The Daily Deal

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Fry_The_Guy, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Gingrich Yurr

Gingrich Yurr Thaumaturge

Fry_The_Guy had great success with it using it as a curse. http://forums.cardhunter.com/threads/the-return-of-savage-curse-1900-deck.10073/

That was some time ago though, though it should probably still work now with some changes. I think it's a little gimmicky but I've never tried it before, could work with a parry bot and a Defender's Block/Cause Fumble bot. But it might struggle against wizard teams, especially in this rotation.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I like it. What's another 3 damage when you discard an attack that does more that 3 damage? Especially if you block it.

ParodyKnaveBob, Sir Veza and Maniafig like this.
  2. Gingrich Yurr

Aork's Vial Of Memories
    Discarding two spells is definitely great against wizards, and sometimes priests. The main problem with Counterspell is enemy wizards will likely be targeting your wizard with their spells, which may trigger the block part of Counterspell. This is why you need to try to get priority to fire it off at the start of a round. However, your opponent may have some unresolved traits in hand at the start of the round, causing your Counterspell to hit nothing. I still think Counterspell is a decent card but in general I would prefer Illusory Barrier or Smoke Bomb against wizards, because those are guaranteed to work, and you don't need to have line of sight to an enemy wizard.

Epics:
    Mithril Mesh Slippers
    I mean, if you want a little bit of armor with some movement...but I really can't think of any situation you would want these.

Necalli Charm
    Healing Pulse is terrible.

Staff Of Burning Ice
    Cold and fire attacks don't go well together, because they might push each other off.

Notable Rares:
    Crusty Helm
    One of the best tokenless helmets, with a great armor and a decent armor. Obvious Maneuver isn't that bad since the opponent can't see the card you draw off it and if you have other traits in hand you can further reduce the number of cards your opponent sees.

3. Gingrich Yurr

Perfect Agility
    The fact that Uncanny Dodge has a guaranteed trigger is both a blessing and a curse. It's obviously good because you are sure to dodge the attack, especially melee ones. It's bad because sometimes you don't want the Uncanny Dodge to trigger. Maybe your elf wizard wants to remain in range of an enemy wizard, but the Uncanny Dodge moves you out of range. Or similarly, maybe your elf warrior wants to unload some attacks but gets moved away by the dodge. Maybe there's a wall behind you and you teleport through it, causing you to take a long time to get back. Whatever it is, there are plenty of unexpected situations where you'll be cursing the Uncanny Dodge in your hand. You really have to play it to really find out what it's like, it's hard to explain. When I first got the item I thought it was the greatest thing ever but after playing with it for a couple of games, I got frustrated with it. It does come with two good cards in Flanking Move, but I really can't recommend the item, unless you really like Uncanny Dodge since this is the only item with it. If you've never played with Uncanny Dodge before though, don't be surprised if you are disappointed with it.

Epics:
    Ixtli Amulet
    Only way to get 2 Illusory Barriers on one arcane item other than the legendary Phantom Pain. Illusory Barrier is extremely strong against other wizards, and I would recommend packing some in a wizard heavy meta.

St. Bethan's Charm
    Fine item if you want some heals to go along with your Mass Frenzy.

Zod's Vile Spaceplate
    Alternative to Stargod's Raiments, with single target card draw instead of mass card draw and a better vampiric attack.

Notable Rares:
    Focused Healer
    One of the crucial vampire items, adding cantrip to all vamp attacks.

Resolution Of Survival
    Retreat is a very powerful card, especially on wizards that are often cornered by enemy warriors, thanks to the Free Move. It's also a card that can trick your opponent into thinking you have a vulnerable character with no cards left, when you have a Retreat up the sleeve of another of your characters. The fact that it can sometimes become a Team Scamper is a bonus. Add on a cycling card and you've got a great item. Retreat has never been so well itemised before, and I suspect the only reason this item hasn't seen play is that Subtle Positioning and Delegate are monopolising the human skill slot, with a bit of Leadership thrown in.

