Mauve Manticore Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Custom Scenarios and Boards' started by Pengw1n, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Ector

Ector Hydra

I've just failed thrice at Mauve Manticore 1, Scenario 3.
    No, I'm not going to retry.
    I don't know what idiot designed this, but previously I though I was playing an intellectual game, not a stupid "lucky bot". I can understand the need to avoid the alarms (collect at least 2 move cards to avoid being on the yellow square at end of turn). I can understand the need of drawing enough attack cards to destroy the door (and each card may fail if its armor will activate). I cannot understand why I have to do this all in 3 minutes???
    You think that's funny? That's just STUPID.The game takes time between turns and to discard cards. You force the player to click mouse buttons like a crazy. And even after that, he can win only if he gets lucky.
    You think that's realistic? Heck you, who thinks about reality in a game where items just give you cards that may activate or not despite your wishes?

2. All you need to do is go to settings and change the animation speed to maximum. After you do this, the 3 minutes will be more than enough. Changing the animation settings is a good idea even without this particular scenario.

3. Ector

Ector Hydra

What if I like my animation settings? The visuals of changing cards , the sounds and so on?
    Yes, I know I can beat that scenario. I am just keeping away from such stupid scenarios, since I've always hated blitz, and the blitz depending not on my brain, but solely on luck makes me rage.

4. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I noticed in Mauve Manticore that there's a page of text labeled "Venture Forth" before the description of the first battle. I'm thinking that multiple map submissions that get an entire "issue" for themselves could use this to describe the whole adventure, similarly to what we currently see on module covers. This way we wouldn't have to cram all the backstory and first battle description into a single page. It would also be a great place to give the name of the adventure, since the individual maps have other names and the overall name won't be displayed on the worldmap.

5. So let me get this straight.. you are fully aware that changing the animation settings will make that scenario an auto-win, yet you chose to lose twice just because you like your animation settings? You must really like those settings then. :)

That scenario has a time limit to make it more intense by forcing the player to make quick decisions. It definitely makes sense, although it probably would have worked better with a creature that deals more damage. Regardless of the animation settings, it takes too long to take down that door imo.

6. Forestal

Forestal Mushroom Warrior

Yes, Little Girl, some people set their animation speeds at NORMAL because they have trouble with flashing images-- not to mentio0n that a scenario REQUIRING maximum animations speeds to be playable would certainly defeat the purpose of giving players that "OPTIONS" button in the "Menu" screen....

7. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

I beat it on normal animation with plenty of time... it takes only about 7 rounds (3 to move / 4 to smash, so ~25 seconds per round) unless you're super-unlucky with your attack draws once you get to the door.

8. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

It has happened to me. Get to the door, go six or seven rounds without drawing damage lol.

9. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

If you click anywhere during most animations they instantly complete and the game continues. You shouldn't need to adjust your animation speed to complete that scenario.

10. First of all, it doesn't require maximum settings.

Secondly, anyone who gets an epilepsy attack playing card hunter with slightly increased animation settings, should probably stop playing video games altogether.

Thirdly, I do agree that all scenarios should be possible to finish with any animation setting.

11. I didn't even get to Manticore 1, Scenario 3 ... the 2nd Scenario was ridiculous enough that I lost interest.

The rest of the game -- even Mauve Manticore 2 -- is far more enjoyable than Scenario 2, so far. I can't imagine, from reading what you have to do to succeed at Scenario 3, that I'd enjoy it any more ... definitely not up to the same overall quality as the rest of the game.

12. Ector

Ector Hydra

How did you beat Mauve Manticore 3, scenario 3? I've tried several times, but failed.

13. tuknir

tuknir #3 in Spring PvP Season

I did it at the 4 try, can be tricky

some tips:
    -focus on killing a demon really fast
    -if you draw nimbus, maybe its a good idea to wait for contagion,so all your team gets nimbus
    - Try hit all demons with the 6 dmg rooks atk
    - Try lure then near the dragon, so they get hitted also from the dragon atks
    -pray Ai does something stupid

Flaxative and LeisureSuitLoli like this.
  14. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

Wow, totally missed this until now, but everyone - please refrain from calling someone an idiot because you didn't like their scenario (or for anything on here, really). That was awhile ago but the sentiment applies regardless.

15. Shoe

Shoe Mushroom Warrior

I have tried to beat Mauve Manticore #1 mission #2 like 20 times and I get close, but i can never win it...how the Eff do you win at that?!?!?

16. Squidy

Squidy Hydra

If it is the one with all the priests in the house as I think it is, that's my favorite manticore scenario. And it's actually pretty easy.

Forget about the south two doors large entrance. Leave the female and the dwarf to the defense of their respective door. For the two on south, put the elf next to the undefended door on the right and the human in the middle of the room. The human will help whoever needs then will most likely move on the right with his fellow elf in reinforcement. When a door breaks, move the assigned guy on it's spot. Hold position till you have enough points.

17. Gerry Quinn

Gerry Quinn Goblin Champion

There are several ways to win in the four priests scenario. Personally I cluster them near the west door. Putting them in a T-shape seems to reduce the number of chops the enemies get in, but you may have to move around strategically. Try to stay alive (you are priests after all!) and kill six that come to you. Sometimes the big ogre helps you - he is generally more dangerous to the enemies than to you.

18. Gerry Quinn

Just beat 3-3 on the third attempt. I had a bit of luck - first turn Rockfall kept the demons bottled up and allowed my warrior to get in and kill Acid Dude. After that I had decent attacks and another Rockfall and killed them all reasonably fast. Needs a bit of luck and opportunism.

[BTW - I tried to post a few times recently, and Internet Explorer isn't working at all for me - I'm logged in, but when I post it says "you need to be logged in to do that".]

19. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Gerry, use the forum address with "http" at the front, not "https". The "s" one is bugged and will not work reliably. Reports here, here and here.

20. Gerry Quinn

Thanks Jarmo, if this gets posted the problem is solved!

[Edit: Yup!]