Get More Stuff: Changes are Coming to the Card Hunter Economy

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Jon, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Vakaz

Vakaz Guild Leader

The Final Doorman did say "rather than resetting quests", so it's definitely not triple dipping. And I'm not sure off the top of my head exactly what/how many items quests currently give, but the changes definitely make them more rewarding. So at best it's something like 1 and a half dipping :p

The idea I posted earlier in this thread was to give out epic chests for every x completed amount of quests, but I'll admit doorman's idea is a little cleaner.

2. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

Ah okay. I remember asking neoncat (someone who has completed all the quests) what it would take as a bonus to have them all reset. And he was very hesitant to say he'd do it for 1 Mag Chest each. He'd definitely do it for 1 Epic chest each.

Either way, I think it should just be optional. Completionists who don't want items can keep it completed while others who want items for the challenge can ask for a reset. Seems like a win-win to me. Granted, I wouldn't turn down more chests, but it doesn't seem needed one way or another.

3. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

Yeah, an epic chest would definitely get me to redo quests. Magnificent chests not so much (esp. when Randimar/Daily has everything). I'd have to think about it if it was mag chests for each quest, plus an epic for completing all on a particular adventure.

4. NobleHelium

NobleHelium Kobold

Can we get an official word on what the quest reset policy/functionality will be?

5. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

No, then it would not be possible to reset quests anymore. And it wouldn't even be double-tipping since soon quests start offering a lot better rewards.

6. doog37

doog37 Hydra

Outside Vegas you have to pay extra for triple dipping, but it is not unheard of... Oh wait never mind!

7. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

I would assume you can only get a reset ONCE per account. I'm still unsure about the whole thing though...

I'd still like them to REMOVE all of the old quests from the game and give us new quests.

8. hatchhermit

hatchhermit Hydra

I don't want them to remove anything in mass like that. If there was another tier of quests that open up when you finish the first batch, then that would be cool.

9. Black Raven

Black Raven Hydra

Having read previous postings regarding the economy of Card Hunter and taking other poster’s ideas on board I think BM should offer the following for club membership options:

· Time base club membership (as per normal)

· Keys that unlock club membership on a per use basis. Buy a single key with pizza to unlock one club membership chest or bundle of keys to unlock club membership at your own convenience.

· Keys that unlock a predetermined number of club membership chest. Purchase a 250 club membership consecutive chest unlocks with no time limit imposed.

The different options caters for players in different situations. Players with limited time each day and want the additional loot may purchased the predetermined number of club membership chests. While other that are only interested in certain epics or legendary may purchase one use keys. Last but not least, players who have time on their hands may purchase a time based membership.

In addition, to make club membership more attractive how about increasing the loot drop from the club membership chest be at least as good as the rarity of the highest rarity drop from the adventure’s chest. In this instance, if you get a Legendary from the adventure’s chest, you will be guaranteed a Legendary from the club membership chest.

In terms of reset, I think BM should offered a free one-off reset to everyone with subsequent resets purchasable with pizzas.

j3st3ri likes this.
  10. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

-OK
    -One use keys have the problem of cherry picking which items you want, if the price is too low it makes no sense to buy membership UNLESS you do volumes of chests; if the price is to high people will either not pay or get 1 month membership instead.
    -Multi-use consecutive keys would limit gameplay somewhat. As in, if you bought the 250 consecutive keys you would limit your activities to loot fairy/MP ladder chests only to get the most out of it. Admittedly, that's all I do anyways but it would be irritating if I wanted to try a Nudie Run or something .

What I don't like about a pizza reset quests button, is the idea of grinding all the good quests, resetting and grinding all the good quests again. Oy. This is giving me a headache.

Stexe likes this.
  11. hatchhermit

hatchhermit Hydra

This is the part I like about your suggestion. It could even NOT apply to the Loot Fairy chest and I would still like it. I agree with Jade when it comes to the other stuff.

12. Black Raven

Black Raven Hydra

Okay, let us look at the overall picture. In addition, I will also address your points.

BM have a player base that makes up of:

1. Players who have purchased club memberships (without buying the basic edition or AotA expansion pack).

2. Players who have never purchased club memberships (irrespective of owning basic edition and/or AotA expansion pack).

Now for players in group 1, would offering alternative club membership options change how (e.g. farming for gold with the introduction of Randimar’s Rarities) and when they play? I don’t believe that will be the case. It is not like BM is changing game play or adding new options (Randimar’s Rarities) in game. Arguably it may change the type of club membership they purchase though.

For players in group 2, I think the options of one off-keys and consecutive club membership offers considerable alternatives and therefore potential revenue to BM. As you state, there will be players who wants to cherry picked their loot. Personally, I see nothing wrong with it, in fact BM may get additional revenue because of it. Then there are players who are time constrained and would prefer the consecutive club membership so that they can play Card Hunter at their own pace without worrying about when their club membership expires.

In addition, for new potential players (tablet / mobile and future steam release) the option of purchasing different club memberships may potentially increase BM revenue as per my previous point.

As you (Jade and hatchermit) states, player may purchase one-off keys if BM priced them too low. As per your suggestions, selling a number of one off-keys in a bundle may be the way to go, for arguments sake say $10 for five unlocks. In the end though, players will still be purchasing pizzas from BM.

In terms of purchasing a number of consecutive club membership unlocks and being irritated if you want to do a nudie run, I concede the point. However, this feeling of irritation I find is probably what is stopping players from purchasing a time based club membership. I find that if I were to purchase a 30 days club membership, there will be days that I potentially will not play Card Hunter therefore not making the most efficient use of my money. Consequently, stopping me from buying the club membership in the first place.

I also agree with your point about resetting quests and grinding all quests again and again. So how about a time lock reset e.g. players can only reset quests once a week rather than purchasable resets?

13. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

Have the Kobolds already been adjusted to drop less treasure?

14. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

15. hatchhermit

hatchhermit Hydra

I know it hasn't and that it's just the law of averages probably working against me, but last time I farmed, which was the week or two before last, I got much less treasure. After a few attempts where I got a couple rare treasure the game went on such a dry spell that I started to think they made some kind of stealth change to it. And this was before the announced changes! Frustrating, but I saw no reason to post about it at the time.

Sir Veza likes this.
  16. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

I remember there was a period of time when I could farm the kobolds and end up with like 30 emerald shards to 1 or 2 ruby shards (which is ridiculous). Not to mention dozens of amethyst/amber shards and some uncommon treasures to sell.
    Later, after the AoTA expansion I found rare treasures were relatively harder to get, and I got more items. I didn't farm as much at this point, honestly but I did get a feeling of change.
    Now I definitely think there is a conspiracy, since my kobolds are dropping little to no treasure, causing me to quit after several runs with only 2-4 gold per level. I could only get three rare items and one uncommon treasure.

When is this change going to be implemented exactly?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
    hatchhermit likes this.
  17. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Not sure exactly when, but it's going to be on the test server along with a number of campaign changes -- hopefully in not too long.

18. Questor

Questor Ogre

I rarely browse the test build section when no new build is deployed, and i guess i am not the only one.
    So i just found today in this thread a quote from boro and i hope others agree with him:

19. NobleHelium

NobleHelium Kobold

Can you elaborate on these campaign changes?

hatchhermit likes this.
  20. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

There'll be an announcement when they're ready. For now you can tease yourselves by following our commit mule on twitter. https://twitter.com/RudolphoCH