Aloyzo's Arsenal #2 Peer Feedback & Discussion

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Pawndawan, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

This thread is for getting feedback and discussing items submitted to Aloyzo's Arsenal #2: Custom Item Submissions! thread. Please repost and/or link your item here, if you'd like some feedback.

Remember to also check out the "official" AA #2 feedback / review / result video:

Please discuss / give feedback only about past Aloyzo's Arsenal #2: Custom Item Submissions here. I think we should keep things organized and start a new thread, once the next submission cycle (AA #3) is over.

Other item discussion should be kept in Smithy- Build your own Items thread. Remember that AA rules prohibit discussing about current AA submissions.

You can get a link for specific forum post by clicking the timestamp at the bottom of the post:
    [​IMG]

Hopefully this will further help people to design better items for the upcoming AA rounds and also scratch the "I-was-ignored" itch. :)

I've catalogued all AA item submissions into spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...SRME5UkihnNYmdJJf5ekZ5njdw/edit#gid=239168760 if anyone wants to do some data digging.

[​IMG]

Let the discussion begin! :)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  2. billiska

billiska Ogre

Thanks for the great stats, Pawndawan.

Like everybody else, I'd love some feedback on my item this time.
    Personally, I don't like to "do not discuss current submissions" rule. :(
    Anyway, let me give a sales pitch now that it's allowed.

First, the submission is basically a fix of my AA1 submission which was discarded because it uses monster's cards.
    I begin with the slot of 'card that is only good for mage but not warrior' by replacing Fork with Arcane Shell.
    Arcane Shell was also commented as something that is pretty ok to give mages more access to.
    I'd like to think that Arcane Shell on elf skill is completing the spectrum with Frenzy Aura on dwarf skill at the opposite end.
    I didn't have a good reason for picking Reflexive Teleport over Dodge other than I just want to see more Reflexive Teleport, I guess.
    Now that I think about it, I could go from (majortoken) to (minortoken) if I picked dodge instead.
    Elven Maneuvers is there because I thought it would go with the armor of arcane shell and the last AA winner dynamic staff.

If this submission was picked, I was also going try to use it with elf priest with radiation attacks.
    (and priest with radiation attacks is kind of the next thing I want to design an item for)

Please let me know what you think.
    Also, I think I'll change my approach in creating item to emphasize the fun factor more.
    (I was going to submit something for fun like 'MC Hammer's baggy pants/shoes' ... but I was prioritizing on the item that will improve the lives of the poor underclass of cardhunteria that is elf wizard.)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
    ParodyKnaveBob and Pawndawan like this.
  3. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

That's for current submissions — feel free to discuss the items now :p

For what it's worth, I didn't discuss your item because it seemed too weak to get excited about. Paying a major token for Arcane Shell/Reflexive Teleport is a little sad in my opinion. This is mostly a problem with Reflexive Teleport being overvalued, and also Arcane Shell just isn't that great (you need to play about seven attacks before it becomes 'worth it' as a gold card). That said your item has a good flavor and there's nothing wrong with it. Keep up the good work.

4. Rebel7284

Rebel7284 Ogre

I will discuss my submission - Trained Archery: http://forums.cardhunter.com/thread...ustom-item-submissions.7913/page-2#post-96707

I am a big fan of Dungeons and Dragons, and one thing that elves get in D&D (3.5) is racial weapon proficiency in longsword, rapier, longbow and shortbow. This made elves pretty unique as even elven mages and elven clerics have great options for a good ranged weapon at early levels. With several arrows already being part of the game, I felt it was time to give elves a shot (pun intended) at reconnecting more with their D&D heritage and giving them a SMALL number of ranged options.

Some things I have thought about:
    - It's a blue token on purpose, something so unique should cost something to equip.
    - Obviously the other cards need to be very elfy.
    - It's not overpowered for ANY of the classes.
    • Wizards have tons of amazing ranged attacks already. One more penetrating attack is nice but won't change much.
    • Priests already have a few reasonable ranged options in things like Radiation Bomb
    • Warriors would get something new. However, they would get ONE ranged option in their whole deck and they would need to give up Cautious Mobility. Seems like a fair trade.
    Overall, I felt like Trained Archery would be the best, most flavorful, and perfectly balanced way to introduce elf archers into the game.

I am glad to hear that my submission led to some discussion among the developers, and even though the idea was rejected for now, I am hopeful that their outlook will change as the game evolves.

Pawndawan likes this.
  5. billiska

billiska Ogre

Dev made it very clear since AA1 that they mostly likely will not print cards that players don't already have access to.
    If you have interesting ideas like this but surely it wouldn't be picked in the near future, it's better to post it to Smithy- Build your own Items rather than the AA contest.
    Or you are just missing out your chance. (And the dev will have to remind people every single month that they won't print non-player cards.)

6. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

No it is not like that, they suggested you don't because they are likely unbalanced and may have other concerns.

7. Juxtapostion

Juxtapostion Hydra

So, I am thinking, when Dubious Heritage DOES become an item, it should be BOTH a Dwarf, AND an Elf skill.

ParodyKnaveBob, Stexe and Pawndawan like this.
  8. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

Obviously nothing will have multiple slots it works for.

9. Juxtapostion

Juxtapostion Hydra

Another thing.
    Tell me you do not want Ninja Tabi, go ahead, tell me... You Cant! I mean so good! Who does not want Ninja Tabi to be a thing! It's not everyday that a pair of boots that fly walks into the room. And, you can sure as hell bet I'm the one wearing them. Pure flavor, pure awesome. Nuff Said.

Pawndawan likes this.
  10. Rebel7284

Rebel7284 Ogre

Most likely is not the same as a hard requirement. It was a calculated gamble. ;)

Flaxative likes this.
  11. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

I don't want Ninja Tabi to be a thing, because it's simply too powerful.
    I might use it if it existed, but in that game I'd probably opt for Fireball/Fireball/Savage Curse boots. ;)

12. Xayrn

Xayrn Hydra

My first month's submission was admittedly a bit silly, but I'm honestly a bit surprised I didn't even get a mention this time around.
    Careful Thinker - Uncommon (minortoken)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    What's not to like about this skill? It's playable, it's thematic, and it helps diversify the currently priest-centric world of humans. Forward Thinking is theoretically a good trait; it lets your warrior hang onto an extra Dodge or armor, or your wizard reliably stack an Arcane Aura on top of that pair of Cooling Lasers, but it's currently impossible to build around since you can only get a single copy in your deck. With this skill we could reasonably expect to see the archetypal tank warrior as something other than a dwarf, and cards like Cooling Laser could potentially become more than just a fun gimmick.

So I'm very interested, what are everyone else's thoughts on this skill? I could see it being viewed as too powerful with armors, but it's important to keep in mind that you're also relying on an attachment to keep that extra Reliable Mail with this.

Accent, Maniafig and Pawndawan like this.
  13. Wildarm

Wildarm Ogre

<Rant>

A bit confused on why this item was chosen to be made. Well, I guess I'm not really getting the logic for item choices for AA so far in general. I tend to compare items alongside others of similar item cost and card content when making builds. Both items chosen so far have a huge overlap with better(IMO) lower costed and lower rarity cards.

Compare Dynamic Staff(common) with Surging staff(common). Paying a Blue->Gold token upgrade cost to turn two long sparks into a Surging Blast and Unstable Bolt. Worth it? Not particularly. Different flavor? Not much.

Compare Ball and Chain(epic) with Naugus Hide Boots(rare). You're paying a blue token to turn weak strike and arcane feedback into lunging bash and trip(!). Not a choice I would make for my deck. Many better blue token boots out there with VS, LB or better traits/handicaps.

I realize we don't need to have every month being a new must have item but I feel AA items should be usable, cool and fairly unique(since they are being hand crafted). In particular I would like to see items that open up new build options. I love the flavor if this item but another sub-par high rarity set of boots is not really what we need in the item pool. We have PLENTY of those. At least it's not legendary I guess. :(

</Rant>

Love seeing the item ideas from folks. Trained Archery or Dubious Heritage would have gotten my vote this time around. Fun, unique and usable.

Fortaleza likes this.
  14. j3st3ri

j3st3ri Thaumaturge

I can see why the item was chosen. (cards complement well the concept)

Other than that, the item is awful; if I want boots with Violent Spin and a handicap, I'd choose the tokenless and more common Naugus Hide Boots. (with minor token, I'd choose Infernal Boots instead)

15. Fry

Fry Ogre

I think the official feedback video should be in the feedback and discussion thread, rather than the submission thread

16. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Feel free to embed it if you think people want a reference in this thread. But since it's the winner announcement video I'll be posting it in the contest thread—not a user-created thread for peer feedback that is usually posted after the announcement ;)

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  17. So there are no tokenless boots for crushing warriors which is why I made my item (it's on the first page). I wasn't sure whether I should have included Shuffle as the move instead. What do you guys think about that and the item overall?

18. Fry

Fry Ogre

The winner announcement is like 2% of the video, the other 98% is feedback.

19. j3st3ri

j3st3ri Thaumaturge

And why should there be such an item? Next you'll want a tokenless helmet with bashes, right?

But to be honest, your design seems way too powerful; at the moment, there isn't even a minor token boots with 2 x Lunging Bash.

20. billiska

billiska Ogre

Indeed, the reason it was dropped was probably because it is more of a weapon than a boot.