The Troll Tyrant

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Bardolph, May 16, 2014.

1. Bardolph

Bardolph Kobold

I made an account on the boards just to say something about this adventure. I didn't want I have been trying for a very long time to complete it, but it is uber hard. Would it be possible to implement a way to adjust the difficulty? I am saying this because i can finish the first map 1 in 10 tries and then the second 1 in 3 tries and then the third map i haven't cleared. As it is now it seems kind of broken. I have purchased with pizza all the Attack of the Artifacts adventure, but i can't get to the last two because of this.
    I don't want to talk about strategies, because I have tried the strategies posted, just if an option to adjust difficulty to be implemented. For example to stop the enemies from drawing 6 cards or to use position move or to adjust their cards.

2. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

Lowering adventures' difficulty wouldn't be fair if it would still give the same loot. There's nothing hard in regular adventures.
    No special strategies are needed if you have nice gear. Pretty much what 2war, 1priest wear in MP should do nicely.

doog37 likes this.
  3. Bardolph

Bardolph Kobold

I don't care about the loot. I just want to finish this adventure.
    I don't think what you use in multiplayer works here, because:
    - on the first map you must have cards that deal damage based on the number of cards in hand
    - on the second you need a fire mage and whirlwind
    - on the third you need burst cards and chops and who plays chops in multiplayer
    Basically you need to change gear every map and it is not a very fun adventure, in fact it is the least fun adventure of all. I was wondering if there are any other players who share my view, because you have a high rating, but I don't think all players are able to breeze through it like it is nothing. I really think that a difficulty setting would be appropriate, to make it accessible to all players.

4. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Do you want some way to take a mulligan, get no loot, but be able to access the other adventures you bought? If you email support they might be able to do it, but the other two are pretty tough as well. I found them a bit easier than the tyrant, but they're not cakewalks either. I don't think a variable difficulty level is possible in this format.

5. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

The three AotA level 18 adventures were designed to be ridiculously hard. (And the Troll Tyrant is the easiest of them...) You'll need decent equipment, plenty of experience, and some luck to breeze through them. I fancy myself to be a highly-experienced player with good loot, and the dragon still beat me down. (dragon sux -_-)

6. Oberon

Oberon Hydra

I honestly have to wonder how hard these adventures are for the "average" player, and for the player who just beat the game up to that level? The testing of these before release was sort of corrupted by the release of new AotA equipment. A lot of us used the unlimited pizza to open a ton of chests, which gave us large collections with which to attack the lvl 18 adventures. I thought they were a pain in the butt with my equipment collection, I pity those trying with only a handful of good equipment.

Jon was pretty clear with our initial feedback that they wanted these adventures to be very difficult. People seem to be beating them, but you have to be willing to put some serious time into it.

7. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

I believe most people that have beaten the campaign should be able to tackle the AotA adventures, and as has been discussed - the lvl 18's was intended to be quite a challenge for the most experienced players.

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  8. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

On test server, I completed all the L18 missions with only gear from running through the campaign once (granted, including AotA gear, because I started after the new content was on test). I died a bunch of times but nothing was impossible and I didn't have amazing loot (or even the ability to change my party configuration because I didn't want to level other toons—I just did human 1/1/1 all the way).

Sir Veza likes this.
  9. Squidy

Squidy Hydra

[​IMG]

Spent my evening on this, man that was a lot of fun!
    Make some more like that please, you can even make then a bit harder :)

kogi and Flaxative like this.
  10. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

11. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

I WILL NOT THINK ABOUT THE DRAGON EVER AGAIN. >_< *whimper*

hatchhermit likes this.
  12. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

The rust monsters counter melee characters. Bashes, cold, halt, parries, stun work pretty well. You don't necessarily need Touch of death/punishing bolt. Also, the terrain has a couple of useful choke points. This is not a map where brute force works as enemies have higher dps/dpt (damage per turn) than you.

I've never used a single WW in single player. And this is the easiest map for me. The starting corridor itself is a choke point. Move yr party up a bit and its 2v1 usually. Fire is useful against the trolls but so are bashes, cold, purge, discards. On paper, the trolls hit hard but they have no control cards so locking their movements/deck usually makes it much easier.

Well, I didn't use chops. For me, this map is all about positioning & intelligent targeting. Resistant Hide is annoying but shredding armor, penetrating, lifesteal, parries, discards, arcane works. I prioritize the storges who (a) can attack (b) are behind me and (c) on low hp. They don't draw much cards per turn so once you focus and whittle each group down 2 mobs or so, suddenly they can't attack. I find picking the right spot to defend in early on to be the most challenging.

There are 4 maps in Troll Tyrant. All of them have high dps, you will need more than just brute force to win. Maybe, farm a little for better loot ? Alternatively, you could post a ss of a game state that you are having problems with... hmm, which gives me an idea. Maybe this forum needs a puzzle challenge section for players to post their ss and ask for advice. Kinda like Zalminen's diary. :)

edit: I'm a super average player, I don't think my collection breaks 500 and my rating suxors... =)

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  13. Oberon

Oberon Hydra

Good to know. I defer to the guys who actually attempted this.

I would be curious what a main common/uncommon build would look like.

14. Bardolph

Bardolph Kobold

Ok, by now I have collected a lot of items in multiplayer, and I still can't beat this (mis)adventure. I can't understand how this can be in the main game without a way to set the difficulty.
    The image previously posted doesn't do anything for me because:
    - it refers to another adventure that i don't know how difficult it is
    - it refers to a type of quest not normally attempted by average players and it doesn't say how long it took to complete it
    - it doesn't give me any advice on how to beat the adventure
    And regarding what Oberon said, if i can't beat it with epics, than a common/uncommon build can be ludicrous.
    I don't even know why I made the thread: to ask for advice or to ask the developers to fix the difficulty but now I'm leaning toward the latter.
    If they don't change anything that's ok, but i won't unlock additional adventures with pizza in that case.

15. Squidy

Squidy Hydra

16. Bardolph

Bardolph Kobold

I didn't see the videos until now. But I'm level 19 not 20 so maybe I have to replay other adventures first. Anyway thank you for the guides.

17. hatchhermit

hatchhermit Hydra

On one hand I'm glad they made very difficult adventures. On the other hand, I don't even play these adventures unless the Loot Fairy is there.

When I replay adventures I like to try different configurations of items or group rosters to see what's different and what can succeed and what can't. In the new lvl 18 adventures I can beat them with a certain layout and then completely fail the next time with the exact same layout. So I can't do what I normally like to do which is master it one way, then try another. That's fine since there are certain players who thrive on that kind of challenge. I do, too, sometimes.... but it's not my default stance.

18. Squidy

Squidy Hydra

Just replace the armor with a tokenless one you judge good enough and it should do it. You're welcome otherwise, lemme know if this doesn't work for you I may have some more guidance. As hatchhermit stated, some enjoy hard maps (and now I find the lvl 18 too easy) and I leveled 18 of my 27 characters so far up to 21.

19. Bardolph

Bardolph Kobold

Those are good advices, but the trouble is that i have leveled only one warrior in singleplayer. I don't do farming, because i play mostly multiplayer. Is there a way to do the map with 1 - 1 - 1 configuration? My guess is that the mage must have WWE, WOW, force bolt, burst spells and frost spells but it's more difficult this way.

20. Squidy

Squidy Hydra

Lemme know what races you have avalaible and I'll try to come up with something.