Specific Cards Thread

Discussion in 'Castle Mitternacht Playtest' started by Melancthon, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Melancthon

Melancthon Ogre

Use this thread to discuss specific cards, ones that you think are broken, perfect, or need more testing.

Spark of Undeath: My first impression of this card was that it was totally broken. After playing a couple of games with Pawndawan, I'm starting to feel like it might not be so bad. You will always be able to see the Brains coming, which makes it a bit more avoidable. The Blind Rage actually feels a bit more like a handicap, since if they get away from your makeshift zombie, it's going to take a lot of damage. Still might be a bit overpowered though, since you can get at least eight of them on one Priest, and with a Mass Frenzy you're looking at ten and five damage attacks. I'm going to keep testing this one.

Sacred Shroud: Haven't used it myself, but it did some really good work for Pawn. Armor 2 and Heal 2 on a roll of three seems really good. Definitely going to put some pressure on this one.

wereviper, Flaxative and Pawndawan like this.
  2. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Great, thanks. I think most of the fine-tuning on these cards will happen when we get a larger playtesting cohort going, but it never hurts to collect this kind of data whenever possible.

Spark of Undeath has another use, by the way, which is to deal ~8 damage at end of round to anyone with an empty hand. It's incredibly versatile, and possibly too powerful for sure. It's "pushed," as is the Sacred Shroud. I expect to have to tweak them at some point in this process :)

Pawndawan likes this.
  3. Melancthon

Melancthon Ogre

Ohh, hadn't thought of using it on the opponent, thanks Flax!

Inquisitor's Bolt: I can definitely see this card causing some confusion and frustration. Since the game does not differentiate between cards created by form cards and cards that come from normal items there are going to be times when you aren't playing a form at all and still get half your hand revealed and take boosted damage. No idea what you would do about this, but I thought I would throw it out there.

4. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

This is intentional - the cards are supposed to become associated with the forms. (Whether or not it's GOOD is another question but unless it's problematic I'm for it for now.)

5. CT5

CT5 Guild Leader

For what it's worth / as a note to other testers, the following cards all seem to be working properly:

Fleet (haven't tested Fleet's armor against terrain, but if it uses the same code as Warding Lance, then it should work)
    Warding Lance
    Daylight
    Dervish / Wind Dancer

EDIT: Unrelated, but Vengeance feels pretty darn good. I think I'd like to drop its damage down to 7. (I'm comparing it to old step-2 Vicious Thrust (except you can't use it as a move, but multiple Vengeances will let you move really far when hit...).)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  6. Melancthon

Melancthon Ogre

I'm thinking Sacred Shroud should probably only trigger against enemy damage. So many good Priest buffs do one or two damage, which can end up being a mini-Team Heal if when it triggers.

wereviper and Flaxative like this.
  7. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Good call.