[MP][2 War/1 P] A New Take.. (1842)

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by Derek, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Derek

Derek Orc Soldier

EDIT: Since posting, I have continued to climb the ladder. I now have an ELO of 1761, and for the first time in my life, I am a top 10 CardHunter player in the global multiplayer rankings. I genuinely never would have believed such an accomplishment was possible. I am truly humbled by this moment. I want to graciously thank every single person who has taken the time to read and comment on the 4 builds I have posted here thus far. This community, though small, is mighty. Without you all, I wouldn't still be enjoying this game 5 years later. Thank you so much.

I'm shocked I'm writing this. I was tired of my 2 warrior 1 priest team hovering in the low 1600s, so I made some dramatic adjustments. They somehow propelled me into the 1700s, and so here I am with another multiplayer deck posting.

For references to this deck in the future, I am using it in the Cyberspace PVP Map rotation.

The changes were inspired by someone (can't recall who) in the high 1700s who squeaked out a win against me thanks to his Howling Pain and a well-timed Greater Heal. I was like "that's it, I'm overhauling."

As a disclaimer, although this seems fairly standard, and is still my trusty 2 warrior 1 priest setup, it is the most unique deck I've posted here thus far. This means I'm the least confident in its ability, and I do still believe there is room for improvement. I will also not be referencing my past teams in my analysis of this one, so I'll just link them here, here, and here if you want to check them out.

Without further delay:

[BLK] There Never
    Human Warrior

Screen Shot 2018-11-22 at 7.56.25 AM.png

Weapons:
    I never would have thought I'd be using 2 Howling Pain's on one warrior. Still not sold on it. A double-edge sword replacing one is something I want to test out, but don't want to tinker with success. The gist of this guy is to use all this movement to make sure I can phish out blocks, and close the gap on any opponent in order to offload my big Reaper's Scythe attacks. Often times my "overpursuit" leads to 2 bloodthirsty opponents next to me, where I can offload an Obliterating Chop on both of them. The excess of movement is also nice to stockpile so that whenever I turn Werewolf from all my Howls I can still reach my opponents to offload attacks.

All that is a very idealized scenario, where this warrior has big attacks and movement all in one turn. Often its one or the other. How do I cope with that? Well my other warrior also packs a few big punches, so the idea is to use whichever has movement to bait, and whichever has big 10+ damage to finish. This rotation, in the high elo, is all about quick kills. Expect All Out Attacks up here.

Shield:
    All these big hitters is the primary reason for the Black Cat Buckler (identical to Parrying Buckler). Its just the most standard and reliable "stop this melee" shield.

Helmet:
    Should be a second Chapeau Of The Afflicted Artist, but I only have one and its on the next warrior.

Skill:
    3 copies of an OP trait that let you deck cycle and shuffle around your teammates all for a minor token? Sign me up. But seriously, if I have too much movement on this guy, and my other warrior has all the big attacks, its nice that my movement here can double-dip and be used to move my other warrior. This often allows me to save a movement card, which makes running from me futile.

Everything else:
    Standard. Good. Buy them if you're missing them. But easy enough to substitute whatever you have without severely altering the build.

~

[TIE] Was A
    Human Warrior

Screen Shot 2018-11-22 at 7.56.42 AM.png

Weapons:
    In a melee-centric rotation, Snitrick's Last Stand shines. There is really no substitute for this bad boy. He's a niche pick, but really really good in the right scenario.
    I've always thought The Lunginator was better than people gave it credit for. It gets knocked because its bashes don't synergize with its range 1 attacks, but in this rotation my bashes are used to clear victory squares (when I don't want the opponent next to me) or to clear blocks (where the opponent remains in my grasp).
    Stolen torch is there for big boy damage. Again, the theme of this rotation is kill 'em quick.

Shield:
    Yvette's Buckler is really just there to provide some insurance against Wizards. This team is not built to address them, but they're rare enough at the high elo, that this shield is enough of a compromise.

Skill:
    Subtle Positioning here because I lacked a token. The extra parry is nice. If it wasn't obvious, this is my blocking warrior. I use "There Never"s movement to bait, then enter "Was A", then flee with "There Never". Or I bait with this guy, absorb what the enemy has to offer, then unsuspectingly close the gap with "There Never" and offload his attacks when he has his Reaper's Scythe big boy cards.

Everything Else:
    Again, pretty standard, albeit Epic and Legendary heavy. Pick up what you can. Reynoldo's Boots are my favorite minor token right now, and Chapeau of the Afflicted Artist is my go-to helm.

~

[REP] Bodhi Tree
    Human Priest

Screen Shot 2018-11-22 at 7.56.59 AM.png

Big changes here. I'm no longer a Bless priest. I found bouncing around to be too important, which means I wasn't capitalizing on my Bless terrain. And I switched to one Evensong. This ups my heal potential, my frenzy potential, arguably my Altruism proc potential, and leaves room for some new minor token stuff elsewhere. It also let's me hit a lot harder on occasion.

