Very long loading times

Discussion in 'Support' started by karadoc, Oct 31, 2013.

1. karadoc

karadoc Hydra

Recently I've been getting very long delays in some of the game's loading screens. The slow loads are:
    • leaving the main map to enter a module (waiting for the module description to appear).
    • entering the loot screen at the end of a battle (after pressing the 'onward!' button).
    • waiting for the campaign/multiplayer selection screen to appear (immediately after logging in).
    • restoring a stored party setup (waiting to return to the party equipment screen).

I used a stopwatch and found that the loading times for these things are around 15 seconds each. It's so slow that Firefox often pops up a warning window to tell me that the flash plugin has become unresponsive because it's busy.

I'm confident that it wasn't always this slow. So my guess is that the slowness is because I've got a lot of items now.

The slow loads are a bit tiresome and offputting, so I'm tempted to sell a heap of my loot to see if that speeds things up - but on the other hand, I don't really want to sell my stuff until I need the gold!

spacedust likes this.
  2. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Or its possible you could have other flash process running in tandem ? You can check by going to the task Manager, click processes and scroll to FlashPlayer plugin. There are two entries. One of them should have a far larger memory size than the other. In general, for my machine with 8GB Ram...things start getting slow when the Flash plugin hits 800+ MB.

Hope it helps.

3. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

Does this happen in every browser you use? This feels like more of a bug/support issue.

4. attog

attog Mushroom Warrior

Exact same issue for me as well, I just figured it was due to more people playing the game and that we were all experiencing it. I have an insane amount of loot due to daily firestorm grinding though, I didn't even consider that could be the source of the issue. I must have thousands of duplicate items, I don't really bother selling anything besides treasure.

5. karadoc

karadoc Hydra

I don't think that's the problem. I only have one flash running currently. And the slowness isn't just sometimes, it's always, regardless of whether or just restarted my computer or whatnot.

I'll have to get back to you about that. I just tried to test the game in Internet Explorer, and all I got was a black screen (after 'checking server status'). The tab title said "Card Hunter - Flash Player Installation http://game.cardhunter.com", so I suppose the problem is that I don't have the flash plugin installed for IE, but it's a bit surprising that IE isn't actually telling me about the problem. In any case, I might try to fix that a bit later on.

I'd prefer not to install Chrome to test it.

6. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

Really? Hmm, Chrome is the only browser that hasn't constantly broken something with every update (I'm looking at you, Firefox). IE's adherence to web-standards, even in 11, is...questionable at best. Since Safari is also WebKit, maybe try that?

7. karadoc

karadoc Hydra

I got annoyed at Google when they started adding advertising to the start page of Chrome. First it was just 'log into your Google account'- which is relatively benign, then it was various irremovable links to the 'Chrome Web Store' - which I found a bit frustrating... but the big thing was when they put in ad for chromebooks, complete with price and a link for how to buy on. I considered that massive offstepping of the boundry.

I just want my web browser to be a neutral platform for browsing the internet. I don't want to feel like a commodity for Google to show ads to, and I don't want to be nudged, tricked, cajoled, or otherwise manipulated into using other Google products. So I've ditched Chrome in favour of Firefox. (Incidentally, since I stopped using Chrome, Google search started advertising to me that I should try Chrome... so I stopped using Google search as well. That kind of stuff really annoys me.)

--

Safari is no longer under development on Windows.

8. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

Reaching here but...perhaps Opera?

(FWIW: My Chrome start page just has a google search bar and the 8 most frequent sites I go to)

9. karadoc

karadoc Hydra

Ok. I've downloaded Opera and tried playing Card Hunter with it. The game still had the same slow loading problems.

As a side note, I thought it might be interesting to see what Opera's doing these days, but it was actually a bit saddening. The first thing I wanted to do when I installed Opera was to change (or remove) the search box from the new tab page. There are a bunch of different instructions for how to do it with previous versions of Opera, but according to the Opera forums, it's no longer possible to change it. Apparently Opera has abandoned all of its customisability so that it can use the same engine as Chrome — which is a questionable choice given that the customisability was the only thing Opera had going for it in the first place. Opera is now just a rebranded clone of Chrome, with less support. Fans of the old style are disappointed, and fans of the new style just use Chrome instead. So it goes.

10. I am pretty sure it is at least partly due to the amount of items you have since those get loaded for those screens. I had the same problem, but after selling ~700 or so of my junk items loading times improved. And on the test server everything is superfast.

11. I'd never thought of that, thanks Turin, time to do the same haha, all of this dang farming

12. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Yeah, not suffering from any lengthy loading times - and my collection is more of a medium size. So I'm thinking it's related to that.

13. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

Okay, a good thing to look at then. Thanks everyone!

14. SystemIsDown

SystemIsDown Mushroom Warrior

Can your inventory also cause lag when you play your cards? Today I started experiencing a lot of lag whenever I play a card. It's happening on both of my PCs, so I don't think it's machine specific. Happens in IE and Chrome too. I've been farming a lot the past few days, so I wonder if that has something to do with it.

15. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

It's looking like it could have some impact. I'm loathe to make it official until we see more instances, and even then we'd need to be sure of the reason.

16. Dunno, the only time I had lag playing cards was when my wireless connection was really bad (three bars). Once I am in the game everything goes superfast for me no matter how many items I have.

17. SystemIsDown

SystemIsDown Mushroom Warrior

After I posted last night I sold maybe 80-100 items and then played a few games. It was back to being smooth when playing cards. Before selling, whenever I clicked on a card to play there was maybe a half second delay and the animation lagged. Like the game had a case of the stutters. That was going on pretty much all day yesterday. Cleared my cache and even tried a different browser and different PC and it didn't help. There may be some kind of inventory threshold you hit where the lag starts. If it starts happening again I'll let you guys know.

18. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

Thanks! Good info to have!

19. spacedust

spacedust Goblin Champion

I'm experiencing lag issues as well. My inventory is medium sized I reckon, though with the amount of farming I've done recently it may have gone up significantly. Still, I'm pretty pedantic about selling off treasures and unneeded duplicates except for Divine and Arcane items. To give an idea of the times involved, it hovers around 8 to 10 seconds while the loading icon shows up. In addition, any other flash processes running concurrently will experience slowdown too, e.g. Pandora stops playing for a while, Youtube starts lagging. Is there anything that can be done about this server-side, or just a quickfix to give us a button to automate deleting duplicates?

20. ClimbHigh

ClimbHigh Mushroom Warrior

After my Win7 crash to blue screen when playing 1hr ago, I never manage get back to the game after many tries.. Always in that loading circle, either in the pop can screen or at the time I start joining an MP/SP game.

Originally used Chrome, same for IE. Tried it at another laptop it is the same.