[SP] Which adventures do you avoid?

Discussion in 'Adventure Discussion and Strategy' started by wavy, Nov 7, 2014.

1. wavy

wavy Thaumaturge

For me, it's definitely the two Shrines - the only time I'll play them is when the Fairy is there. I don't know if they were changed with the recent patch or whether they're still as annoying. Is there anyone who plays them regularly or do you think that they're too time-consuming to be worth it? Any good build suggestions would be welcomed!

After that, Yellow Dragon and High Mountain Pass seem to be ones I don't often play - Swamp King used to be hard work, but I've managed to cobble together a fairly reliable build for that one now.

I've got the original Treasure Hunts, but not the AotA hunts - from the feedback I've seen, I can't see me playing them too much.

2. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Both Shrines definitely, Troll King and Blizkenripper too. High Pass and the Wyrms are no favourites either.

3. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

I don't like doing the geomancer treasure hunts. Many of the maps are too large for Firestorm, don't have clear line of sight for Flash of Agony, and the geomancers themselves are semi Volcano proof with Hovers in their decks. It's hard to attack them with melee characters too because of Rockfall.

4. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

2 elf warriors and an elf priest packed with MF. Use Elvish Scamper (ignores terrain) and a couple team runs on everyone. But it still takes an annoyingly long time.

peonprop likes this.
  5. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

The astral guardians were changed recently, but I haven't played them since to see if they're more or less annoying than before.

EDIT:
    I've now played the new guardian modules. Shrine seems a bit easier, especially the first map now that the pawns have only melee attacks, but Return seemed a bit harder due to enemies having perfect starting positions (I recommend bringing Volcano to convince them to move).

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  6. Drakkan

Drakkan Ogre

Well, here is an interesting one -> Valley of Tezkal ;)

I had soo much trouble the first time I've played it.. probably as it was just lvl7 and i had no items.. and those flying Wyrms seemed soo strong.. my party could never reach VP in time etc etc.. so after that, I havent played it for 6 months up until yesterday's Loot Fairy there.

Then -> Shrines .. although prenerf, one of Shrine maps was easy with firestorms.. you hide, wait for Resistant Hide and kill them all.
    And then Troll Hunters + Elder Mind.

Anyway -> for those who found Yellow Dragon and Blitzkenripper hard .. those are really not that hard. I've been farming them for months (until I realized that I rarely get anything worth from those farmings).. a

For Yellow Dragon you can use my build on forum, topic tagged with [Farming] (I dont remember losing single Battle with it),
    and for Blitzkenripper .. someone posted a really nice deck .. first 2 maps were easy (especially 2nd with Volcano) .. and then, you put armor removal on Wizard, and use Nimbuses to protect Warrior with Obliterating Bludgeons.. Sometiems you lose on that 3rd map, but it's ok ..
    (and all 3 maps there are generally slow.. )

7. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Unless I'm going for a specific item range, I avoid anything slow. (Most of those mentioned above.) When farming for gold, the most chests per hour wins because there is no bonus for item level. Its all about effort versus reward. When hunting the loot fairy, I'll play about anything except the 18s (I still hate the 18s) - but that's a different matter.

8. doog37

doog37 Hydra

Astral Guardians

9. Mr. Magnifico

Mr. Magnifico Thaumaturge

I mean, I know I'm supposed to, but I find the war monkeys frustrating. I know how to beat them and I can if, say, the Loot Fairy is there. But I avoid those adventures most of the time. I am especially thinking of the map with the two one-square victory zones in diagonally opposite corners of the map. Last time I did it I wound up with the one surviving monkey in one corner and one of my guys in the other. The rest of my team had to spend several turns slogging across the map to finish off the last monkey. (Dorfs are slow.)

10. Drakkan

Drakkan Ogre

I had the same problem at the beginning .. you can try Volcano .. its very good vs Monkeys .. and it will move monkey out of VP..

11. Balor

Balor Lizardman Priest

Astral Guardian are actually very easy and straightforward now - almost any strategy works.

Monkeys were a nuisance before, but the new and improved Simian Reflexes makes me skip them unless the Fairy is there.

Sir Veza likes this.
  12. Never really minded the monkeys—hey, at least they're interesting—but wyverns annoy the bejeezus out of me. They're not even especially difficult to beat; they just fly around being big jerks with wings (and health, and armor, and mobility, and range) until you finally manage to wear them down. Even with Volcano, it always feels like a grind.

13. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

That's what Path Of Knives is for.

Sir Veza, Pawndawan and raffishtenant like this.
  14. Happenstance

Happenstance Thaumaturge

Just had 'fun' with the last two levels of Wyverns redoing the no deaths quest. Settled on two human fighters loaded with stab attacks, movement, grounded plate and those tokenless double shimmer aura boots. One mage loaded with anti-armour, shimmer boots, resistant hide and path of knives, as Kalin noted. The only way that will lose in no deaths is if one character fails to draw any armour for about four turns, because boy do those wyverns like slamming armourless characters.

Sir Veza likes this.
  15. Thanks for pointing out what should have been obvious, Kalin. I just retried Cliffs with three of these guys, and the carnage was actually kinda glorious.

(I'd also never realized how comical Path of Knives could be in conjunction with Crude Plates. One of the babies took seven backward hops in a row.)

Wyrmbane
    Level 18 Dwarf Wizard

Sir Veza and Pawndawan like this.
  16. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

You may want to check out this.

Sir Veza, raffishtenant and Farbs like this.
  17. Mirkel

Mirkel Goblin Champion

Whoa, whoa, whoa .. why did they buff Simian Reflexes that much? That's insane. They used to be annoying but not very hard but I could see them being both annoying and hard now.

18. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

My theory is: They enjoy being jerks.
    It may also have had something to do with leagues, but that's probably just an excuse.

19. Slinking

Slinking Kobold

At lower levels, since I haven’t finished the single player campaigns yet, I find all the free campaign levels 10 to be difficult (Garnet Demon, Viscous tombs). The level 11 and 12 Goblin campaigns are easier.

To elaborate, those imps in the Garnet Demon level is f** annoying. They outclassed my mages and are almost uncatchable. I think I eventually beat that level by using a priest and camp healing.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  20. Bluemage

Bluemage Hydra

The monkeys. Definitely the monkeys.

Slinking, do you have any robes with resistant hide? If your mage has that, most of the imps literally can't harm the mage.