Board Game or Print&Play Version

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by sch4fchen, Apr 29, 2013.

1. sch4fchen

sch4fchen Kobold

Hi
    i wanted to ask if you ll publish all cards, tiles, miniatures etc. online (so it s possible to make a "selfmade print&play" version) or if you even publish a full print and play version of your game?
    (with an human player playing the evil overlord and not with a full "board game KI" for the monsters)
    i know that you don t know yet if there will be a "real" board game version produced... and that this would be far far away ;-)

thank you for a short answer :)
    the game looks very interesting and fun (for me as a board game player ;-)

DainankLoL likes this.
  2. Oni

Oni Kobold

Give it a little time, then Kickstart it if the game is popular. Would probably be your best bet (look at Krosmaster as a guide).

However, you may have to tweak the game a bit for it to work. I can see it being a bit fiddly with the small packs of cards for each item and having to dig through the cards to make your deck every game, then having to resort through each deck when breaking the game back down. A lot of card hunting, but not in the fun way ;)

3. SurgeonFish

SurgeonFish Automaton Moderator Staff Member

This question has been asked a few times. Check back in the future as they decide. Right now they plan to get the game in order for all to play

4. Garm

Garm Kobold

While I'm not so interested in a board game version of CH I would love to be able to print and use the standees. There is an amazing amount of high quality art. Just putting them up for sale with no rules or anything - just standees with the website on the bottom (often on the flap that goes into the base) would be awesome. Individually or as packs would be great.

A board game could be interesting and could certainly come later but there are not enough decent standees out there - despite a fairly large market. If they were uploaded to a place like http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/ then you would be able to showcase this game to a market who may not otherwise look at it. I know that if I ran D&D with these standees most of the people at the table would at least look at the website and sign up but if I just told them about the game (which I have) then far fewer (1 of 5) would take the hook.

This seemed the most highly referenced thread along these lines so I thought I'd resurrect it rather than start again. Hopefully it's something that's being looked at now the game has been released.

*edited to fix typo*

5. Pancakeonions

Pancakeonions Kobold

Man, I joined the forum just to find this thread and post on it! With Richard Garfield giving his blessing to this as a boardgame, it would likely sell well (though maybe not earn as much money as this video game... no idea how the two might compare). Sort of a mash up of the now defunct D&D miniatures skirmish game, and MTG. You buy a starter to get the minis, and buy packs of cards to get new groovy loot. I'd spend far too much money on this in a heartbeat!

I pledged for the Myth kickstarter, and I'm hoping that game when it comes out will scratch that sort of itch. Video games are cool and all, but it's board games that rule!

6. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

OK, so this *Appears*to be the most recent post on this topic... here goes...

I would like to make Card Hunter into a real-life game so that I can take it to my local board game shop on weekends and play it there. My intent is to A: Have fun B: Promote the game and C: spend money making the game and not profit in the least. ;]
    I have picked out 9 36-card sample decks for all of the potential race/class combos. If I print out a board, 222+ cards, some terrain tiles, figurines, character sheets, markers and grab a D6 then I will be good to go. On the plus side Whirlwind no longer exists XD

Now, I love the fantastic art by Ben Lee and was wondering if I could use some of it, mostly for the cards as I have been designing my own figurines and boards. I have looked around but I just want to flat out ask permission so that I am not just copying the designs and upsetting anyone or infringing on intellectual rights. Also, if this idea is met with approval, I would be happy to provide the blueprints for making everything.
    And if this idea is not met with approval, I may have to scorch this post off the face of the earth; but honestly I would still try and make this game a reality, I would just have to make all of the cards myself.

7. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

I would gladly pay for cutout sheets with CH art. :)

8. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Jade303 you are my hero.

9. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

I would suggest you drop Ben a line directly via PM. He tends to be too busy to spend much time on the forums :)

10. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

11. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

Thanks Pengwin! I actually was planning on printing two different cards on each side of the cardstock. With that and some sleeves, it would be really easy to flip over cards and essentially have two different decks printed on those 36 cards.
    I have contacted Ben, and now I guess we will wait and see. With luck, you could be able to print out your very own Card Hunter set in the future... Heck maybe Blue Manchu will decide to take over and sell them instead. Who knows?

Flaxative likes this.
  12. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

If this grows legs and Blue Manchu DOES take over, I hope you are compensated for paving the way for them!

13. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

I will say that it's not like we haven't all talked about it before. But bandwidth with 5 people tends to be tight. :)

Flaxative likes this.
  14. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

PM me if you want to help discuss the problems and solutions involved in making Card Hunter into a real game.

15. Pancakeonions

Pancakeonions Kobold

Sorry for the ancient thread resurrection, but did this go anywhere? I know everyone's busy, but if a few zany, dedicated fans get this urge under their skin... It could be quite cool.

How would we go about getting playing card sleeves made with the Card Hunter logo? That logo is BOSS cool.

Flaxative likes this.
  16. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Oh my goodness yes. I would kill to go around to MtG tourneys with CH card sleeves.

EDIT: http://www.inkedplaymats.com/products/custom-sleeves ?
    We'd just need a high quality version of the cardback.

17. Pancakeonions

Pancakeonions Kobold

I've found some sites that make custom sleeves, so I may have to explore this...

Jade303, if you're around, did you end up making those beginner decks?

18. Pancakeonions

Pancakeonions Kobold

Talk about an awesome use of my Dwarven Forge dungeon tiles, and Reaper Bones minis. (I'm a bit of a kickstarter junkie)

19. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

Do you know what "Double-posting" is ? Because you have just done it. Do a google search and keep that in mind for next time. :)

I made a ton of progress on the project. When I reached the point where I actually had to download every single complete card image one by one... well I was starting to get crazy busy and next thing you know it's now. :confused:
    There was some discussion on a Card Generator. Basically, you would type text input and it would give cards as output, sans the actual cardart (which would have to be individually specified).

I did some cool things though. I planned out some decks, I made some character mats, and found a process for converting isometric boards into square ones you can print.
    I'd still like to get this done. It's just a lot of work! And time spent working on making a board game out of an online game cuts into my online game time.
    I just need a little help/motivation.

Stexe and Pancakeonions like this.
  20. Pancakeonions

Pancakeonions Kobold

Ah, but if there's a worthier topic to double post on, I don't know of it! (and I'm lazy, and spontaneous - by way of explanation, if not apology!)

I'm glad to hear this project didn't totally disappear. Want to send me a list of cards to download (from the wiki, I assume? Just right click and "save as" or something trickier?) and I'll get 'em for ya and zip 'em up? I was also looking into getting sleeves done with the b/w image of the card back (or a color one, if anyone's taken the red dragon CardHunter logo and superimposed that atop the card back image I've seen floating around) - perhaps I could bribe you with a set of those? ;)

Anyway, PM me if you need help or whatnot. I'd really like to see this done and am available to help out if I can!

Sir Veza likes this.