Test Build 1.45 (29 Nov 2013)

Discussion in 'Testing' started by Jon, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

A new test build! This build contains the new "renown" system as well as new layout for item mouse over information.

To step back a bit: there has always been a "player level" system in the game. This dictates item shop prices. Items whose level is above your player level cost more. As your player level goes up items get cheaper to buy. You player level is dependent on the highest level adventure that you have completed.

This system has two problems:
    1. People who want to play multiplayer before finishing the campaign are severely disadvantaged because items cost more for them.
    2. It's unclear why items cost more and get cheaper.
    To address these problems, we've introduced the new "renown" system. Renown is identical to the old player level except that:
    • It's prominently displayed at the top of the screen.
    • We show you when it goes up.
    • Mousing over items in the shop that are more expensive due to their level relative to your renown now explains why they are more expensive.
    • Your renown can go up as you win more multiplayer matches.
    We also now unlock all the shops in the lobby from the start of the game. The net result is that you can now realistically afford high level items after you've played a bit of multiplayer, even if you don't want to complete the campaign.
    In addition to this change, the new build contains a revised layout for item mouse over information. This layout should be clearer and contains more information, like why you can't equip an item, for example. Let us know what you think.
    Finally, we made some changes to the item sorting in the deck builder (shop, keep, etc). The rarity, level and power token sorts now group the items by their sort category, to make it easier to find particular types of items. Specifically:
    • Rarity sort groups by rarity (i.e. "legendary", "epic", etc).
    • Power token groups by power token requirement.
    • Level groups by items above your renown (that will be more expensive) and items that are at or below your renown. This is done only in the shop, where it is meaningful.
    Full change list:

Deck Builder
    • New item mouse over layout.
    • Item sorts group by type (rarity, level and power token).
    Player Renown
    • Display renown ("player level").
    • Show renown changes.
    • Prompts explaining renown system.
    • Earn renown for winning MP.
    Lobby
    • All shops start revealed in lobby.
    • Mouse over info for some lobby locations.
    In addition to these changes, we're working on a REST API for fansites to interrogate player data. This will allow you to run your own tournaments, show player profiles and so on. More details on this will be forthcoming soon.

Flaxative, Jayce, Pengw1n and 2 others like this.
  2. kogi

kogi Ogre

So does renoun replace player level? What happens when someone only plays sp?

3. Jon

Yes, renown is player level, renamed and displayed. If you only play SP it functions exactly as it did before only now you can see it.

Turbo164 likes this.
  4. Neoburai

Neoburai Kobold

Is the test server open to the public and/or applicants? I looked at the testing forum a bit and didn't see anything. Thanks!

5. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Open to everyone. Just go to:
    http://test.cardhunter.com/

You don't get any renown for beating Gary the first time. Also, it says "Complete more adventures to get more renown" which sounds odd when you're in MP.

It looks a little rough right now, maybe center the text?

6. Neoburai

Neoburai Kobold

Thanks

7. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Old bug: the "regular price" applies to items one level above you:

[​IMG]

And all that empty space is going to take some getting used to.

8. Jon

I decided to leave that, as changing it would make the game harder.

9. Jon

You're supposed to get a renown boost for the second MP match you win and every five wins thereafter.

10. Agkel

Agkel Kobold

Not sure if this is a bug or not, but currently on the test build, I cannot remove members from party. There's no button for it. There's also no store/retrieve option for party. I tried on every shop and store to see if there was one specifically that would allow me to modify party.

New to the test server, so my apologies if this is not a bug or an old one.

11. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

No worries, thanks for testing!
    I'm pretty sure this is an ancient bug, rarely encountered on the live server, where you can't perform those functions until you progress a little bit in the campaign.

12. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

I got the boost for the second MP win.

13. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

My renown on the test server is now 3. The tooltip for a level 5 item in a shop says "Expensive - level above your renown". The same tooltip for a level 4 item says "" (nothing). The tooltip is a bit confusing now as the level 4 item is also above my renown.

This could maybe be fixed with hopefully minimal code changes by changing only the renown display code to always add +1 to the stored player level value. This way nothing else would hopefully break or require changes as the player level would not change. The renown would start at 2 but hey, we're the heroes here, aren't we? We're already known :). I presently feel this change would make the new system easier to understand for the players.

14. ClanCrusher

ClanCrusher Hydra

First, love the new sorting system for Power Tokens and Rarity. Second, while I do love it, it's still not going to help me with the fact that I have over two thousand items sitting in my inventory waiting to be sold.

Also, there are some things I wanted to clarify about renown. I know it functions based on player level, that much is obvious enough, but where does multiplayer fit into all of this? Is there a cap on renown currently since you can only buy items up to level 18? If not, is there some benefit to getting your renown even higher than the presumed maximum you'll need to get the best discount? If so, will the renown from my multiplayer wins be added to my adventure level when this build hits the main game? And really, I have to ask, just how necessary is this whole system? I thought the whole point of the power tokens was to make sure lower level characters weren't using items above their level. Or is this some subtle way to discourage new players from buying equipment they can't use?

Ultimately, I don't think the changes are bothersome, but they do seem a bit puzzling.

15. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

ClanCrusher - the renown is being added to benefit people that play limited SP. Having stores and prices be affected by SP progress only, probably seem unfair to that part of the playerbase. I suspect that renown is capped at 17+1 - which is the highest single player progression.

16. duking

duking Kobold

Minor visual bug- If you pull the view up the first card go up much higher then the rest of the cards.
    [​IMG]
    If you pull the screen down it disappears
    [​IMG]

17. I really like the sorting by group feature. Unlocking all the shops in mp from the start is also great. The renown system seems like a lot of effort for not much gain, the simpler solution would have been to just remove the scaling shop prices. The overall effect of them on the singleplayer campaign balance is pretty marginal anyway due to the powertokens.

I am not convinced that the new item mouseover is an improvement. It makes the screen a lot more busy without adding a lot of meaningful information. But maybe I am just too used to the old system.

Flaxative likes this.
  18. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

I also got the second boost for the seventh win.

19. kogi

kogi Ogre

I think so too, but is there something I am not aware of that I should be?

Flaxative likes this.
  20. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Minor and some ancient (I think) visual bugs:

a) Mousover cards belonging to items on my chars will trigger the item tooltip but ctrl-click doesn't work there.
    b) Mousover any item on a char, cards will slide from deck to item, press space to show all cards, move the mouse away to close exploded view. Mouse-over the same item again, cards will no longer move from deck to item. Mouse-over affected cards in deck no longer show item tooltip.
    c) Shopkeeper images missing, wai ?
    d) Mouse-over item in shop, right click to bring up detailed view. Item tooltip messages are inconsistent. Shows for 'Not enough power tokens' and 'Not usable by this race/class' only. 'Expensive, level above your renown' does not carry over to exploded view.
    e) Go into a shop, click 'sort by cost' in the party inventory sheet. Make sure you are at the top of the pile, click the down arrow on the scrollbar and hold it there. The scroll will zoom straight down and the view is refreshed to show items at the bottom of the pile. This works for all the other buttons. Now redo the same test, but start somewhere in the middle of the inventory instead. Only the 'sort by rarity' and 'sort by power' won't refresh to show bottom of pile. For the shopkeeper scrollbar, zooming to the bottom doesn't refresh at all for any button.