FAQ and Glossary - Questions, Comments, Suggestions and Corrections

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Scarponi, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

This thread is specifically to respond to or comment on the Comprehensive Card Hunter FAQ and Glossary. Please feel free to offer your comments, suggestions or constructive feedback here. If identifying an error, typo, needed change or referring to an existing post in the FAQ and Glossary in any way, please quote or link to the post in question

If you're suggesting something be included in the FAQ and Glossary, please make sure you've looked for it there first, before suggesting it.

Thanks!

ParodyKnaveBob, Stexe and Sir Veza like this.
  2. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

(defeats on the first map don't count)

The chests you open use your renown in place of the adventure level.

If you want to use compass directions, North is the upper left corner of the screen (according to the board editor).

All player-owned characters are treated as level 18 in MP, regardless of their level in SP.

If you have extra skins unlocked for a race/class combo, the taverns will give you buttons to select which skin you want to use when recruiting that char.
    Changing a character's name or skin in SP will also change that char in MP (and vice versa) and in all saved parties using that character.

Some useful cheat codes are available to players on the test server.

I'd add Poison to the list. Players don't have it any more, but monsters still do.

Should we mention that you can't (currently) reconnect to co-op games?

but after "Beginning of round" effects,

Use "renown" instead.

I'd list the specific class and race types.

I believe this only changes the type dropdown to "All Items" and has no effect on the other filters/sorts.

This may include some squares that cannot be directly targetted by the caster.

We now have two more types of victory terrain.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  3. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Great stuff Kalin, I'll try to add what's missing over the next few days, a number of the things you note are already contained elsewhere in the Glossary.

Mauve Manticore AdventuresThe chests you open use your renown in place of the adventure level.
    See Loot Levels

Cardinal
    If you want to use compass directions, North is the upper left corner of the screen (according to the board editor).
    This has no easy way to express it, mainly because the foreshortening of the board makes cardinal directions make a diagonal path in relation to the computer screen and the diagonal directions a cardinal path. I avoid the board editor map directions because they are not intuitive to someone who hasn't used the editor, especially when "North" tends to be the top of the screen most of the time. I am open to other suggestions though.

Player-Owned Characters
    All player-owned characters are treated as level 18 in MP, regardless of their level in SP.
    Identified somewhere, probably in the MP section, and also in the tavern section. But maybe worth adding here too?

Introductory Level
    player level​
    Use "renown" instead.
    Clarified under "Level"

4. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Adventures
    (defeats on the first map don't count) Added

Character Names and SkinsIf you have extra skins unlocked for a race/class combo, the taverns will give you buttons to select which skin you want to use when recruiting that char.
    Changing a character's name or skin in SP will also change that char in MP (and vice versa) and in all saved parties using that character. Added

Damage TypeI'd add Poison to the list. Players don't have it any more, but monsters still do. Added

Disconnecting​
    Should we mention that you can't (currently) reconnect to co-op games? As co-op is changing so rapidly I think I'll leave this out.

Duration
    During the start of the round,​
    but after "Beginning of round" effects, Added

Introductory Level
    player level​
    Use "renown" instead. Cross-linked

Item Types​
    I'd list the specific class and race types. Done

Keep
    Reset button: Will return the inventory to its default display.​
    I believe this only changes the type dropdown to "All Items" and has no effect on the other filters/sorts. Fixed

Linear
    Linear attacks will affect every square in which the line of sight crosses from the caster’s square to the target square​
    This may include some squares that cannot be directly targetted by the caster. Added

Terrain​
    We now have two more types of victory terrain. Added

5. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Cross linked certain keywords in a number of posts that I thought would be useful to be able to jump directly to. Also fixed a number of typos.

Sir Veza likes this.
  6. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

7. PDXTai

PDXTai Ogre

Might be worth noting that Sundering strike will "cut through" toughness. You mention that it's treated like armor, but I think some new players don't make the connection that it can be removed with boil armor or dissolve armor.

8. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Are you referring to this line?
    Is the statement unclear? (Honest question.) It seems pretty straightforward to me. I hesitate to list specific cards that will remove Toughness. It would rather clutter the post to list them all, and to leave some out could appear to exclude cards that do in fact discard toughness (not to mention leaving it a general statement makes it compatible with future expansions that may have more cards that interact with toughness).

9. PDXTai

PDXTai Ogre

I think the statement is very clear. My observation is that several players have asked me in game "why did my toughness not protect me from your sundering strike?". I'd just modify the sentence to be "Toughness is armor and will be discarded by any cards that cause armor discard such as Sundering Strike and Boil Armor."

10. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Well I don't know that that would reduce the frequency of how often you're asked the question, I think that's not an issue of people reading the post on toughness and not realizing what it means, as much as it's a fact that they've never read the post. :)

Since I wrote the FAQ I've tried as much as I felt appropriate to direct people to it for answers rather than just writing out answers in chat. It's not so much that I'm unwilling to help (after all I did spend all the time writing the FAQ) as much as wanting people to learn where the resources are for answering their own questions. No reason not to help people be self sufficient. I even refer to the FAQ regularly myself for details that I can't remember in my head.

11. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

The biggest disappointment when writing instructions and FAQs is that most people don't read them.
    Thanks again for your work, bro! It is appreciated by those who read it.

12. BlackVoidDeath

BlackVoidDeath Guild Leader

I link it to newbs in chat if they are stuck or just getting started :)

ParodyKnaveBob and Scarponi like this.
  13. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Thanks, it was something that was definitely needed. It's up to the community to get it known, and up to individual players to avail themselves of it. There's a lot there if people choose to look, even for veteran players (I just pointed @Stexe to it the other day to answer a question of his).

14. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

Yeah, it helps a lot -- it would be nice if it was easier to find for people though. Either a link in-game (like maybe in the menu that opens a tab for it) or a link on the main website (not just on the forums).

Also, you might want to mention "balance changes" or "game updates" or something and link to here: http://forums.cardhunter.com/threads/balance-change-compilation.6325/

EDIT: In before you actually have it there and I didn't see it again. :-P

15. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

That'd be up to @Flaxative or @Jon

16. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
    Scarponi and Sir Veza like this.
  17. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Thanks! By the time I was done writing the FAQ and Glossary, even though I reread it three times, I was completely gone mentally. I was hoping someone would do a proof read eventually. Nice catch on impassible/impassable by the way, I have a degree in theology so that explains my finger's tendency to type the former.

Updated with the corrections (and caught a few more "it's/its." :oops:

18. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

By the way, Scarponi, thanks for writing the FAQ! That must've been a job and a half! Appreciate it a lot! I've been using it as link fodder for player questions in world chat. It's an extremely valuable resource.

19. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

You're welcome, and it was! Very glad that it's of use! :D

20. BlackVoidDeath

BlackVoidDeath Guild Leader

Yea... i found this yesterday... you may know about this and may have copied some of it into your faq, but just a notice - if you see anything that is not in your faq you can add it in.