[Suggestion] Have losses contribute to league tie break points too

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Harwin, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Drakkan

Drakkan Ogre

That one might work. And as we discussed on game chat, aside "players who dont play ranked as players who do but loose all" fix, the only difference is:

Player1 wins 2 battles 6-2, and 6-1, he has 2 wins and (4+5) 9 tiebraker.
    Player2 wins 2 battles 6-4, and 6-5, he has 2 wins and (2+1) 3 tiebraker. He also looses 2 battles (4-6, 3-6)

Currently, Player1 is ranked above Player2.

But in proposes system, Player2 would have 2+1+4+3 = 10 tiebraker and would be ranked above Player1.

In BOTH scenarios, no player with lower number of wins will go over player with higher number of wins.
    (sort by wins, sort by tiebraker)

If that's acceptible, it should fix "players who dont play ranked as players who do but loose all" problem.

2. Obernoob

Obernoob Hydra

I like the fact, that this could encourage players to play the games to the very end. And it would encourage me to play more, since at the moment i hate all the games, which i loose close. It is frustrating to drop from having five stars to a loose.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  3. Magic Elves

Magic Elves Thaumaturge

I am a huge spiteful jerk and always play to the end just so I can deny my opponent as many points as possible. I guess nicer people need an incentive to be jerks, though?

Juxtapostion and Xayrn like this.
  4. Fry

Fry Ogre

Sigh...
    [​IMG]

5. BUMP, so the devs can prove they don't hate casual players, new players or people who refuse to play wellspring mage builds.

So tired of playing matches that support the league community by giving people opponents and getting the same placing as AFK people who don't play or try.

The customer is always right and the PAYING customer should never feel worthless, hopeless ,punished and forgotten!!

Blue Manchu! I am calling you out to make this right!

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  6. Master Goo

Master Goo Ogre

I dont have time to play every league, but usually have time to click to join it, to get 3 chests. Same as many others i think. Dont find it a problem.

For the subject: Well, there are + and - of TBP for everyone, not sure good it or not.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  7. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

Goo, I'm sure Fry's point was merely that Fry put forth the time and effort to play four games, yet tied with four players who played zero games.

Master Goo and cycosurgeon like this.
  8. Wandere

Wandere Lizardman Priest

I think there's a big problem with giving consolation VPs to losing players: it lowers the stakes.

Why are games so tense and competitive? Because it's a winner takes all situation. If you remove that, then I think a sense of thrill is lost. It's analagous to a poker game where you get some of your chips back even if you lose the hand. Suddenly, going all in doesn't leave you quite as far on the edge of your seat as it would have. I think in the short term, it would make the game feel more rewarding, but in the long term, the satisfaction from winning would be reduced, and games lose some of their edge.

So I guess, I think we should keep losses pretty punishing, so the wins really matter. But I get a 'minority of one' feeling based on the posts I've scanned so far. :p

Scarponi likes this.
  9. Master Goo

Master Goo Ogre

Ah yeah, sorry somehow i missed it xD Late night here xD
    Yeah i had this few times too lol.

As it was said it lowers the stakes, not sure good it or not.

10. Macizo

Macizo Guild Leader

I would suggest get +1 tie break for every game player, evem if you lose 4 still get 4 points of tie break, so playing get some compensaciĆ³n.

Obviously this +1 is given to the winner to mantain the status quo.

So the ones that put some effort can have a diference.

cycosurgeon likes this.
  11. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

My suggestion has always been to make the tiebreak points be the sum of points your opponents earned, regardless of who won. That would reward people not just for playing, but playing to the very end.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  12. Macizo

Macizo Guild Leader

In chess that would be the secundaria tie break

13. Master Goo

Master Goo Ogre

Its not a good idea b/c anyone will be able for quick concede to improve his standing, and it might be too big issue.
    Giving points for a loosing team can make side decks that point for quick stars:D Get your 1st kill or 1 VP and cya.

14. Fanturluche

Fanturluche Thaumaturge

How about giving the players who won at least one league match a discount on their next league entry? That won't help players who loose their 4 matches, but there might be less players who join leagues without playing, so lower needs for tie-breaking at 0 victories.

15. Macizo

Macizo Guild Leader

Still better than play 4 games on a pod where no one else play and get the same prize, at least they care for entre.

16. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

If you resign or timeout, it only counts the points your opponent had earned up to then, not the full 6. The way to abuse my system is the hit Pass until your opponent wins.

17. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

The way to abuse your system is to attack your own characters. Three burst elf wiz could likely commit total suicide round one for 6 quick tie-break points.

ParodyKnaveBob and timeracers like this.
  18. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

Also, I remember a staff member answering to that suggestion once that "they want your tiebreaker points to be under player's own control" but how many games your opponents win later is not.
    Though I got to admit that Kalin's and Scarponi's points are more on target.

If you lose all 4 games it's quite fair to get no extra rewards. The rewards for winning (in leagues) are too high anyway so it balances league's prizes a little.

19. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

Whatcha think Scarponi? I just came up with this off the top of my head.

[SRC] Myx'd Mess'zh
    Level 8 Elf Wizard

I considered Viscous Locket x4 instead, but holding onto those Hypnotic Beacons will let you discard the armors and take more Brain Burn damage -- meanwhile, Volcano hurts a lot more efficiently than Acid Blast, especially with Combustible! $:^ ]

~~

More seriously, I'm right back to Xaryn's and Drakkan's comments on the matter. Match winner gets own score minus loser's score for tiebreakers; match loser gets own score for tiebreakers. I don't even see it as "rewarding the loser." I just see it as "giving incentive to play competitively." After all, using this system, if you play all four matches, and lose all four matches, and get zero points in all four matches, then okay, sad fact would be you'd get the same reward as the four people in your pod who didn't play any. Oh well. "Next time try for a trophy" and all that painful jazz. But, if you play even one match and manage to get even one VS before the match ends, then you just put forth more effort than those who didn't play any, and you'd win in your pod because all five players have zero wins -- ah, but you got your one tiebreaker over all their zero tiebreakers. (Oh wow, and then you get the full Epic + Magnificent*2 Chests. Hm. That does seem a little overkill suddenly... Baaaaaaah...)

~~

EDIT: Just tried the party (or something very close since I don't have all the items needed), and I came really really close to round 1 obliteration. At round 2 start, one elf wiz still had 2 HP. ~snaps fingers~ The good news is after farming those opp VPs like that, I'd get more of the necessary epics in no time! $E^ J

EDIT: Got it!

(second match, total party death from cards played only on round 1 - beautiful - and btw, first match, I managed to hit draw limit on round 1, turn 1 - that was also sweet)

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  20. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

And this is reportable, as is passing all game :D

timeracers likes this.