GY's Thoughts

Discussion in 'Castle Mitternacht Playtest' started by Gingrich Yurr, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Gingrich Yurr

Gingrich Yurr Thaumaturge

Test username: Gingrich Yurr

Games so far: 4

First game: Walpurgis Spam vs Adajon42

I played a Walpurgis spam deck with three times of the priest shown above totaling 27 Walpurgis Nights, as I was afraid it would be too powerful in disrupting games and devalue deck building, especially with how many you can pack on a single priest. I spammed Walpurgis right off the blocks and continued doing that so I have no idea what deck Adajon was using. Whenever I was in a disadvantageous position or when the forms wore off I used Walpurgis again. After much chaos he eventually won, but I found out that people probably won’t use a Walpurgis spam deck as it is simply too random and doesn’t give the user any advantage at all, so we won’t have to worry about that. It could be useful in smaller quantities to disrupt, but at large numbers, definitely not a feasible build.

Second game: Burfft against KKarma

I used a burfft deck to see how well it would compete against the new cards. Not very well. KKarma was using using two Talented Healer Vampires and a Spirit wizard. First turn I didn’t get any burfft cards, and it all went downhill from there. KKarma drew Ethereality Form, and so I ahd to use all the Fireballs against the other two vampires, but they healed it back with vamp attacks. They had plenty of movement and I didn’t draw enough Telekinesis. Eventually KKarma won through VP camping and killing one of my wizards. Overall I would say Ethereality Form is really powerful, stopping burst, linear, etc. as well as handicaps like Travelling Curse. The wizard was basically invincible during that battle. Wizard’s main threats are other wizards and with these attack types gone, the only real way to damage them would be to use control cards to move them closer to your warriors or just using the more powerful single target attacks like Mega Laser or Obliterating Spark. Vampires are also really strong especially Vampires Kiss which heals an insane amount.

Third game: Burfft against TimedTesting

Same party as above.

Used burfft again this time in a more open map. TimedTesting was using a human wizard, dwarf priest and a human warrior. I’m not sure what kind of build he had to be honest. His Warrior was packed full of movement as well as Vanguards and Wind Dancers. His priest didn’t do much and his wizard was the main damage dealer with terrain attachments. This time the luck of the draw was with me and I threw all the Fireballs and Radiation Bombs I had at him. At one point his priest got turned into a zombie by the radiation bomb which was quite interesting, and in fact may have won me the game as he had too little movement, before that he was going to corner my wizard. One potential bug was that Spin Around triggered Wind Dancer but not Vanguard. That is all.

Fourth game: Movement Dwarfs vs TimedTesting

Okok

Level 1 Dwarf Warrior

Grikgrund

Level 1 Dwarf Warrior

Zhufbar

Level 1 Dwarf Warrior

I used this deck to see how good Vengeance is and made sure my dwarves had plenty of movement besides. It worked pretty well, Vengeance really makes your opponent contemplate whether to attack you or not. Two at once allows you to move behind an enemy too. It is really way too powerful, either the ability to move should not stack or change it to move one. Even the wizard dared not to attack the warrior as he had two Vengeances as well as a Sparkling Cloth Armor and could close the gap between them. Another thing to note, Wind Dancer can be good in a right deck. TimedTesting’s warrior had lots of movement, and accumulated 4 Unreliable Blocks. I decided not hit him with my dwarf and risk losing a powerful attack. I think it is good as temporary protection for one turn, sort of a pseudo Impenetrable Nimbus, but it takes too much work for it to be effective.

I'll come back to edit as I test more.​

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    Flaxative and 40c_rudy like this.
  2. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Hey if you test more, just make a new post in this thread, thanks!

I've got you at 4 games so far.

Gingrich Yurr likes this.
  3. Gingrich Yurr

Games so far: 5

Fifth game: Bejeweled Elves vs tmzerozero

Just wanted to see how effective Cult of the Bejeweled would still be after the expansion and played three times of the warrior above. Unfortunately, tmzerozero was also running Bejeweled Shortswords on two dwarves as well as a control dwarf wizard. He did use some Mitternacht items though in his build. Eventually it was a tight win for tmzerozero as his dwarves outlasted my elves. Overall I think his Mitternacht items didn’t really play a huge role in the game, such as Antimagic Skin which was pretty useless against my warriors and his Wind Dancer as his dwarves didn’t have that much movement. This is probably what battles will be like when Mitternacht is first released with people slowly building up their collection and adding items to existing builds, before trying all new builds altogether. That’s probably about it, didn’t have too much time today to test more games.

Flaxative likes this.
  4. hello world

hello world Hydra

Tbh the having two parries and that amethist attack that does 8 when blocked was the thing that made me come out of hide in the last turn even if I had 3 life vs. your 1, so snitrick's last stand might be a cool weapon for goofing around, at least.

5. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Thanks Gingrich, I've got you at 5 games!

6. Gingrich Yurr

When I saw the severe nerf to Boo! I knew I had to test it out.

Prankster
    Level 2 Dwarf Wizard

Poltergeist
    Level 1 Elf Wizard

Positioning
    Level 1 Human Wizard

6th game: Boo! versus Khyle345 with two vamps and a wizard.

The build was designed to have as much Boo! as possible. Well predictably I lost though it was closer than I expected, considering how little damage I had. I managed to get to 5 victory points before Khyle won.

Anyway who cares about the game, I want to talk more about about Boo! I think it its current form it is quite unplayable. There were hardly any moments where backs were turned to me and even if they were Boo didn't do much use in the situation. Either they had already ran out of attacks anyway or the Dash would get them out of danger areas. I would have much rather gotten in an unblockable attack to the back than Boo them. Boo is mainly a reactive card so many of its uses are gone now that you must be behind the target. The best time to use Boo is when the target has attacks and is ready to attack you. Wizards most likely won't get Booed since they will be farther away and will be facing the action. Enemy Warriors or Vamps that move to engage one of your characters will most likely be facing whoever has Boo too, especially the target. The point is there will almost never be a time when backs are turned to your wizard or wizards with Boo. And when one of those rare moments pop up, it is not a suitable time to use it.

I don't know what to do about it. I really don't. Maybe I'm not using it right but as it is I don't think it is Silver quality.

7. Fry_The_Guy

Fry_The_Guy Lizardman Priest

I think Boo! might be playable, if when casting from the front it did push back 1 and reverse the character's direction (basically the same as if they moved away from you). This way you still can at least get paper quality control out of it when forced to, is still thematic, and because it changes the players direction, if they cannot turn towards you again allows you to cast a full value Boo! on them afterwards.

8. Gingrich Yurr

I think that is possible but it might be hard to put all that onto a card text onto a card without making it look too cluttered since it would have two different effects in different situations.

9. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Thank you for all your help with the Castle Mitternacht playtest.

Unless you posted more in another thread (in which case, sorry I missed it), I have you at 6 games.

You will receive 1 Epic Mitternacht chest when this content is released.