[Deckbuilding Contest] Cardhuntria's Most Stylish #1

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by Flaxative, May 6, 2014.

1. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Intro

Some builds are good, and people know about them. There’s the hacky Roulette build, with Whirlwinds and obliterating attacks. There’s its big brother, Divide and Conquer, with nimble dwarf warriors adding consistency to those Whirlwinds. Scared Little Girl institutionalized 3DC—three dwarf wizards patiently playing permission with frost, wind, and lava. The environment perennially rewards Mass Frenzy priests with warrior buddies. Firestorm is build-around me card that gave rise to a couple well-worn strategies. These builds, we know.

What builds don’t we know?

And how totally cool are they?

[​IMG]

What’s going on here?

This is a deckbuilding competition, but the focus isn't build strength—the focus is style. The goal is not to make a top-10 party. The goal is not to have a high win rate. The goal is to make a sweet build, something off the beaten path, and to show us how it works. Entries will be voted on, and the winners will receive a chests as prizes.

[​IMG]

How to enter

Submit to me (@Flaxative) the following, via PM on this forum.

1) Your build’s name. Cool names are crucial.
    2) The characters, items, and cards used in your build.
    • Once your party is built, enter the Multiplayer Keep
    • Hit f1 to open the in-game console
    • Enter this command, exactly: "partyanddecksbbcode"
    • Hit the Enter key
    • Your party's items and cards are now stored in your clipboard—just paste them into your submission message.
    3) A link to a video (on YouTube, for instance) of you explaining your build and playing at least one game with it. I want to see it in action! You won’t be graded on your presentation, just have fun with the video. If you have never recorded a video before, feel free to ask around for help.

Entries are open NOW! Enter your build today.
    Entries close on May 17 at 0 UTC. That’s the same time of day that the shops and modules reset, and it’s roughly 10 days from the time of this post. Be sure to submit your build to me before then! Late entries will not be accepted.

[​IMG]

Voting

After entries close, I will create a new thread with all submissions and a poll. From that point, there will be a one-week voting period. During this time I will ask you to let your entries speak for themselves—if you post on the forums tooting your own horn, you’ll be reprimanded and potentially disqualified. More details on those rules once voting opens.

The top three winners of the poll will receive a prize.

[​IMG]

Prize Structure

1st place: 2 epic chests
    2nd place: 1 epic chest
    3rd place: 2 magnificent chests

[​IMG]
    Now get deckbuilding!

[​IMG]
    Q: Can I submit a build I already made?
    A: Yes, but if the build is too common or unoriginal it probably won’t win the competition.

Q: Can I submit more than one build?
    A: No, one entry per participant.

Q: Does the Sorcererers’ guild rule about prize-sharing apply to this competition?
    A: No.

Q: I worked on my build closely with another player. Can we make a joint submission?
    A: Definitely! I will accept entries representing the work of multiple players. If the entry wins any amount of prize, that prize's pizza equivalent will be divided amongst the players credited with the creation of the build, and then those players will receive as many chests as I can give from that pizza.

Q: Why is there a video component to the submission?
    A: I think that more people should record Card Hunter! We need more players being more vocal and sharing more things about the game, and I figured this contest could help produce some cool footage to show off.

TeleExit, PaladinGP, Pengw1n and 2 others like this.
  2. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

Interesting stuff. I'll check it out definitely. =)

neoncat and Flaxative like this.
  3. Finial

Finial Orc Soldier

I have ideas already percolating!

neoncat and Flaxative like this.
  4. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

These aren't submissions, but just some inspiration for folks who haven't been around since the dawn of time like myself.

Gorillas in the Mist - the build that started it all, shot me up to the 14oos
    Puppet Master - a "reverse-3DC" build
    Super Saiyan / Vampire Remix - MORE CARDS THAN YOUR HAND HAS ROOM FOR
    X-Strike - a 4-part combo for 1-hit KOs

Sadly, these all ended up being sufficiently successful in MP. Recently, I've encountered a couple of builds similar to Puppet Master, which makes me happy. I'm not aware of anyone running the other builds, however, although they are super-fun to pull off.

Flaxative likes this.
  5. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Do we really have to make a video? I've got some recording software, but I don't have a microphone.

Does it need to be an MP build? Can we submit an SP party instead?

neoncat likes this.
  6. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

SP build should be fine. Video doesn't need to be entertaining or even have audio, I just want to see cards played.

7. Very cool! I am sad I can only submit once, but I totally understand why. Now I will have to have my own preliminary contest to see which one build gets the submission....

CT5 and Flaxative like this.
  8. When you post the decks you'll post them up without attributing them to individuals, right? I'm not entering the contest but if I were to vote in a poll I don't want to be swayed by how much I like or dislike the individual behind the deck.

9. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

I think Flaxative will post them with the person's avatar, but with black box across the avatar's eyes so that you can't tell whose it is.

Censored.jpg <----- Something like this.

scorpion_wins and Flaxative like this.
  10. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Not sure how I can share the videos without revealing who created them :)

11. That's a great idea, thanks Scarponi. Fears allayed.

Scarponi likes this.
  12. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

The first submission just landed in my inbox!
    Get yours in soon—contest closes in a little less than a week!

13. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Is that tomorrow or the day after?

(I just discovered that I don't actually own one of the items I wanted to use. Plus, I don't have any video software installed on this computer yet.)

14. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

You can use the test server if you want.
    As for video software, youtube.com/upload has a broadcast option that works in any modern web browser.

I think I'm going to push the deadline back a bit, seeing as I only have one submission this far...

Maybe May 20 at 0:00 UTC -- so, the midnight between May 19 and May 20.

15. Okay, I am this person. What's the best free software I can get?

Edit: I was posting that as Flax posted the above. Thanks!

16. Stexe

I wonder what builds have been suggested so I don't re-post some. Any with "force your enemy to have more cards with Inspiring Presence and then using Punishing stuff"?

17. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

That sounds new and interesting!

p.s. we just got our second submission!!

18. Vakaz

Vakaz Guild Leader

The free trial of Camtasia is also very nice; that's what I used.

Flaxative likes this.
  19. Stexe

Okay well I tried out my hilariously bad build and failed every single time without getting the combo (and impressively failing Pushback Parry 3 times in a row). Out of time to record now so I'll just give you what I have for the lulz.

Flaxative likes this.
  20. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Thank you! My creative muse takes at least a week to boot up, so I'm just now starting to figure out what I want to do.

CT5 and Flaxative like this.