FAQ and Glossary - Questions, Comments, Suggestions and Corrections

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Scarponi, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

A new one for the FAQ, plucked from the MP chat (thanks for the Q&A, guys, hope you don't mind me copying it!):
    @ShadowDreamer says: when 2 people are being hit by an AOE, and it triggers a defenders block, how does it determine who that block is applied to? Is it closest to AoE center or closest to Caster or what?
    @Stexe says: it applies to the target on the left
    Stexe says: and then middle and then right
    Stexe says: we lost a game in the tournament on Saturday due to that
    Stexe says: left as in party order, not placement on the map
    ShadowDreamer says: kk, that was gonna be my next q :p

Stexe and Sir Veza like this.
  2. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

I'll add this, though Stexe's answer isn't strictly accurate.

EDIT: Added, though it doesn't quite answer the question per se. Let me know if you have any ideas how I could improve it.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
    Stexe likes this.
  3. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

You might want to explain the order of which multiple targets will roll. I thought it was based on party order? So if all 3 characters are being hit by an Arcane Burst (what happened in the tournament), then it rolls D Block for the left most character in the party, then middle, then last. If any of them trigger it then it stops and simply hits the others. Although how does that work with multiple D Blocks? If one person blocks it with D Block does it continue to the next in party or what? In our match we had 3 D Blocks and got nuked constantly by 3 Arcane Blasts hitting all 3 of us for a lot of rolls.

4. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Nope, bursts will target the middle square of the burst first, then from the SW corner up to the NE corner going a N/S column at a time.

Did you read the post linked that you quoted?

5. Stexe

Yes, I just didn't read the links on the links which probably answers it. Really wish they did away with how they calculate squares since it is overly complicated from a user perspective and favors certain sides slightly more than others, but what can you do.

6. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Well this:
    is specifically answered in the last paragraph of the Defender's Block post.

As to the general overall question (who it triggers for), it's different for every class of aoe attack, which I tried to make clear in the DB post.

7. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Thanks, Scarponi! Very clear and comprehensive! You really know your Card Hunter stuff! You must be the most informed about the game besides the devs by now! Exclamation mark!

8. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Depends on the dev ... actually, he probably has more up-to-date game knowledge than any one of us devs. Jon and I are constantly checking with each other/you guys, "I think this works this way..."

9. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

:) Let's not fool anyone, there are plenty of things in the faq I had to go test before I could say yay or nay for sure.

Sir Veza likes this.
  10. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Well, now that you've done that, you probably also remember the details better than anyone. Lots of memory hooks for your brain to grab onto when you formulate theories, test, adjust, retest and document them. We who just read about them once can't possibly compete.

Sir Veza and Stexe like this.
  11. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Added the CH map compass as well as a slide back map.

Also removed the following line from the slide back entry as it is not technically true at the moment:
    In reality this applies to cone attacks, not slide back attacks. This is why cards like Rook Push don't move furthest to closest.

EDIT: Also added direction orientations to the "Cardinal" and "Diagonal" entries, as well as clarifying the order of effect in the "Burst" entry.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
    Jarmo and Stexe like this.
  12. Stexe

I'm curious about the compass. How does North matter for anything? Couldn't the listed East be North or is there some reason for their classification?

13. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

It's identified in the map builder by the spawn points' facing. Now how BM decided what was North I have no idea.

Stexe likes this.
  14. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

It matters that we have some consistent way to describe directions to our teammates. Poking around a bit online, it seems this discussion has happened in other games too. Up/down/left/right are probably the safest terms to use.

15. Stexe

Love Spryfox (hoping to hear one of their talks at GDC again this year). I was referring to how it impacts the actual game, not just social conventions. Scarponi answered it since in the editor it refers to that (I would have said "North" is their "East" had you asked me on the spot though).

16. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Yeah I decided to add it not so much for game play, though it will likely be helpful of co-op, as much as for the fact that it was starting to be necessary to be able to refer to a standard convention for other aspects of the game that I was putting in the document (such as order of effect for burst attacks).

17. Accent

Accent Hydra

18. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

The card doesn't mention base damage anywhere. It probably won't trigger against cards like Punishing Bolt (where the damage calculation takes place after the block check) but any buffs that trigger before block checks should be counted.

19. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Well as you can see in the FAQ under the Anatomy of an Attack, blocks don't trigger until step 10.3, therefore any damage that has been added to the base attack prior to that point would be calculated as part of that attack's damage for the block.

20. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Also, the server does NOT change its clocks for Daylight Savings.