Test build 1.23 (preliminary notes)

Discussion in 'Testing' started by j-wiz, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Pretty sure it's intentional. It is the first time that the player faces a monster that can attack several times per turn, and depending on the armor rolls it can appear really hard to kill.

2. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Knowing Zoorland's take on things, I suspect that's just his way of stating - "you just made this ez mode". Which, I can agree with to some point, they can't keep editing down the difficulty to make everyone be able to beat everything without effort - however I believe turinturamba has a point. The Golem here is powerful enough to be viewed as a "boss type creature".

3. Zoorland

Zoorland Goblin Champion

Even when prompted upon achieving level 6 in the campaign you still can't make an MP party. That definitely seems like a bug, since... well, Gary tells you to try out multiplayer, he gives you a free starter pack, promises to fight you himself to ease you in, and then you still can't play. :/

4. Zoorland

Zoorland Goblin Champion

Yes. I know. I was being as kind as I could about it.

Look, that last battle was already made significantly easier during Open Beta simply by the introduction of blocking terrain on the map. That alone massively cut down on the difficulty simply because you could now easily outmaneuver not only the golem but the ornithopters as well. Now the second mission has been removed, and the fourth (now third) has been massively nerfed yet again. It is now easier than the mission they just removed. Not only is there significantly more space to maneuver on this much larger map than the one in the former second mission, not only is there still that blocking terrain that was added in before that did not exist in the former second mission, but now there are also no longer any ornithopters to contend with.

Basically, the final battle was the one that was removed and the second mission was made immensely easier and put in its place. Even the former third, now second, map is more difficult than this. It is a complete disappointment as a final battle.

5. Zoorland

Zoorland Goblin Champion

Actually, you meet the first one in the third tutorial adventure when you are first introduced to blocks. There's the single goblin with your warrior on one side and your wizard on the other. He can attack multiple times. Also, in the final tutorial mission you twice face the goblin priest who is able to act and indeed attack multiple times.

6. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Yeah, we're still seeing a lot of people fail at Wizard's Workshop. It's too early for the game to present a significant difficulty to the player.

7. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Do you have your animation speed adjusted perhaps?

8. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

I did adjust the anim speed during the testing but.... hmm, can't repro in the new build... will watch for it.

heh, grumpy Z. :)

I don't want to get into a debate of balancing games for the masses. Hardcore players who love challenges shouldn't be left out either. So hoping that somewhere towards the endgame or the endgame itself has some majorly difficult hair-pulling challenges ... but that's a discussion for another time.

9. Zoorland

Zoorland Goblin Champion

Not forum-quoting because I think that would be rude to provide the name, but I do actually quote, "I was expecting the game to remain more-or-less casual even through advancement into higher levels, which I see as an error now."

That's not an error people use to make. :/

10. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Technically, there's no reason why devs can't make casual and hardcore side-by-side. Then again, I can sympathize with a brand new startup wanting to appeal to a large customer base as a priority. Patience, Z ;)

11. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Three comments on the new figures:
    1. No female cleric. :( Is it because that slot was already used for the undead figure? I'd like to eventually see a full set of 18 figures for each theme.
    2. It's good to see non-European themed figures, but their skin is still paler than the evil races. Maybe we could get some Zulu elves next?
    3. One of the things I love about CH is that the female warriors have armor that actually protects them. So I was a little disappointed seeing extra-long braids that could be easily grabbed by enemies. Could they be given to the wizard instead?