Nostalgia for ordinary Card Hunter items

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Jarmo, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Do you remember the time when you started to play Card Hunter and an item like Heirloom Assegai (level 4 common weapon) was an exciting addition to your inventory? When getting a second White Oak Staff (level 3 common staff) was cause for a minor celebration or a Clouded Healing Ring (level 12 common divine item) got heavy use in your build?

Sometimes I look back on those days and feel kinda wistful. The land of Cardhuntria lay largely unexplored in front of my party of adventurers. Who knew what terrors and pleasures lay in wait around the next dungeon corner or the shattered remains of a golden chest?

The world was new, the scent of high adventure was fresh on the alluring morning wind. There was treasure everywhere.

What items excited you when you had never even heard of Nimble Strike? What great find made your heart beat faster when a Whirlwind had never sullied the souls of your brave compadres? Which piece of equipment made you smile every time you saw it on your character when a Firestorm or a Volcano had never crisped the short hairs off of your elven wizard?

2. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I remember being super into penetrating attacks... and anything with short spark.

And hey, we're getting new cards and new items soon, so we get to start the process all over again, right? Right? >_>

p.s. peasant

3. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

4. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Ooh, yeah, good ones! I remember my first Hefty Stout Club. I felt like such a bad dude wielding it. It even looks really dangerous. It reminds me of some clubs in "Asterix and the Goths".

5. ElShafto

ElShafto Goblin Champion

I got my first Epic, Keen Baselard, very early and my original warrior abused that weapon. Even when I didn't fully understand the Dodge rules.

6. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

7. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Kalin, I used Heavy Wooden Shield almost exclusively for most of the campaign. Your other items ring bells also, except Storm Circlet. I didn't dare use Firestorm, it would have hurt my precious adventurers! Oh, how the times have changed for me.

ElShafto, you used the "card" tag and not "item" so your Keen Baselard link doesn't work.

8. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

Pengw1n and Flaxative like this.
  9. Dakmor

Dakmor Mushroom Warrior

Blazing Shortsword. An amazing Epic drop from a level 5 quest. Carried me super duper far into the campaign. Just wish I could get another.

10. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Yeah, something awesome like that dropping early would stay with your party a looongg time. I happened to get the Legendary Chartwell's Amulet and the Epic Rod Of Palver Pree quite early. They served me well for pretty much the whole campaign.

11. Lockon

Lockon Mushroom Warrior

The hand of Melvelous. My first... what was it in the beta? Epic or legendary? Whatever, I loved that thing, made my dwarven priest a beast in my first runthrough, she got me through so many fights by herself it wasn't even funny. And, lo and behold, first time I play after the beta ends, I get my beloved gruesome trophy back.

I'm still somewhat disturbed that that hand is something I used so often. I mean, I'm as Lawful Good as they come, with only some slight Neutral Good leanings.

And, Lockon is back. Still need to re beat the campaign, and I heard that new SP content was on its way, so I'll be snooping around again. Lots of new faces since I got distracted though.

Farbs likes this.
  12. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

13. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

Heirloom Assegai - I'm still using it when doing those reduced level quests :p
    But yes, only 2 months ago I hadn't thought about completing a single adventure twice and were always so short with gold that i didn't keep (almost) any items in inventory - sold all that I didn't use XD
    (Including ALL Arcane items, Arcane skills, Robes and Staves since I didn't use any mages.)
    Old Adzes were my fav weapons :D and I was using a Soothing Relic for a long time =) although I understood that Hand of M. was so much better but it was my only legendary until I first reached 1600 rating a few weeks later lol.
    I almost sold it when some better items appeared in shops, but opted to sell my 3(!) copies of Sharp Shells instead at some point.
    Old good times :)

14. This thread is great. I would feel that same sense of wonder now if there wasn't an inherent funnel of mandatory/overpowered abilities and instead, a balanced collection of items each presenting unique strengths and weaknesses.

15. Avarice

Avarice Goblin Champion

Of *course* it's gotten to where everyone is using a handful optimum items. If the item balance were a little different it would be a different handful of items, but it'd still just be a handful.

Pilgrim, don't take this as an insult or a putdown -- you frequently sound burned out these days.

Pilgrim Bailey likes this.
  16. Hey Avarice, no offense taken at all. I still love the game. I probably am burned out at waiting for balances, or hoping that there would be a bigger spread of usable items, completely fair to point out. I'm the last of my group of friends hanging on, hoping some good new changes are on the way.

Flaxative likes this.
  17. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Hopefully if the game gets revitalized a bit, your buddies will come back :)

Pilgrim Bailey likes this.
  18. Lockon

Lockon Mushroom Warrior

Well, there will always be meta, just the nature of card games in general. There will always be decks that are just straight up better than others, the key for good meta is that there is a sizable number of decks that are evenly matched against each other. Like, if you can name at least 5 different builds that are even, you've got at least a DECENT meta.

Besides, this is still the early days of the game, once we get our first major update post-release of new items and cards, we'll see some shaking up.

19. No one says there won't be metagaming. As always, I have this discussion like 500x per week. Games with successful competitive mp work on balancing the game. There may be better decks and worse decks. That's really not a valid or interesting point that adds anything to the conversation. Balance is a scale. If something is greatly out of balance, its not equivalent to something being a numerical +1 on a 100 pt scale.

20. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge