How are cards drawn?

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by Erroll, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Erroll

Erroll Kobold

Hi,

Relatively new player here. More of a Beer and RPG guy then a Pizza and RPG guy but its all good.

Is there any logic behind what cards are drawn? I see my cards organized into rows and cards come from different categories of items. It seems when I play I get jammed with non-combat cards a lot even though the majority of my cards, particularly with some characters, are attacks.

Are all the cards tossed into the pool then drawn along with one base move or is there more logic to it such as "one from weapons, one from armor, etc".

Thanks. I am really trying to figure out how to increase the odds of any given draw having a variety of the things I need on any given turn.

I looked around and in the wiki but found nothing on this subject which leads me to believe its just a big pile of cards plus a racial move.

2. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

You draw one racial move card every turn (not from the deck), and 2 random cards from your deck. Having a trait heavy deck (since they draw other cards on play), is usually a good tip if you want to constrain your deck size a bit.

Also, since you always draw one racial move per turn - a lot of people avoid adding moves to their decks at all costs (if they're not looking for mobile builds), as all other move card enters the random pool.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  3. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

There are a few ways to ensure your hand is more useful:

1) Better equipment contains fewer "dead" or "useless" cards. Check the shops or replay old campaigns to get more (and hopefully better) loot.

2) Advanced: "Drawbots" are priests dedicated to helping your other characters draw more cards. Check out this build for an example.

3) Another technique is trait cycling, which is most common on wizards. Traits are cards which are played automatically when you draw them and then replace themselves with the top card from your deck. Many appear to be drawbacks, like Vulnerable, but are actually quite manageable. This build demonstrates the principle quite effectively.

4) Finally, it's good to pass quite often instead of advancing towards the enemy, so that you can draw into good cards. Don't worry about discarding something that isn't useful anyways. (Of course, if you wait too long for the perfect hand, you'll probably already be in a bad situation.)

4. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

I'm not sure your basic question got answered.
    • Each character has their own deck which is a big pile of all the cards that come from all the items that character has equipped.
    • That deck is shuffled.
    • Each round, each character gets their default move card (Walk, Run or Dash) plus two cards from their deck.
    You can get screwed by drawing cards you don't want or need that round. The only way around this is to try to build your deck more efficiently (as Pengw1n and neoncat outlined) or just do the best you can and hope to draw better cards next round.

5. Erroll

Erroll Kobold

Thanks guys.

I am still in "explore" mode with this game so have not been looking at other people's deck builds. Very much "hey, Trog armor sucks, what do I have to deal with that?"

I will give more thought to creative use of the traits.

Is there a sorted view of what cards a character has in a deck? Right now its just a big jumble.

6. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

It's just a big jumble in the game views.