Cleansing Shroud is my alternate for a minor token armor. An armor that heals me and my opponents? A Greater Heal? An insurance card against Wizards and otherwise a Heal 2 Altruism proc for a third card? For a minor token? Too good.

Vollmond's Boots are an important change here. I still have some Vulnerables, but no longer have good armor and have half the Pressing Bashes as I used to. I need to be ready to flee at all times.

Crespin's Shroud catches a lot of people off guard. Its really great when I put my warrior's back to an opponent, they eyeball their big 13+ damage card, only to be rejected by a priest 3 squares away. The Purge card is just as important as the blocks though (its the reason I picked this item actually). Gotta have an ace in the hole against Entangling Roots, Impenetrable Nimbus, and Martyr's Blessing. Tome of the Martyr is just good. 3 Holy cards was important. Warrior draw potential is especially nice, because I'm often drawing movement when I have big attacks, and big attacks when I have movement.

~~~

And that's it! As always, I hope newer players are able to derive some themes from this, even if they can't copy item for item. And I hope the rest of you have fun frantically scribbling notes so you can counter me when we next meet.

I hope at least a few of my guild mates are reading as well. Feel free to steal ideas, or keep them in your memory bank as a snapshot of what to expect through the 1600s.

Thanks!
    Campaign3

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    Temaukel and Sir Veza like this.
  2. squirrat

squirrat Orc Soldier

Thanks for sharing. I spec a sometimes the 2 warrior 1 priest teams and it's good to see what the build looks like.

Is sacred shroud really worth a token? You can get the Greater Heal back with Advanced Piety (or stick with focused piety) and use Cleansing Hide Armor instead. With the spare token off the armor, you could use it on a human skill and pick up a sprint team, leadership, or even just use focused positioning for 3 cycle cards. Since you can get the Greater Heal back on the divine skill, you are spending a token just for the sacred shroud card. Maybe it's worth it to you I don't know.

tolkien likes this.
  3. Derek

Derek Orc Soldier

Great questions, thanks for opening up a discussion.

Advanced Piety is pretty much off the table for me because 2 Altruisms is not reliable. This priest sometimes can function as a draw machine (was better with 2 Sacrificial Axes but I digress). Instead of {3 Altruism, 1 Greater Heal, 1 Cleansing Ray, 1 Sacred Shroud} I would have {2 Altruism, 1 Greater Heal, 2 Cleansing Ray, 1 Reliable Hide}. The former is better to me, even without considering draw power, especially in a warrior focused meta.

Admittedly the above does not do the latter option justice, because indeed I would have an extra token to spend, but 2 traits and a parry from my racial skill right now is perfect. Sprint Team!, Leadership, or even a third trait, wouldn't protect my priest as much. She gets targeted down a lot and the parry is nice. Veteran Positioning, Apprentice Command, Trained Flexibility, and Superb Flexibility are the skills I would consider if I had a spare token. Rusty Healing Armor is the tokenless I'd switch to. Do any of those skills warrant a swap away from Cleansing Shroud to you?

4. squirrat

squirrat Orc Soldier

I played your build, won three in a row, and stopped (my rank 1220 went to 1290). I lost the priest but the warriors finished the battles easily. I used Cleansing Hide Armor instead and had {3 Vanguard, 2 Altruism, 1 Greater Heal, 2 Cleansing Ray, 1 Reliable Hide}.

I wonder what the build would be like without Vanguard. I think Vanguard is the weakest part of build, because so many tokens are spent on it. It cycles the cards nicely, but a couple times the warriors had dead draws where they had only move and armor cards. Maybe I will try Investigate on the priest, Block Soldier is interesting idea, Leadership is worth a try because of the extra armor/block cards I had.

It's nice build I beat some 1300's without even losing advantage.

5. Derek

Derek Orc Soldier

I'm super glad you had the item collection to copy! That's awesome! I agree that Vanguard can be weak at times. But its really strong when I draw all attacks and no movement. Sometimes, when I draw all movement, its also nice to make sure I can adequately escape with all party members and live to see another round (yes, sometimes I have to completely abandon the victory squares, running in fear). In this situation, Vanguard helps me avoid anyone trying to pursue.

Investigate on Priest could be cool. Helps keep her healthy. Feel free to post here what your priest looks like once you're happy with her. As for Block Soldier...cannot recommend. A 50% block is almost always worse than moving your closest ally away one square when you're playing defensively, and is objectively worse than moving one square in when playing offensively. Leadership really did cross my mind here. I would put Focused Dervish on the Howling Pain warrior if you go this route. Trading in Unreliable Blocks for new cards is potent, especially with this much movement.

Thanks for the dialogue! Have fun!

Sir Veza likes this.
  6. Derek

Derek Orc Soldier

Also, I've since moved into 2nd globally with this deck. I'm in the mid 1800s. All doubts about this build have been erased from my mind; this sucker is good.

7. tolkien

tolkien Thaumaturge

So...this is my first time netdecking. I used this build, minus the snarlcub hides, and beat someone 400 points of elo higher than me...with two misclicks.
    Thanks derek.

Sir Veza likes this.