4. BUSSM1599

BUSSM1599 Kobold

In Cardstock II Secret Preview when Felvin attacks you with Staggering Blow, cards like Jump Back or Perfect Agility act masterfully (the second better than the first), canceling its "Immediately" effect guarding your cards. The same reaction would happen against Melt Armor, saving your oldest armor card (If out of range 5) of course. As I said before, they also synergizes very well with Vanguard controlled by allies. The experience is joyful, especially with P.A. unfortunately only for this case.

To include Perfect Agility in your deck as a potential ace in the hole, one path is to extend the panoply of cards with Immediately players could use in game. Releasing Staggering Blow in items and/or more and varied items with Melt Armor opens the spectrum. The great idea is to create a new card with Immediately. Since Warriors and Wizards are able to manage cards that include this effect, an unholy melee card for Priests, for example, would be really interesting to see.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  5. Gingrich Yurr

Wym's Spiteful Bucket
    This is the only item with two Ancient Grudges. When it was first released, one of the most popular ideas involving it was to use an elf wizard with Pathfinding to discard a lot of cards quickly, then unleash Ancient Grudge. However you can only have one Pathfinding in your deck and you need to have both Pathfinding and Ancient Grudge in hand. Also, you cannot have too few Ancient Grudges or you will never draw it consistently but you cannot have too many Ancient Grudges either or they will be dead cards in the early game. Hence, I think the deck is unreliable and a little gimmicky. Hence, I think it fits better as a surprise finisher for a control build, since battles of attrition tend to last longer. Alternatively, just put as many traits as possible on the wizard to cycle through the deck quickly and expand the discard pile. Regardless, I wouldn't shove Ancient Grudge into a random deck, and if you do build around it, I think 2 of them is a good number, which is exactly what this item provides, along with a pretty sweet Lava Pool. If you want to experiment with Ancient Grudge then you might want to pick up this item.

Epics:
    Advanced Footwork
    While Violent Spin and Escaping Run are both fine cards, they don't outweigh the glorified Walk in Smashing Spin.

Inkdark Halberd
    An Inspiring Presence item which is pretty terrible because of the Bludgeons. If you want a double minor Inspiring Presence divine weapon, look out for Ripping Mace.

Rod Of Palver Pree
    Substitute for Asmod's Telekinetic Chain. Although the chain is obviously far better, the rod is no pushover.

Notable Rares:
    Apprentice Resilience
    Only tokenless way to get Antimagic Skin. I use it sometimes for Firestorm farming on low levels.

Excellent Rapier
    Cheap way to add mobility to your warrior at the expense of damage.

Gauntlets Of The Giant
    Fine Frenzy Aura item, if you are wary of the Ill-fitting Armor on Cuirass Of Froth.

Incense Of Roiled Air
    Fine Mass Frenzy item.

Maniafig and Sir Veza like this.
  6. Gingrich Yurr

Hawlic's Surging Shield
    Surging Shield Block is strong for it's Cantrip-like effect, so it is especially effective against wizards. Against anyone else though it's not much better than a Block. The trigger is also a little too unreliable for a card which is strongest when unrevealed. If this card doesn't trigger on the first attack, you lose the surprise factor and your opponent can position against it accordingly. This item just has too high a cost for what it does, especially against an unknown opponent.

Epics:
    Axamander's Ringmail
    1 of the 6 Divine Armors with double Arrogant Armor, but also one of the worst. Hold out for Untouchable Plate, or better yet, the more stylish Holy Knight Armor. You need to have a reason for wanting Arrogant Armor. Most of the time it's for a Radiation terrain priest.

Ixtli Amulet
    Only way to get 2 Illusory Barriers on one arcane item other than the legendary Phantom Pain. Illusory Barrier is extremely strong against other wizards, and I would recommend packing some in a wizard heavy meta.

Pendant Of Artax
    A fire wizard does not usually want Telekinesis, a control wizard does not want Glob of Flame, and no wizard wants Little Zap. Not too bad for a tokenless item though.

