Advantages to doing challenge quests in co-op

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Vacuity, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Vacuity

Vacuity Ogre

Are there any?

I can see where there's a practical advantage when asked to run a party of only wizards or something similar, as it's easier to have a decent deck for each that way, but otherwise...?

2. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

You get bonus loot when you complete a quest in coop.

3. Vholes

Vholes Thaumaturge

Am I crazy or is "playing with friends" not a big advantage to coöp? :p

4. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

The reason why I do it is mostly because the nimbus priest and firestorm wizard strat is SOOOO much better when you only have to worry about 2 characters(-1 character but +1 draw each for the same total draw).

5. Vacuity

Vacuity Ogre

I had absolutely no idea about that! I knew the loot fairy and Hidden Bandit (which I've never found) gave extra rares (or better) in co-op, but I thought that was it.
    Absolutely, but when it comes to challenge quests rather than regular adventure-farming, or loot fairy run, you kinda do want a friend, not some random "friend" as you know you're going to work together better (and hopefully save some gold). As I've only been 'back' a couple of weeks, my list of friends is not so big.
    That makes a lot of sense, but probably only really works at higher level dungeons and dungeons with no (or lenient) victory locations.

I think there's a lot of stuff missing on the wiki. Searching the wiki for "loot fairy" returns nothing. Searching for "hidden bandit" returns nothing. Searching for "challenge" returns nothing useful. Searching for "quest" offers a footnote on the Experience page. Searching for "server reset" returns nothing. These are all things it's worth knowing about.

Edit: also info on loot drops for PVE; what levels of loot can drop from what level adventure as the most obvious example.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  6. Assussanni

Assussanni Ogre

I've posted these suggestions (fully credited to you) in the wiki thread to bring it to the attention of the people who administrate it. I hope that's okay.

Vacuity likes this.
  7. Vacuity

Vacuity Ogre

No problem at all! If I had the foggiest clue how to work with wikis, I'd be willing to do some of the work myself, I guess. But I haven't a clue where to start. And if I was to put in work like that, I should probably spend that effort on certain other projects I'm responsible for with other games. ;)

8. Vakaz

Vakaz Guild Leader

I think it also allows replaying quests you've already completed assuming the party leader hasn't beaten them yet, which is a nice perk.

timeracers and Vacuity like this.
  9. Vacuity

Vacuity Ogre

This post by DunDunDun from two months ago specifically states that quests do not give any extra rewards when done co-op. I guess that Flaxative knows better...? I think this kind of conflicting information is an even better reason for having a definitive answer somewhere like the wiki.

karadoc and DunDunDun like this.
  10. DupleX

DupleX Champion of Cardhuntria

There is no bonus loot for completing quests, however you do get normal quest loot even if you have already completed the quest (but the team leader has not).
    Proof:
    duplex.jpg

Tuplex.jpg

DunDunDun likes this.
  11. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

Ha, I was specifically about to comment on that, nice timing.

According to Farbs, the Quests-giving-extra-loot was an early typo in the cardhunter.com announcement (where Quests were mentioned in the same comment as Loot Fairy and Bandit, implying it also got bonus loot).

Quests have never actually provided extra loot, HOWEVER, you CAN replay the usually one-time-only Quests by having someone who has not completed them before host the co-op party to run them.
    [This was intentional from the start, as a sort of encouragement for older players to co-op with newer ones, and to provide more opportunities to play Quests.]

So, in that sense, there IS a benefit to playing co-op Quests- just, a roundabout one :)

Edit: Tsk, @DupleX snuck right on in there, didn't he. :rolleyes:

Edit2:
    @Vacuity Note that Flaxative has indicated the reward for Quests is two rares, and I haven't since checked to confirm what the actual case is, so that bit of the referenced post may be incorrect. :)

12. [Melvin]Incorrect.[/Melvin]

karadoc, Fry and DunDunDun like this.
  13. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

Semi-related sidenote:
    I'm still a fan of the idea players were throwing around, of making Bandit apply to the entire party when someone finds it.
    That would so greatly encourage co-op play..
    Nevermind sharing the thrill of finding the bandit with everyone else in the party :)

14. Vacuity

Vacuity Ogre

This is probably true. I've played a few quests over the last week and a half or so, and I'm near certain I've not had fewer than two rares.

I just posted my own idea for tweaking the Hidden Bandit to encourage further play, particularly co-op play.

15. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Whoops. Goes to show my roots and tendencies: always repeat the party's propaganda, even if it was a mistake... :(

16. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

Don't you mean.. an error?
    A sorc-error, even? =O

17. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

I don't know whether everything needs to be in the wiki. Certainly it can be, volunteers willing, but the FAQ already has a huge amount of information. For example: Loot Fairy, Hidden Bandit, Centurion Challenge, Quests.

18. Vholes

Vholes Thaumaturge

I think most players assume a game wiki is a go-to source for all information. I suggest linking to the FAQ prominently on its front page. But maybe call it something else — "Comprehensive FAQ" is like naming the Oxford English Dictionary "Top 300,000 Most Popular Words."

Fry likes this.
  19. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

Feels like it's still missing a few things, though.

That joke made, @Vacuity , as long as you don't expect everything to be on the wiki, but rather, spread out on the FAQs as well, we've a very dedicated community providing a wealth of information and support.

As Jarmo said, it's NICE if people have the time to add more to the wiki, but it's not like the information isn't out there and easily accessible.

Rather- it's a wiki.
    Feel free to add in what you think it's missing :)

20. Vacuity

Vacuity Ogre

The FAQ is an awesome piece of work, but from experience, I'd guess users are much more likely to look for a wiki (and these days Youtube videos) when they want to know more about a game than they are to look up the game's forums. The forums here are nice and civilised, but that's frequently not the case for computer games and there's also a tendency for people to take the attitude that a game's forums are for its hardcore fans. A presumption that's frequently not out of place.