Announcing the Caverns of Chaos!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Flaxative, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

2. Balor

Balor Lizardman Priest

The Wizard of Yendor will be pleased to hear these news.

Rev_John, karadoc, PDXTai and 3 others like this.
  3. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

4. Magic Elves

Magic Elves Thaumaturge

I can't wait to play co-op and blame my friends for any losses while not letting them move.

3beaner, Fifjunior7, Farbs and 11 others like this.
  5. Ed2088

Ed2088 Kobold

Sounds awesome!

Fortaleza and Flaxative like this.
  6. Wildarm

Wildarm Ogre

!!! Fun !!!

Flaxative likes this.
  7. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Try it! It's more frustrating than a dozen Mauve Manticores!

8. Rohndil

Rohndil Hydra

Looks great! Some screenshots in the test build topics scared me, but from the blog picture I see we're just gonna find a bunch of sweet little maps with trees and cute critters.

9. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Dang. It took some time--a normal amount of development time, of course--and it looks like you folks are delivering on EVERY request that gamers have had since day 1. Mutiplayer, co-op, randomized battles . . . what's left?

Covering the entire map in playable dungeons might be unreasonable (given the development time so far, there might not be enough time in a human lifespan). There is that Rogue class, though . . .

Anyway, this is my way of saying "you're awesome." I saw the notice on the blog and wanted to inform you.

10. Christofff

Christofff Guild Leader

I wonder if Caverns of Chaos can be beaten on a Nudie Run- can't wait to try!

Farbs and Sir Veza like this.
  11. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

Thanks for doing this! :)

Flaxative likes this.
  12. ParodyKnaveBob

ParodyKnaveBob Thaumaturge

I'm definitely curious. The messing around with characters' abilities and so forth really intrigues me as to what in the world's wrong with your cotton'-pickin' mind -- and of course intrigues me to play. $F^ b (Oh.. The Crown is only a treasure? I hate to say I'm disappointed, but uh.. ... ..Well, I guess it's good to know the chests getting there will be chock full of equippables! Plus, y'know, it -is- nice to look at my Jewel Of Alet Zhav now and then. And come to think of it, as if I really expect to get it, ha ha ha ha ha.)

I also wonder if playing this will require another chorus on my song. $:^ D

Sir Veza and seth arue like this.
  13. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

We'll probably need something we can all sing in rounds.

ParodyKnaveBob and Flaxative like this.
  14. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

Nah, [randomized] Manticores are frustrating because they're intended to be balanced (like a puzzle), but often use very imbalanced maps (a single player unit with a large deck with lots of very potent, and lots of very weak cards).
    Moreover, their randomization isn't of the fun kind- it boils down to repeating the same map and circumstances over and over, hoping to get a good draw rather than a lousy one.
    That is the core of the issue, but it was mostly such a frustration because in earlier manticores, the randomized maps featured so prominently later in the map-chain, meaning that pure luck could kill your run, and then you'd have to repeat the exact same scenarios again.

I adore randomized roguelikes (where you get to enthuse over the luck of the draw, and face a new encounter each time- and thus not have it feel grindy, or like you're simply patiently waiting for the stars to align.).
    This is going to devour all of my time and/or soul, I can already tell.

Though, I can totally respect the perspective of anyone that finds that sort of randomization as frustrating, or more frustrating than manticores, given how it's arranged.
    Luckily, the more puzzle-like Manticores already exist and will keep coming out regularly [presumably], so everyone can be happy ;)

Though, Manticores have been getting more and more amazing each recent go.
    That last map of the most recent Manticore? Super duper fun, probably the most fun I've had on any map in the game so far. :D

And, if nothing else, CoC offers a great alternative to bandit farming, when fairy hasn't yet reset.
    And that alone addresses a major weakness in the game's current PvE setup.

Uhm, sorry, it's late and I'm rambly, so I'll tl;dr it:
    Can't wait <3

3beaner and Christofff like this.
  15. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Here is a simple version based upon past experience and set to the tune of Row, Row, Row Your Boat.

Open map again,
    3 elf wizard team.
    Marksmen and Wyverns,
    The Burning Fiends sizzle us.
    Blame the RNG.

The Nukes, Stexe, CT5 and 4 others like this.
  16. Fortaleza

Fortaleza Orc Soldier

Return to the Caverns of Chaos will have the same rewards was Caverns of Chaos (i.e. first guaranteeing a rare or better item; the last three battles reward epics or better) ?

17. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

No, return has normal singleplayer rewards for its battles, but a guaranteed rare+ for completion.

18. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

In light of the time and effort involved, I think the levels where CoC gives epics could warrant rares. I suspect it would still be below the MP time/reward ratio, but you'd be a better tester for that than I would. Just something you (and Jon) might consider in the future, depending upon how it plays out.
    I'll probably still do my farming in the campaign, and use CoC as a change of pace. Probably while waiting for the Loot Fairy to move.

DunDunDun likes this.
  19. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Improving loot down the line is something no one will complain about, whereas nerfing it because it's too good would make a lot of people sad. For now Return to CoC will stay normal loot just to be safe, and it's mostly there as a bonus mode of play that cost 5 minutes to build once I'd finished CoC :)

Rev_John, Stexe, wavy and 5 others like this.
  20. Christofff

Christofff Guild Leader

Must...stop...revisiting link...and reading about CoC goodness...

Only 4 more days to go...

Edit- @CT5, I'm really impressed with your CH videos and how you use LoS and anticipate moves, so if you could do one or two while playing CoC, I'd really appreciate it.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
    ParodyKnaveBob likes this.