[Farming] Decks

Discussion in 'Adventure Discussion and Strategy' started by Drakkan, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Drakkan

Drakkan Ogre

Guys,

as all farmers know, Farming is a long, timetaking and not that much rewarding task ;)
    We can help each other by sharing some experience.

So - what do you use for speed Farming post-nerf .. ?

There are few decks that I use and that showed reasonably fast.. they all started as Firestorm decks pre nerf and evolved to this:

lvl5/6 + some 7s
    - priest - not sure if Unholy Wellspring is better than Nimbus .. (this is the deck someone wrote on forum, not mine creation)

lvl17 - Yellow Dragon, Dungeon of the Swamp King, sometimes Black Oaken Heart, CS2 - I use other decks to level units

lvl15/16 - Secred of Gnome Lords, War Monkeys, Temple of Terror, rarely Black Forest
    for Riddle of Gnome Lords I use 2 war+pri

lvl18 - I dont farm those, but for Black Plume there is a deck that someone posted before, pre nerf (1-1-1) that works great

So after FS nerf, I tried some things but Wall of Fire + Volcano + some control showed most strength ..

What can you recommend to other players?
    What I particularly look is the fastest deck for lvl6 ..

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
    Pawndawan and Sir Veza like this.
  2. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

3. Questor

Questor Ogre

I used them too but after a while i switched to Bertha's Big Clogs and they are a lot better.

4. Drakkan

Drakkan Ogre

Well, I would have used them too, but I don't have any :)
    Vira's showed as decent replacement .. all I need is that they trigger once, twice on either wizard..

Well, it sounds interesting I will give it a try... I actually used that for lvl8-12 farming pre nerf (with 4 runestones).. but without runestone cyclings 1 resistant hide isn't seen near that often ..

What do you use for lvl5-7 farmings (especially those lvl7 trogs)? Do you use priest? Do you use buffing priest (Unholy Wellspring, Savage Curse) or Nimbus priest? Or you use 3rd wizard?
    I guess anything else (2war+pri) would be slower than wizards

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  5. Wildarm

Wildarm Ogre

I've moved over to using 3 wizards with 2x Sorcerery Staff for my tokenless farming team. Using a variety of tokenless arcane items with Short perplexing ray helps strip off armor and step out of range of most attackers. Still have a few firestorm items but it's like 1/4 of what I had before. Overall works pretty well. Tad bit slower on some maps but reliable for most missions. I add in a bit more armor removal for the trog missions.

Flaxative likes this.
  6. The question of Firestorm farming came up on another thread tonight, so I thought I'd take the liberty of replicating those posts here and adding a few thoughts. (N.B. The tips here are mainly for newer players, since old timers will probably have figured out a lot of them by now!)

All solid advice. Of course, when you're just getting started, Firestorm/Volcano items can be hard to come by, so I wanted to point out to new players that there are a couple popular tricks you can use (separately or together) to make the most of the ones you have:

1) Use one or more "true" low-level wizards (levels 1-5), even for higher-level adventures: since their decks are significantly smaller than those of fully-leveled wizards, you have a better chance of drawing those precious Firestorms. Level 4 is often considered the "sweet spot," with a staff, boots, robes, arcane skill, and two arcane items. Of course, your HP will be a bit lower, and you'll need to step up to level 5 or higher if you want to add Volcano, but that's why you've got three characters, right?

The main downside to this approach is that you'll generally need to refrain from finishing the last map of each adventure, or your wizards will start leveling up. This restriction can be inconvenient if you're looking for maximum loot—and if you're like me, sometimes you'll forget, and eventually you'll need to swap in some new level 1 characters and start fresh.

2) Take a buffing priest in place of one of your wizards! (I generally use a dwarf, but some prefer humans.) Savage Curse can turn one Firestorm into two, Mass Frenzy will now allow you to one- or two-shot a number of monsters immediately where you'd otherwise need to wait for delayed damage, Inspiring Presence will immediately draw you up to three attacks, and Impenetrable Nimbus and healing can help with maps where you need a little extra health. Most of these cards are available even on tokenless items, though the single best tokenless buffing item (Skull Of Savage Iljin) is a legendary.

