Continually unable to post responses to threads

Discussion in 'Support' started by Pilgrim Bailey, Feb 7, 2014.

1. I keep having issues being unable to post responses to currently existing threads for 2 days. I've reset my cookies. Anyone have suggestions as to how to fix this?

2. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Are you getting logged out - or what's actually happening?

3. "
    "The following error occurred:

You must be logged-in to do that."
    I am then detected as logged out and immediately logged out for some reason.

4. As I'm logged in, and my account shows as logged in the upper right-hand corner, when I press send to respond to a thread in the general discussion or deck discussion forum (not sure about the others), it keeps telling me you must be logged in.

5. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

6. I get automatically and randomly logged out about 10 times a day when using these forums. It never happens with any other website or forum, so there is clearly some kind of a technical issue. I use Chrome.

7. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Hasn't happened to me, Fwiw. Using Chrome.

EDIT: In light of symptoms described below, to clarify, I leave the forums open in a tab basically all the time and I've never experienced this.

8. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

I get logged out while trying to respond perhaps once a week.

9. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I get logged out a lot if I leave the forums open. If I close the tab before that happens then restore it later, I'll still be logged in.

10. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

When you guys get logged out, is it when the forum has been open untouched for let's say an hour or more? Maybe the forum automatically logs you out after a certain period of inactivity?

I post a lot and I've never had this problem either on Firefox or Chrome. I open the site, read and write and go away, I don't leave the site idle. Maybe that prevents the problem?

11. Yea, leaving the page open is probably what causes it because I do that a lot, although I could swear that it happens while I'm typing as well. Maybe if I have multiple tabs open, each of them causes automatic logging out if I don't touch them?

The reason why I find this weird is that there's the "stay logged in" checkbox when you login that is not working how it should be. My theory is that the forums were coded this way because Alerts get updated even if you are idle. So even though I'm afk, my browser page keeps sending requests to the server, and if everyone did it, there could be performance issues.

But whatever the reason is, it's really annoying.

12. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

I think just typing a response is not enough to keep the page active. Nothing is sent to the web server while you type, not until you post the message. A refresh request is needed and these happen when you press any button fetching new data from the server or refresh the page.

13. Yes, of course. I've done some web design so I know how it works but I explained it poorly. What I meant was that I've had logouts happen while I'm responding to topics. For example if I reply to a topic and write the message for 5-10 minutes, during that time I will be logged out and get the same error that Pilgrim Bailey posted earlier. I don't think the inactivity system should kick in so fast. And this thing sometimes happens multiple times during one hour.

14. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Ok, yeah, the timeout definitely shouldn't be that fast. Sounds like there's something more complicated going on.

15. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

I don't leave the forums open. I've also seen the logout happen during the 5-10 minutes it takes me to type a response, and sometimes it just happens while I'm clicking around to view different threads.

16. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Another random idea: Could it be related to cookies? Do you guys allow them? I do.

17. I've not been able to post for a few days, but if this goes through, I took the https off of the link...

*Update - my old forum link had https at the beginning, apparently there are technical issues to using this that caused my issues, so simply editing the link to forums.cardhunter has fixed it for me, knock on wood, as of now

18. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

Something I just noticed - if you receive emails notifications, these contains "https://" links.

I mostly disabled email notifications a while ago, so I now receive them with approximately the same frequency as spontaneous logouts (~once a week). I just correlated a spontaneous logout with clicking on such an email link, and will keep an eye out for this behavior in the future.

Flaxative likes this.
  19. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

The forum has suddenly started to hate me. It logs me out about four five times, every single time I post today.

20. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

When you post, does the web address in your browser start with "https" (note the "s", that's the significant bit)?