Notable Rares:
    None

Maniafig, Sir Veza and gurel2 like this.
  7. Gingrich Yurr

Dark Drewg's Mace
    Divine Armors and Divine Items for support priests that cost tokens are a huge step up from tokenless ones. Sounds like a "duh" statement but what I mean is there aren't many very strong items that are tokenless in those slots, unlike slots like Helmets and Heavy Armor for warriors or Arcane Items for wizards. Dark Drewg's Mace goes a long way towards giving you those tokens that you need. Unholy Frenzy is one of the best paper quality support spells because of its duration of 2, and it can even be used in a pinch as a ranged attack to finish off a low health enemy. Getting two of them along with four pretty heavy hitting attacks without using tokens is just amazing. If you find yourself needing more tokens than you can afford, it may be time to dig up that Dark Drewg's Mace. As a side note, Sacrificial Axe is better for an out-and-out support priest if you don't plan to ever go out in combat, as the trait cycling is better to get you to better support cards while the Strong Hacks and Bludgeons from Dark Drewg's will mostly go to waste. However, Dark Drewg's can still be a consideration since sometimes you just don't want to deal with Vulnerable. Highly recommend purchasing.

Epics:
    Chapeau Of The Afflicted Artist
    One of the best tokenless helmets. Howl and Dodge are both great, and Toughened Hide Strips isn't the worst.

Superb Resilience
    If you want Antimagic Skin you will need more copies than the one that this gives.

Unbalanced Doloire
    Pretty weak attacks. Not the worst for tokenless but not great either.

Notable Rares:
    Howling Steel Helm
    Two good cards and a cycling trait.

8. Gingrich Yurr

Og's Boots Of Peril
    If you want Enchanted Harness, you probably have some sort of armor buuld going on. In which case, you would have no problem forking out the major token for Nasrum's Moccasins to draw Enchanted Harness more consistently, as you would be more focused on defense anyway. Giving one copy of Enchanted Harness just doesn't do much. The Wild Run even has poor synergy with armors since they will usually end up as the oldest cards in hand and hence be discarded, unless you're running Officer's Harness in which case the discard isn't as bad but is still undesirable.

Epics:
    Flicker's Earcuff
    If you really like Counterspell, hold out for Aork's Vial Of Memories because Acid Spray is truly terrible.

Pendant Of Artax
    A fire wizard does not usually want Telekinesis, a control wizard does not want Glob of Flame, and no wizard wants Little Zap. Not too bad for a tokenless item though.

Shield Of The Wraith
    Shifting Block is a little too inconsistent. There really shouldn't be a possibility to get Zombie Form, but unfortunately, there is.

Notable Rares:
    Club Of Devastation
    Best Devastating Blow item, if you can find a way around Vulnerable. Arrogant Armor, Gene Therapy and the like, perhaps?

Gauntlets Of The Giant
    Fine Frenzy Aura item, if you are wary of the Ill-fitting Armor on Cuirass Of Froth.

Malevolent Robes
    Tokenless Arcane Shell with a mostly harmless cycling trait. Big Zap can come in handy too as a finisher when a warrior comes too close.

ParodyKnaveBob, Sir Veza and Maniafig like this.
  9. Gingrich Yurr

Sundersong
    Sundering Strike is pretty good right now. There are a lot of armors around, including ones like Monstrous Hide. However, Sundersong still isn't good. First of all, there's that Able Bludgeon which really shouldn't be there. Next, it gives no mobility at all, and the total damage is pretty low. You are spending 2 major tokens for 45 damage and no movement. There's also the problem that Sundering Strike is unreliable. If an enemy armor needs a die roll to trigger, it may not trigger on Sundering Strike, so the armor may not be discarded. Overall, there's really no need to have so many copies of armor removal, just a Troll's Ire or The Inquisition will suffice.

Epics:
    Axahot's Shield
    For a minor token you really shouldn't have a Flimsy Block.

Shield Of Affliction
    Would be an interesting pick for a tokenless shield if Shifting Block were any other semi-decent block.

St. Elar's Opposite Droplets
    Very flavorful item. That's the only good thing I can say about it.

