[AotA] Expansion PVP cards discussion and feedback

Discussion in 'Testing' started by Phaselock, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Just noticed Arcing Spark is available on items this expansion as well. Only diff from JS is 1 target more. Both are pretty powerful coupled with Spark traits. imo, upping to 3 blurs the distinction. Both are on 5 items, don't make much of a diff.

small suggestion: hard to block 2 on Arcing Spark ?

Kalin likes this.
  2. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

It's intended to indicate that the card can be blocked, which would prevent the Move effect.

3. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Edited OP with Stone Feet. Tested, armor 1 does not seem like much but its a reliable hide armor that cannot be dissolved, shredded, melted, boiled, acidified. Behaves like a normal attachment.

4. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Yes, so on the other hand, it can be purged or pushed off with other attachments.

Stone Feet is actually pretty useful now, IMO.

neoncat, Stexe and Flaxative like this.
  5. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Played with it a bit in pve. I've favored discarding weak armors whenever SF is attached. I guess the keyword is moderation, armor attachments tend to devalue armors in hand during discard phase. On the upside, purging should get more emphasis.

6. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

Definitely think Stone Feet is viable now. It isn't really a counter to WW/WWE (they still give insane card advantage), but it is definitely an interesting card with some neat tricks (like throwing it on an enemy depending on the situation).

What does "Elvish Scamper" do by the way? I think it is only a single item and I haven't found it.

7. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

It is elvish mobility but three squares of movement.

8. Stexe

Is it the same rarity / color?

9. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Both are uncommon / silver.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
    Stexe likes this.
  10. Oberon

Oberon Hydra

I've been happy with it in testing. Its not incredibly powerful, but I've never been disappointed to draw it, which was the main point in my suggested changes. In a happy coincidence it also encourages proper play of the card. The immovable effect is rather complicated and confusion can keep players from using cards, the added armor effect is a nice nudge for you to get it on your guys early in a round.

The new name makes me laugh, I find myself saying "Tonight you sleep with the fishes" when casting it.

neoncat, Sir Veza and Flaxative like this.
  11. Stexe

I agree, Stone Feet is actually fairly interesting now and definitely a good change in the right direction. I just wish the "power creep" cards followed a similar path of being made more interesting instead of simply better versions of older cards.

Flaxative likes this.
  12. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

I really wish that Varied Combustion (Firestarter/Kindler/Hot Flames) was a level 7-8 Tokenless just like Electroporter Novice (Spark Generator/Spark Inductor/Dimensional Traveller). I don't understand why Inductor is worth 2 points (a bronze - card) while Kindler is worth 3 points. Similarily, Hot Flames should maybe be worth 2 points ; it only ignores armor when it burns, and you can only have max 3 cards which burn at a time...

There are some neat new staffs with fire attacks on them, and who knows, maybe fire attack decks will be good enough as is.

Lockdown Blessing/Stone Feet. The armor 1 is nice but it would have made more sense if it prevented terrain damage instead. Now THAT would be really useful.

Sir Veza likes this.
  13. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

That would go well with the "Stone Feet" theme, and be situationally more useful than Armor 1.

14. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I like the simpler effect because it makes the card more generally playable, which was the whole reason for changing the card.

15. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

As currently modified it goes into my "All Others" pile with Lateral Thinking. YMMV.

16. Stexe

I think it is playable now. Having it ignore terrain damage would move it more into Hover but better-ish.

Definitely a good change.

17. Oberon

Oberon Hydra

Immunity to terrain is interesting, but makes it specifically an anti-wizard card. And oddly, cards that focus specifically against one class don't seem to see much play. The best example I can think of is counter spell, which while excellent against wizards, just doesn't see much use. Short perplexing ray, while weaker against wizards, is the preferred card. Both are the same quality level, but players choose the more generally useful option.

Immovable is primarily useful against wizard effects (though admittedly it has benefits against bash attacks as well), adding additional bonuses only usable against wizards would, in my opinion, create another counter spell type card. We just don't see those being played much at the moment.

Frankly, we also don't see many beneficial enchantment cards being played at all, unless they are traits. Mass frenzy is very strong when you consider it targets everyone (including the caster which is very uncommon) and also doesn't require LOS. Yet no one really complains about the card. Martyr's Blessing is another good example of a powerful attachment. From a power-level perspective I think there's more room with attachments simply because there are a lot of rules limiting their effectiveness. They don't work well with traits, enemy attachments knock them off, various armor cards impact them, other effects can remove them, etc...

18. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

I was thinking that it would be great if you used Volcano (and Whirlwind) as opposed to using it solely against enemy wizards.
    Plus you could do things like set the Victory Squares on fire with Hot Spot/Wall of fire, just to step onto the VP yourself and cast Earthen Blessing a little while later.

19. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

What is "Earthen Blessing"? Did you mean "Stone Feet"? The plain old "Bless", "Consecrate Ground", "Smoke Bomb", "Wall of Illusion" or the various Cleansing cards would work, too.

20. Stexe

I complain about Mass Frenzy... :-P (and Martyr's Blessing: https://forums.cardhunter.com/threads/balance-balance-suggestion-list-january-2014.4967/ )

But Priests are generally underpowered so they can get away with pretty OP cards (like Martyr's Blessing) with less people calling for changes. Attachments are difficult due to the large number of them and the fact they can get pushed off easily. The game would be overly complicated if attachments has no limit to the number of attached, so I think a limit is good.

It would be neat to see some cards that interact with attachments or something, like "if an enemy card removes this attachment then X happens" which could be used as some type of buffer. There's a lot of room to explore interesting interactions with buffs that haven't been seen yet.