New player looking for build advice

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by Greenja, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Greenja

Greenja Kobold

Hey guys, so I started playing this game a little after the Steam release and I just have to say it's AWESOME :)

I've been having a lot of fun in Campain and MP (mostly MP ^^) over the last few days. I recently found the Cult of Bejeweled build and even though I only had 2 of the items (and only 1 bejeweled shortsword, doh!) I made the best approximation of it that I could and it's been great, I'm hovering around 1300 rating, but variety is the spice of life and I'd like to try some other party compositions!

So what I was hoping for from you lovely people was some basic build outlines / guides / starting points for some other popular / effective builds.

I've been coming across quite a few 2 Warr / Priest and 2 Wiz / Priest opponents, and a few 3 Wiz teams too.

Would anyone be able to help me out with where to start for these parties? I found a guide to a "Burrft" build, has a lot of legendaries etc in there though, but it's something to work towards ^^ .

Being very new to this game I have no idea what items etc I should be looking out for and don't have enough experience yet to start making my own effective decks.

Any help would be appreciated greatly, doesn't have to be just for the mentioned compositions, anything that you think is good and would give me some ideas to go from would be great!

Thanks for any help guys.

Edit: Sorry I forgot to mention, I'm only really looking for help with MP builds! There is another thread like this one asking for build help in this sub forum but it is focussed on SP decks.

2. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

Hi @Greenja and welcome to our community! ;)

While I won't go into too much detail with specific builds compositions, I'll try and give you a few hints. First of all, The Rate My Randimar's and Daily Deal threads are full of item reviews. A list of notable (pre-EttSC) items has also been recently posted in this thread, which can also serve as a quick reference to some very good/popular pieces equipment.

You can also browse the wiki for info about all the cards/items in the game and much more! It's very handy.

As for specific MP builds, you can browse the Deck Building sub-forum and find tons of great builds. As a newer player, it's perfectly normal for you to lack most of the best items for any given build (especially those relaying on lots of legendaries/epics), but you can generally make good approximations of the concept with what you have available in your collection and in the shops.

Also, you can spectate other players MP matches and see what kind of builds/strategies they are using. Spectating is a great way to learn more about what works in MP!

Definitely don't refrain from experimenting with your own builds, that can be great fun!

Christofff and Mr. Magnifico like this.
  3. Deepweed

Deepweed Thaumaturge

This is definitely the best bit of advice. The more you experiment with what you have, the more you actually get to know how the game works and you get to know what you would like to have. Besides, with the new items maybe you could be making the next meta build.

4. Christofff

Christofff Guild Leader

It also pays to look at yourself.

Do you prefer aggressive decks, combo, control, and/or attrition? Also, is being competitive or experimenting the most important thing to you? (No need to answer btw;))

For me, I like to be the first to come up with innovati e ideas that break the meta, even if it means making terrible decks from time-to-time.

You also need to be commited. Unless it is a complete mess or totally unsuited to the current series of maps, you need to play at least 10 games with the core of tbe deck intact, to understand how to play it best and when to maximise cards.
    Don't give up just because of a couple of bad losses.

5. doog37

doog37 Hydra

More general advice. Stay focused with builds. it is IMPOSSIBLE to have a build that will have an advantage against all builds so try to make sure you have a strategy that will work consistently, e.g. if you need Sprint, Team to be drawn and you only have 1 you will not do very well. Generally the best wizard items are the hardest to get with warrior items (e.g. double edge sword and bejeweled) having more common/uncommon options. It is tempting to tinker with builds constantly but you want to make 1 or 2 changes at a time. The lure of a new legendary item can throw off something that was working well.

Pay attention to maps, typically on the 1st of the month they change and the size of maps is critical. What works great on a spread out map can be useless in tight quarters and vice versa. Since there tends to be 3-4 maps you can't plan perfectly but understand mobility and spacing.

Extra movement is rarely bad, cards that do 2 things are usually good e.g. step attacks. If you have a priest don't forget to add purge or purge burst.

However make small changes, the best builds are about balance between attacks, defense, movement and control. You don't need to be great at everything but understand that balance. Many people turn good builds bad by adding too much damaging attacks, but then ignore mobility or completely disregard defense. Blocks are the best defense against few big attacks, armor (especially reliable mail) are the best against many small attacks. Remember the power of traits. They make your decks effectively smaller meaning key cards are drawn more frequently.Perilous Ringmail is often used just for the traveling curse shortening a deck.

The most important thing is to pay attention when you play. How did you win, why did you lose? Try to see what items your opponent is using (you can click on any cards exposed in hand to see the item it comes from, which doesn't work for battle log) or even have the game pause each card.

Finally visit shops daily if you have any gold to spend. Avoid buying rare/epic/legendary items until you know you have all of the common/uncommons you want. You joined at a great time with a new expansion just hitting. There are lots of new items and cards that people are still learning about. Look for combos that no one else is playing. Try out items (slowly) to see how they work for you. Is Force Field better than Impen. Nimbus? How often do you get to keep Auto Block?

Have fun and realize sometime the RNG is not in your favor.

Sir Veza and Mr. Magnifico like this.
  6. Davidoff9000

Davidoff9000 Kobold

How can i easily send my deck in this forum?

7. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Press the F1 key and type
    partyanddecksbbcode
    and press Enter
    into the black command prompt
    then paste into a forum post.
    The command writes the party data into the OS clipboard.

kustaa likes this.
  8. Davidoff9000

Davidoff9000 Kobold

It worked!:) This is my deck! Im already playing card hunter for a long time. Any suggestions for improvement?

Vrey
    Level 3 Human Priest

Gandalf
    Level 18 Human Wizard

Ragnar
    Level 18 Elf Warrior

9. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

Nice items! You don't have to show off most of your legendaries in your build though. I wonder whether Mouse Boots would be better for your priest instead of Lt. Buckwell's Boots? Frenzy Aura seems a bit weird too, since those Duality Maces have so few attacks? Maybe add some purges with your armor (eg. Ritual Straps)?

Your divine items are all over the place. Maybe try to focus to card drawing support or those new radiation spells? Bleneth's Skull is strong, but you usually get more for your power token if you run two warriors with it.

Eeygonnic's Shield is great tokenless shield, but maybe you can try switching for Aegis Of The Defender if your priest hangs in back?

Wizard's staves are nicely focused, but arcane items and skill don't really support them. Try switching to Focused Pyromancy if you really want to burn things down. Trait cycling in class skill is usually better bet than attacks, unless you really want to max certain cards (eg. Advanced Levitation).

Balancing wizard's damage and control spells in 111 build is usually tricky. You can try going all-in with fire spells and stock up Glob Of Flames and Flame Jets (and armor removal) or free up the arcane skill token (try Electroporter Novice) and pack good control items (and terrain / Accelerate Time). IMHO good old Runestone is better than Locket Of The Gale and even Bloody Bracelet, so maybe try with those.

The elf warrior is solid CoB build. You can get some inspiration from the original CoB thread or Neoncat's version. Although you run Leadership with your priest, maybe you have too many Officer's Harness? I'd start with the boots, do you want to draw Flanking Moves or step attacks with Elven Maneuvers? Crusty Helm instead of Captain Cedric's Helm might get you to the good stuff faster. You can also experiment moving that minor token from martial skill to armor, boots or helmet.

Lastly, I should advice you to make changes gradually or at least play with new items enough so you really know what works for you and what doesn't. You might also need to tweak or complety change your build depending on the current map rotation or meta. As others have said earlier, there isn't universal build that beats everything reliably. :)