Unusual no experience bug

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by SwampHunter, Sep 22, 2013.

1. SwampHunter

SwampHunter Kobold

I just finished the Throne of Stench (level 7) quest. When I started, all my characters were level 8, just a few points shy of level 9. At the end of it, 2 of my 3 characters got experience and leveled up, and one did not.

Is this a bug? Some other reason?

2. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Could you tell us your EXACT amounts of XP right now? (Assuming you haven't played more since the moment. If you have, please try to remember what else you've done, too.)

Since you'd get 4 XP from that combination of levels, it's possible that one of your characters simply needed 5 XP and you blinked during a critical moment.

3. SwampHunter

SwampHunter Kobold

I have played one more quest, and the first character got xp that time. However, before the quest I mentioned, the characters were at 18/20, 17/20, and 16/20 respectively (of level 8). Only the 2nd and 3rd character got xp. I just finished the final trog adventure and this time my first 2 characters got xp, but not the third.

4. Sir Knight

That's . . . not supposed to happen.

I'm all out of explanations. Any help here?

5. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Might wanna check it again after the latest build release because one of the bugs fixed was:

6. cpu70

cpu70 Kobold

This is only a visual bug. Here is how to reproduce:
    1. Have a character with 18 XP
    2. Play and beat a dungeon 2 level below your character level (a lvl 18 character and a lvl 16 dungeon)
    3. On Level Up screen, the experience is correctly 0 (18 + 2 = 20), but the level shown is the same as before (18 in the example above)
    Also, if any power gem is awarded , then it won't show at all.
    LevelUpScreen.jpg
    4. If you move to The Keep or any shop, the correct level is shown (lvl 19 in the above example) and any awarded power gem is also visible.
    KeepScreen.jpg

7. Sir Knight

Hmm. Other people have posted about that:

http://forums.cardhunter.com/threads/bug-display-bug-leveling-up.3495

I presumed that this was NOT what SwampHunter is describing: more like "this character received no XP" even beyond the level-up visual issue.

SwampHunter, did you see any XP animation whatsoever for these characters?

8. SwampHunter

SwampHunter Kobold

The second and third, yes. I can confirm the first never leveled up (even though he originally had the most XP). I know this because after completing the NEXT adventure, he leveled while the other two didn't. Basically, my characters started out a few xp apart, the first a few ahead of the 2nd, and the 2nd ahead of the third. Now, the character that had the most has the least, although not by a lot.

9. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Yeah, happened to my party in beta. I believe we figured it out was working as it should, but it was a bit confusing: http://forums.cardhunter.com/threads/first-character-lagging-in-xp.1056/

10. SwampHunter

SwampHunter Kobold

I've read that. The thing is, if you start a fresh party, they maintain the exact same XP, but if you start a one-character party and have them join, that first character winds up with the least XP of all three. That's just bizarre no matter how you 'splain it.

11. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

If its a visual bug, I'm guessing it all belongs to the large family of as3 tweens not behaving correctly, ie, monstrous sized cards, items on chest etc etc ... which is a relief to hear, I guess. Oh, and SK...erm, you put the wrong (Wall of Stone bug) link in yr post. I forgive you, tho ;)

12. Sir Knight

Wait, what? I've spent this entire conversation wondering whether something like what Pengw1n linked might be going on, but all indications were to the contrary. We've discussed the linked situation many times with many new players. Compare your character's level to the adventure's level, and if you are:
    Suppose person A is at level 10 with 1 XP, and person B is at level 9 with 19 XP. Person A then might, for example, gain 4 XP from a level 9 adventure while person B gains 10 XP. Thus:

1 + 4 = 5.
    19 + 10 = (level-up and) 9.

Then all you have to do is wait until the next level junction and it will swap again. There's no "ending up" either ahead or behind: it's a mathematical inevitability that characters will vary due to the XP patterns.

And I threw all of this out the window because SwampHunter has told us, repeatedly, that there has been no XP animation. SwampHunter, did you see the little "bar filling up with XP" animation? I am NOT talking about the "level-up" animation. I am talking about the bar moving left-to-right.

Because now you've told us one important thing about how you're checking your assumptions:
    You are not looking at the XP animation itself, just the level-up animation.

In the end, I must repeat: could you tell us your EXACT amounts of XP right now, and the EXACT adventures you've completed? Then we can do the math.

Edit: Phaselock, apparently this has not been a good conversation for links, either mental ones or hypertext. I'll go and change that.