there's exactly 6 silver-quality bolt cards solidified the idea and from there it was just a matter of making a suitably silly name for the item. Quite happy with this one, though it's a shame the cards aren't all common and silver.

One of two items with a theme of getting through obstacles. It is a bit lopsided towards blocks, but I find the use of Sunder and Purging to demonstrate getting past armor and attachments clever. The Starling Strike would be the weak link in the design for me, being about block-removal without hard-to-block, but otherwise I prefer this item.

Always nice when an item expands your vocabulary. :p Nicely themed item with a good name, the Brain Burn doesn't entirely fit the card removal theme mechanically but it makes sense thematically.

I'm confused by the Parry and Obvious Maneuver on this card, Parry is more a hindering action than an unhindered action and Obvious Maneuver seems like a filler card to keep the item below the level treshold given it doesn't fit the Unhindered theme.

A nice trio of pairs themed around keeping a Wizard out of harm's way, with a nod to Legendary Hero Pain. I wouldn't mind if she lost those Flashes of Agony and gained these cards instead.

Antipode by @Paper Crit
    I can see there's a theme of gold/silver/bronze attacks and assists, but Extra Hack doesn't belong on a Divine Weapon while Impetuous Slash and Impetuous Heal are cards specifically made for Riptide and Blackhammer, they don't make sense on other items since they're not sentient.

I wasn't really sure what the theme here is.

I think this item was meant to combine one card of each card type, there's an attack, boost, move, block and handicap card. It double dips on boost and handicap though, and forgets to use either a Utility, Assist or Armor card. If it replaced Blind Frenzy with Howl, Push the Button or Polearm Slash it'd fit the theme better.

Fall-in-Line by @Rohndil
    It's a rather simple set of linear attacks, but it works well. There's apparently just 5 linear attacks itemized for players, but the Beam of Hate doesn't seem like it would be outside of the wizard repertoire and appears on Spirits anyway so it's okay. I'd have accepted Psychic Beam as well.

Breaks the rules and continued to break the rules after it was pointed out.

The cards all penetrate but they lack cohesion, Laser Thrust and Massive Jaws bring to mind totally different weapon types and they are from fundamentally different expansions, but the name doesn't do enough to tie them together.

Another nice trio of pairs, this time themed around radiation. It breaks the rule of Divine Weapons requiring melee attacks but makes up for it in style points and with a suitable name and rarity. Aesthetically pleasing and mechanically interesting set of cards.

666666. A clear theme and the name brings to my mind a sort of Swiss Army Knife which suits the variety of attack types, nicely made item.

Silverwood Staff Of The Magus's misspelled relative? The cards fit the magus theme but they are rather uninspiring and the name choice is unfortunate and isn't reflected in a presence of silver cards.

Triple Heals for Laser Spray, Healing Pulse for Battery Explosion, Push the Button for Drained Battery and Cleansing Presence for Meltdown. A cleverly and well-themed item, and I have a soft spot for EttSC cards.

An artfully arranged artifact and an astonishingly alliterative appellation. Applause!
    That is to say, it's a nice set of 6 different burning cards with a maximized level and a Scorching Rays that suitably convey the item's grandiose name and lift it above being just a set of six burning cards.

Pain-Bow by @adajon
    A good take on the 'cards of each type' theme which doubly serves as a rainbow theme, but the Firestarter and Fly feel like cheating since they're not staff cards.

Item flavour text was a contentious issue in early AAs due to the "no additional explanation allowed" rule and I don't think it was really necessary to convey the idea of the staff since the design stands on its own, but I suspect Oyzola revels in the rebelliousness and would love to make items with flavour text. It is a well-picked set of cards, all of which are itemized on Staves and joyfully breaks the rules of what a staff should be. The reference to Legendary Character Xander's curious use of magic despite being a warrior adds another layer to the joke which I didn't realize until I considered the name. Anyone for triple Elf Wizards with double Xander's Staves? :D

I'm pretty sure submitting an item image also breaks the "no additional explanation allowed" rule but I doubt Oyzola minds the reduced workload. :p It's a nice split of Vampiric cards and Inquisition cards, with a suitable and punny name. I like the potential synergy between Disorienting Block/Vengeance and Sneaky Bloodsuck.

Looking forward to OO#5!

Rohndil, tolkien, Killer74 and 4 others like this.
  4. seth arue

seth arue Thaumaturge

@Gingrich Yurr gets my idea for my submission. Thank you both for the feedback!

Gingrich Yurr likes this.
  5. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

Correct, the name was a reference to swiss army knives.

