Dragon Rescue (Pending better name ready for input/other testers)

Discussion in 'Custom Scenarios and Boards' started by DrayGon777, Oct 26, 2015.

1. DrayGon777

DrayGon777 Kobold

I've created a little scenario with a concept I had in my head initially, but discovered I couldn't quite do it as I envisioned it. Still, Someone was kind enough to point out a method to still get the concept. I haven't quite decided on a proper name for the scenario, and to be honest, I'm not that great with names. I'm not sure how to upload images for the scenario and as far as I know, I only need to upload the .scn file for people to try it, so if that's not quite the case, I'll update this thread with whatever is needed.

[​IMG]

Basically, I'm looking for input on ideas to make it better, possibly more challenging, and to ensure it's completable. While I did a test run myself, I was successful on my first go, but I also knew how to win it. The scenario is as follows, you're playing as an alabaster dragon (who ends up being named the same as the one in the AotA campaign) that was captured and placed withing a cave under the watch of expert marksmen. Unable to deal with the threat alone, you are happy to discover that your disappearance did not go unnoticed and some of your followers have arrived to rescue you. The goal is to escape without dying or losing too many of your followers, because without them, you can't get past the barriers blocking your escape.

I chose the Alabaster Dragon because it couldn't hit all of the doors on it's own, thus requiring the assistance of the followers, and because it had more HP than the Viridian Dragon. I did notice that the Alabaster dragon did end up a fair bit low on health, but perhaps not low enough to be a risk. The Viridian dragon, however might have died, so I can't be sure without doing some more personal testing of my own, though that may have to wait till tomorrow.

EDIT: Updated scenario and added a variation that's significantly harder. Image is also up, though not with the fixes. Should at least still give the idea of what the scenario will be like.

EDIT 2: Uploaded v3 which has the noKillPoints tag so that I can have it so you can win by just getting the dragon to the victory point. Might end up in a few situations where you lose the dragon and have to wait for the followers to die, or vice versa, but at least it won't punish you for going directly for the goal, or reward you for taking out the snipers. :p

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
    Xayrn and Flaxative like this.
  2. BlackVoidDeath

BlackVoidDeath Guild Leader

Please make a screenshot - some players dont have enough time to download and play the scenario.

3. BlackVoidDeath

I just played through this map, and it was very fun!
    But there are a few changes I can suggest:
    • Change the water doodads a bit.
    • Make it obvious, where the victory terrain is.
    • Add a screenshot - look below - just copy paste if you cant make your own.
    Dragon Rescue.jpg

This last suggestion is quite large -
    1. Take the 2 groups of 4 archers away and replace them with 4 groups of 1 archer boss (whatever his name was)
    2. Add the respawnPeriodTwo tag
    3. Add the respawnFilterNonMinion tag
    4. Add the respawnFilterPlayer1 tag
    5. Add the noMinionKillPoints tag
    6. Set the player's vp target to 5
    7. Set the AI's vp target to 3
    8. Or you can ignore 5-7 and add the noKillPoints tag
    9. Set the player's vp target to 1
    10. Set the AI's vp target to 1 or automatic
    ↑ try these steps out and see if you like it more than the original - if no then leave it as it was before.

4. DrayGon777

DrayGon777 Kobold

Thanks. Screenshot uploaded. As for the water doodads, there didn't seem to be an option for water going in three directions, but I'll look into it some more. I had also made it obvious where the terrain was, but must have forgotten to load the updated map when I re-saved the scenario.

Didn't think about making it harder by using the archer boss. I'm a bit concerned that might be too hard, but I'll give that a shot as well. I'm not where where I go to set up tags, but I'll try to research it as that would allow me to have a win only when the dragon gets to the exit.

EDIT: Might need to change the darters. They have more HP, but get a fair amount of useless step attacks. Also, I'm noting I'm still getting victory points by taking out the boss archers, unless you meant for me to have two of each for each spawn.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  5. Fanturluche

Fanturluche Thaumaturge

To have prettier water tiles, I suggest you put full water squares, then add doodads from the Water palette for the edges.

PS: you should put yellow squares for victory terrain

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  6. DrayGon777

DrayGon777 Kobold

Ok, water tiles prettied up, suggestions tested (and I like the added difficulty, though you can still win if you kill three of the boss snipers. Need to figure out a fix for that while still allowing the AI to win by taking out the non-minion helpers or the dragon itself), Where do you find what tags are available? I might need to take a look at them to see what other scenarios I can make. XD

7. Fanturluche

Fanturluche Thaumaturge

Did you reload the board after editing it? The .scn file includes a copy of the .brd file, and just editing the board is not enough. You need to import the new board to make the change.

8. haesslicherBob

haesslicherBob Lizardman Priest

I played it twice so far:

1: I ignored the archers and focused on the doors. I managed to "rescue" the dragon and put it on the VP. Then I had to wait 5 turns (to get 5 VPs) while my Lizards were slaughtered... --> Loss
    2: I ignored the doors and (my dragon) and just killed one Archer 3 times. This was faster and easier --> Win

It felt odd that play-through 2 resulted in a win and not 1.
    That is why I would like to see VPs only awarded for being on the VP with the dragon (no Vps for killing archers). Consecutively 1 Vp should result in a win.

9. DrayGon777

DrayGon777 Kobold

@ Fanturluche I had thought I did, and re-saved it. Apparently I didn't properly resave it.

@ haesslicherBob Exactly what I would prefer, but I'm not sure how to get it to where killing the enemies do not award points while still allowing them to get points for killing the dragon or your other characters. :(

10. BlackVoidDeath

11. DrayGon777

DrayGon777 Kobold

Ok, this has been here for a while, and I was hoping others might have some suggestions on a better name for the scenario. I'm not the greatest at making up names, and I was also trying to stray away from the dragon's name so as not to make it 'seem' part of the world's lore. Dragon Rescue just seems... generic and uninteresting, but I can't think of a better sounding name for it yet. :(

12. BlackVoidDeath

Blizzy's Briskful Rescue
    Dragon's Dooms Day
    Little Dragon's Liberation
    Blizkenripper, An Unexpected Journey

DrayGon777 likes this.
  13. DrayGon777

DrayGon777 Kobold

Hmmm... I think I like Blizzy's Briskful Rescue. It's descriptive, somewhat lighthearted, without being too silly. :) Thanks.

14. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Briskful might not be a word so I'm not sure about the silly part ;)

15. BlackVoidDeath

Then just:
    Blizzy's Brisk Rescue?
    But that sounds less exiting to me.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  16. DrayGon777

DrayGon777 Kobold

Agreed. For now I'll change it to Blizzy's Brisk Rescue, but I'll keep thinking on a way to make the name better, I suppose.

17. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Rescue Blitz or Blitz Rescue

18. DrayGon777

DrayGon777 Kobold

Thanks, but that's still a bit too similar to Dragon Rescue.