Multiplayer Board Submissions

Discussion in 'Custom Scenarios and Boards' started by Stexe, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Yes, I understand your position. Neutralizing the initial advantage is your aim. All I'm saying is 'don't place the burden wrt cards on the board designer'. It is difficult to realistically design starting zones taking a multitude of 'swingy' cards into account and still maintain enough screen real estate to cater to a variety of screen sizes (compare tuknir's ss and yours), barring other design challenges. Shift that burden to the items and cards. That's where the design space is and its easier to neutralize first turn advantage here than on the board design. Realistically from the standpoint of the designer, he/she isn't going to take loner into account cos it exists on 6 items. If it were on 600 high level mp items, then the devs/playerbase would act to ensure boards did not penalize the usage of 600 items. Makes sense ?

Don't agree but this is just difference of opinions, not going to digress.

2. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

Yes, but I think there are only a few problem area cards that should be addressed. Loner can be hugely swingy and almost determine the match simply due to starting areas on the map. Nothing else based simply on map configuration will result in 6+ damage due solely to the map start.

However, I don't mention starting line of sight to your own people that can be problematic from Impetuous Blast, because it is only on a single item (Whorl).

3. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

If I can stir the pot a little more, I would note first that Loner causes max 4 damage from your teammates w/o other cards coming into play (Vulnerable, etc.), but then I would add that though Loner is on 6 times as many items as Impetuous Blast, the blast has 3 times the max damage so its effect on an opening turn actually is much stronger. However, both of them combined still are on less than one half of one percent of all the items.

Stexe likes this.
  4. Stexe

Yeah, I meant 4+ damage. I still think moving characters apart is good rule of thumb so they can't also be easily blocked in.

5. Stexe

Okay, I cleaned up Zen_Diagonal a bit more and it should be ready for testing purposes if anyone is interested. I tested it once or twice already, but would like to get some more feedback on it.

6. tuknir

tuknir #3 in Spring PvP Season

Water Cross: a small map with a interesting 4 vp layout

PvP-Water Cross.jpg

Attached Files:

7. Stexe

I like the idea, but I think the side VP's are so hard to get to that if the game ends with 1 person from each team on opposite sides it would devolve into a pass fest.

I'd move the VP on the sides up so they are within 4 movement squares from another VP -- so that doesn't occur. And I'd move start points slightly away from each other so Loner doesn't hit... :-P

8. tuknir

I can try put the vps closer togheter,but it isnt that hard to reach then, they are a ns away :p

9. Stexe

Still problematic unless people run NS... but you know that. :-P

I think all VPs should be within 4 squares of each other so you don't run into pass fests like on Celestial Lions.

10. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Celestial Lions is one of my favorite ranked boards of all time, both to play on and to observe. Very fun and unobvious strategies.

11. Stexe

Until both players have Dwarves alive and on opposite sides of the map and it becomes a pass fest as no one wants to save up movement cards to go and attack the other person.

12. tuknir

Here, a map i just did. it didnt start so big, but had to give some room so no char would reach vp's in a normal movement.

ImO it ended up with a interesting layout

Water H.jpg

Attached Files:

Flaxative and Stexe like this.
  13. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

I'd like to see something that different sometimes in ranked too :)

14. Stexe

I'm thinking of reviving this idea as the maps are getting a bit stale in my eyes. Would love to see some new things to mix it up.

Accent and Flaxative like this.
  15. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Stexe likes this.
  16. Stexe

17. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Pawndawan and Stexe like this.
  18. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

19. Stexe

Non-fixed deck league maps I'd assume will come in the future if this contest is successful. Fixed deck league maps are a lot more work because they need to specifically make cards/monsters with cards.

I have no inside knowledge of future contests, but I can only guess that they wouldn't be opposed to non-fixed league maps eventually.

20. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

No plans ATM, but Stexe is right.