Even now that I have plenty of Firestorm/Volcano items, I'm still a big fan of this approach. See Drakkan's level 5/6 build at the beginning of this thread for one example.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    Sir Veza, Pawndawan and Drakkan like this.
  7. Drakkan

Drakkan Ogre

There are some of my new farming decks:

- Does anyone have good lvl5-7 deck to share? I'd like to see some ..
    - this one is good, but it sometimes can have minor problems with Slub Gut lvl2 ..

- I dont really farm much above lvl 7 .. but those are skeletons I use ..
    If you have any examples of GREAT sp-farming decks, please share..

raffishtenant and Pawndawan like this.
  8. Here's my current tokenless team...nothing too fancy.

For levels 3-4, the wizards step up to Focused Pyromancy, and Dewclaw gets Bleneth's Frenzy Tome in place of the charm.

For levels 5-6, the wizards switch back to Electroporter but get a Wym's Lavastaff. They might also take a Burning Bangle in place of Stookster's (for any pesky baddies that manage to step off their originally designated lava), and Dewclaw might take a Shielding Token instead of one of the Skulls.

At level 7, Akon's Amulet replaces the Bangle/Stookster's, and Dewclaw gets Superb Ferocity.

Gotta run, might add higher levels later...

If there's one obvious criticism of these builds, it's that they're fairly conservative and therefore not quite as speedy as they could be. If living on the edge is your thing, Dewclaw in particular can be swapped around so that he's got more/bigger buffs per draw, generally at the cost of some drawbacks and/or less healing.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  9. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

D'OH! I totally forgot about this thread and started another one last night.
    Here are some other threads with farming builds that are still viable:
    Gravediggers by Kalin (Tvericus map 1 speed farming)
    Melvin's Agony by neoncat (Cockroaches map 1 speed farming)
    The Salt Shaker by Jarmo (Swamp King, maps 1 & 2 speed farming)

10. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Time for a necro an update to this thread.
    This is the build I've been using for Tvericus. The priest is definitely heavy on legendaries, but other Savage Curse items can be subbed in. Map 2 can be a bit hairy, but I haven't actually lost yet. The slowest part is waiting for the zombies to come into the open on map 4.
    It's the fastest build I've come up with for this adventure. If you have a faster one, please post it!

Pawndawan likes this.
  11. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

I still like the Level 1 Misanthropes more. Playing savage curses takes to many clicks for me, when I am not really thinking what I am doing. :p
    Did you try Raging Rock in your build? I am rather impressed with it, since all cards cycle and do some damage prevention in the progress.

The salt shakers seem like an intersting idea and I might try them.

12. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

I picked Advanced Ferocity for the 3x card draw and one cycler, but War Cry is a dead card here. I'll give Raging Rock a try.

I did a lot of farming with @Jarmo 's Salt Shaker. It was sweeter before the FS nerf, but it still works and is pretty easy for the newer players to build.

13. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

Ah, ok. It was build prenerf, what explains something. I dont think it is that fast anymore, since you have to get to the middle of the map now and then some of the slimes are moving to the corners, so you can reach them the first time in the second round. A little bit unfortunate, since given that I still have no speed farming time for the adventures past level 16.

14. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

Speedfarming can't be fun? Try this build on the first stage of Sanctum of the Cyber Tyrant. :D

Gimli
    Level 22 Dwarf Warrior

An improvement would be for sure three human warriors abusing their Superb Command. But only for that one map getting three warriors up to 22, I don't know. :p

And yes, I know, that it is not really a speed run, like 15 seconds for Against the Cockroaches, but it is the fastest I came up so far in the 2x levels and it makes fun to casualy deal blows with 20+ damage.

Sir Veza likes this.
  15. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

The discussion about non-burst wizards (Non-Burst Builds) was fruitfull for me, because it improved one of my high level farming crews. Or in other words:
    Lightnings in the Black Forest?!
    These are the wood cutters, which I improved. Before they used Staff Of The Misanthrope, than ManMelter, but since they already have way too many Disolve Armors, they use now the Laser Blunderbuss.

Lumberjack
    Level 23 Dwarf Wizard

The build is a very straight forward attempt to farm the first battle of Into the Black Forest. The very first action is walking towards the trees. Preferably seperate the wizard without armor from the other, so he cant be hit. Then the first action each turn is throwing a Disolve Armor and fire until your battery drained. This build is my best chance to have a Huetotl's Firebrand some day. Any thoughts for improvement? Or any other (faster) builds to farm one of the lvl 15 - 17 adventures?

Sir Veza likes this.
  16. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

I had to level up another dwarf wizard, but damn, that was worth it. The build is crazy fast. I have played the map for about an hour and never failed. Also I clean the map in about 40 - 55 seconds, depending on the draw. My first attemps were a little bit slower, because I had to figure out the optimal positioning. And I had to get used to Laser Spray. Usualy while speed farming I click through the traits character by character, but that does not work with the mandatory cards. The Mega Laser works like a charm and the mailfunctions are no problem. Having Pull The Triggers helps playing around Drained Battery, Meltdown is no problem, because you will win in the next round, Battery Explosion does even less damage and Laser Spray is a highly wanted advantage. Ten damage for free? Yes please.

I highly recommand to try the build.

Edit:
    I just realized that the build is also great for people who are not having much stuff yet. Here are some recommandations for replacements of the two epic items.

Kerrick's Steel Boot
    Epic Replacements: Bertha's Big Clocks, Vira's Shoes, Chadwick's Clocks
    Rare Replacements: Sticky Slippers, Goat Boots

Raging Rock
    Legendary Replacement: Raging Battler
    Rare Replacement: Advanced Ferocity
    Uncommon: Advanced Toughness
    Common: Untrained Stoutness

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
    Sir Veza and 40c_rudy like this.
  17. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

18. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

19. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

I think so. I'm not great at analyzing all the ramifications of card interactions, but I'm pretty sure having an extra Mighty Spark doesn't hurt.

20. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

After seeing Soularmadyl playing Reality Warper and playing myself a little bit because I had to try out my new Captain Cedric's Helmet, I came back to the above build and tried to farm the Cyber Tyrant. I tried various combination of Bludgenators, Hackmasters, BS, Sword of the Lion, Blocking Mace and Laserstick, I am not just yet sure, what the best build is. I think the protection of the Blocking Mace is nice and all, but damage is much more important. You will win on Turn 4 no matter what, but beeing able to finish the opponents before that brings a lot of time. I like the stun effect which the Laserstick provides, but the laser attacks kind of sucks. From time on time you run low on battery and playing the traits costs time. Allthough it is nice to have an additional damage type.

It should not be such a hard problem to be solved, to deal with the tokens provided on level 23 as much damage per card as possible. A small additional condition is, that the damage should be distributed among different damage type because of the Adaptable, which the opponents have. All out Attack will not count towards the normal damage, but add the damage per card afterwards. I will try to solve it and write done my thoughts while doing so. Please correct me, if you find false assumptions.
    Cards that cycle, dont count towards to the cards played. This includes Parrys, Toughness and so on.

Obvious items under this conditions are Blackcat Buckler (minortoken) and Solid Rock (majortoken), as they dont count towards the cards.

The next obvious one should be the armor. Spiked Tlahuiztli and Perilous Mail both provide a trait for tokenless, but the Barbed Mail on Tlahuiztli provides damage. Which can be more than 4 a turn in my experience.

For the boots I can see Goat Boots for no token or Sticky Slippers for a (minortoken). This will depend on the other items.

