Game Running Slow

Discussion in 'Support' started by Zampano, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Zampano

Zampano Kobold

I have been playing Card Hunter for over a week or so now, and starting yesterday it began running incredibly slow. Every aspect of the game appears to be lagging.

I have tried playing at several locations on several networks and it is still slow. Other websites, downloading, uploading, and streaming video are at normal speeds which leads me to believe it is not my internet connection.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Any feedback is appreciated.

I'm running the game in chrome Version 28.0.1500.71

2. Zampano

Zampano Kobold

It would appear the issue lies mainly with Chrome. I downloaded firefox and it seems to be running much smoother.

3. Bradford

Bradford Mushroom Warrior

The game has been running very slow for me since I've downloaded the latest Flash update (I think). I'm going to figure out how to roll back the update and see if that is indeed the problem.

Edit: Indeed it was the latest Flash update causing the problem. Rolled back to last month's version and it's working fine again. I play on Firefox in Windows 7 (64-bit).

4. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

skip_intro likes this.
  5. Zampano

Zampano Kobold

Worked like a charm! Thanks, it was a pain having two browsers open. Still wonder how it happened, was working fine one day and I don't remember updating...

6. SmokyBG

SmokyBG Kobold

I'm also experiencing performance issues since I installed the latest version of Flash (Windows XP 32-bit, latest Firefox); I'll try to investigate it a bit and provide version numbers as soon as I have some spare time.

Edit: Reverting to a previous version did not help; the game runs quite slow (10-15 fps, dipping to 3 when sliding e.g. the main map or the winning screen), and routinely takes up 70-80% CPU on a dual core processor.

Firefox 22.0, Flash versions 11.7.700.232 and 11.8.800.94

7. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Hi, this problem is associated with Flash 11.8.

You can go back to an older version of Flash. Another work-around is to disable lighting in the game via the options.

Stealthy likes this.
  8. SmokyBG

SmokyBG Kobold

The issue also exists with the 11.7 release listed in my previous post (build 232). I just installed the 11.7 build before it (11.7.700.224) and everything is back to normal.
    I can also confirm that disabling lighting in the game also works :)

9. Stealthy

Stealthy Kobold

Not sure if it helps, but the 11.8 lighting issue causes the browser to have massive spikes in CPU usage, which in turn causes the frame rate drops.

10. Fry

Fry Ogre

...but you are intending to fix the game itself when time permits, right?

11. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

We had to switch to a different form of lighting, since pixelbender - the system we used to do the lighting originally - is now performing extremely poorly in recent versions of flash player. The lighting effect will look slightly different in new builds since I've updated the game to use a builtin blend mode for it, but it should perform just as well - if not better - than before.

12. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Yes, this should be fixed in the latest build.