[Suggestion] Have losses contribute to league tie break points too

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Harwin, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Scarponi reports ParodyKnaveBob for doing it twice! ;)

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  2. Was going to post a nice mind manner post about this on the Card Hunter Facebook page since I know most devs avoid forums about their game like the plague, but looks like they turned off public posts on this FB page, which tells me they really don't care what we think.

3. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

I'm having trouble reading/understanding your post, @cycosurgeon. Flax, a CH dev, has already posted in this very thread in this official forum for their game... and plenty more in my mind, but no need for me to argue for or against anything if I'm not even sure what you're saying...

Master Goo likes this.
  4. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

Why post on facebook when you could post it here? The devs do read every post on these forums.

5. The name of the thread and the screenshot above my first post says it all. I play league games, I fill the league queue for others, I lose games, and I waste my time for the sake of the community and I get the same placing as people who are smart enough not to play. I used to play more than my 4 games to support the league community queue, but I stopped doing it because fighting the same buffed mage builds over and over isn't very fun and there was no reward for it, then I just started playing only my four league games and that is even getting annoying lately. The last few days I have just been saving myself the frustration and not playing any matches.

I reward the devs for their time by paying for their content. The least they can do is make the scoring semi fair for people who try to support the community league queue but might not be great at the game, are noobs or have don't have all the great cards. Or people like me who would rather play weird builds like acid mages, melee mages or berserk/vicious spin warriors and explore and use the tons of the content most of the community rejects.

It's bad enough I feel punished because I don't use Vamp Clerics and Buffed Fireball/Ember Burst Mages, please stop punishing me with the league scoring too.

6. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

Campaign is great for playing crazy parties or just not top tier parties.

7. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

You want better rewards... for playing worse than you are able to?

8. If I had a dollar for every time I heard that! Sounds like a lazy answer for correctable MP balance issues.

9. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Based on your description of your play experience, it sounds like there's a problem beyond the league tiebreak system. Please don't do things that aren't fun for you in Card Hunter! There are a lot of different ways to play the game—different modes, etc.—and we don't expect them all to appeal to each player. What's more, we're aware of the current balance issues in constructed PvP play and are working to address them. If you can't enjoy Card Hunter right now, maybe take a break, and keep an eye out for balance news (coming soon).

And yeah, like PKB said, I actually read every post on the forums, so, the devs definitely aren't ignoring this stuff. We do have limited resources to address each concern and we have to do a lot of prioritizing. Thanks for understanding.

10. Thanks for commenting and letting us know stuff is on your radar!

11. Looks like your attempt to fix this long outstanding issue in the last balance update didn't work correctly.

12. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

I strongly suggest that the tie breaks of looses contribute to your standings as described here:

The current system is highly frustrating. I lost one time with 5 vs 6 stars with my opponent having 10 seconds left, another time against a million illussion barriers, then against priests going nuts drawing cards while spaming nimbuses and last but not least against a lucky opponent who draw on one warrior Quickness Aura and Rocket Charge in the first turn and on his other warrior in the second turn. Beside this frustrating defeats it is even more frustrating to get the same reward as people who did not play at all....

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    Macizo and Pawndawan like this.
  13. Amen Obernoob, it's like being punished for balance issues twice!

14. Macizo

Macizo Guild Leader

Why twice? How it punish you twice?

15. One because you have to endure the balance issues during the game.
    Two because then you get the same reward as someone who didn't even play or support the league queue which adds insult to injury.

16. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

I still don't like this suggested idea. Currently you can feel bad if you play x games and lose them all but hey: you didn't win a single game and you should feel bad about it.
    If we got stars for most lost games too, you might not discover it but you would still lose your purple chest every time someone sees you have say 0 wins, 2 TB points and colludes to get, say 0 wins 4 TB points with one game. Might happen often and you would end up with less prizes in the long run but you would feel a little better because you don't know this happened.
    I'd choose more prizes and the feeling that I'm an idiot in these rare cases where I don't win a single game. (Though I can't remember last time this happened to me either :p)

Stexe likes this.
  17. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

I really like Drakkan's suggestion earlier (quoted above by Obernoob), but I think zero (0) wins with new tiebreak points shouldn't be eligble for epic chests, so they would at most get 4th place prize (one extra chest more than pure idlers).

18. MathuranF

MathuranF Lizardman Priest

So for your "one" I would counter with the fact that on most league rotations it seems like usually 3/4 leagues are fixed deck (your opponent can't put together a cheese build, which is incredibly helpful to newer players to somewhat level the battlefield). Yes on that 1/4 occasion you might not have a fun time, then avoid those.

For your "two" I would counter that by participating in league matches, you are giving yourself a chance to potentially get a better reward than someone who doesn't. I was helping newer players with some of the earlier levels in co-op campaign and suggested the league to them, "monkey magic" happened to be the one at the time. Even though he wouldn't consider himself the most skilled player, he still mustered up 2 wins in the 4 matches and got first place in his pod.

19. We spend our money on the game so the devs get paid for their time. Our time is precious too!

New players, casual players, experimental players, younger players and people with disabilities who like to play leagues need love too. It's just good customer service to pat us on the back for not going AFK for the whole league and actually supporting the community queue so the diehard hardcore players have someone to beat up! Happy players are more likely to brag and promote your game, where as frustrated and powerless players are not!

If your adventurer party went in the dungeon to fight a dragon, would you want a horse who stayed outside of the dungeon to get the same loot as you did??

I would be fine with not being able to win epic chests, just as long as after spending an hour losing , I didn't end up with the same reward as people who didn't play or support the community queue.

But then again this thread as been going on since 2014 ( that's two years ) , and if the devs actually cared about it, it would have been fixed now. So in theory we are wasting our time even contributing to this thread. But then again it would be nice to see them address some of our concerns as fast as they fix a paypal bug! :p

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  20. MathuranF

MathuranF Lizardman Priest

I think your analogy is off, if it were saying "if your adventure party went in the dungeon to fight a dragon and lost 4 times in a row, would you be ok with a horse who stayed outside the dungeon to get the same loot as you, the person who lost 4 times, did??" Would be a more accurate assessment of the current situation.

I think what skews this into giving people a sense of entitlement is the fact that you're given rewards just for signing up for the league. Which I would argue is treating all players, "New players, casual players, experimental players, younger players and people with disabilities" very generously. If the reward for last place was nothing, and then someone who lost 4 matches got nothing got the same as someone not playing getting nothing, I think people would be less annoyed.

Comparing this to ranked mp, a player who plays 4 ranked matches and loses all 4 gets no reward, which is the same as someone who has never heard of Card hunter, is there an injustice there? The guy who lost his first 4 matches spent time and perhaps money into the game and lost the 4, is he being treated poorly for not receiving anything for his losses? A cheesy answer is that the player who lost was rewarded with some experience and actually got to play the game, while those others we deprived of the fun (and frustrations, gotta take the good with the bad) of playing the game.

Don't get me wrong, I've been on the side that's played 4 matches and lost all of them only to get the same reward as others who have not even bothered trying, but it fueled me to want to get better, yes it's frustrating and annoying and I can sympathize with that, it's just difficult to implement new systems that can't be abused in some way. I go in to my league matches, when I do play, "Even if I lose I'm still getting 3 magnificent chests".

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016