For martial skills, there are the All out Attack skills (minortoken) and Super Impaling (minortoken) as well as Advanced Crusher (minortoken) as attacking skills and the one with parry (minortoken) as complete trait item. Depending on the other items Advanced Crusher (majortoken)may be an option.

For helmets I see Wyvern Hide Helmet for no token as well as Tough Leather Cap and Angry Jacket's Helmet for (minortoken).

The real tricky part are the weopons. The Bludgeonator (majortoken)(minortoken) provides 51 crushing damage, which is nice with the crusher skills. The Hackmaster (majortoken)(majortoken) provides 56 Slashing damage, which is impressive. BS (majortoken)(majortoken) is as well 58 damage, with a nice mix of Crushing, Slashing and Piercing. Sword of the Lion (majortoken)(majortoken) provides a nice mix of Slashing and Piercing, but 'only' 54 damage. Laserstick (majortoken)(majortoken) has about 44 damage and AoA. Copperspear (majortoken)(majortoken) with 37 piercing damage, is the best I could find for that damage type. Not very impressive. But better than Militiaman's Pike.

Are there other weapons I should review?

I think a weapon mixed with piercing and crushing damage would be nice to be paired with BS. Is there any thing like this? Polished Plancon (majortoken)(majortoken) with 19 Crushing and 23 Piercing could be a candidate. An alternative is mixing Copperspear and Bludgenator, which I will do for my first solution

That way I have left (minortoken)(minortoken) for skill, shoes and helmet.

(majortoken)(majortoken) Bejeweled Shortsword with 11 crushing damage, 33 slashing damage and 14 piercing damage and 6 cards.
    (majortoken)(minortoken) The Bludgeonatorwith 51 crushing damage and 6 cards
    (majortoken)(majortoken) Copperspear with 37 piercing damage and 6 cards
    Wyvern Hide Helmet with 5 unholy damage and 2 cards
    (minortoken) Blackcat Buckler with 0 damage and 0 cards
    Spiked Tlahuiztli with 4 piercing damage and 2 cards.
    (minortoken)Sticky Slippers with 0 damage and 1 card.
    (majortoken)Solid Rock with 0 damage and 0 cards
    (minortoken) Skill with two traits and 1 card.

This is in total 62 crushing damage, 55 piercing damage, 33 slashing damage and 5 unholy damage making 155 damage on 24 cards and therefore are 6.45 damage on average. The Superb Impaling may seem better, but I am not to sure about that.
    Since you are drawing 5 cards till turn 2 this is on average 32.25 damage, not that much.
    (majortoken)(majortoken) Bejeweled Shortsword with 11 crushing damage, 33 slashing damage and 14 piercing damage and 6 cards.
    (majortoken)(minortoken) The Bludgeonatorwith 51 crushing damage and 6 cards
    (majortoken)(majortoken) The Hackmaster with 56 slashing damage and 6 cards
    (majortoken)Solid Rock with 0 damage and 0 cards

This is in total 62 crushing damage, 18 piercing damage, 89 slashing damage and 5 unholy damage making 174 damage on 24 cards and therefore are 7.25 damage on average. Here the AoA should defintly better. This has on average 36.25 damage on turn 2, which is nearly enough to even kill the troll.
    It is difficult to say which build is better, but both seem okay. The first has the problem of not enough damage. The second has a little bit to much slash damage. But on first sight there is not much, you can do about that.

(minortoken)Raging Rock with 0 damage and 0 cards
    33 crushing damage, 46 piercing damage, 99 slashing damage and 5 unholy damage making 183 damage on 24 cards and therefore are 7.66 damage on average. Here the AoA should defintly better. This has on average 38.33 damage on turn 2, which is nearly enough to even kill the troll. And this did not take the Blind Rage from Raging Rock into Account. AoA is not as nice as in the other build, but should still be better than an Impaling Stab.
    Can you provide any other (better) solution?

Edit:
    Somehow I forgot a major token. So the build below can play a Solid Rock and the builds above could try Advanced Crusher for max cycling value and some crushing synergies.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
    Sir Veza likes this.