Summer Balance Discussion

Discussion in 'Testing' started by Flaxative, Jun 15, 2016.

1. SerraSerra

SerraSerra Kobold

So basicaly no more bless/accelerate/volc , no more savage curse/rad cannon , no more step elfs , no more control wizzards. Personally i don't believe in tweaking the game mechanics retroactivly , i know you will make nex 'counterplay' cards and items as well , but i think thats actualy the only way to go because this way a lot of people who spend a lot of time grinding and farming to finetweak their builds now see them reduced to just mediocre builds. Since you say that you don't care in making an even flat playing field , there will always be items way more powerfull than others , the whole point of a card collecting game to me is that the people get rewarded for their grinding by a higher probability to own better items, than nerfing those items to 'level the playing field' just comes as a slap in the face, might as well not have spend all that time playing MP to get the necessary gold to own 3 mordecai's and those reality warpers since, same thing for cursed radcannon wich becomes nothing more than a nice 'gimmick' item now that is can't deliver consistent strong attacks anymore. To conclude there will always be game mechanics to be abused , in my eyes a good player is defined by insight in those mechanics and insight in the probabilities of drawing certain cards at certain rates and aplying this to your build, CH being a MP game it is logic that people share their insight and that grinding or experience in combination with the sheer luck of legendary drops defines the top list players, that's just the way it is. Nerfing savage i can understand , but nerfing telekinesis makes the whole wizzard set up weak and renders them sitting ducks. Sorry for this ragepost but my frustration might be made clear with a MTG comparison. Lets take birds of paradise , dark ritual , giant growth, counterspell, lightning bolt for example , they are extremely overpowered cards everybody knows , so instead of making them illegal players should be aware of the existence of those cards and calculate their possible appearance on the battlefield in their tactics. So if you attack my wizz with a warrior and need to do this in 2 steps , than be aware of the fact that you should position your warrior 1 square from a wall if you don't want to get teleported to the other side, same goes for FoA , if you see someone buffing a mage and than getting his own team out of LOS than you're an idiot if you don't get the danger ahead. Also now that accelerate time is limited to range 5 it will actualy reinforce the 'standing at the other side of the map' camping style typicaly of volc/bless decks , and as far as using it for fire/burning builds it actualy becomes a way to expensive version of instant burn. Sorry if i sound like melvin but i think you can't just nerf like that , instead of putting everyone in the same player pool the game would need to make MP battles more customisable , like for example making it possible to have garanteed 3wiz vs 3wiz ranked MP battles maybe even with power token limits for those who wish , this way people could play all those nice items which are just sitting there doing nothing because they are to weak to use against all warrior builds , one could also ad for example the option to do a ranked peasant match if one would be to frigging buthurt to run the risk of facing searing pain or any other strong card/item he or she doesn't own. So far for my melvin rage... Just to be clear i agree with the burft nerf but i strongly fear the telekinesis nerf will make wizzards even more disadvantaged against priests/warriors, same goes for the accelerate time nerf.

2. SerraSerra

SerraSerra Kobold

Nooo nay never , no nay never no more , will i play the bless-cano , no never no more... :)

Tyro likes this.
  3. Master Goo

Master Goo Ogre

SerraSerra, I have 3500 hours in CardHunter according to Steam statistics, i do own all nerfed items in multiple count: 6 or 7 Iljuns, 4 radcannons etc.
    And.. i am glad of the changes (exept Acc, but i still have a hope for it to be back:D). It's nice to abuse op mechanics, i agree, but other dudes wants too play too:D

I have invested certain amount of time and money (all content, allways club + almost all skins) and have no complaints, devs do right, they have my support.