6. BlackVoidDeath

BlackVoidDeath Guild Leader

I am just going to do the 3 that I voted for.

Everything about this item is funny, not much I can add to that.

I like control, and this item was themed around it, it was made nicely and all the cards match the theme - although if it was up to me I would have replaced the two more slide cards. Maybe adding some ooze cards (melee and or range) could have slightly altered submission theme with slide back or even changing the whole item theme to ooze but that is just my thinking process and going off topic.

Fall-in-Line by @Rohndil
    Again fun item with a linear theme, I am guessing Rohndil thought of the idea but then came to a halt when he realised that there are only 5 linear attacks on player items so he had to improvize, adding a beam of hate to the end. There was also psychic beam to choose from but because beam of hate is accessible to players from spirit form and psychic is not, the choice was obvious.

Glad someone got the jokes and references :)

Rohndil, Maniafig and Pawndawan like this.
  7. SceoMyntan

SceoMyntan Fire Demon

I think @hello world's Sliverwood Staff of the Magus refers to the slicing knife attacks on the item, while also punning on Silverwood and offering blocks as is proper to the tradition of the Magus.

It's good to see people understood and liked my Malfunction Mitigator! In addition to my own, I voted for:

@Maniafig's Bald Dolt's Bold Boltstaff for its funny tongue-twister name, appropriate to the six silver bolts such as Silver Bolt he found, and

@Kalin's Mosquisitor's Morningstar for its fun theme juxtaposition: draining alongside the usually anti-vampiric Inquisition, all wrapped up in the amusing image of an Inquisitor Storge. While many of the other contenders simply found six cards that belong in the same category somehow, this item breaks that trend and goes for mechanical synergy instead.

8. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

Bald Dolt's Bold Boltstaff:
    All silver and bolt cards, good job at finding that set of cards.
    Unstoppable light-sword:
    While this does have a lot of counters to blocks and some to attachments and armors this isn't really that unstoppable and calling it a light-sword doesn't seem very reasonable if it only has 1 laser card.
    Entorhinal's Crutch:
    Good theme, but isn't balanced.
    Unhindered Blade:
    You did find all the when blocked cards you could fit on there, though your weapon is OP, I still voted for it.
    Wind's Painful Repellent:
    You did find nice sets of 2 of movement or control cards the item is going to be weak due to winds being overpriced.
    Antipode:
    The Impetuous cards are special, and fitting two of them on an item isn't a good idea without careful thought. I don't think the theme is well defined.
    Shimmering Spetum:
    I don't see the theme, I don't like the power level.
    The One Sword:
    You didn't include 6 different types of cards and the item is too weak so I don't like it.
    Fall-in-Line:
    You found all the linear cards and the item would be playable so it is pretty good.
    Can't Touch This:
    Invalid.
    Eldar Dragon Hai'Linn 'R':
    I can see you used monster only cards when you could've not used them, and since you are running monster only the dragon theme isn't well done.
    Radatouille:
    You clearly have a theme but it doesn't follow the item creation guidelines (you don't have any melee attack on that slot which are required).
    Hex Army Sword:
    Refer to Maniafig's review.
    Sliverwood staff of the magus:
    You do have two blocks but not much silver.
    Malfunction Mitigator:
    You have 2 laser cards and 4 mitigation cards with 1 for each type of malfunction you could encounter nice going.
    Pyromancer's Prize:
    Looks like a bunch of fire cards to me, looks balanced though.
    Pain-Bow:
    Also doesn't follow the item creation guidelines.
    Xander's Staff:
    Clearly a silly submission which I didn't enjoy.
    Mosquisitor's Morningstar:
    This has exactly 1 storge card, and I don't know why we have a loner, so the theme isn't well defined.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    Rohndil likes this.
  9. seth arue

seth arue Thaumaturge

Thank you! Figured Ozyola likes OP

10. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

I modified my post:
    You did find all the when blocked cards you could fit on there, though your weapon is OP, I still voted for it.

seth arue likes this.
  11. BlackVoidDeath

BlackVoidDeath Guild Leader

What are you talking about silly?
    I was absolutely serious about triple elf wizards with double Xander Staves!
    Edit: The guy under me has to learn when to take a joke :rolleyes:
    Especially in a contest which is for laughs and is not going to affect the real game at all.

12. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

Staves are suppose to include magical cards, yours doesn't so clearly the staff is silly even if you want triple 17 hp warrior-wizards.

13. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

Thank you pawndawan for the diversion as we all wait for the new content, items, pvp boards, mms, and contests.
    I've made several highlander items already in the smithy and thought I'd go for silly.
    When Pawn said 'highlander' I instantly thought of Magic the Gathering Commander format where one can only use one of each card. This game was originally called Elder Dragon Highlander after the elder dragons from the legends set used as commanders. Thus I wanted to play off that name. So massive jaws for the dragon. Laser thrust is the best penetrating card so I wanted to include it. To recognize the strange inclusion I changed Elder to 'Eldar.' Eldar are space elves from Warhammer. Who loves laser thrust more than an elf, a cautious mobility elf?
    So trying to combine the best penetrating cards, an homage to a dragon, and a rationale for including a laser thrust became...confusing.
    I enjoyed everyone's submissions.
    The item I would most hunt for would be Pyromancer's prize. Not surprising since it's level 21 and contains some hard to obtain cards.
    The item that has the funniest name is bald dolt's.
    The item with the best image is kalin's.
    I want a combination of the two unstoppable weapons: pulverizing hack, unstoppable chop, sundering strike, unnerving strike, purging strike, flaring laser.

Pawndawan and Maniafig like this.
  14. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I interpreted "highlander" as someone who has trouble distinguishing friends from foes, and therefore doesn't have allies any more. This was more obvious in some of my rejected entries, like the Staff of Indiscriminate Destruction.

Pawndawan likes this.
  15. Pawndawan

Thanks for the great submissions and nice feedback! :)

AFAIK Highlander ("There can only be one") originally comes from the movie released in 1986. From there it has been used in MtG and probably other games as well, like tolkien said above. Though I like Kalin's interpretation as well. :)

Most submissions succeeded in choosing and conveying a clear and interesting (and funny) theme. It was hard to pick a winner.

There was 19 submission in total, 8 staves (42.11 %), 6 weapons (31.58 %) and 5 divine weapons (26.32 %).

The OO #4 winners!

Community poll was a tie between two items:

@seth arue's Unhindered Blade (level 20 Epic Weapon, (majortoken)(majortoken))
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

This weapon could've been from the Highlander movie. The item image is quite generic looking sword, but it actually uses the unique The Goldleaf Blade as the base and borrows the colouring from Unstoppable Chop.

@Rohndil's Fall-in-Line (level 15 Epic Staff, (majortoken)(minortoken))
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Lines... not much else to say. I bet you know the reason behind those colours, now that I pointed it out.

I actually prefer Beam Of Hate over Psychic Beam, since the latter is projectile instead of magic. I also like the 1 gold, 2 silvers & 3 bronze progression.

@Killer74's Entorhinal's Crutch (level 9 Rare Staff, (minortoken)(minortoken))
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Replacing that Brain Burn with Counterspell is a fine idea, but I quite like that this is only a double minor staff.

I originally photoshopped the item art for Searing Brain, but didn't want to reinvent the wheel.

16. Pawndawan

Honorable mentions:

Xander's Staff
    by @BlackVoidDeath
    Surprising and clever submission that fits the highlander theme really well. I originally skipped this submission altogether, but thanks to the informed peer reviews, I finally realized the catch.

I like the punny name. There really isn't that many ways you can build divine radiation weapon with six unique cards, since Destructive Purge is the only player-card that didn't make the cut. Nevertheless, great execution. Grouping the cards in three pairs, is a nice touch.

At first, I also skipped this submission, so I have to thank the peer reviews for making me appreciate this submission. :)

This didn't get much love, but I quite like it. Sliver: a small, slender, often sharp piece, as of wood or glass, split, broken, or cut off, usually lengthwise or with the grain; splinter.

The submission manages to convey the feel of sharp staff that's awkward to use. Penetrating Lunge is quite ok, even though it hasn't been printed on staves. I think Dangerous Maneuver is more problematic mechanically. I would consider replacing it with Unstable Bolt or Vulnerable.

17. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

Thanks Pawn and everyone for fun content while we wait for you-know-who to leave his laboratory and come back to Cardhunter. ;)
    Congratulations to the winners!

Pawndawan likes this.
  18. seth arue

seth arue Thaumaturge

Thanks, Pawn! I've already added my shiny new blade to my signature! I appreciate your work in this silly contest.

Pawndawan likes this.
  19. Rohndil

Rohndil Hydra

Ah, who cares about winning AA when you can win OO?
    I was afk lately, cheers to everyone for the cool submissions, feedback and overall fun. MVP to @Pawndawan for organizing and photoshopping (love the colours thing).

As it was pointed out once I picked the linear theme the item was ready, as the only real choice was between Beam Of Hate and Psychic Beam. The staff basically made itself.

New signature coming soon.