Notable Rares:
    Club Of Devastation
    Best Devastating Blow item, if you can find a way around Vulnerable. Arrogant Armor, Gene Therapy and the like, perhaps?

Ironwood Staff Of The Magus
    The original "battlemage" staff. A little outclassed by Silverwood Staff Of The Magus but still respectable nonetheless. You may wonder, why play a battlemage when I can just play a warrior? Well, a warrior needs to chase down enemies, because no one would willingly approach a warrior unless they have lots of parries/Martyr's Blessing. However, enemy warriors will instead run towards your wizard, doing all the chasing work for you! From my experience, even after meeting your 1000th Parry the warrior will still stubbornly hack away, while you Big Zap them in the face and laugh. The only weakness is enemy wizards. Real wizards, I mean. They'll snipe you from afar and you will have no way to catch them.

10. Gingrich Yurr

Focused Rapidity
    Free Move is pretty good. It's not Fly but it's the next best thing, allowing you to ignore Zone of Control and difficult terrain. It can be used offensively to get close to a weak character hiding in the back while ignoring characters trying to block you, or defensively to escape when you get backed into a corner. The second effect isn't irrelevant either. It provides armor against stuff ranging from Burst, Cone, Linear, damaging terrain, damaging attachments, damaging traits, and a few more attacks too, like Flash Of Agony, Spreading Laser, Berserk Spin etc. Basically, defense against a lot of the things wizards do. It also allows you to tune your deck slightly to take advantage of it, such as feeling more secure in using items that come with damaging traits like Traveling Curse, Ouch!, and Brain Burn. Fleet really is a pretty versatile card and the biggest problem with it is the major token cost. In fact, if you don't spend a major token you can only get at most one Fleet. This is an investment that not many people are willing to fork out for intangible returns. It is hard to truly appreciate what Fleet does even while you are using it. Personally I have only really used this item on Death March to counter Illusory Barrier, but that is really the least you could be using this item for. There are far crazier things that can be done with it. Only you can decide whether you can utilise this item to its fullest potential.

Epics:
    Aataabulous's Boots
    A gallery of 3 overcosted cards which, fittingly, costs a major token.

Advanced Command
    Decent Sprint Team item, but Sprint Team isn't too popular nowadays.

Evensong
    Mass Frenzy is great. Greater Heal is greater. Personally I think it is a little overrated but there's no doubt about its power.

Notable Rares:
    Ancient Heirloom Shield
    It's a niche shield, but sometimes you just want those Lucky Charms, for situations such as your character starting far away from the action, on a support character, or maybe even to Leadership.

Enormous Mattock
    Powerful attacks if you can deal with the Large Weapon. Good in the Musical Chairs league because there are no walls where the action is at.

Monsterbane Axe
    If you want your priest to be like a warrior, this is the way to do it.

11. Gingrich Yurr

Juniper's Jumper
    Well this is a terrible item. You want harnesses on helmets or boots, because the high value armors you want to boost are in the heavy armor slot. With that gone, there's nothing worthy for you to boost. Would not purchase.

Epics:
    Icicle Shield
    Not the worst tokenless shield, but Flimsy Block is pretty much a dead card against teams without wizards.

Ilinca's Moccasins
    Only minor token boots that can draw 3 cards. Also, it's a toss-up between this and Reynoldo's Boots for the title of best minor token double Escaping Run boots.

Zazhetl's Gray Blade
    Very similar to Raxcotl's Hammer, which is already not that great of an item. Fumble pushes this item into further unplayability.

Notable Rares:
    Incense Of Roiled Air
    Fine Mass Frenzy item.

Superb Evasion
    If you want Elvish Scamper, this is the way to get it.