Card Hunter is getting better both for new and for experienced players, more balanced, more fair, and more fun:D

4. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

Everyone being forced to adapt to the overpowered few was prbly what made those changes happen.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  5. SerraSerra

SerraSerra Kobold

Let me be clear , CH is the best game i played yet (next to MTG and the total war series) and even if i have limited financial resources i spend a little money on it because i support it's idea philosophy as a whole. I just don't like the fact of retroactivly changing game mechanics which seems to be more a result of bad a priori thinking resulting in an undeserved punishment of dedicated players while it was obvious from the start that those cards , items were OP. Anyways , maybe it will be a good thing in the end , i just realised i will no longer share any builds on the deckbuilding forum because of the chances of it becoming popular or more precisly because of the chances of it's obvious superiority leading to either a nerf or the build becoming so popular that it kinda ruins the game.

6. Lucky Dice

Lucky Dice Thaumaturge

like Soular? Got such a huge nerf people don't touch it... oh wait.

7. SerraSerra

SerraSerra Kobold

Could you be more specific i don't check the forums that regularly.

8. Lucky Dice

Lucky Dice Thaumaturge

So basically the deck that involves crapton of heals, cushioning armor, reliable armor and bless.

9. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I'm surprised you know less than 24 hours after the patch that all these strategies have been rendered obsolete. How many games did you log in that time and do you mind sharing some data with our team? Would have been nice if you could have chimed in during the playtest!

vitreo84 and ParodyKnaveBob like this.
  10. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Also, I have just distributed playtest rewards. Enjoy!

Master Goo likes this.
  11. I felt that elf warriors were extremely weak on the test server and thought the nerf would be dialed back in the live build. The only reason to run an elf warrior over a dwarf warrior (if you're trying to increase your rank, anyway) is maneuvers, so maneuvers had better be pretty good. It's not a bad card but in its current state I don't think it's good enough to justify ever running an elf warrior. I get the feeling ranked is going to feel like a Dwarf Fortress spinoff pretty soon. I realize dwarves were nerfed too but it's an extremely tame nerf in comparison.

The other nerf I think was a mistake was to Apprentice Ferocity. I think either leaving it alone or giving it a block that is not total garbage would have been better. Before this patch Raging Battler was better probably 80-90% of the time, but Apprentice Ferocity had a niche. Now Raging Battler is better 100% of the time so you have a strict (on paper no but in practice yes) upgrade moving from an epic to a legendary item, which doesn't feel great (like Kerricks > Quellics).

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
    Robauke likes this.
  12. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

What about them getting a Dash card every round?

Edit: I find you are wrong about many things in your next post.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
    timeracers likes this.
  13. Not nearly enough to outweigh +8hp and superior racial skills.

14. Fortaleza

Fortaleza Orc Soldier

Wish it to be like Hearthstone, when there a nerf you have X days to sell your items back at full price, so you do not feel soo much that you just got your time/work/items stolen. :(

15. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

I enjoy people complaining that 1 racial skill is now a little weaker (but is still very capable of destroying my three wizards very easily, as I saw it today), when I now have 70+ warpers that have become very situational, and even more niche than they were before.

But you know what? Not a big deal. A lot of other great items out there, people have just been blind to them because they were too comfortable with what they had. I mean, I've already found success with staves that I've never used before. Take some time, think about how the items work together, and make something. You might surprise yourself how well it actually does.

16. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

Playing MM18 taught me something new today.

Oh, look at that, BM snuck an update in on us. $}^ J Looks like you can finally go through all those Heavy Armor threads and mark them solved, eh? $E^ D Btw, the card looks hot now. Thanks. $:^ ]

17. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Yeah, we got these 3 fixes in before the balance work: https://twitter.com/RudolphoCH/status/742936068908027913

18. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

Out of curiuosity, was a change of superstitious to a singular event considered?

ParodyKnaveBob and gulo gulo like this.
  19. Maniafig

Maniafig Thaumaturge

Pawndawan likes this.
  20. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Not technically, but because the dwarf skill slot doesn't unlock until around L6 or 7 I believe, we manually kept those items at their previous level.

ParodyKnaveBob and Maniafig like this.