Test Build 1.45 (29 Nov 2013)

Discussion in 'Testing' started by Jon, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

I also got the third boost for the 12th win.

2. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

... and the fourth boost for the 17th win. Mmmaybe that's enough reports about that :).

3. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Why do we have the renown system at all? The main reason is to regulate item usage as you progress through the campaign. The renown system stops you from buying items that are too far ahead of your level. Yes, the power token system regulates that to some degree, but it's a fairly coarse limit. Without the renown system, you could just go buy a whole bunch of level 8 items as soon as the shops open up. We'd rather stagger that a little bit, which is what the renown system does.

The problem with this system has been that it limits players from buying items when they don't want to complete the campaign, i.e. if they want to focus on multiplayer only. The new system allows this by increasing your renown from playing multiplayer.

One alternative we considered is just stopping characters from using items that are above their level but making the prices purely dependent on their rarity. This would have worked well for allowing multiplayer or campaign play but we felt that it was too big of a balance change to make now. It would have made the campaign harder as you can currently buy items that are a few levels ahead of your progression (renown level) at a premium. We feel that this is a useful safety valve to allow people to leap ahead a bit in power by spending gold.

Pengw1n and kogi like this.
  4. Jon

These should all be fixed in the next build.

5. Jon

There's no room for them anymore.

6. Jon

I'm probably going to live with this one for now.

7. Martin K

Martin K Goblin Champion

While I think that it's an improvement to make the extra cost for high level items explicit, a much easier solution would be just to scale both buy and sell item prices by level. It doesn't have to be much, maybe 10%-20%.

Advantages:
    * Logic. Wouldn't you expect to pay more for a powerful item!?
    * Repeatedly playing the high-level SP starts making sense, rather than just farming levels 2 and up as far as your time budget allows.
    * Multiplayer becomes more profitable over low-level SP
    * $-based sort now sorts items by level.
    * Renown system unnecessary (KISS)

Of course, higher average item prices mean you'll have to adjust the pizza-gold exchange rate (if you care about generating money with this game)

I'd also include a double drop rate and half prices for legendaries. I have 2000 or so pizza in the bank, but converting them to gold at 1:5 for a 2500 gp legendary is a waste of my RL money. If prices were more reasonable, I'd consider, but right now I'd rather waste my money on S***bucks coffee, thanks.
    (Despite the whining about PtW, does anyone actually do convert pizza to in-game gold? I'd love to see the server statistics...)

8. DrunkPunk

DrunkPunk Kobold

I dont care anything about pvp , its a pure crap, boring neverending jumping around.. i wait only PVE content, single or co op, after you finish single player there is nothing to do, stick with pve content, 99% epic and legendary stuff is useless junk, check wiki about cards and you will see, have full bag of epic and legendary stuff and not using any , common is much better, maybe name common items legendary and epic better.

9. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Interesting text macro you got there. Do you have one for the forum of each game you have tried?

10. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Wow I never expected him to show up here :)