Sir Veza, Maniafig and ParodyKnaveBob like this.
  12. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

$;^ }

13. Gingrich Yurr

The Irradiator
    Irradiated terrain is great. Often, you see enemies panicking when one of their characters is beside one and will do anything in their power to get away. The potential blowout from getting a bad handicap is just too scary. However, Radioactive Spray has some problems. First of all, it's highly unreliable. You may land some radiation next to an enemy 8 squares away, or you may find yourself stuck between 2 squares of Irradiated terrain. This can be mitigated by playing Arrogant Armor/Gene Therapy/Genetic Engineering/Purges. Another problem is the short range. As mentioned it is possible to land one next to a distant enemy but for the most part you can only count on the one you're playing which is at a short range of 4. Your priest is likely pretty low on defenses so being that close to a warrior can be dangerous. It's also not easy to get it in range of an enemy wizard. The third problem is that there are some handicaps that can backfire spectacularly on you. Namely, Mad Dog and Festering Guts. Those "handicaps" could potentially cost you the game should your opponent get them. In conclusion, Irradiated terrain is great but Radioactive Spray isn't that great. I would even prefer Radioactive Goo instead. Still, Rad Spraying is a very fun strategy and I have had a lot of fun playing it before. Just don't expect the most consistent results.

Epics:
    Clever Mobility
    If you really want more Flanking Moves on elves for some reason.

Gaudekki's Orb
    Poor man's Azgul's Orb.

Terror-Forged Shield
    Shifting Block pretty much makes any shield bad.

Notable Rares:
    Enormous Mattock
    Powerful attacks if you can deal with the Large Weapon. Good in the Musical Chairs league because there are no walls where the action is at.

Focused Dervish
    For step attack warriors. Synergises with Leadership.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    Sir Veza, ParodyKnaveBob and Maniafig like this.
  14. Gingrich Yurr

Don't think I'll be able to do the review these few days. Pretty busy with stuff. Sorry folks.

15. mckeen

mckeen Hydra

@Gingrich Yurr had this drafted a while ago, but there were server issues??? will try and keep it going for a few days, no promises though...

Malone's Hacking Module
    None of the cards here are particularly bad, but none of them are particularly good either. This one is a bit to unfocused to really be of much use, I have 4 and have never used it. Not much more to say for this one...

Epics:
    Dawn Lance
    Looks good in theory, for a range 2 stabber, but in practice it gets outclassed by the ever popular (and tokenless) Blazing Shortsword. If you really want Warding Lance, Warding Dervish is much better and more consistent

Foley's Footwear
    There are better Violent Spin minor token boots out there, my favorite is probably Vinorkin's Boots

Staff Of Freezing Fire
    Quoting @Gingrich Yurr "Cold and fire attacks don't go well together, because they might push each other off."

Notable Rares:
    Frenzied Lycanthropy
    Good source of extra Frenzy Aura works well with a Nimble Strike warrior

St. Xarol's Axe
    Good item for farming the low levels in SP

16. mckeen

mckeen Hydra

Duncan's Chain Cap
    This has 3xChain Harness for a minor which looks good on paper, but the +1 to die roll for armor is not really that good a secondary effect. It may work in some tanky armor build, paired with something like Haunted Mail but that requires some luck on the draw, and you are one Sundering Strike or Boiling Armor away from wasting it. The best armors have consistency to their effect as well, which is why Monstrous Hide and Reliable Mail are the most popular. And it should also be noted that Enchanted Harness is similar but better, I would prefer Howling Hood to this.... I have never used it, would not purchase

Epics:
    Azure Shield
    Flimsy Block should not be on your minor token shield. there are better Icy Block options

Bloodfoot Wand
    Too unfocused, if you want control, get Ring Of Appropriation. There are much better terrain options

McKay's Energy Cube
    Also, very unfocused, if you want Radiation Bomb on a divine item, you are looking for Atomic Drop Console

Notable Rares:
    Goat Boots
    Good trait and a good move for tokenless is a good choice

Ravager's Cudgel
    No bad cards on this item, good source of howls. Solid if unspectacular weapon.

Shielding Warp Boots
    Only way to get Force Field on a minor

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  17. Urgash

Urgash Kobold

18. mckeen

mckeen Hydra

Hawkwind's Moccasins
    One of the best tokenless, Dangerous Manouver is a dash in all but name as the drawback rarely critical; and Escaping Run comes with a potential card draw. For any class and you're not sure what boots to pick, you can't go wrong with these. I have used them frequently, and considering purchasing my 3rd pair today... Other popular tokenless boots: Vollmond Boots, Mouse Boots or Goat Boots (below)

Epics:
    Rapier Of Misfortune
    Great attacks for a single minor token... shame that Bad Luck is not that great

Stargod's Raiments
    Awesome item... used frequently by many top players for the powerful Bless. The other two cards are pretty good too...

