Retire hated leagues and add more new ones

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Duffy, May 31, 2016.

1. Duffy

Duffy Mushroom Warrior

This is a two-part feedback on the current league system.

As a long time player i am getting pretty tired of seeing the same leagues again and again, with only a few new ones being added in each expansion. Getting brand new leagues more frequently would certainly make things more interesting and increase attendance in pods, so we don't get 1 win first place as often.
    Getting players to help make new leagues, as it is with MM would probably be a good idea.

Secondly i would love to see some of the more hated leagues get removed or changed to make them less awful.
    Roll out the Barrels and Graveyard Gambol are probably the most hated leagues afaik.

Also it would be nice if the Triple Duel league could somehow be "fixed" to work like it used to. After all the teleport cards from the robot expansion came out it is less triple duel and more "who can draw their teleport first duel".

2. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

I agree with:
    players could make leagues like they create MMs

I disagree with:
    low number of players that win (play) games is also because 3 gold chests for 50 gold is a good deal

But someone could really make a poll and let players rate (or arrange from best to worst) all the current leagues to see if there are some that are significantly less loved than others. I think ones with 20-minute timers (QD and Geomancers come to mind) are the worst. Who would want to spend 40 minutes on a league game? QD needs simultaneous drafting and 15-minute timers.

3. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

I've seen people comment love and hate for almost every league. What makes you say those two are objectively the most hated? Based on the stats, it doesn't even look like Roll Out the Barrels is the least liked out of the current rotation, let alone universally.

This would be a much more effective way to actually come to some determination (I think a long time ago there was a thread doing something like this - one could try to find it).

Ah, a perfect example. Personally I love Geomancers, it battles for my favorite league.

4. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

Because leagues run every five (5) hours now, maybe the league rotation could be even shorter?

I agree with tweaking some leagues. The first step would be to make a suggestion thread about the pros and cons of specific league.

Player-created leagues could be good, but it's much more work than creating MM scenario. And seeing there aren't that many MM scenario creators, I don't think we see any player-created leagues anytime soon. But yeah, I'd like to see BM encouraging / helping player-created leagues to be reality.

I don't agree with polling the forum users, although I did that with fixed deck leagues before EttSC. As Scarponi already said, BM should have extensive data about league popularity as in league games played. Letting the vocal but very minor part of CH playerbase rate all leagues, just let the bigger sample size of played league games speak for itself.

What I would like to see:
    • Shorter league rotation
    • More "intelligent" league rotation picker:
      • No double QD league rotation twice in a row (unless QD is much more popular than other leagues)
      • Mix fast and slow leagues into the same rotation (based on league timer and actual average playtime)
      • Favor more popular leagues, rotating them in more often (based on actual league games played)
      • No leagues with identical maps on the same (or even back to back) rotation (Oozeball (QD), Golden Shrine (QD)).
    • Have losses contribute to league tie break points too
    • Permit late entry to league
      • Shorter queue times towards the end of league duration, hopefully
    • Tweak the old leagues with the feedback from forum community
      • Maybe one league / month, roll the league update alongside MM / AA update
      • Start with the most unpopular league (based on actual games played)
      • Create a forum thread for league tweak suggestions
      • Create different league tweak iterations on the test server
    • After all of the above has been done, create new leagues and/or promote player-created leagues

Maniafig and Scarponi like this.
  5. Duffy

Duffy Mushroom Warrior

Roll out the Barrels is hated but still played because people who already has a burfft team can play it like any ranked game.

And Graveyard Gambol i surmise is very disliked because you almost always win the pod with 1 win, indicating that people don't wanna play it.

6. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Sorry, I think I was unclear.

My question was not: Why do you think these are the most hated?
    But I was trying to ask: What evidence do you have that these are the most hated?

7. Master Goo

Master Goo Ogre

> yes shorter League rotation would be ok
    > yes, player created content will inplement more diversity to game and gameplay
    > yes, more variety for sure is good too

Some maps like Barrels, Death March, Golden Shrine, Waterworks require one of unique strategies (not only burfft - but fly and couple other ways). Though usually this require many good items - these maps do create wider variety of gameplay.
    Though i'm not a huge fan of for example Graveyard Gambol, but i dont mind to play couple of it time to time. Anyway it's a card game, and u can not remove random factor from it.