Terror-Forged Shield
    I am not a fan of Shifting Block for the uncertainties involved. I would never choose a shield with it on.

Notable Rares:
    Goat Boots
    Good trait and a good move for tokenless is a good choice

Sir Veza and Maniafig like this.
  19. mckeen

mckeen Hydra

Vasyl's Ectoplasmic Raiments
    Should get extra point for having a cool name. I bought one of these shortly after Mittenacht came out and used it for a while as the robes of choice for a mage. But after a while I decided that it wasn't as good as it seemed. I tend to use Cape Of Dark Magic, Malevolent Robes or Robe Of Lightness these days. The reasons for switching are mainly due to the fact that the spirit card pool is not that great. The only card that you really want from it is Unholy Curse, and to a lesser extent Fly, Memory Loss, and Hex Of Dissolution. The rest is pretty meh, and there is always the chance that you will get a form card that will screw up your draw for a while. The best way I think would be to build around it specifically, I have seen a really fun deck designed to get synergy with the curses and Jim's Magic Missile.

Epics:
    Firehide Robes
    Low level SP farming staple...

Hasek's Icy Ring
    Not bad for a cold build, but I would probably risk the Creature Of The Night and go for Lich's Locket

Salazar's Sandals
    Not a bad pair of boots, but a little niche imho, Team Walk and Energizing Move are strong, but you have to put up with a Rusty Armor. There are just better boots out there for both.

Notable Rares:
    Epigenetic Eraser
    Really fun AA item, but I have not really used it yet. Mostly because I have other priorities for divine items. I could see it fitting really well in build with lost of drawbacks on your allies to synergize a bit. Destructive Purge is very strong, and this is the only way to get it on a divine item

Focused Pyromancy
    Must use for all fire wizards

Powerpike
    @Gingrich Yurr and I disagreed on this one, but that is cool (and encouraged!)... I rate this because it is the only item with 4 strong range-2 attacks. I have paired this with Double-Edged Sword and Blazing Shortsword and gotten a pretty strong stab warrior.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  20. Gingrich Yurr

I'm back! Special thanks to @mckeen for filling in while I was busy.

Axe Of The Titans
    The main draw to this item is that you can have an enemy attack you, Surging Shield Block in between two enemies, then Obliterating Chop them. Sounds good in theory but you'll rarely pull off the combo, with only two of each card. It would be more reliable to use a Bloodchopper to get Obliterating Chops and think of other means to get two enemies next to you. Even if you pull off the combo, one problem with Obliterating Chop is that you'll lead off with it since it's not likely two enemies will stay next to you, and then you'll run into some blocks, with reduces a lot of the value of the chop. You could also get overpowered what with being next to two enemies and all, unless you have an insane hand full of chops. While chops are great value, they are difficult to pull off and I would play a simple single target attack over it any day. If you just want the Surging Shield Blocks, Bolg's Big Iron Plate does it much cheaper.

Epics:
    Flashing Longspear
    High density of penetrating attacks. What sinks it is the lack of steps and overcosted Penetrating Stab and Perforating Strike.

Flicker's Earcuff
    If you really like Counterspell, hold out for Aork's Vial Of Memories because Acid Spray is truly terrible.

Nova Axe
    Strong techy weapon, especially for metas full of priest buffs i.e. every meta ever, as Purging Strike is hard to come by. Not the best damage but still respectable, what you're using this weapon for is the tech anyway.

Notable Rares:
    Copper Zapping Wand
    Good for melee mages.

Viridian Dragoncloak
    Only item with both Mystical Dragon Hides. Best minor token anti-attachment robes for mages. Accompanying card is good too.

Maniafig and ParodyKnaveBob like this.